Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 687440 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #3500 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
Ephraim and Lute Destroy The World: Okay, as chat knows, I'm playing FE8.  Mainly for expanded voting rights.

It's notable: I hate permadeath.  I fucking despise it.  It plays on my perfectionism something stupid and annoying.  Double that with the idiocy of how the RNG works, and you have a recipe for absolute and idiotic frustration that makes me want to put a fist through the computer screen.

That aside: Ephraim and Lute are stupidly, STUPIDLY good.  The former has crazy attack power off of high speed, and otherwise really damned good stats.  The latter is just as fast and has magic that's hitting for about as much, if not more, ignoring Reginleif's anti-armor/mounted capabilities.  Joshua's also a very solid unit.  Not bothering so much with the project characters (Yes, I'm fully aware that they can get to be stupidly powerful.  I just don't want to put that much effort into it.)
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:12 PM »
TWEWY - lolmingleabuse.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: July 16, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
Ephraim and Lute Destroy The World: Okay, as chat knows, I'm playing FE8.  Mainly for expanded voting rights.

It's notable: I hate permadeath.  I fucking despise it.  It plays on my perfectionism something stupid and annoying.  Double that with the idiocy of how the RNG works, and you have a recipe for absolute and idiotic frustration that makes me want to put a fist through the computer screen.

That aside: Ephraim and Lute are stupidly, STUPIDLY good.  The former has crazy attack power off of high speed, and otherwise really damned good stats.  The latter is just as fast and has magic that's hitting for about as much, if not more, ignoring Reginleif's anti-armor/mounted capabilities.  Joshua's also a very solid unit.  Not bothering so much with the project characters (Yes, I'm fully aware that they can get to be stupidly powerful.  I just don't want to put that much effort into it.)

Using any fliers? Or Generals?

Of the trainees, I found Ross the easiest to keep up, waaay easier to catch up than, say, Nino. Maybe even easier than Rolf in FE9 if you don't use bonus experience. Still, you're using the slightly better mage anyways, Ewan's better if you want a half-decent Druid.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: July 16, 2009, 06:49:31 PM »
Ross is the easiest to catch up but you still only get something middling out of it. I wouldn't bother with trainees at all if I was just trying to get through the game and sounds like that's what Nama is doing. Just smash with the people who are already good (FE8 has quite a few... such as Eph and Lute).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: July 16, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
Ewan's problem is that he's sub-Nino for raising practicality. Starting at L1 with 0 Defense and something like 10 HP in the late midgame is a recipe for disaster.

Also, Nameeple definitely needs at least more Tana and Vanessa in his life. Vanessa is good on her own right and makes Lute even better with the godlike support, while Tana destroys worlds and also has an Eph support.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: July 16, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »
Ewan is teeeerrible.

Tana is the best PC  besides Ephy <3
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: July 16, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
Well, it's true that the trainees are probably not worth the effort, for all that I loved my speed and strength capped Berserker Ross with an Amelia support aaand wielding Garm. Amelia's the only one who's notably good for any of her classes, really, for all that Ross is... still probably better than his dad at equal levels. FE8 fails for Fighters though.

On the other hand, I completely agree on the Tana and Vanessa stuff. I always use Cormag as my other Tana support, but that might just be my love of Wyvern/Dragon Riders.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: July 16, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
To be fair, if Ross actually averaged capped speed as a Berserker he would totally be worth the effort.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:24 PM »
I absolutely love Ross/Amelia, Amelia was my best PC first game and Ross was really good too. But some people don't like them because they are lamesauce.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: July 16, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Ewan is great and much easier to raise than Amelia! >_>

Yeah mileage may vary.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: July 16, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Cross Edge - Finished!  Got the True Ending on Hard mode.

Final boss was a decent fight.  Puts pressure on you throughout the whole fight, and can actually kill you at low HP if you're not careful.  The problem is it's after another fight which you have to redo if you lose.  Said other fight's not too hard, just kind of annoying.

Final party was Raze/Anesha/Misha/Aurica.  Anesha really was the weakest link but still useful, though the way the game's setup, just about everyone is useful if you use them right.  Went in the final boss sequence at L92, ended at L98 (the final itself was like L110...).

Overall, the game exceeded my expectations.  The battle system is really one of the most interesting and fun battle systems I've ever seen from an RPG.  I've heard complaints that it's slow, but it's really not because you can just skip animations.  It's also well-balanced.  You get around 32 PCs or so, and it looks like every single one of them has use due to how the combo system works.  Since certain types of skills combo into other certain types of skills, you can form your party around combo synergy, and certain people combo better with other certain people, making everyone useful in at least some party setup.  There's a TON of twinking options, but the game actually forces you to USE them otherwise you're just going to lose.  It's something games like Ar tonelico and Growlanser V should learn from.  Item creation can be a bit tedious, but it's kind of fun making new stuff.  And there's in-game ways of finding out where the materials you need are (provided you've killed the enemy or can make the item you need to convert).  Upgrading and Composite mechanics on top of that just pile on the shiny.  Costumes are pretty fun since they give significant stat modifications, multipliers to stats, AND a new passive skill.  It's a shame the guys didn't get appearance changes as well, but they only affect the portraits, not the sprites.

The plot's kind of bad, but I wasn't really expecting much there.  The writing is actually pretty solid, though.  VA is top notch (outside of a few people) as well.  Music's solid, but nothing special outside of a few tracks.

