Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685903 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4975 on: October 05, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
Okay, seriously. Fuck Star Ocean. I just shouldn't play ARPGs, apparently. (Except I didn't hate VP2, but whatever.)
In the Shrine of Kaddan, and I just blitzed through the first boss (Crystal Cerberus) along with all sub-bosses. All was going perfectly fine, until I ran into a group of Vendeeni. And then got hit into a corner. Repeatedly. And was just bullet-spammed into a corner. Meanwhile, Adray stands there healing me, but I just got spammed down quicker than he could heal. So I switch to Adray, try to escape. Except one of them shoots Adray down, and so I can't access anything on the menu. And then every time I try to do -anything-, the character I control gets spam-locked into the ground.
So, I'm happy with my voting rights on 5 characters. I might go back to this within the next few weeks, but I'm not likely to ever force myself to finish it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4976 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:05 PM »
Have you tried chaining Air Slash with Air Slash? That's my go-to for killing ranged attackers.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:30 PM »
Air Slash spam is perfect for picking away at people from a distance, yes. I use Maria for this most of the time, but whatever, either works.

SO3's mages are pretty scrubby, Yoshi. Most of the time I just let Nel take care of healing, or have Maria learn Heal and give her the job, because both of them are also more useful for non-healing purposes than Adray is. Shrine of Kaddan's a bit rougher than much of the game that preceded it, but I can't help but think you're making things unnecessarily hard on yourself as well.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: October 05, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
Screw healing, use VAMPIRIC FLASH. There are so, so few things which it does not solve.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:40 PM »
Sure, but I doubt Yoshi has that option at this point.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4980 on: October 06, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »
Fallout 3: Cleared Broken Steel and got the Tesla Cannon, cleared the Pitt and chose to leave it the way it was, and I'm about to start Mothership Zeta. Finally gave up on being neutral, so I'm good.

Crackdown: Achievement farming. Finally got four stars in driving, so I'm doing all kinds of crazy stunts.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: October 06, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »
Eh, I'm bored at work and it's only one hour and twenty minutes until the shift is over.

MK2 - Full Grow Books for everybody! Enemies are even pretty badass competent in a vacuum (tons of quirky offense! MT borderline 2HKO and they show up in numbers! Strong break damage!), but your party is just -so good- at not letting them get much in the way of openings. It's the authentic MK endgame experience against randoms. The boss fights are pretty good, if essentially remixes, at least. BOARPOPRESSOR MK. II once again manages Godlikeness. Even with Enna to kill the satellite sphere, his snorts are mean, mean fuckers.

So, Ulrika characters' evaluations in-battle! Ulrika's party is generally less blessed with stats than Raze's, it has more frail PCs, almost no timed sphere offense, less crowd control and overall less offense. However, it gets timed healing, ways to deal with timed spheres besides sucking it up and taking it like a man, more powerful Supports, higher short-term offense and its utility is a bit more spread out in general. While Raze party had its timed spheres and amazing offense spread as strong points, Ulrika's party generally has stronger utility and quirkier niches. It's a cool spread like that.

Ulrika - Okay. Picture Jessica. Give her better stats across the board and a large GT skill that inflicts just about every MK2 status in the book besides the really niche stuff like Lock-on and Freeze. Make her timed sphere healing MT from the get-go, but make it about 50% as effective, take away the cheaper ST option from her. Oh, and slap a Common Skill-boosting natural passive on her. That's basically Ulrika in a nutshell. Like Puniyo, she's a healer who relies rather heavily on Common Skills to muster up actual offense. Unlike Puniyo, however, she doesn't skyrocket into the top of the damage curve with that niche. Puniyo is generally a more powerful mage healer with the revival/status healing (Ulrika has neither) and doublecasting, but Ulrika has far better stats and is quite versatile at utility. Both Magic Hammer and Cannon Ball (her unique damage techs) are handy utility offense: Magic Hammer is her strongest non-CS tech, with insanely accurate Silence attached, and Cannon Ball's excellent AoE means it's pretty neat a tool to annoy enemies. You'd be surprised at how -many- bosses are vulnerable to Slow, and how rarely it's even resisted. Some bosses also hand you niche uses for Curse as well, and Sleep would be a decent status when it hit if it wasn't the most often resisted/immuned status in the game. Straight offense, however, she's unlikely to have until she gets her CS boosting skill, and that's probably over half the game in, and the healing is halfway into the game - so, Ulrika really sorta putters as a pure status whore for the first few chapters (like Raze, she doesn't start terribly impressive). She's yet another poster child of why Common Skills being defailed is cool.

