Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 687284 times)

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #3125 on: June 24, 2009, 02:41:55 AM »

Initiative is always a nice perk when the game starts turning into rocket tag; the thing in FFVIII is you have so few slots that it's very hard to justify it once you have a lot of junctions.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: June 24, 2009, 03:45:58 AM »
Ar Tonelico- Just finished the first Dive into Misha, whose voice is incredibly annoying. Diving is more or less as transparent a metaphor as merging is in Aquarion, but somehow Aquarion pulled it off with a hilarious yet unsubtle finesse thats not present in AT. I blame the writers. Gameplay is eh.

Hesitant to update my Backloggery cause... well, look at it.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: June 24, 2009, 04:11:27 AM »
This is partially why Defend is better than Auto Potion and Initiative. Since Defend is a command, it doesn't replace an ability slot but a command slot. Not that many commands are useful since Attack/Limit are default and is probably the best command in FF8 >_>. You're other choices for decent commands are Recover, Revive, Treatment, Card, Draw and Magic. So Defend being used isn't completely out of the question. I've used it more than MAD RUSH and DEVOUR for instance.

On the other hand, Auto Potion and Initiative have to deal with Bonus abilities before level 100, Stat+X% abilities even after level 100, Auto Haste, Auto Protect, Mug and basically a crap load of other more useful stuff before you would use these unless you needed for something very specific. It beats...uh...Kamikaze and Med Data? So yeah. Doesn't help as Meeple pointed out that Initiative outside of hunting cactuars is a waste in FF8 since very few things can take advantage of the fact that you don't have it.

But this is getting way into the realm of FF8 theory so...
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: June 24, 2009, 05:21:56 AM »
Baroque - this game is weeeird.  I...think I'm making progress?  kinda hard to say.

Godhand - I beat up the midget power rangers.  Now THAT's progress.  Game gets a lot better as it goes along.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: June 24, 2009, 06:23:48 AM »
So...I'm sorry to say, but...I can't write ToS2 Abridged.

Why?

Cause Tales games are already generally light hearted, with a playful cast, and skits and everything, to the point where its making a parody of something already relatively comical.  The end result is just fail.  This is contrast to Star Ocean 4 where the game pretty much took itself seriously outside of PAs, which are far less than skits, and...yeah, it just doesn't work.  I tried writing episode 2, and I just wasn't liking what I was writing.  So yeah, sorry to disappoint people, but there will be no more; yes, I wrote one episode but by episode 2, I just realized it wasn't working, where as SO4 I was able to actually flow with it.

ANYWAY...

Tales of Symphonia 2:
Just finished Chap 2!  I was disappointed that a certain red haired flirt didn't join here.  Oh, I know, he's going to join later on, but would have been nice having a 3rd human PC in this dungeon...sad as this dungeon was <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:06 AM »
Clearly this means you need to switch to Chaos Wars, Meeple.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3131 on: June 24, 2009, 06:49:40 AM »
I want to see the Tears of Blood Abridged Series by Meeple, personally.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:18 AM »
I want to see the Tears of Blood Abridged Series by Meeple, personally.

...no.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: June 24, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
Godhand - I beat up the midget power rangers.  Now THAT's progress.  Game gets a lot better as it goes along.

First time or second time?

Also, for me...

Disgaea 2 - Got Adell up to level 245.  I'm really starting to think I should let other characters get a turn, and MAYBE go get Yukimaru.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »
Well, Initiative has one purpose;

To help you level up

I see a flaw there.

And well yeah the point isn't that Omega is ridiculous or anything like that.  He may be a joke now, but a joke of a boss is better than a boss that uses retarded abilities that are normally useless still stands.  You randomise him and you have to do retarded things.  Fuck retarded things.  Minerva does it right.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:01 AM »
EF - MILD KEIL CRYSTALS TIME FOR RANDOM REFIGHTS

Also, Reiji for game-best PC. That spirit selection in conjunction with the firepower is just wrong.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: June 24, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
Well, Initiative has one purpose;

To help you level up

I see a flaw there.

And well yeah the point isn't that Omega is ridiculous or anything like that.  He may be a joke now, but a joke of a boss is better than a boss that uses retarded abilities that are normally useless still stands.  You randomise him and you have to do retarded things.  Fuck retarded things.  Minerva does it right.

I said it was *A* purpose, didn't say it was a GOOD purpose.  And its not leveling, its raising AP!  There's a noticiable difference in FF8!  (actually, I state this cause I can't tell if its "lol grinding" or "lol FF8 level ups" comment, so I figure I'd cover both.)

