Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686097 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4400 on: September 05, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
Persona 4: Finally reached Ameno-Sagiri!
...Died to his eye laser followed by Agneyastra. Killed nobody other than Souji. Dammit. :(

This is why I told you to Trumpeter ASAP. Debilitator is your best friend against Ameno. Also, see the Ciddy. Marakukaja is good too.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »
It didn't charge! I just didn't think the 3/4 limit would be enough to wipe me out. :(
And.. I was using Marakukaja and Tarunda, but... it was just unlucky that Agneyastra hit one person, hit them three times, and they just happened to be Souji. Game Over.

Ah, well. Off to try again! Now I know to equip Siegfried for the 3/4 limit~

Ninja: I... don't have Debilitate on it yet. ^^' One level away, but I doubt I need it for now, tbh.
...At least until I've seen what the other limits bring, that is.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 05, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »
It'll help a lot regardless (since it's definitely easier than juggling Tarunda and Rakunda. You'll want both effects on in general). I'm pretty sure I had at least five levels on your party, and Ameno-Sagiri could borderline OHKO average durability with Nebula Oculus x2. That's a lot of pressure to handle. GRANTED: I didn't have Teddie in my party, so no Marakukaja.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 05, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
Oh... I don't have Teddie either~

I'm relying on Souji to buff/debuff, Yukiko to heal each turn (equipped with the 1/2 MP cost, although I might swap that over to Souji) and Chie/Naoto to Power/Mind Charge into God Hand/Megidola.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 05, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
Oh, didn't read close enough. Yeah, Agneyastra hitting 3x happens sometimes. Sucks and there's not a lot you can do about it (though my party had enough HP that only the likes of Yukiko were likely to be killed by that. May have been higher-leveled.)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 05, 2009, 03:41:47 PM »
About to start my second run, just done some more fusions. I checked, and I was Lv 73 (gained an extra level this time round), meaning I can't fuse Yoshitsune. Still, Kartikeya is lethal enough as it is, especially when I'm switching from her Auto-Mataru to Hariti's Maraku and Tarunda into Trumpeter's Masuku. Like I said before, Souji covers buffs/debuffs pretty well...

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 05, 2009, 03:44:19 PM »
Champions Online:

I purchased this EARLY because it looked like everything I want in an MMO. So far, I haven't been disappointed. This would be a pretty fun game if I played it offline, since I've done most of my stuff solo for now. Contrast to WoW, where I couldn't imagine paying for month for it. We'll see if I get sick of it anytime soon.

Idun

« Reply #4407 on: September 05, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
I am upset at Sora's lack of evade that Roxas has. Equally, I miss Roxas now. But I think I'll see him again soon anyway. Everything is going smoothly I believe. And Goofy and Donald are back~~

and Mickey pwns you and your face.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 05, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
You've seen nothing yet. Mickey Mouse is an unmitigated badass in KH2.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 05, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
Yeah, you've only gotten a taste of Mickey Mouse.  KH2 does really does the impossible by taking Mickey, making him a complete bad ass...and at the same time, they changed like nothing about him as a character.  It really deserved the "I am not making this up" entry it got in TVtropes, cause of all the Disney/Square cross over nonsense KH does, that was by far the most absurd; the fact that they were SUCCESSFUL with it makes it even more unbelievable.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: September 05, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
Also, MK2 chapter five or six or something. Winter break, whatever. Still kicking myself for not picking Hard mode. But hey, I actually had to heal someone on a couple of the last chapter's bosses. That hadn't happened since way back in chapter 1, when I only had Ulrika and Chloe.

You can change the difficulty at any time.  It's in the Options menu.

I have so many abilities to buy and nowhere near enough AP for it all. This is totally the opposite of MK1, where I was usually just waiting for nodes to unlock. Out of curiosity, what determines the HP/SP upgrades in this game? Do they just kick in once a PC's acquired a certain amount of raw AP, or what?

You got the HP/SP gain thing right.  Depends on how much AP a PC's gained.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4411 on: September 05, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
Champions Online:

I purchased this EARLY because it looked like everything I want in an MMO. So far, I haven't been disappointed. This would be a pretty fun game if I played it offline, since I've done most of my stuff solo for now. Contrast to WoW, where I couldn't imagine paying for month for it. We'll see if I get sick of it anytime soon.

