Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686133 times)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4300 on: September 01, 2009, 05:24:36 AM »
Or you could just never touch the crap and give it to someone as a 'gift'.

FE10 Chap. 1-5 YOUR MAP IS TOO BIG. Had to rely on Sothe and Volug to tank things out, and they gobbled up some counterattack kills that I would've like to feed to Micaiah and Edward. Oh well, Jill, Zihark, and Tauroneo get, so no problem really.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: September 01, 2009, 06:43:42 AM »
Beat Story Mode, wound up just pushing through it with Cloud, getting him up to Lv 60 in the process, though still no Brave->HP attack chains.  guessing those come from AP mastery, which is finally starting to happen.  Now that he's closer to Lv 70 and I'm plowing through the evil librarian path.

Aside from that, the game is definately coming across as a better multiplayer experience than a single player one, and my brother picked up a copy (as did another of the weekend crowd) so I've got easy access to true FF fighting game experience.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: September 01, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
Guilty?  That's stupid.  If you feel guilty about not playing a game that is horrible you need to get your fucking priorities in order.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: September 01, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »
Mm, Juicy story mode in Dissidia. So good for combining with Day
Bonuses to hax characters. <3
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: September 01, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »
Yoshiken, Planescape: Torment.  Fallout.  For RPGs.

UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense for people outside UK/Australia).

These are all fairly stock answers from me.  There is a lot of other games I like, but they aren't good games all in all.  Those three games though are each a masterpiece.

Edit - Oh yeah, Mana Khemia 2 could have increased gathering without introducing a fucking mini-game.  Those things are mutually exclusive.  Fuck minigames for repetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetive required in game actions.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4305 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
You can get the Fallout trilogy for like... fifteen bucks at Best Buy, I think? And since the game is twelve years old, there is no reason anyone has for not owning it. Absolutely none.

Bardiche

« Reply #4306 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »
Fallout's just so easy to get and available most anywhere that I honestly won't believe someone can't get it. Well, unless your argument is money, but in that case you might be able to borrow it from some peers.

Fallout's one of the few games that put the Roleplay in Roleplaying Games. Definitely recommend it if you haven't played it yet.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: September 01, 2009, 11:12:38 AM »
Ehh, I don't know much about Fallout, but from what I do know, it doesn't seem like my kind of game... Might have to look into that one a little more, though, I guess.
And.. I remember the X-Com/UFO series. I.. also remember kinda hating them, though.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:10 PM »
Mana Kehmia 2: Near the end of the school year, right now.  As for notable happenings...

Big bad boss.  He's big!  Real big!  Or so the game tells me, but I don't see it.  Anyways, hey it's weak to Light!  Hey Raze, your skill damage is all light-based!  Yay, boss goes splat.  Except not because PLOT happens and it doesn't go down despite bottoming out on HP.  Then it runs away.  Yeah.  Hey, I get my choice of temp?  Awesome.  Hmmm, I like Chloe, but the boss resists dark so she's no go.  Goto might be nice, and I'm sick of Enna...  Screw it, I just grab Ulrika because it's funnier this way.  Checking her skills and, hey, what's that?  A third Intimate Strike?  Huh, combine Ulrika's and Raze's power for damage?  Does Raze get something like that?  Yes, yes he does.  Did I mention Raze's damage is all light-based and the boss is weak to light?  Yeah, it suffered badly, hit it with the co-op Intimate Strike, followed by Raze's finishing strike taking it from 75 to 0 and giving me a new damage record.  EXCEPT PLOT!!!!!!!!  Round 3 and he goes down to a time card.  Bloody anti-climatic.

Then I go back to where the boss started, get into a fight and somehow beat that damage record I just set.  /boggle

Anyway, I stopped playing during the 100 Puni fight.  Because of the most obvious bug ever.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: September 01, 2009, 12:58:21 PM »
And.. I remember the X-Com/UFO series. I.. also remember kinda hating them, though.

You are dead to me
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:31 PM »
Does that mean you'll finish the DDS2 stat topic, seeing as I'm no longer alive to do it? :D

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: September 01, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »
Eh yeah I just think Pamela deserves credit where credit's due is all. Which is shiny numbers + physical immunity + broke for the likes of Yula, etc. I'm not for hyping things that aren't true and personally I found No!Bullying's 30'000+ yummy. It'd be different if I was trying to hype Pamela as insanely fast + durable or something.  Also personally I found making all those ATK/MAG boosting accessories just as much if not more hoop jumping plus they just made Pamela's damage even more insane anyway. So yeah I can definitely see where Andrew + Tai are coming from on this.

I just don't find 6'000+ as yummy >_> *flees from Snow* <_<

Also Snow I wasn't being entirely serious about the silence thing anyway but regardless even though Common Skills exist in any game I tend to give a character more respect for a skill that a system. Besides Jess w/th damage from Common Skill magic has recieved respect before but by what you're saying that should be irrellevant if anyone can do it >_>

Enchanted Arms -Going to Kyoto City. While levelling Karin obtained an EX move that fully restores HP + EP (i.e MP) to all. The CTs are having fun ^_^
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: September 01, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »
Edit - Oh yeah, Mana Khemia 2 could have increased gathering without introducing a fucking mini-game.  Those things are mutually exclusive.  Fuck minigames for repetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetetive required in game actions.