Chloe - Offense. Offense. OFFENSE. Chloe's damage is utterly nuts. Her spells have just about the best mults in the game - partly because they seem to perenially improve. You see, Chloe has an Analyze spell! Only it's better than Analyze for two reasons. First is that it also shows status immunities and elemental resistances, unlike Raze's. Second, it boosts the damage of her other damage skills. Both Summon Demon Lord and Poison Demon Lord gain higher mults as more things get analyzed (and quite likely as they get hit by World of Book), along with being stronger on enemies that were already analyzed, and the effect they have is insane. You already have all reasons to analyze enemies with it being an okay damage spell that gives you all the info you want: having it exponentially raise the damage you deal with two of the best pure damage spells in the game is just ridiculous. By the time Chloe gets Poison Demon Lord, chances are she eked ahead of Pepperoni for offense, and she never gives that (substantial) lead up. Her offense/defense supports are quite neat as well (one of the few MT Guard supports in Ulrika's path, and having it immune Darkness downright spoils a few nasty fights). Problem? Chloe is entirely ST, has somewhat lacking stats across the board outside the ones related to her offense, and Dark reliance is a bit problematic at times, much like Lily's Ice reliance. Chloe benefits from Common Skills, of course, so it's hardly demoralizing, and Cursed Doll is a niche option for when all elements she carries are being walled, but being a Double-Up skill means it also has its issues. Still, the offense is just ridiculous, and, when you get it, Chloe's Intimate Guard is one of the best in the game (MT HP+ST healing? Oh yes!). One of my MVPs in Ulrika path.

Pepperoni - Earlygame, he's your biggest damage cannon, and he's got crazy HP. Pepperoni is at his best in the first four chapters or so, where he just dominates for offensive options in general: line GT offense, scary as fuck damage with ID attached (albeit a Double-Up skill. It's still quite a dangerous bitchslap), good damage with knockback attached, and he gets those before the mages start getting their money stuff as well. However, as the options widen for the party in general, his use sorta dwindles and his poor speed begins showing hard, although he gets money upgrades for his knockback skill and Fairy Swing eventually, which keep him competitive, so it's all good. You often -do- need the physical punch he provides, especially given how Ulrika's party has the worst fighter in the game. Earth reliance is pretty annoying at times, though, and, unlike Chloe, he can't competently use backup elements.

Enna - He was my other MVP along with Chloe. Enna starts out lacking: slow, not terribly durable and all he has for him is a GT timed sphere skill (which is admittedly neat enough, especially given how Raze path hogged all the other timed sphere offensive). It doesn't take him long to gain more - useful - options and steadily improve both his speed and durability, though. Enna gets Interceptor - i.e. the best way to deal with timed sphere skills in the game, as it works as a passive Purify from Roxis. While Enna has to remain in the active party to erase the cards (Roxis could just swap in, clear cards, possibly deal crappy damage to the enemy and swap out as needed), Enna doesn't have to commit full turns every time you need to handle cards, so it balances decently. Enna's offense also only improves: he gets timed sphere knockback skills and more GT offense, along with sorta specializing on Wind/Thunder offense. In-game, this is pretty nice because Wind isn't an element often resisted. More importantly, he's the only elementally reliant fighter who has competent NE backup (Vertical Missile ends up his best long-term damage, on par with Falling Blade besides only lasting one turn, and it's also the most efficient timed sphere skill in the game. Very good stuff). He also has a neat passive in Auto Attack: while the initiative forces him to use his turn on a basic physical, it also does what Et's initiative does and rearranges speed priority for the party. Not to mention that Enna often doubles the entire enemy party if it activates (at least, he does so at endgame), so it ends out being still pretty good. Just a very neat, offensively versatile PC (being the only PC to specialize in timed sphere offense in Ulrika path is a neat niche in a vacuum. Having timed sphere offense that is versatile -and- even fill unique niches is just cool. Enna would be worth using in Raze path even with the overkill amount of timed offense, to give you an idea), and being able to kill timed spheres is crazy good to boot. His Intimate Guard is solid, too (MT full healing! Dunno if it deals with timed spheres, but you sorta hurt for strong healing in MK2).

