Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686132 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4275 on: August 31, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »
Finished up Mana Khemia second playthrough. This time I decided to use Muppy, I'm glad I did! His defense skill is awesome and I can't believe I preferred Pamela over him!

... because Pamela is awesme? Awesme + broke. Twinked No!Bullying is godly damage and Pamela just laughs at physical reliant bosses.  She competely and utterly mocks the likes of Dark Yula + her cronies + No Bullying rips the final post game boss a new one as well. Indeed it rips bosses in the main game a new one too. Especially I am imagining beyond scary numbers on Isolde if I ever do a New Game+

I mean Yula can't even touch Pamela >_> Like at all. I think Pamela is the most damaging character in the game (along with Flay, I think)

Bear + Friends + No!Bullying + Shiny Physical immunity - Rules

Heheh I just like big numbers + blitzing ^_^ Pamela delivers~

At maxed attack Anna can outdamage Flay.  Also Pamela's good and all, but only if you let the enemy get their turn.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 31, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
Silencing early game Renee is fun though! Plus Muppy doesn't get great support skills until later either.

I don't see how you don't think No!Bullying's damage isn't that dominating or great but w/e~

You may be able to Silence Renee with any PC, given how there is a universal Silence spell that becomes available not much into the game. Also, No Bullying! is rather awkward to use and I honestly find more efficient to just keep your equipment and stat twinking up-to-date while efficiently covering SP juggling with Supports than manipulating Pamela's HP for a ST attack. She's too much of a durability liability for me, and putting her into the HP ranges where No Bullying is actually impressive is dangerous enough to get her killed more often than not. Sure, you could put her into failure range and keep her down there all the time, but that's not the kind of risk-taking I enjoy with someone whose HP and overall stats suck that much. And she doesn't even -get- No Bullying until C7, so she's a warm body until then. Then Megingjorz/Jade Tablets kick in and woohoo 6k per Chrona Drive/Buster Star chain, why are you manipulating Pamela HP when just putting out straight offense is so much more efficient? Pamela gives shiny numbers, but I like to jump through less hoops than that to kill things. No Bullying is only actually useful against bosses anyway (that kind of fancy footsies isn't justifiable on randoms), who are actually good at exploiting Pamela's awful durability to boot.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:06:18 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Idun

« Reply #4277 on: August 31, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »
Debating on playing KH as I finally re-bought it, and purchased KH2 (. . . . and Jak and Daxter for 4.99, stfu).

I tried playing it, and I have no clue if I'm at the final boss, but it is a huge ass gargoyle and I do not have the grasps of the battle system in my brain again or a manual --- !

Debating on trying to beat him, then curb DQ8 and play KH2.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 31, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
To be generally fair, though, HP, at the late/endgame (which is where No Bullying crops up, unless I'm mistaken) is pretty much useless. Once you get support acceleration and what not, you can basically indefinitely sustain your party at minimal HP through any number of battle. This is really made clear in the postgame dungeon, where healing really is meaningless, since about 1/2 of the enemies one-shot you anyway.

Honestly, the "hoops" to get no bullying doing damage are pretty minimal and it really is quite beneficial. Perhaps my twink-fu was lame, but Pamela was a major boon in the postgame simply because No Bullying! is so stupidly easy to abuse.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:31 PM »
I'd figure that it'd become better at the aftergame, particularly because the twinking sorta caps at that point for good. Maingame, though, it's not the kind of thing I would rely on for efficiency.

Taishyr

« Reply #4280 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:11 PM »
Meanwhile I had absolutely no issue abusing No Bullying!, perhaps because I didn't get that many Jade Tablets/Megingjorz or whatever and used whatever I did get on further synthing. So uh. yeah.

I was badly base-material starved for most the game because I heavily disliked backtracking, what can I say.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 31, 2009, 07:43:20 PM »
Like Tai my twinking wasn't as over-the-top as some here. Unfortunately this extended to my durability not being omgwtfhax and Pamela's low HP was notable enough to be a problem (maingame bosses have plenty of damage and most of it isn't physical after you get the physical immunity), particularly if I tried to keep her low enough for No Bullying to be worth noting.

Wasn't impressed by non-Roxis mage offence in general.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 31, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »
Mana Khemia 2: Started. Hey Tony, it might be a bad idea to keep that scythe poised right next your bed.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 31, 2009, 09:06:39 PM »
Blazblue - I've been getting steadily better with Tao, but I've been seriously contemplating possibly upping my skill with either Iron Giant, Sadistic Robot, or Black Squiggly.

I've also been considering having another game on the back burner...  And for what I've not beaten yet, both Beyond the Beyond and FFXII stand out prominently in my mind.  Any suggestions on which I should take?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »
Poképlat - You know what makes things die? A Specsrade. Sweep things, Reyvatally, sweep them good.

