imageRegister

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685921 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4850 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:26 AM »
PWI:  Finally finished the Wraith's Ploy series of quests, so now I can go BACK!!! TO THE FUTURE!!!  1.71 gigawatts and all that jazz.  Surprisingly they don't seem to have invented sunlight in the past.

Blademaster is level 79, should hit 80 next weekend.  Can't wait to bust out my level 80 axes.

Cleric is level 69, hardly play him anymore.  Although I did fill in on the last half of a Frostcovered City run with him yesterday.  Hooray for 40% experience in one hour.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: September 28, 2009, 04:52:59 AM »
MK2 - Goto CQ4. There are no words for how wrong it is. There just are no words.

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4852 on: September 28, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
Hopped back into the raid scene in WoW after a hiatus. Gave me an interesting idea: wonder how my Tankadin would be ranked? I'm going to say High Heavy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: September 28, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - Completed.

8.5/10

It isn't trainwreck.  It is Psychoanalysis on Japan: The Game.  P2 in both parts is miles above and beyond most other games in that area.  It isn't quite Paprika level oh my god someone knows what they are doing with their Jung/Freud (insert which one is appropriate to each one), but it is really damned good at it.  Also Japan is fucked up.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Djinn!  You left out Great Father~!

I need to repeat this.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: September 28, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
SaGa2 Hihou Densetsu - Goddess of Destiny

I finally beat this damnable final boss.

Sold my XCalibr, 2 Parasuits, 29x Rune Axe and some other stuff to the Pawnbroker so I can buy them again in my New Game+ run... of HumanF/HumanM/MutantF/Monster.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4856 on: September 28, 2009, 10:49:28 AM »
I demand 4x MutantM playthrough, GO!

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: September 28, 2009, 12:19:36 PM »
I demand 4x MutantM playthrough, GO!

Next run I'll do a 4x MutantM run just for you.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: September 28, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
Persona 4- I has SECRET laboratory yes. I am glad to be stuck back into the action as the summer hols were filled with working on SLinks as much as was humanely possible. I even cut out on doing my homework (until the game forced me to do it) and helping Nanako with hers. I is MONSTER. Her SLink was already maxxed! Oh well. Summer is a good time to work on Rise, I think I'll be able to max her this time before this run ends ^_^  I did use a week to help Yosuke at Junes. I probably shouldn't have done that, could have spent the time with other SLinks. At this point I have MAX Tower, Devil, Death, Nanako and Dojima.  Yosuke's at L9 (yes I've been neglecting him!) and I've pushed Young Mother to L8. Should be able to add them to list of finished soon. I am worried about Ai, she didn't rank up during the summer and was below L5 before summer. Managed to push her to L5 since school has restarted though. It was the same with Saki's brother but I have him above L5 now because he's appeared more often than Ai >_>

Twink and tweaking wise I have shoes for Chie w/th counter physicals high odds. Equipped. Or she can opt for the slippers from fishing that add +2 to all stats. I dunno why she'd want to do that though. Teddie has the shiny Red Suit from fishing (+20% physical resist) and an overdose of new claws. Medium odds of various stati on Ted's claws too which is nice. It might just be me but it seems that rainy day drops become less rare as the game goes on with the enemies that drop them appearing in groups of five at once/with multiple groups of them in the dungeon.

I missed out on the Cute Assasin (I'm guessing either a Yosuke weapon or another fan for Yukiko) because I left the rest of my fishing to the last day and then Nanako was like WATERMELONS but overall I'm happy with all the tweaking from rainy drops/fishing/shopping show.

Still using Chie/Teddie/Yukiko =-)

SO3 stuff-

* I liked the within five minutes Sophia more than the Sophia that rejoins honestly. Casual!clothes Sophia is your typical speak what's on your mind girl and it's supposed to mimic banter between real life bf/gfs I think. To get your own back you can even tease her about the sweets she ate. That's great. Yeah I'll take the early game stuff over the more blatant Mary!Sue anyday.

* From the "now I'm actually used to the battle system" you've figured out how to cancel bonus % Yoshi I take it?  

Good stuffs.

* General advice/tips/info -

- You can toggle spells for your AI to use on/off in the symbology menu. This is important because for when they have enough spells they will often as not go spam spell crazy casting random crappy spells when they could actually be doing something useful like using their more powerful battle spells or even healing/support. It's also not good for charas like Nel w/th crappy recovery times to start trying to cast spells smack bang in the middle of an enemy group >_>

Just pick and chose. YMMV but I usually do something like -

Fayt - All off.
Nel - All off. Except Healing depending on my team build/tactics. Or Healing/Thunder Flare
Adray - All offensive spells except Thunder Flare off. For the most part all healing/support on.
Sophia - Everything OFF - because she has a godawful casting time. Thunder Flare/Explosion/Stone Rain should be set to chain as battle skills and Adray is the better heal/support mage. If not Adray anyone -but- Sophia with Healing >_>

* Raise HP and MP w/th SP in the status section of the battle skills menu for your PC and HP/MP and Attack (governs how your AI uses cancel bonus, etc) for AI. You probably already know this but yeah.