I have heard good things. I thought about taking it up, but I'm pretty sure I'd drop whatever I'm playing and get SW: TOR when it comes out, so...

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 05, 2009, 11:54:16 PM »
Yeah, you've only gotten a taste of Mickey Mouse.  KH2 does really does the impossible by taking Mickey, making him a complete bad ass...and at the same time, they changed like nothing about him as a character.

No, it's like they finally took the kickass Comic Mickey (the one who routinely matched wits with the Phantom Blot, etc) and animated him. Certainly a fair sight better than the House of Mouse version.

Shadow Complex: 100% item completion, game beaten. Clocked in at about 6 1/2 hours. Game is pretty good, but I wouldn't say it's GotY calibur.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 05, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »
Dissidia: Unlocked everyone but tiny woman of deep laughter, and got Tidus to lvl 100. Now currently lvling everyone else to unlock their attacks. Game is definitely better as a multiplayer game than anything else, but doesn't exactly lose it's charm as a single player either. Plenty of modes and things to unlock to keep it interesting.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: September 06, 2009, 01:06:21 AM »
Sort-of-beat Persona 4 earlier. Didn't save after Ameno-Sagiri and went through and got the 'meh' ending. Rather than beat the final again, I thought I'd blitz a NG+ to max S-Links, get more Compendium completion, etc, so... off to Yukiko's Castle, I go~!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:27 AM »
MK2: Switched to hard mode. 95% of randoms still don't get turns, but at least now they have some semblance of damage when they do. Eh. Bosses are better, at least--the chapter six boss actually managed to KO someone! (First time in the game that's happened.) Is it just me, or does she get like four turns after using Boost?

Currently on chapter seven, in which Flay sentences people to freeze to death for the sake of education. Done three scenes for each PC, exploiting the bazaar at every opportunity to save time on making filler ingredients (argh holy crest paper/white steel/altena ingot tree). There's one job I haven't been able to finish though, and it's bugging me. Someone's asking for an item I can't seem to find. "Chocolate icicle" or something like that. I assumed it'd be on the snowy mountain, but no go. Tired of running around searching for stuff, so I may just move on.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: September 06, 2009, 02:05:10 AM »
Dwaggie Quest 4 - Beat Marquis de Leon, who was a bastard, but made bearable by Kabuff; won once I levelled enough to got that. Got the Zenithian Helm, busted up Baalzack, who wasn't as sad as I remember him being in NES but still better. I'm pretty much settling into using the same party as I did in NES for bosses. Randoms... so far I have access to the wagon, so I switch around. Ragnar feels the least useful in those, though (at least Torneko can steal, or he'd be about as bad).

21 hours in.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: September 06, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
The Chocolate Icicle is a candy item, so your options on getting them will differ on which route you've taken, either by finishing certain randoms off with Lily's candy spell, or by having Goto use his upgraded steal until he succeeds.  If you do go for it, many of the Dumpster monsters have/will turn into Chocolate Icicles.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: September 06, 2009, 04:01:24 AM »
Blah. Lack upgraded stealing and need something like 5,000 AP to get it. Too lazy to grind for that. 12,000 cole would be nice, but I can do without it.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: September 06, 2009, 05:50:08 AM »
Etrian Odyssey-

So I decided that there had been enough beating around the bush and set off to fight Drake. Mapping out the pathway there was a nice trip through pleasant, pre-Claret times.

Of course Drake themself turns out to have 2HKO MT attack with attached ID off high speed. In addition to being able to give themself regen to the tune of not much less than the damage I was doing while boosted, for all that this ability was completely academic in terms of my bout against them.

In entirely unrelated news, I have deemed EO as complete enough to shelve, which is certainly a load off my mind as I had been dreading having to go back through Claret.

In conclusion, Phantasy Star 2 needs to be remade with an EO style map.