I guess Rotom would do it better, but eeeeeeh.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 31, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »
Blazblue - I've been getting steadily better with Tao, but I've been seriously contemplating possibly upping my skill with either Iron Giant, Sadistic Robot, or Black Squiggly.

I've also been considering having another game on the back burner...  And for what I've not beaten yet, both Beyond the Beyond and FFXII stand out prominently in my mind.  Any suggestions on which I should take?

Well, I can only personally speak for FFXII. Thought it was mostly rubbish, but from most accounts, that still beats the mind-searing awfulness that BtB sounds like it is.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4286 on: August 31, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
Can you just replay something that you've already beaten instead?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: September 01, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
To be generally fair, though, HP, at the late/endgame (which is where No Bullying crops up, unless I'm mistaken) is pretty much useless. Once you get support acceleration and what not, you can basically indefinitely sustain your party at minimal HP through any number of battle. This is really made clear in the postgame dungeon, where healing really is meaningless, since about 1/2 of the enemies one-shot you anyway.

Honestly, the "hoops" to get no bullying doing damage are pretty minimal and it really is quite beneficial. Perhaps my twink-fu was lame, but Pamela was a major boon in the postgame simply because No Bullying! is so stupidly easy to abuse.

You shouldn't be getting into fights with the non-bosses or non-uniques in the bonus dungeon anyway.  It's not worth it reward-wise and there's the freezing issue to deal with.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: September 01, 2009, 12:20:27 AM »
You've literally played every other RPG out there besides those two Magic?
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: September 01, 2009, 12:27:54 AM »
I think he just plays bad games to garner attention.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: September 01, 2009, 12:31:28 AM »
You've literally played every other RPG out there besides those two Magic?

Maybe every other one he owns?
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:16 AM »
If you are down to those 2, it's worth buying new ones.
...into the nightfall.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:24 AM »
Between BtB and FFXII, I'd first ask if there are any other options so we can make a fully informed decision. Next, I'd ask if you've played a fair bit of either of them, in which case I'd suggest the game you've played more of, just to get it over with.

Beautiful Katamari: Beat. I fail at dashing, but luckily that didn't matter.

Pocketbike Racer: Have you ever wanted to drive around on a little bike as the King from the Burger King commercials and shoot a subservient chicken with rockets? Me too. The game was a cute little promotion that came cheap with a combo meal at BK, and I managed to find a copy in my local game store for $5. Five tracks and the usual series of kart powerups (shield, boost, forward shots, mines, blinding, seeker) make this an average game, but it's much better than it could have been.

Shadow Complex: Got me a jetpack. Now I just have to transfer it to the real world...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: September 01, 2009, 01:58:05 AM »
Honestly, FF12 isn't that bad of a game.  Sure, it's not something I'd rate high on the list, but really, compared to BtB?  You people are joking, right?

FF12 is enjoyable fluff at best and playable at worst.  BtB is godawful at best.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4294 on: September 01, 2009, 02:16:32 AM »
All I'm saying is that if I was down to playing one of those two, I'd buy a new game.

Like the Witcher, where I am currently nailing bitches left and right while leaving the kid I'm supposed to be looking after with the girlfriend that I cheat on constantly. While I'm not doing that I fill mass graves with elf bodies.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: September 01, 2009, 02:16:38 AM »
Honestly, FF12 isn't that bad of a game.  Sure, it's not something I'd rate high on the list, but really, compared to BtB?  You people are joking, right?

FF12 is enjoyable fluff at best and playable at worst.  BtB is godawful at best.

Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: September 01, 2009, 02:18:12 AM »

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4297 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:12 AM »
I honestly question FFXII's playability myself, but I don't doubt it's closer to it than BtB so I suppose the point stands.  Although... given it's age, I have to think that BtB is about a quarter of the length...

Dissidia- Just messing around really, idly building up PP, working on exclusive weapons for Squall.  Already hit L100, have no idea where to get the third ingredient for Punishment (Already got a Twin Lance, and have a good stock of Squall's crystals).  21/22 characters, guessing I have to beat the remaining DOs to get Gabranth.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: September 01, 2009, 03:51:58 AM »
I.. have no idea on BtB, and it sounds pretty terrible, but I can definitely say that FFXII is terrible by FF standards, and I generally rate most other RPG series above the FFs, so... yeah, I don't think much of FFXII. It's bad gameplay, average-at-best characters and a plot that nobody I've spoken to gives a damn about. Sidequests are its only saving grace, really.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: September 01, 2009, 05:16:44 AM »
Well, let's see...  I also have Suikoden III left to do, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (even though I've beaten Cursed Memories, so), a copy of Parasite Eve one of my friends has been pestering me to let her lend me, Tales of the Abyss, Vagrant Story, Lunar: SSSC and EBC, Digimon World 2, Xenogears, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and my current Frisbee (Final Fantasy Tactics).  I just figure if I get the crap out of the way, I'll feel less guilty playing the good stuff.