Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685977 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4700 on: September 19, 2009, 11:02:37 PM »
Eh, it seems like I'm less at a constant threat of being wiped out than I usually was in the NES version.  I'm guessing this is mostly just a faulty memory.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: September 19, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
I actually didn't have a problem with that part. I figured out that enemies actually go after you, and the depth isn't hard to get either. I get your frustration there, though, since I lost initiative on there once on the run I A'd, and I -did- get a reset there regardless. On the other hand, the only thing you lose is A CHARACTER QUEST if you don't A the class, and what do you have to gain from them by that point?

True, most character quests aren't anything worth caring about. It just bugs me when designers go "Do everything exactly right here or miss shit." Also, I'd been through the dungeon on Ulrika's path and knew that there was supposed to be a save point there. When I saw it was gone this time I could only sit there and go, "You're fucking kidding me."

Anyway...yeah, in late chapter 8. One of the bounties almost killed me there. Flame Vargo, scary. 9-round timed card cast by a boss that clones itself at low HP and the clone can also add timed cards. Wurfle.

~

I always had to do a fair amount of grinding to keep up in the original DQ4. I don't know what crazy version NEB played.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: September 19, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »
FE10 - Finished! Fun game, so I beat it pretty quick. While it had a few drawbacks compared to earlier FEs - lots of forced characters, and some pretty terrible level distribution - it easily made up for it in other ways. A pretty cool cast, lots of perfectly usable characters, excellent map designs, good OST, and - shock! - really good bosses. Holy hell Dheginsea is a monster, and Ashera took some work too. Hell, Sephiran's only a little damage and HP short of me calling him a full-on godlike. On top of all that, they improved the Laguz, which goodness knows they needed to do.

Final team aside from required units included Haar, Jill, Brom, Nephenee, Mia, Boyd, Mist, Mia, Ilyana, Lyre, Naesala, and Leanne as my Heron of choice. Haar's speed issues really hold him back at endgame, which is a disappointment considering how brutal he was earlier. Nephenee got horribly str screwed, while Mia ran around capping ski, str, spd, AND def. Top that baby off with Vague Katti. Brom was good until the Spirits started doubling him, then PAIN. Lyre... sucked pretty bad at first, but dammit, I picked her as my catgirl of choice so I stuck with her, and some luck with str and reaching S (and eventually SS) level in her weapon helped immensely. Also, Rend being sick. Jill was fine, Mist got to swing Alondite a few times and healed the rest, Ilyana killed herself some dragons, Boyd was freakishly high str.

Of course, Ike was as silly as always. Sothe... the str cap. My god it was terrible. Probably the biggest waste of the required characters. Micaiah caught up in spd enough to not fail miserably, and her mag and res were both nuts. Ena existed for Blood Tide, which helped a bit. Kurthnaga? Starts underleveled, so I... I gave him Paragon and Dragonfoe. Go Kurthnaga! End Goldoa by your own hands. Then I slapped Nihil on him and laughed at Ashera's barriers. 40 a hit to the ones without cover YESIU. Sanaki... best mage probably? Rudol Gem is good def boost, and Cymbeline is glorious, in any case.

Oddly, despite the str issues, Nephenee was my kill leader at 90, followed by Sothe (killed about half of part 1), Mia, Ike, and Ilyana.

Prooobably an 8/10 or so at first impression, though I could change it either up or down a rank after I sit on it for a while.

Also, just started Disgaea DS the other day. Just about to fight Midboss for the first time. Cool stuff is cool.

Interestingly, the only Prinny I'm still using is Scotch; I named my cleric Mint; and my wind mage got Fondue as a random name. I'm taking this as a sign. My fastest minion will one day be named Pizza.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:25:01 PM by Ultradude »
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: September 20, 2009, 04:07:49 AM »
MK2: Oh wow. Raze's chapter 8 boss is failtastic.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: September 20, 2009, 05:52:03 AM »
You're on a second run, that doesn't count. >_> She was an ass to me. Insanely high break rate off MT timed cards and the support loves them that status whoring and is fast. It's not insane or anything, but I wouldn't call it a loser by any stretch.

MK2 - MANA KHEMIA PLOT
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: September 20, 2009, 06:43:52 AM »
PWI:  Finished Frostcovered City.  6 hours, 45% experience.  Now let us never speak of it again.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: September 20, 2009, 07:43:03 AM »
The MK2 second playthrough thing sounds horrible. What do you carry over?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: September 20, 2009, 08:27:52 AM »
The MK2 second playthrough thing sounds horrible. What do you carry over?

Can't recall everything off hand.  Some stuff is forced, and you have a choice for other stuff.