This makes initiative about as useful as Setzer's Dice!

...no, I take that back.  SEtzer's Dice has a use in the Colosseum, being a weapon that can instantly kill Cactrots, and is on a character who has an unusable special in the colosseum, so if you haven't done an Early Kefka's Tower raid, its good for them!

...yeah, I'm not helping, am I?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: June 24, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Ahhh yeah I forgot Catuars don't give experience in FF8 and they are Movers instead of usual Cactuar thing.  But yeah, that is what Card is for anyway >_>
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »
Cactuars are actually very inconsistent in terms of what they drop!

FF6, they were cash + Magic AP
FF7, they were...fuck if I know, I never fought them.
FF8, AP.
FF9, EXP.
FF10, they were...shit, EXP again I guess?  Its that or Gil; I know they also dropped Innitiative and I THINK SOS Haste or something like that items.

And while Card gets the job done, Cactuars are more efficient than Card due to giving you 20 a fight, with like 1-2 EXP per kill.  The downside, of course, is they aren't available til Disc 3, but they're good for raising GFs you get on DIsc 3 like Phantom Train or Bahamut.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: June 24, 2009, 04:06:09 PM »
I haven't started quite yet, but I am plotting doing a

MEGAMAN 1 SPEEDRUN!!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: June 24, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
HOI2- Played this all day yesterday. Brazil took over south and central america while the US had massive dissent problems. Mmm. Donno what I'm playing next.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:23 PM »
How did you not get Reimi's ending? I thought the game handed it to you like a Claude/Rena ending, like something you have to try not to get.

I think not rooming with her and watching one of her shower PAs pissed her off >_>

Second bonus dungeon is not fun and made me quit.

Yeah. Might try tackling that properly after doing the battle arena, looks like it requires a whole lot of time and patience though. I should probably leave it to a weekend if I do decide to go for it. What am I supposed to do anyway? Beat up enemies for stones?

SO4- Cleared the first post game dungeon. Defeated the super boss with Meracle at L109. The Blindside X Claw juggle method. It's not as easy as it looks in the videos, I'll have to practice at it so that it works better next time ^_^ Haven't done any IC yet equipment wise but I might for the second optional dungeon, in an attempt to make it as quick and as painless as possible. I dunno though I kinda wanted to defeat Iseria without IC =-(

Niu - Thanks. If I don't get Reimi's ending by rooming with her and finishing off funeral boquet PAs (I still have Sarah, Arumat and Crowe's to do) I shall feed her those potions ^_^
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:21:09 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
P4 - 8-bit Hero defeated! Void Quest was a fine dungeon, and the boss... whew. Went in with 1/2 to 1/3 SP on my various party members and woefully understocked on healing items, so he put up a nasty fight. Exhaustion kinda sucks when you don't have enough status healing items and are already low on SP. Fortunately, Power Charging Oni came to the rescue; with PC, and Tarukaja from Chie, I was able to do over 400 with Gigantic Fist (holy high defenses Batman!) and break 700 on a crit. Believe me, it was back-to-back crits breaking his shell quickly that saved me from running out of resources towards the end, especially after an untimely miss let him build it up.

Oh, and he's totally rankable. Just... dunno about right now.

Now for a brief stretch of S. Links. Mall scene with Ai, Teddie, and Yosuke was interesting at least. Expression is Enthralling now, so Nanako S. Link, and also working on Chie, Yosuke, Rise, and Yukiko.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:01 PM »
EF - STOREBOUGHT +250 SP ACCESSORIES HELL YEAH

Also, Xiaomu currently has 427 base SP (777 SP with the equips I gave her) and I'm L38 with her. Something tells me SP pools be deep at endgame.

EDIT: AND Reiji also has a DL-legal +60 SP accessory! Welp, so much for his game-worst SP.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: June 24, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
I dunno though I kinda wanted to defeat Iseria without IC =-(

Close to impossible, I'll be blunt. You'll likely run out of healing resources. This is assuming you have much left when you get to her.... And don't let me start on her offence. It is either you rush mode abuse with IC or feel the pain.
G.Celeste and I.Queen both have 3 forms this time, so don't think it is over just by beating them once.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: June 24, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »

First time or second time?

First.  I'm just glorying in a new set of moves that have made the game a thoroughly nicer experience.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: June 24, 2009, 11:59:30 PM »
In the random free time I've had, I've been playing a lot of Warcraft 3 Custom Maps.  Big one I've been playing?