Next up is Ys II! I wonder if it's as short as Ys I was.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: September 06, 2009, 06:11:04 AM »
Found myself with an unexpectedly empty Special Day on Dissidia, so I've been spending my time running Squall and Firion through the Duel Colloseum.  The +3 AP growth has had a remarkable effect, as has the 2x Exp growth, letting them both shoot up heavily in levels, and also master a lot of their abilities.  Sadly, Squall still has no Brave -> HP moves, but he's making up for this with a fairly remarkable array of HP moves, and Firion just has a lot of Brave->HPs I've managed to unlock, and even afford.  Of course, since he only recently got Weaponmaster, and I'm still learning to use it, that still leaves him a sad, sad, panda in mid-air.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: September 06, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »
PokePearl:  Been slowly Pal Parking/breeding/evolving to work on my Pokedex.  Up to ~470 seen and 460 captured.

PokeEcksDee:  Wow, they really throw lots of shadow Pokemon at you early in this game, and they purify quickly.  Just finished the old Cipher HQ, and already have 14 shadow pokes with 10 of them purified.

PWI:  level 76 BM, level 68 cleric.  Had a great turf war against Legendary today, we lasted 18 minutes.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4422 on: September 06, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »
XD fundamentally has "Colloseum was neat, but we totally need to make it faster and less annoying" as its primary design mantra.  So yeah, purification is pretty damned fast in XD.  Also you get some pretty badass Shadow Pokes faster, or at least that's my memory (Teddiursa that starts with Return?  Relatively early Houndoom?  ^.^)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: September 06, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »
Found myself with an unexpectedly empty Special Day on Dissidia, so I've been spending my time running Squall and Firion through the Duel Colloseum.  The +3 AP growth has had a remarkable effect, as has the 2x Exp growth, letting them both shoot up heavily in levels, and also master a lot of their abilities.  Sadly, Squall still has no Brave -> HP moves, but he's making up for this with a fairly remarkable array of HP moves, and Firion just has a lot of Brave->HPs I've managed to unlock, and even afford.  Of course, since he only recently got Weaponmaster, and I'm still learning to use it, that still leaves him a sad, sad, panda in mid-air.

Squall gets no Brave -> HP Attacks.  His moves do link up in such a way that you can make custom combos with them (at least, supposedly they do now; Japanese Squall sucked cause he was suppose to be able to do this, but couldn't!  Well, that, and he lacked stuff like AERIAL ROUGH DIVIDE), and he's more about tearing apart the person's brave, raising his own, and then killing the guy in a single shot anyway.

Brave -> HP attacks available in this game are...

WoL: Several moves, forget offhand; one leads to Bitter End, the other leads to Runeblade.
Firion: All his Ground Brave moves but Sword Slash can link into Double Trouble; note that the only difference between A, B and C is what move they use as a base (probably done that way so you don't master Double Trouble with Reel Axe, then have it mastered for the other 2 moves as well.)
Onion Knight: All his damn moves eventually get Brave -> HP links.  Some will require mastering the Brave -> Brave links though.
Cecil: Nothing.  Like Squall, though, he can create custom combos (Search Light is a big one for Paladin Form, for example)
Bartz: Holy can chain into Flare (Onion Knight's version, not Terra's; requires specifying cause he uses Terra's Holy, and Terra technically uses Flare in Holy Combo <_<)  once mastered; don't think he gets anything else otherwise.
Terra: Holy Combo once mastered can chain into Ultima.
Cloud: I think Sonic Edge chains into Finishing Touch, and his basic Aerial Brave move chains into Omnislash Ver. 5.
Squall: Covered.
Zidane: 2 of his aerial moves chain into Meo-twister.  He use to have more, but free energy became a normal HP attack instead, so yeah (actually...the moves Free Energy chained from use Meo Twister now, and Meo Twister's old HP Chains don't exist anymore!  Yes, its weird, guess Free Energy just works easier as a standard HP Attack than Meeo Twister does.)
Tidus: ONe of his moves chains into Quick Hit or something; honestly don't knmow with him, cause like Zidane, one of his Brave -> HP chains became a stand alone HP attack, while the other did not.

None of the villains have Brave -> HP Chains, outside of Golbez, who gets Cosmic Ray on one of his attacks, but can't remember what.  Shantotto and Gabranth don't get any either.  Jecht does have a quirk that allows him to use HP Attacks in the middle of Brave combos if you get the timing down right, but that's not quite the same.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: September 06, 2009, 08:07:44 AM »
Tidus actually has multiple Brave -> HP chains that go into Quick Hit. At least four. Stick&Move, Dart&Weave, and Cut&Run all do it. I haven't gotten the fourth one yet, though. 
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.