Items
Weapons, Armor, Accessories
Recipes
Money

Let's see Chapter 8 boss.... The three fights?  Damn my memory sucks...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »
Anything that shortens time dealing with Ulrika related matters should be viewed as a godsend.
...into the nightfall.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:52 AM »
SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny

Activated the Green Crystal, who invokes Clotho. She responsible for upgrading the level of your Destiny Strings.

I just entered Venus World, which... Is extremely large. Too large.

I also just met Venus, who seems more uppity and more of a bitch than the last time I saw her.

「この街はすべてが
美しいでしょう?
この世にみにくい物など
必要ありませんからね。」

"Isn't everything in this city beautiful? There's no place for ugliness in this world."
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: September 20, 2009, 09:39:52 AM »
ToV- They really should give the players who have already beaten the PS3 version some benefit so we can progress the game faster. I play this thing not to tsart it all over but to see more Yuri/Flynn yaoi action.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: September 20, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
Scribblenauts: Unlocked all worlds, but I'm probably only at about 20% level completion. The game is interesting, but there aren't enough things to do with items you create, they're all fixed size, and as a whole I'm disappointed with the controls. Case in point: In the first world, there's a puzzle where the goal is up in a tree, and you need to get it down. Simple solution is to either climb up or chop the tree down. I get the idea to go Indy on the game and use a bullwhip to whip it down to me, but the default whip isn't big enough. So when I click on the tree, I chop down the tree with a whip. Boo.

Fallout 3: Level 19. Still neutral, though I had to go through a rampage in Big Town to do it. Oh god, Super Mutant Overlords with tri-laser cannons 3HKO me. Curse you, far too rapidly degrading armor.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: September 20, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
Let's see Chapter 8 boss.... The three fights?  Damn my memory sucks...

Great Tree Spirit Thingamabobber + three of those little mandrake root lookin' guys for support.

And yeah, second cycle benefits surely made it easier, but probably not by very much. Having chapter 9's armor and accessories was gamebreaking for most of Raze's path, but this is chapter eight--I'm almost to the point where I would've got those anyway. Maybe it's just suffering by comparison to Ulrika's C8 boss, which was more than passingly familiar with that thing called "durability."

Also: Jesus, how does temp Ulrika come with 600 HP? Wow.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: September 20, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
Fallout 3: Level 19. Still neutral, though I had to go through a rampage in Big Town to do it. Oh god, Super Mutant Overlords with tri-laser cannons 3HKO me. Curse you, far too rapidly degrading armor.

I like how in that paragraph the most Fallout sentence in there is "Level 19."

City of Villains - I broke like 10 million I think last weekend and have kind of just floated around there.  Level 19 this weekend.  Pissed off at confusing Enhancement slots.  You see I have Swift and Hurdle which increase Running Speed, but I can't put Run Speed set enhancements in it.  Oh no, those would be for -RUN- enhancements you see (like Super Speed for running like the Flash and whatnot) instead of just skills that make you run faster.  I am sure you can see the difference.  It doesn't bother me for the cost, it bothers me with how much of a pain it is to offload enhancements after you make them and find out you can't use them.  See the above complaint and replicate the complaint applying to Hurdle being something that boosts Jumping and Leaping Enhancements not being able to be used.  And of course I can't just vendor the Enhancements after I made the damned things.

And I am pretty sure I fucked up with Set Enhancements I have bought (and some I have made) so far as well, I am sure I am about to find out that I can't put more than one of the same specific kind of enhancement bonus from a set into the same power twice even though I have got a fuckload of some Accuracy/Damage ones.  But I am going to wait until I get to 22 to worry to much about that.  It really actually isn't that bad a game really.  It isn't good and not really worth a monthly fee.  But for a single player game with a multiplayer interface it isn't to bad.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4714 on: September 20, 2009, 02:44:12 PM »

Dude, town rampages are very Fallout. I remember the first one I ever went on. It was Junktown and I didn't realize "holstering my piece" was unequipping my gun, so while I was looking through the manual for the "holster" key, the guards attacked me. And since getting out of combat in the first Fallout was all weird and shit, I ended up having to kill the entire town.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: September 20, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »
Killing a town as an option is fairly fallout.  Doing it to maintain a Neutral reputation is not.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bardiche

« Reply #4716 on: September 20, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »

Dude, town rampages are very Fallout. I remember the first one I ever went on. It was Junktown and I didn't realize "holstering my piece" was unequipping my gun, so while I was looking through the manual for the "holster" key, the guards attacked me. And since getting out of combat in the first Fallout was all weird and shit, I ended up having to kill the entire town.

"So why'd you massacre the town?"

"... Just a misunderstanding."