* Complete maps and sell the bunnies for £? :D  Keep one bunny for the speed % but they don't stack.

* Use your £ from selling bunnies to buy the expensive overpowered Airyglyph weapons if you want. This could break disc 1 though depending. If breakage is your cup of tea though hell yeah!

* There is an armour for Nel in the Granah Hills that boosts her DEF significantly to the point where she takes 0 damage from enemies in the training facility. At least I think it was the Granah Hills armour and the set up might also need accessories that slightly boost DEF too. Symbol of Courage I think. It's been too long.

* Game BREAKING/money moves

Cliff - Hammer of MIGHT!
Nel - Whirlwind (SL4+), Ice Daggers

I'm not sure if Ice Daggers is pegged as game breaking exactly but it's certainly damn useful and considering Nel doesn't learn WW till L25 >_>

Fayt ... is complicated. He's really quite "meh" until L40 and Air RAID! There's Side KICK but that's still rather meh at least in comparison to the other characters. Fayt is quite awesme if you care to get into the complicated though with extended juggle combos using elemental blade skills w/th passives like Increase HP or Increase MP damage. Long O, Short X, X w/th Blazing Sword + Increase HP damage to hit weakness on a fire weak enemy for example. The damage can go through the roof when combining passives and hitting elemental weaknesses with the blades yeah.

Not going to cover the other characters yet because yeah.

That should do for now I think =-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:12:34 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #4859 on: September 28, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »
WA:XF - ... ... ... Did I just really... is this really what... Okay, what.

Well, XF. I hope you enjoyed your bright but brief period of dominance; however, I must regretfully inform you that it is, quite abruptly, over, for I am not above hammering a game into the ground (and I'm sure you'll pull some tricks that cause me resets anyway); besides, I find your customization aspects far more appealing than your gimmick fights, and the former is precisely what I shall be proceeding to utilize.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: September 28, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
SO3 trick I found out about:
If you hit the Noblemen enough, then they'll stop trying to run away, and just run around the battlefield, tripping occasionally to drop money.  If you also time hits JUST right, you can also keep whatever bribe they give you while still keeping them from running away.  I left my PS2 on one night with a battle doing this and got about two or three battle trophies and 65535 Fol.  Really nice in the earlygame.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: September 28, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »

Well, XF. I hope you enjoyed your bright but brief period of dominance; however, I must regretfully inform you that it is, quite abruptly, over, for I am not above hammering a game into the ground (and I'm sure you'll pull some tricks that cause me resets anyway); besides, I find your customization aspects far more appealing than your gimmick fights, and the former is precisely what I shall be proceeding to utilize.

Yeah, that nicely sums up my opinion on XF. It really is the shame the game's so nasty about giving you so little CP unless you abuse the one fight that opens up around 2-4.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #4862 on: September 28, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »
See, I stumbled upon it by accident, but I've got no regrets about what I'm gonna be doing next time I turn it on.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: September 29, 2009, 03:09:43 AM »
FF1:PSP: Shinryuu status: Slain. It took 4 mega-elixirs and a bunch of luck with his pattern, but I did it. As long as he doesn't use Tidal Wave or Flare two turns in a row you can weather the storm. Having three people who can cast Haste/Temper really speeds up your offensive output. I may try Omega next but I remember he's almost impossible to hurt with physicals. I could Judgment Rod him to death with a Rune Staff for Healra...maybe. Maaaybe.

Cast Temper/Saber (from Giant's Glove) a lot, which lets you break his defense.  I forget what your team is, but if you have a Knight, you do now have Ragnarok, and that should let you hurt him.

Also, if you DON'T have Knight, remember Ragnarok doubles as an extra Flare casting.

granted, problem with buffing against him is he likes to KO characters, and leave your offense shit as a result, so going with the "cast Flare in whatever way possible!" method may in fact be a better method, slow as it is.  Omega is a stupid fight, cause he has only 2 moves, but they're overpowered, and not much you can do about them, contrast to Shinryu where he just hurls lots of MT damage, so how hard he is depends on your team (I know you don't have a White Wizard, so that would make the fight A LOT harder.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: September 29, 2009, 06:33:29 AM »

Yeah, that nicely sums up my opinion on XF. It really is the shame the game's so nasty about giving you so little CP unless you abuse the one fight that opens up around 2-4.

I don't think it's a shame? If anything, it should probably have been earlier, judging by some reactions.

Let people who want to grind do so easily, and let those of us who don't ignore it entirely. Done and done. The game is clearly balanced for the CSP gain rate of plot battles, but if you want to master everything for giggles, they make that doable in a reasonable time if that's your thing.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4865 on: September 29, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »
Wait... so you're saying I only had to wait until 2-4 before I could grind?

Sweet, I might finish XF after all. If I can handle 2-2 and 2-3 without losing my sanity....

