Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686028 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4525 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »
Meeple, you don't have to insult me on not knowing how to use Emperor properly.

Whether you like it or not, Emperor is a close range fighter who have little reach out side Stick Bomb and Flare. And sadly, his close range trick isn't too bright either, his mines are almost entirely defensive. So, he baically ave limited long range trick and unreliable close range mines. This already puts him in disadvantageous state aginst those who are good at countering, and also make him hopeless against superiror infighters.

So what can Mateus do? Hehas to rely on his long rang trick to create enough distance between him and his ooponent so he have enough time and space to set up his mines into a more threatening formations.

So the smart way to use Emepror is. Try to keep enemy far away with Flare and hope the mines and halt them enough when they come in, and then use the time you have to chant for Star Fall. And the Star Fall itself is a bait to make your opponent to panic and charge toward you, which makes them mroe likely to fell into your mines. Then, with right timing, you can either Flare to the face or land a Lightning Crest.
Or better yet, if you are good at coordination, you use Flare without lock on, so it own't always chase after the enemy, and adjust it little by little when you need to. this can at same time prevent your target from reflecting it, and always keep the Flare close. And then you use suicide strategy. The opponent would likely to 1. have their guard down when Flare wasn't pressing in that aggresively, and you purposely let them hit you, so they get tied up with their own attack, and then lock your Flare back in and BOOM ( or should I say to actualyl be a advance Emperor player, you must learn how to do this in a consistent basis). This is going to be even more brilliant if you combine this with chase mode, kncoking your opponent right into a Flare, or purposely delay yuor command in put and let the Flare snak on to your opponent when you both are freezing in mid air. Or 2, think it is safe to approach the Flare and try to reflect it, which actually gives you more free time to chant for Star Fall. Xer once fall for this unkiniwingly and ate a glorious Star Fall death.

And it is best to place Mateus next to a clif when doing this, and only jump unlesss necessary so he can better protect himself. It is also easier to land a Lightning crest when standing by a clif.

And when you are good enough to use both startegy reliabelly, Mateus can detsroy the world. But the thing is, both strategy relies haveily on Flare and it is not helping when it an easily got refelcted before it starts to pull the range for itself to be effective. Too many move can reliabelly knock Flare back during mid range combat, effetcively shuting down the hcance to create a distance between the opponent for Mateus to prepare other offence. and this is not including those who can reflect the Flare as soon as it is fired and the same time cleaning up the mines.
Unless you are really good at the not lock on strategy and marrionete your Flare at will, but you have to be a unrealistically in human Emperor player to actually pull that out.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:18 AM »
MK2 - C2! Suddenly I get a new PC and we get SUPPORTS. Ulrika is still criminally stupid. It's telling that I got a fourth PC primarily because of how badly Lily wants in Raze's pants, though.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
P4- Building S Links while waiting for a rainy day for the bathhouse. Last time I was in the TV I redid Yukiko's castle, picked up items for quests, fought the optional boss and picked up Yukiko's fan. That boss gets a nasty boost on Expert mode. OHKO/ MT OHKO on everyone except Souji who was cheating with physical immunity ^_^  After that made it to F3 of the bathhouse before everyone was severely depleted on SPS (Yosuke with Garu is still immensely useful) and I decided to leave. I have Fox but it's still too damn expensive at this stage even with the Yen I carried over into the new game and the Yen I've been earning from working. Fox still puts a huge dent in my funding.

I am going to pick up the evade boosting armour for the girls + other stat boosting armour and all the stuff I didn't know about my first run this time through ^_^

P4 is too damn addicting, it should be illegal~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: September 10, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »
That boss gets a nasty boost on Expert mode. OHKO/ MT OHKO on everyone except Souji who was cheating with physical immunity ^_^

I know what you mean. On my NG+, I've not got a physical immune - best I've got is Neko Shogun - and it's still an MT OHKO, despite the resistance.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
Lily is one of the very few cases where I've concluded that it really is a case where she really does just need to get laid. Anyhow.

WoW TCG: Belated, but utterly scrubbed out at the local RQ due to lending out an important part of my deck to a friend who had a better chance. Add in an occasional misplay, statistical screwery, friend accidentally spouting out an opponent's mistake in time for him to fix it, judge miscall and it all adds up to not being a good event for me. Might go to one this Saturday depending on my mood.