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: September 20, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
Mist got to use Aldonite if you brought her with you?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Oh well.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: September 20, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
Alondite is just an SS sword, anyone who can reach that level (Mist, Elincia, Meg, Makalov, Renning, Swordmasters) can use it. Ike too I guess but why. <_<

Grandia 3 Emelious Fangirl Playthrough: Haven't updated in a while.

Anyway, Dragon Valley was our next target. I had resets here, but after the first I hit on the skill setup that rips this dungeon apart:

ATK weapon, Perception, Counter, Lizard Hunter, Beast Hunter. All technique based, so the choice of book is pretty obvious. Think I used the Water+2 egg here.

Venom Bird - They poison on physicals, and summon lots and lots of each other... good source of cash if you let them, incidentally. Poison Amulet stops that nonsense. Anyway, super annoying at first, but Perception/Counter/Beast Hunter means dodging almost everything they do and OHKOing on counters. Yeah.
Hill Lizard - They use POIZN. Aside from that, which again is mocked by immunity and Alfina MDef, they aren't too bad. Physicals are a bit sluggish, but evade/Lizard Hunter owns them anyway.
Thunder Dragon - They paralyse regularly with Thunder Breath, Wind Ring reduces that. Usual setup owns them otherwise.
Lycanthrope - Another victim of the above. Their Howlslash seems like decent damage on paper, but Alfina MDef at this point is just psychotic, and Wind Ring doesn't help.
Lycan Knight + Thunder Dragon (1 reset) - Ick. Minibosses, basically a much improved Thunder Dragon and Lycanthrope tagteam. They kinda rip me apart the first time I face them. But the evade/counter/hunter strategy lets me largely mock them. Paralysis is annoying, but wind resistance helps as always, and they don't use it too often. They also use GRAVITY which is laughably useless right now.
Green Man (1 reset) - Super speed, Tornado Drill really hurts because it goes right thrugh evade and nearly 2HKOs. POIZN and Tremor are basically wasted turns, the physicals hurt some when they hit but don't with the evade strategy, and they have a draining ITE move. Anyway, after 1 reset, I decide that I really need more raw durability to survive, so I go for a mixed body/tech setup, dropping the slayers for things like Life Up and Warrior's Way. This works well. What works even better is when I realise that Tornado Drill is Wind and equip to block it. Ahaha. This lets POIZN through, and poison is a bitchy status in Grandia 3 (significantly slows you due to IP damage) but it's still totally worth it and makes them very manageable. Which is good, because eventually you fight 3 at once.

ULF IS A TRAITOR, he chose food over a life of stuffy protecting the Guardian from everyone, including Communicators! Fortunately Drak is less of a dumbass than the dragon knights. Orb get!

Uh oh, time for some really bad music, as we head to Baccula. We also get DAHNA PLOT. LOVE HAS NO PLACE IN MY WORLD. Dahna is emo because her bf left her for Emelious. Oh, hell, that would make me emo too. So we have to forgive her long enough for her to join the party, which is good, because I don't want to face the next boss with one PC.

Egg fusion~. In the interests of keeping things sane I am not breaking down any eggs made from fusion, yet. Still, BOOMOR is fair game, since Dahna starts with the egg it comes from. Yay! Dahna gets a Fire/Earth L2 Egg, Alfina Water/Wind. I buy lots of random accessories and other stuff. And get all the essential dodgy-related skills for both PCs. Also get Jolt Counter, which makes those all-too-frequent counters even better!

So yeah, Baccularn Desert. Fuck fighting the Desert Lord on Disc 1 with this party.

Dragonfly - Interesting little bastards. They summon more of themselves and physical things... nothing interesting there. What is interesting is four of them combo to do Dragon Dance, which is OHKO damage. Cancel that crap and keep 'em under control, not much to say.
Sand Lizard - Pretty decent HP for a non-miniboss, but it's not really good enough to do more than ward off quick counter deaths. Burn hurts, so Fire Rings help out a lot.
Undead Mage (1 reset) - These guys are bastards. Very fast, and have quite a few dangerous spells, including Boom, Burnstrike, and Snooze. The attack stuff can be evaded but it hits a lot so it's harder to. The 1 reset was before I equipped fire defence, which makes their damage really scary. They also have pretty good HP and excellent MDef/elemental resists (not sure which) so they're really tough against magic and not bad against physicals.
Lizard Soldier - I don't remember these guys. Not a good sign.
Sable - Aw, they're so cute. They are quick and bastardly with their attacks and not afraid to use Burn, but aside from some annoying evade they're not much different than a frailer, faster, Sand Lizard.
Skeleton Warrior - They use a moderately damaging ITE physical which there isn't much to be done about besides cancelling. Not too notable an enemy otherwise, dodge dodge dodge, HP is okay.
Baccula Condor - Kinda like those birds a dungeon ago.
Golem (1 reset) - Golems are badass. Immune to IP damage, immune to magic. There scary attack is Lightning, wind + paralysis to everyone. Wind Ring helps, but 1 reset was needed to learn this. Aside from that, they are very fast, but dodging them helps out a lot, as usual. Plenty of HP, but Boomor and Crackle take 'em out.