Said minigame consists of a slot-machine which consumes an amount of seconds somewhere in the single digits. It serves mainly to influence what items you get (there's no chance of you not getting stuff); if you don't give a damn what you get, just hit circle to stop it instantly and you are functionally just picking up items as normal. It's hardly a necessary addition to the game, but it's also so trivial as to not be worth kicking up shit about. (Fishing is slightly more time-consuming, but that was the case in MK1 as well, if I recall correctly.)

EDIT: Also, I'm somewhere in chapter 2 now. I suspect I would've liked the PCs more on Raze's path. Chloe is basically Daria, which I guess is cool, but Enna's pretty blank and I don't really have words for Pepperoni.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:21:33 PM by El Cideon »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »
Well, Grefter is just bitching about shit he hasn't even seen as usual.  Gathering minigame flat out improves gathering because it lets you choose what items you get if you want to and you can just flat out ignore it if you don't care.  Mining minigame is whatever and fishing doesn't really change much.  Seriously not a big deal and is an overall improvement over MK1 due to getting more stuff for the time you spend on it.

MagicFanatic: From what I've noticed with you, you'd just go find more shitty games to play after you played those anyway.  Stop.  Go play good games.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: September 01, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »
Dissidia: Beat Destiny Oddesey with everyone. Think Onion Knight is my favorite character so far. Gonna try out the villians too, though I think they're largely too gimmicky for me to really get into.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: September 01, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
MK2: Right around chapter 3/4 for Raze. Can't recall which exactly. Just got Puniyo. Enjoying the game. Took a few to get used to, but is working out.

BlazBlue: Been busy but doing matches every now and then.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm got me excited, what can I say? Pretty much only restarted the account. Haven't actually played.

BG2: Decided to resume playing this. Found I was in the middle of the Underdark. One of my mods has screwed with Gauths and turned them into relative death machines.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: September 01, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Does that mean you'll finish the DDS2 stat topic, seeing as I'm no longer alive to do it? :D

...fuck...

Magic: Of those, FF12 is the better game, but I'd suggest playing something from that long list instead.  FF12 is...you need to like MMORPGs to an extent, since it plays exactly like one.  BtB is...inoffensively bad.  I guess.  It could be worse.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »
Poképlat - Byron, you -suck-.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Bardiche

« Reply #4318 on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »
Ehh, I don't know much about Fallout, but from what I do know, it doesn't seem like my kind of game... Might have to look into that one a little more, though, I guess.

Something can only not be your kind of game after trying it out. I mean, sure, it does not have ~ sugoi kawaii o-neko-hana girls ~, but it's a great game in its own, twisted, post-apocalyptic way.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: September 01, 2009, 11:57:08 PM »
Something can only not be your kind of game after trying it out.

You just keep on justifying that game of spin the bottle you played at the family reunion.  Maybe that'll hold back the tears.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4320 on: September 02, 2009, 12:02:21 AM »
Mana Khemia 2: Fun stuff. The combat picks up faster than MK1, and the cast feels about as enjoyable? Gameplay is definitely a step up thanks to Hard mode.

Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
Also fun stuff. Happy to have Maya working with Mr. Wright again in some of my favorite chemistry in any game I've played. The side characters are as endearing as ever of course (Pearl is adorable of course). Just generally the kind of light and fluffy story I enjoy.

Dissidia: Beat about half of the DO's and started SI as Terra. The high level AI can bite me. Other than that it is enjoyable I guess? Not really my style, though.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: September 02, 2009, 12:03:40 AM »

Something can only not be your kind of game after trying it out. I mean, sure, it does not have ~ sugoi kawaii o-neko-hana girls ~, but it's a great game in its own, twisted, post-apocalyptic way.

Okay, Bard. You go play the new FIFA game and tell me what you think. ^_^
I can safely say that I don't like the look of a game. I mean, I'll say that about shooters because -I don't like shooters-. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily right, but I'm not gonna waste time on something I can guess I won't like to begin with, unless there's some reason to think otherwise.
Which is why I said I'd look into that a little more. >.>

Bardiche

« Reply #4322 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »

Okay, Bard. You go play the new FIFA game and tell me what you think. ^_^
I can safely say that I don't like the look of a game. I mean, I'll say that about shooters because -I don't like shooters-. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily right, but I'm not gonna waste time on something I can guess I won't like to begin with, unless there's some reason to think otherwise.
Which is why I said I'd look into that a little more. >.>

How are FIFA games and RPGs related, again? Either way, the genre as a whole does not appeal to me. I can safely reason that the game will not appeal to me because it is soccer, and as such inherently made of various shades of uninteresting.

This is different from a particular game within a genre not appealing to you as being 'your kind of game'.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: September 02, 2009, 12:13:01 AM »
A game style can be just as unappealing as a genre, and honestly PCRPGs are close enough to a genre to drop that kind of "not my style" bomb.

EDIT: This comment doesn't really apply to X-COM in a vaccuum, though, because I have no idea what the fuck X-COM is besides "not PCRPG".
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:16:19 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:48 AM »
Magic: Based on your list of games, then, I'd go with BtB. Beat it, go through VS, then FF XII. *note: I haven't played FF XII*.

And the best part is that it's on PC, so it's likely that someone made a mod so that there are kawaii neko girls. And then you can shoot them. Yay!

Shadow Complex: I am now a roadrunner (speedyrifirus sonicboomicus). Meep meep.

I can safely reason that the game will not appeal to me because it is soccer, and as such inherently made of various shades of uninteresting.

Nintendo World Cup.