Battleships Ghostbay

AoS kind of map, except it's all water.  Players control a ship (starting with the basic Sailor, all the way up to the mighty Ghost Ship) and work to destroy the opponent's harbour.  There are a bunch of maps in this series (Pro, Crossfire...), though Ghost Bay is probably the most-played one.  It's much more forgiving, and levels/money come a lot slower.  Interesting map.  I also feel like ranting, so...ship rankings!

Sailor
Everyone starts with this thing.  If for some reason you want to purchase one later?  200 gold.  Really, really bad.  Slow, frail (second frailest, after the Trader), skills aren't anything special.  Although, of note, it does have Captain's Cannon, which is a decent nuke against other Sailors, due to frailty.  As for skills, you have the Cannon, Hull Boost (HP boost, present on most ships), Sail Boost (speed boost, present on most ships), Repair Crew (Regeneration boost, present on most ships).  My usual build is Hull Boost and Repair Crew, to last a bit longer and to go with the close-range cannon barrage early.  Other viable options are mass rockets with Sail and Cannon/Repair, or a combination thereof.  It's hard to go wrong, since the ship is so weak overall - it's just specialization.

Trader
REALLY.  REALLY.  FRAIL.  Seriously, 75 HP.  You CANNOT use this ship for serious combat.  And it's only available in certain modes.  So what does it do?  It trades.  This is only kind of useful to start, but once a trader gets going and starts surviving, they can finance the entire team in seconds, do some crazy damage to the enemy, or, alternatively, finance themselves into a monstrosity in the course of a few minutes.  Unfortunately, you need to be competent - a dumb trader is not helpful, and only serves to feed money to the other team (every ship is worth a different bounty when killed - Traders are worth as much as the mid-tier ships), and if one team has one and the other doesn't, that team without one needs to make sure they kill it and keep them from building up.  As noted, the early trading is weak, but it gets exponentially better.  Thankfully, playing the Trader is made a bit easier - skills are designed entirely for survival.  Divine Shiled (invinicibility), Decoy (...uh...makes a decoy), Fog (invisibility), Sail boost (as above) and Teleport (...dur...).  Still, the Trader needs levels to get those, and ideally, needs to save up for a sail to start with to make things go faster.  I am not great with Trader, although I enjoy hunting them.  I...have played it once, and really...did ok, not outstanding.  Can't comment on it too much otherwise.  Worth noting that you need a little money to start (costs 400, you start with 200) using the Trader.

Crusader
The early-game ship everyone likes to use.  750 HP, decent speed, some armour, and a shitload of skills.  Sail boost, Hull repair, Net (disables a target, preventing them from moving for a short period of time), Fog, and Capsize (suicidal explosion that does a bunch of damage).  The Crusader is also cheap (1000), and also fun to annoy people with.  It almost necessitates getting something to sight invisible targets with, as Capsize is very powerful - at max level, it deals 1500 damage, with 300 damage to all surrounding targets.  Ships below Dominator will be killed unless they have boosted HP a bit.  The Crusader is a hero-ship killer, no doubt about it.  Invis with some good guns, net, blow the hell out of a ship, cap if you're going to die (taking someone with you and denying them money/experience for the kill).  A lot of people jump to this as the next tier after Sailor, as it's cheap and effective.  It's even useful late-game as a raider, and played well, can do some major damage.  Also great for Rage-Quits.  Biggest issues are that it is frail later (750 HP is not much), and you can counter it with a Goblin Scouter (although this is an advantage too - it takes up an inventory slot that could be used on something better for combat, and has a slight cost to the opponent).  

Interceptor
One of the three second tier ships.  This one is all about speed, the fastest ship in the game.  Decent enough HP and armour make it a huge step up over the Sailor.  Skills are really more helpful than they look - Hull Repair, Sail boost, Hull boost, Intercept (large speed boost for a time), Disrupt Beacon (prevents other ships from using special skills - including things like Capsize).  One of these on the team is really helpful, and this is another ship that works great late-game if played right.  Cost isn't even bad (1200).  These things are good raiders, and Disrupt Beacon is a great Crusader counter.  No real weaknesses that stand out - it is a bit weak in terms of ship strength (hull, regen, armour, etc.) end-game, but the skills are very powerful, and it can hold its own.