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: September 29, 2009, 07:02:08 AM »
The late chapter 1/early chapter 2 battles are ball-busters in the sense that they aren't crushable by raw force. After that third set of classes things start opening up and you can start taking down enemies with more easily with more conventional strategies (SMASH).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: September 29, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »
MK2 - Ulrika path, C9. Tetri is incredibly :psyduck: as a fight.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: September 29, 2009, 07:14:57 AM »
MK2 - Ulrika path, C9. Tetri is incredibly :psyduck: as a fight.

From now on that will be the only way I think about her.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:51 AM »
Except that the first battle with third tier classes is basically setup to look at CRUSH! setups and mock them.  And really annoyingly mock them at that.

Ah well.  Playing MK2.  Currently playing on Flay path, and all of the NPCs range from awesome to servicable.  While the PCs rate from tolerable (Raze/Chloe) to not especially (Ulrika/Lily).  The game...  the changes in the setting I like so far.  Especially since it really is something that may or may not have some connection to the ending of MK1 (don't tell me, I'm really looking forward to finding out in game if there's a connection).  I also approve of the changes to the Grow Book.  It's functionally the same while at the same time getting rid of the annoying bottlenecks that you got from time to time (why hello there no Mag At/Def growth until Ch 6 because one item was missed).

What I like less is the menu font.  I don't know if it's just the font, or if it's the TV, but I can't read it.  If I want to know what items I got from a fight, then I need to have my entire inventory memorised, and see what's changed after I get some loot.  Same with fishing and fruit gathering.  This is vaguely doable right now, but should soon become impossible.  This makes the one upside of the vegetable gather point minigame the fact that it uses the larger font so I can read what I'm getting.  Otherwise...  yeah.  There was no need for a minigame there.  And it's not so trivial to ignore that the game isn't harmed for its inclusion.

However, that isn't really my issue with the game so far.  And my issue is something I have a much harder time understanding.  I suppose a large part of it is that so far there isn't really any, well...  soul to the game.  I mean, MK1, as a story and setting, shouldn't have worked as well as it did.  But the core of Vayne and Sulpher really did a lot to hold the game together and to present everything.  They were good characters that you could somewhat empathise with that made everything else better because they were there.  And I can't hold their absence against MK2.  Their story is done, it finished well, and I'm glad it's been left in the past.  But...  the magic they had, this cast can't seem to touch.  I mean, sure, I'm only in Chapter 2, things still have plenty of time to change.  But it feels like they overloaded so much on the wacky, that it helps to sometimes have things be serious, even if it isn't terribly deep.  Or, more to the point, just to have a freaking conversation between two people who are not insane and/or Zeppel.

So, yeah.  It's a decent enough game, and there's definately things I'm looking forward to.  But for right now, it really does feel like it's an average game missing the spark that made its predecessor good.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: September 29, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »
I mean, sure, I'm only in Chapter 2, things still have plenty of time to change.  But it feels like they overloaded so much on the wacky

Nnnnnnnnno, that sorta remains consistent throughout the game. Things only get more unbalanced. Very lategame gets a bit more srs plot, but the meat of MK2's (still thin as ice) overarching plot lies in Ulrika's path.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: September 29, 2009, 07:33:48 AM »
Ah yes.  That reminds me of the other thing I do kinda like.  Given her writeup in the instruction manual I was expecting Ulrika to be so sugary sweet that I'd get tooth decay, as opposed to Ciato if she were an unlikable bitch.  That Chapter 1 boss fight?  Very satisfying.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:52 AM »
Ah yes.  That reminds me of the other thing I do kinda like.  Given her writeup in the instruction manual I was expecting Ulrika to be so sugary sweet that I'd get tooth decay, as opposed to Ciato if she were an unlikable bitch.  That Chapter 1 boss fight?  Very satisfying.

Yes, Ulrika is really dumb and cocky and sort of a horrible human being at times. Since the game likes making her bite her tongue on that, it works out, though. I thought I'd hate her on her own path, but she works out fine enough.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
SO3 trick I found out about:
If you hit the Noblemen enough, then they'll stop trying to run away, and just run around the battlefield, tripping occasionally to drop money.  If you also time hits JUST right, you can also keep whatever bribe they give you while still keeping them from running away.  I left my PS2 on one night with a battle doing this and got about two or three battle trophies and 65535 Fol.  Really nice in the earlygame.

Old.  The coins aren't really worth it due to the amount of time involved (although if you want to leave your PS2 on overnight, be my guest).  You just want to knock three trophies out of them (the max) and move on to the next encounter.

The second set of Nobleman enemies are much more profitable because their drop is worth much more.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »
Tales of Monkey Island: Lair of the Leviathan

GUYBRUSH VERSUS MANATEE
FIGHT OF THE CENTURY

Edit: Best. Setpiece puzzle. EVER. These people are completely fucking insane and it's awesome.

Edit 2: MURRAY HAS RETURNED
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:04:30 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.