MK2: Finished Flay's summer training. Now enraged as I spend 20 minutes synthing to get a B in the bomb class. I am GETTING THAT A.

Baldur's Gate 2: Chapter 6 happy fun times. Basically just waiting to finish out the LoveTalks from JC's deArnise romance and finish the keep, so I'm wasting time gearing up. Decided to fill my 6th slot with Keldorn (Harkan would not bring his sister around to go fight the BBEG that sucked out their sooooouls, dammit), making my party Harkan (Kensage), Mazzy, Minsc, Keldorn, Viconia and Nalia. Getting back into the swing of abusing the game to some degree. Cower as Nalia solos 6 vampires. Tremble as Harkan and Mazzy take Firkraag out together. Will be starting a ToB game once I finish. Finally. Only took me like, 8 years.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: September 10, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
MK2: Finished Flay's summer training. Now enraged as I spend 20 minutes synthing to get a B in the bomb class. I am GETTING THAT A.

Lightning Bomb for Miranda?

MK2: Term with Parent's week.  I've been waiting for this.

Also the School Festival really freaking makes the other side look like a jackass.  More than usual anyway.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »
MK2 - Because I forgot: Laser Hard Mode is not difficult, ze.

IhatethisCPU

• When I get hit in the face, my body is taken over by the ghost of James Brown.
  • Denizen
  • ...Good night, and Gods help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08:18 AM »
Much to my annoyance, SO4 (29th in the damn Queue. -_-') is coming via Gamefly.

I'm not expecting much from the PCs (Having the main compared to Shinji Ikari is a very, very bad sign, methinks...) or story (And I LIKED the SO3 twist...), just want to know if the gameplay's enjoyable. ...And if the Alchemy (Or whatever the hell it was called) system from SO3 makes a reappearance.
You wanna know when I'm gonna be there?
I'll tell you EXACTLY when I'm gonna be there...

When you least expect it.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: September 11, 2009, 04:42:31 AM »
MK2: Raze chapter five, proceeding with character quests and whatnot. Racial discord in a Gust game, this cannot turn out well.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:08 AM »
MK2 - Punis! Also, Et is my current MVP. I blame those Chakrams.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
SO4 is pretty fun and the item creation system is a million times more fun than SO3's.  Edit - It still isn't great, but it is functional and not to annoying I mean.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: September 11, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
SO4's gameplay is fine.  It seems like a noticeable step down compared to SO3 at first, but that's mostly cause its different and unintuitive; once you get use to the game (which can take some time, but the first few areas of the game are appropriately weak...barring the first boss...so you have plenty of time to get yourself use to it, by the time it starts mattering), its enjoyable.

The game does pull a bullshit stunt with its gameplay though; there's this system called Rush.  Rush is essentially the game's equivalent of Tales Overlmit; in Rush, your crit rate sky rockets, and you become immune to Flinching.
So what's bad about it? Enemies can do it too.  Enemies will pull it off unexpectedly, asininedly, while you're in the middle of this big combo, and suddenly you get slammed for big damage.  It doesn't hurt that much in the sense of "Loss vs. Win" but given the way the bonus gauge works, being hit ONCE by a Rushed enemy completely kills your gauge, and there's often no real defense against it; even if YOU dodge it, the AI may not.

As far as other gameplay factors go...

NOTE: I'm using Spoiler Tags of sorts to avoid giving away who joins your team, so don't take some of these descriptions TOO literally.
The characters are varied enough.  Unlike SO3, you get 3 Mages, not just 2, so you have a few more options in that regard, and like SO3, Mages are functional as controlled PCs, for all that its advisable you don't control them for healing purposes (or alternatively, use 2 Mages, which isn't necessarily a bad idea.)
Your main is a typical Tales of Star Ocean Swordsmen; he doesn't have the token Ranged Slash move, but that wouldn't really work well in this system anyway, so its minor; good at comboing, well balanced, what have you.  The typical character whose simple, but effective.
Token Female Best Friend Stereotype is an archer, so ranged oriented and good from attacking at a distance though naturally, has issues if something gets close.
The Cat-girl is your spammer, perse; she hits a lot of times, and combos, and keeps things tied up.  She's also fast at running.  Its what you'd expect of someone with her design!
Mega Man is about AoE nuking and just being a general powerhouse.  He's slow, awkward to use, but the shear mayhem he'll cause to groups is absurd...thus good for AI! Though YMMV on the controllable factor.
The Grim Reaper is basically about running into frays, destroying everything, and getting out without being hurt.  I know this sounds broken, but that's the best way to describe him; laser scythes have this effect <_<  He also has limited attack magic! ...that you'll probably never use...but hey, ITS THERE!