Sea Punisher
This is the last of the second tier ships, and the most team-oriented.  Skills are...unique.  Healing Wave (group healing), Hull Reconstruction (heals a ship over a few seconds for a decent amount of HP), Hull boost, Hull repair, Big Bad Voodoo (invincibility for allies).  Good armour and HP.  Really slow, though.  This thing needs a sail to be useful late-game, and even mid-game.  Very powerful in a team's hands when used correctly.  Of course, getting that in public games isn't always easy!  But yeah, this ship is the most advanced of the three second tiers (Crusader is the easiest, Interceptor is in the middle), but can do a lot in the right hands.  Used properly, I've had Bib Bad Voodoo be exceptionally useful in slaughtering an opponent team (ideally, the ship needs some items to make this last longer, particularly a hull), and the heals can save people from Capsizing Crusaders, and a mix of other attacks.  Always like having one of these, and if no one else takes one, I usually do.  Cost is barely more than an Interceptor (1300).

Dominator  
Third-tier ship.  Costs 2200.  Is probably my favourite ship, and a great one to even end the game with.  Skills are Hull Repair, Hull boost, Sail boost, Electromagnetic Pulse (large area damage that slows ships hit), Teleport (...uh...).  Good HP, enough armour, skills are great, though do require some experience.  EMP in particular has a charge-up time that people don't realize - if you see a Dominator stop, even for a second, RUN.  It's 500 damage, which is a lot to handle for smaller ships, and even damaged ones.  The ship isn't even slow - tied for 4th with the other ship in its class.  Overall great ship, that can benefit from any number of approaches to its use.

Destroyer
The other third-tier ship, costs a bit more (2500).  Same speed, skills are Hull Repair, Hull boost, Sail boost, Board Ship (stops a ship in place and deals damage to it), Slow Aura (slows down opponent ships).  This and the Dominator are very close for effectiveness - Slow Aura is a different take on Teleport, with less initial jump, but helps the team out and doesn't require active use.  Board Ship is...better than EMP for getting more hits in, but doesn't have the raw, immediate damage.  Destroyer is a bit more durable than Dominator, but overall, the ships play very similarly.  Tactics that work for one work for the other.  The third-tier is generally the tier I will stay in the longest, as the upgrades you buy for them work well enough in the next tier anyway.

Overlord
Tier four.  Overlord is big - more HP without Hull boost than a maxed Destroyer with a high level hull.  Skills are Hull boost, Hull Repair, Sail boost, Send Spy (gives sight of everything an opponent ship sees), Freeze Water (advanced EMP - stops target for a while and deals more damage when leveled).  A bit expensive (5000), but also is surprisingly faster than it seems.  Plays a lot like the Dominator, although the Freeze Water range is a bit shorter (but more powerful, so it balances).  Probably the biggest ship that sees use in casual play, though a great ship nonetheless - these things can tank for a while, and do some massive damage if used right.

Admiral Ship
The other Tier four.  8000 gold, which is a good chunk, but also has loads of HP, and is pretty fast despite its size (3rd fastest).  Skills that stand out (the normal 3 the others ships had still count) are Sail Ripper Cannon (300 damage and slows ship for a bit) and Overrun (large AoE random hitting attack that deals good damage to anything it hits).  Overrun is good for clearing the base, and taking out ships at a distance (it has a very large AoE).  It is a bit expensive, but feasible to access.  Great ship, and I consider it the practical ultimate of the game.  It can hero and base kill well, and is durable.

Ghost Ship
Tier five, the ultimate ship.  15000 gold.  2nd fastest, highest armour, highest HP, etc.  Skills are Hull boost, Hull repair, Sail boost, Ghost Raiders (ultimate skills that drains HP from opponents).  Way too expensive unless there's a good trader, or the other team is retarded.  Granted, really tough to kill, especially with the right set-up.  One can take out an entire team if used correctly (and the other team has no teamwork).  But...too costly to really be useful, for me.  Otherwise is the ultimate ship, though!

So...generally, I will jump either straight to Dominator, or go for a Tier two if needed.  I prefer the Interceptor, but will use the Punisher if we don't have one.  Of course, I'll have to talk about weapons next!  Maybe in a later post >_>
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: June 25, 2009, 05:28:59 AM »
Pokemon Fun Fact of the Day:  Sheer Cold triggers Rough Skin.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: June 25, 2009, 06:00:09 AM »
ToS2: Up to Chap 4!  Certain Half Elf siblings suddenly gained 7 levels between the chapter shift.  Methinks this suggests that they will be around for at least one more dungeon or something <_<

Finally getting the hang of Emil as a PC!  Its basically "Tales Swordsman, but he specializes in Aerial combat!" I'm...not sure how that works, but strangely, it does.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: June 25, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
EF - ANCIENT EGYPTIAN GAY CAT FOR GODLIKE