The bad?  Well, the polish isn't very high, though not as bad as people keep saying.  It's... more signs of low production values than an actual lack of polish, I think.  The interface isn't exactly the best, but it's not gamebreaking, and the game does neat polish things like keeping a log of previous dialogue (which you can also replay the VA of!), encyclopedias that tell you how to do combos, what monsters drop what items (for synthing), animation skip, stuff like that.  Those easily counteract the bad polish things such as death animations taking a bit too long and the interface being suboptimal/kinda slow.

So yeah, really liked the game.  The good things far outweigh the bad things, and I'll probably even end up doing the aftergame.  Thinking a 9/10 for now, but on the higher end.

Might start SMTDS on the side though.

Ouendan 2 - Not only cleared Yobunda ze on Insane, but FC'd it.  I think that's about all I'm going to do with that game.  Working on EBA now but Hard is annoying due to being so slow.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: July 16, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Ewan is great and much easier to raise than Amelia! >_>

Yeah mileage may vary.

Both are a pain in the ass to bring up to speed and the only way you're sanely raising them is by grinding randoms. This is mostly a "god, apprentices not named Ross fail at efficiency" statement.

EDIT:

Ouendan 2 - Not only cleared Yobunda ze on Insane, but FC'd it.  I think that's about all I'm going to do with that game.  Working on EBA now but Hard is annoying due to being so slow.

Awesome. Now, go clear Kaizouendan 1~ (screw you neraiuchi)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:24:51 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: July 16, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
Awesome. Now, go clear Kaizouendan 1~ (screw you neraiuchi)

Maybe after Kaizo Beat Agents.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 16, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
Kaizouendan 1 is considerably easier than Kaizouendan 2, honestly. No changes in the touchpad patterns outside of mirroring makes a big difference, and some of the songs actually overwhelm less due to the touchpads showing up so late (Neraiuchi's hell crosstapping section gets a lot easier when I'm not confused by the order in which I have to tap, since I pick up on showing order rather than the numbers a lot faster).

EDIT: Jumpin' Jack Flash makes Ready Steady Go look rather tame, but I feel Sweatin' EBA is easier than Ouenhard generally.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:21:51 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Idun

« Reply #3514 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Just witnessed the badass scene involving Childerich and a massive arrow attack. I can't say anymore than just badass. Reloaded file so I can proceed with the game properly. >>;;

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 16, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
I succumbed to interest and decided to try LFT.  I haven't gotten very far (just cleared Sweegy Woods), but I like the changes I've seen thus far, for the most part.  I'll never understand why Red Panthers have Steal Heart, though.

Aside from that, I've been spending a fair amount of time on SaGa Frontier 2.  There's really not a whole lot to say about it.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: July 17, 2009, 12:21:14 AM »
Cross Edge - Finished!  Got the True Ending on Hard mode.

You shall now tackle Netherworld's insane after game.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 17, 2009, 12:22:53 AM »
He probably will anyway. I sorta figure Tally-chu is able to break just about anything into tiny pieces.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 17, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
BTW, what day of the week now?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 17, 2009, 12:42:26 AM »
Day 5. I'm mingle-abusing for the first Happy Beam danmaku upgrade.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
As for fliers and generals, I have one of the former up to par (though bringing Vanessa back up to Tana's level might not be that bad of an idea either) and one knight that's only three levels away from L20 (at which point I'd have him promote to General).  Not really wanting to grind randoms either, to be honest, so there's more of me killing things on maps.  Or something.

Now if only I had something to deal with Tana's annoying weakness to arrows, she'd probably see more use.  As-is, I keep her out of the no-fly zones.  Doesn't seem to have much in the way of damage hax, though she is fast--which pretty much matches the rest of the good members of my team not named Gilliam (Though he manages to outspeed the damn cavaliers.  This is sad).

Doubting I'm going to get either healer upgraded, but that's more due to the fact that healers in any FE level at the rate of a knight's movement.  Just not worth it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:50:33 AM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »
Healers in FE level just fine if they heal every turn, I found (the +1 XP Mend staves give compared to Heal adds up much faster than you'd think, actually). That's not hard to do. The problem with FE healers is more psychological than anything.

Tana's weakness to arrows starts to not matter much when her evade starts going nuts, which shouldn't take long to happen. You start to not face a ton of archers to boot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:30:06 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 17, 2009, 01:20:09 AM »
Fire Emblem 8 Girls: This is ridiculous and wrong on so many levels.

Seth gets replaced by... NINIAN

To be fair you kind of need her to finish the prologue stage lest you get OHKOed by Valter and then you get an unexpected Game Over. You get a key from the boss and you unlock the door that blocks your way to exit, all this before Valter uses a Short Spear I think? And then OHKOs you. So you need to utilize double move.

Then I hit the next chapter and then OMG Wendy for no reason o_O;;
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3523 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:28 AM »
So I was poking around the Final Fantasy wikia and stumbled into reading up on FF4 The After...

And apparently it's been released in English already? Huh, it's amazing how you miss things like that living in a foreign country.

Anyway, while the plot of The After sounds hilariously bad (Palom finds a reason to uselessly petrify himself again! ..don't worry, he gets better!), I'm curious if they at least put a decent effort into the translation.

Surely somebody here has given it a spin?

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 17, 2009, 02:17:47 AM »
The plot is so bad that it poisons your mind, stay away from that thing for the sake of your sanity.
Everything in this game is just so bloody random... it is like... ToD2.