There's a 9th character whose an attempt at being a Fighter Mage, but really fails at it, and should be ditched the instant you get a 5th character.  Mostly cause he stops learning good magic, and gets no Physical skills...great combination there! granted, he's also a temp, replaced by another character, so its not a big deal

The Item Creation is more intuitive than SO3's.  Its basically just "Have characters set up, they'll sit there thinking of idea,s and eventually something interesting will come up."  To create items, its a typical Synth system; get x amount of y product, use them at Item Creation, you get item!  It doesn't require any of this complex SO3 stuff, at least.

Oh, it also lets you take whatever item, and shove it onto pre-existing equips to slightly boost their stats.  These boosts aren't major, though I suppose they stack if you do them enough.  We're talking like "+4 Attack" when your weapons are in mid 3 digits.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: September 11, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
MK2: Ulrika's path beaten.  Plot is better on her path, and makes Raze's path make so much more sense.  Ending is better too, though that's not hard to do.  Final was good enough.  More group damage than Raze's final, but probably weaker since he's not facing the obscene damage that Raze's group can dish out.

Now, unto the TRUE ENDING!  Yay party merge.  Yay Raze's party with Ulrika.  Yay Uniter of Light and Dark spam.  Yay final dungeon enemies giving 2k AP a fight!

Also Gold is a goddamn bitch to synth.  It takes Puniyo's final Grow Book weapon to make and you need to damn much of it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4538 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
I found Edge to be the best character to let the AI play. He's probably the worst melee fighter, all in all, but he's an excellent tank and the AI plays better with him than everyone else.

Me? I rock Cyberface. Learn to use his dash + shoot move and you solo the game. It's stun chance is ridiculous.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: September 12, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »
Cyberface also has Galvanic Shock, which is just plain old ridiculous.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4540 on: September 12, 2009, 01:26:21 AM »
I rocked the BrattyKid or Fanservice mage setup. And had Mage#3 in the party to do all the healing. Mages are fun to play in SO4. Came as a shock to me, too.

Persona 4: Still playing with this! Bathhouse is fun, but I'm mostly just grinding in it.

The real fun is playing around with Persona-combinations. However, only having 6 spaces is making things difficult. Currently messing around with Sarasvati for her SP regen move so that I can keep making unlimited Personas! Get money -> Buy Personas -> Fuse Personas like crazy -> Repeat until Money=0 -> Fight until HP is low to get more Money -> Use SP to restore HP until SP is low -> Sarasvati's SP regen allows this to loop indefinitely.

I'm still on the first day of the Bathhouse dungeon. My plan is to finish it all in one day so that I have more time for Sexy sexy SLinks. Yosuke/Chie SLinks are at 4, Strength is at 7, Sun/Hermit at 2. Strength Personas love me.

Dragon Quest 4 DS: Torneko's Chapter! Whee~ The new spell names are kinda hard to get used to...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: September 12, 2009, 01:27:43 AM »
I think you mean kinda far superior.

For a less snarky response, however: Never played DQ8, Djinn? Thought you had for some reason.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: September 12, 2009, 01:52:44 AM »
So I have been playing City of Heroes lately.  Well not really playing.  I got to level 14 and had 14000ish Infamy (cash).  Then I decided I would dabble a little in the game's equivalent of the auction house.  I buy stuff from it and then just sell it to the vendor.  I now have 3 million infamy on my and probably another half a million or so tied up in bids.  It is impossible to lose money doing this.  The economy in this game is just so fucked up.