KORNELL & VIOLETTA (1 reset) - Yeah I'm glad I have two PCs. They are nasty and put on a lot of pressure. Kornell's Iron Fist is fairly benign, using magic that barely breaks Alfina's MDef, or a moderately damaging GT physical. Kornell himself has the dreaded Kornell Buster (borderline 2HKO) and his physicals cancel; he also has fire and wind GT physical techs. Below half HP he casts Wow ("NOBODY CALLS ME A PEABRAIN!"), which buffs every enemy and is thus scary. Violetta, meanwhile, has Burnstrike (huge IP damage is huge), as well as Freeshooter (powerful fan physical) while the scythe mainly uses Howlslash and more physicals. The money attack is a combo between the fist and the scythe, which does Kornell Buster level damage, MT. Obviously the priority to cancel. Below half HP, the Scythe uses Howlnado, solid magic damage + confuse. I use fire defence in my winning run but wind would work just as well. Largely just a matter of staying really on top of things; one PC will die quickly, so reviving quickly as soon as the battle allows is essential. Drak's Orb helps cut through the dangerous limit phase, and counters help a lot. When Violetta dies, Kornell revives her to half HP, but this doesn't bring back the scythe. When Kornell dies, Violetta casts Runner, but even one hasted enemy can't do too much at this point.

Did Emelious just try to kill me?
AHAHAHA THAT'S MY EMELIOUS! <3 <3 <3

Someone has issues.

Anyway, back to Baccula, Level 8 eggs; Dahna gets Fire 3/Earth 2 while Alfina gets Water 3/Wind 2. Ending Disc 1...

Mummy Demon - They have some nasty ice magic, Crackle and Diamond Dust. Not as dangerous as the undead mages they come with but not far from it, and they appear in larger numbers.

Now for Disc 2! Will Alfina and Dahna's quest to find the loser men who left them and went emo meet a happy ending? Stay tuned.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: September 20, 2009, 06:49:44 PM »
Mist got to use Aldonite if you brought her with you?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Oh well.
Like Elf said. Got her to SS in swords just so I could let her swing it a few times - Mia held onto it for a ranged option most of the time. Ike, Mist, and Mia were my only SS sword users at endgame, so Alondite actually didn't see much use, what with Mia having the otherwise superior Vague Katti on hand.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: September 20, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
SaGa 2 Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny

I also just met Venus, who seems more uppity and more of a bitch than the last time I saw her.

"Isn't everything in this city beautiful? There's no place for ugliness in this world."

She talks like that in English Final Fantasy Legend also.

Here's some screenshots from my Frostcovered City run yesterday.  Bonus pantyshots.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: September 20, 2009, 07:39:44 PM »
*sees second screenshot*

Bad CK. Bad.

MK2: Lily's ideal body is exactly what I figured it would be! Also Chloe is an evil witch. That is awesome.

Combat is fun and works well. Really the reason for playing the game of course.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: September 20, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
MK2 stuff:

Character quests are important because you get titles out of them, most of which are very good.

You don't need to beat all the enemies in the underwater dungeon to get an A.  Abuse Puniyo's Honor Student title more.

Regardless, that dungeon can go die in a fire.

As mentioned, carryover mostly affects earlygame.  Once you hit endgame it doesn't really matter much.  Fortunately this is the part of the game that really matters.  The real stupid part is the part where if you opt not to carry stuff over you don't get it back for the extra scenario.

Raze's C8 boss was a joke for me too, even on first playthrough.  Didn't put out enough pressure even with timed spheres and was kinda frail.

Taishyr

« Reply #4723 on: September 20, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »
WA:XF. First Berserker fight (1-14), one loss. Apparently Sentinel+Geomancer wasn't enough. Either that or I just suck at this. Trying again now, will just convert Felius into a second Sentinel and let him lock down the right side. If that's not enough I hiss and spit at forcing unit comboes.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: September 20, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »
You shouldn't need more than two sentinels so long as you're prepared for what's coming up, and that's one of the battles where knowing is certainly half of it.  More to the point, there's nothing wrong with having Sentinels kicking around a bit since they'll have useful skills to use later on like Def +25% and ZoC which are both decently nifty.

That's also one of the last battles to really force you to use a certain unit from what I can recall (though, my most recent playthrough stalled out at 2-4 when Dissidia came out, and my only previous one was when XF first came out, so I could be wrong here).