I might even keep playing the game sometime.  All I have been doing for like a week now is buying and selling.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4543 on: September 12, 2009, 02:04:58 AM »
I think you mean kinda far superior.

For a less snarky response, however: Never played DQ8, Djinn? Thought you had for some reason.

I've been sitting at the half-way mark of DQ8 for about half a year now...

Yes, I'm aware they are the same spell names... but I was still more used to NES DQ4.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: September 12, 2009, 03:26:18 AM »
So I have been playing City of Heroes lately.  Well not really playing.  I got to level 14 and had 14000ish Infamy (cash).  Then I decided I would dabble a little in the game's equivalent of the auction house.  I buy stuff from it and then just sell it to the vendor.  I now have 3 million infamy on my and probably another half a million or so tied up in bids.  It is impossible to lose money doing this.  The economy in this game is just so fucked up.

I might even keep playing the game sometime.  All I have been doing for like a week now is buying and selling.

City of Heroes is moderately entertaining, but not worth paying a monthly fee for.  Or is it free to play now that Champions Online is out?  At any rate, stick to playing villains.  Hero players are stuck up elitists and robbing banks is fun.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: September 12, 2009, 04:00:13 AM »
Mega Man Starforce 3: Finally getting around to this! I did stuff...then closed the DS, without saving, but apparently turned the game off or something so um, ouch, lost like 20 minutes of progress! ...cause it was only 20 minutes, I didn't bitch <_<

Actually died early in the game to a super random, cause it was a nasty set up!

Other than that, initial thoughts are "Its Mega Man Starforce."  If you played either of the first two, you know what to expect.  Though, the "You can pulse in anywhere!" aspect is actually pretty cool, since it allows for more flexibility in overworld, and I can already tell the Wave Roads are FAR less cumbersome than in the previous games, as they're more direct and allow for more free movement.

Otherwise, characters and writing seem to be about what you'd expect.  Omega-Xis already had an awesome line in "Shouting makes everything better!"  and is his usual amusing self, and if the game is anything like the first 2, I expect it to be self aware and start mocking its own cheesey writing at times (I'm sorry, but a game where one of the villains openly yells "Welcome to the unbarable world of Coochie Coochie Coo!" as a threat can't be anything BUT self aware.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: September 12, 2009, 04:05:06 AM »
I am playing Villains, they are the same game at the end of the day though.  Still costs, but meh.  Pay more for music than I do for games by many times over.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: September 12, 2009, 06:08:11 AM »
Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations

Beaten. I've definitely enjoyed my romp through the PW series. I don't know if I want to go on to the Apollo Justice games right now, since apparently they introduce a new cast and make some odd decisions with the old, so I may find myself waiting a while to get to that (which makes sense, since I don't have the actual game and it isn't that easy to come by I don't think).

Generally little other than praise for the series. When I found myself stuck there were always spoiler-free FAQs that would help me figure out HOW to present a theory/counter-argument/whatever. For the most part I figured out the cases significantly in advance and only got hung up on trivial stuff, so I didn't feel bad about it.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: September 12, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
MK2: Finally beaten True End get and everything.  TRUE Final was a mix of the two tricks between the other two finals.  Made him pretty tough, but the sixth party member tips it so badly.  Ending probably wasn't worth it having to play through both paths, but it still had me grinning like a maniac.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: September 12, 2009, 07:30:06 AM »
Generally little other than praise for the series. When I found myself stuck there were always spoiler-free FAQs that would help me figure out HOW to present a theory/counter-argument/whatever. For the most part I figured out the cases significantly in advance and only got hung up on trivial stuff, so I didn't feel bad about it.

Same here.  Only on 3-3, but I basically feel the same way about the series thus far.  There are a lot of little points where an FAQ is necessary, and it's usually because you're trying to present the right piece of evidence at the wrong time, but on the whole I don't see my respect for the series taking a nosedive anytime soon.

FF4DS - Just got Rydia.  Like the updates and all, but I'm not far enough to make any judgements.  My roommate, who hated FF4 and has never beaten an SNES FF (though he loves the PSX games for whatever god damn reason) is past getting Yang and loves the game.  I suspect I'll end up enjoying it just for the Nostalgia factor though.