Goto - Ugh. One of the PCs in the game had to utterly fail it up, and it had to be Goto. He's a physical fighter with middle-range stats, shoddy equips and utterly awful mults on his damage, along with being reliant on ST damage. He tries to balance between magical damage and physical damage, but he isn't competent enough at magic to use Common Skills well, and his physical skills are -awkward- to use at best and downright bad at worse. His biggest unique niche is STEALING! ... in freaking Mana Khemia, where everything but sweets (ironically) drops like candy from enemies, and it's not even perfect rate stealing to boot. His remaining niche then becomes harvesting Goto Points for getting minor stat boosts and unleashing Goto Romancing as a bit of a short burst volley, then slowly go back to building Goto Points. That's not a good niche, even if maxed Goto Romancing's mult is pretty good (it's limited by Goto's shoddy Attack and weaponry). He does get instant-turn getting A and D-Supports late in the game, which is good,  but that's the only good thing he -has-. Getting a nerfed Overrealm clone isn't very useful either (it does turn him into an okay Middle if you allow full Goto Points! And sadly, by endgame, he builds Goto Points damned fast. Dear god). Goto really has to be a twisted joke from Gust.

EDIT: This post took me an hour to complete. You'd think I have more important stuff to do at work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:52:42 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: October 06, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »
Sure, but I doubt Yoshi has that option at this point.

I think I got it in that underground passageway that leads to Kaddan, myself. That's how I remember it solving so many problems in that area!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: October 06, 2009, 06:57:19 AM »
From what I recall, those vendeeni spam are also light attacks, aren't they?  Which means if your fury gets to full, they'll start kicking their own asses, which means the proper solution is to just put the controller down.

After all, Star Ocean 3 is like Tic Tac Toe and Thermonuclear War, the only way to win is to not play at all.

Moving on with MK2, More Chloe scenes, which are neat, and more Goto scenes, which scare the hell out of me.  And Lily 3...  seems less crazy than Lily 2, but they all have this sense of inevitability about them where you see the pieces get set up, and the only question is how things will go horrifically wrong.  I will admit, Lily didn't actually screw up anywhere near as bad as I expected her to.

Also, for the Ch5 final, I picked Et, and chose to fight Flay.  He's so Bluelike, he makes a full materia FF7 party look like a Puni.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:28 AM »
Moving on with MK2, More Chloe scenes, which are neat, and more Goto scenes, which scare the hell out of me.  And Lily 3...  seems less crazy than Lily 2, but they all have this sense of inevitability about them where you see the pieces get set up, and the only question is how things will go horrifically wrong.  I will admit, Lily didn't actually screw up anywhere near as bad as I expected her to.

They're saving it up for CQ4. I said Lily CQ4 is legendarily unbalanced, and I meant it. It also has more Chloe screentime, too. Lily CQ5 is probably the most balanced of them all, which... actually sorta says something. But Lily's overall unbalance quota is so off the scales that she could have turned into Tim Curry in her fifth CQ and it'd be more balanced in comparison.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4985 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »
After the epic Snow anti-hype, I youtubed Goto CQ4.

It was... weird. And a bit embarassing to watch, but seemed to be pretty standard trainwreck fare. Also, I enjoyed the yaoi-fangirl tendencies getting poked fun at.

Goto himself is... aside from the furry thing... a surprisingly good subversion of how ugly old Japanese men are. I came to this country expecting the ageist society portrayed in anime and then discovered to my surprise that there's this magical age between 35 and 50 where Japanese businessmen suddenly become much bigger (and more successful) playboys than their 25-year-old counterparts. It's not unusual at all to see these 40-year-olds walking around with inexplicably attractive 20-something women. It's mind boggling. I haven't played MK2 at all, but I get the feel that this is what's being portrayed with Goto from the CQ.

The only part that felt really -wrong- with it was the fact that they were trying to play the relationship between the headmaster and Goto straight.

**Disclaimor: Watched it in Japanese with the English text. The American voices might push it into horror territory I suppose.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: October 06, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
Nah, that doesn't happen. The problem is that Goto is obviously an approach at dead baby comedy, but Gust writing just doesn't have the rapid-fire wit and rubberband snappiness to make it work at the level it needs to in order to cross the line while still retaining the hilarity factor. You can still attain acceptable effects via scenario creation without high-wire comedic wit, but when you're dealing with a touchy, easily gonky and inherently trainwrecky subject in senses that are very likely to be straight-out offensive, you either have brilliant comedic blood or you fall flat on your face. And yes, they play the Goto/Marta relationship entirely straight, at least as far as you can play something straight in MK2. And then, there's Goto/Pepperoni chemistry, which just ends up like those drooly retarded dogs you have to hide from the visits. Without the overexaggeration, Goto is basically just rather embarrassingly done due to execution throughout the game. The writing's limitations are a problem that pervades the entire nucleus of what MK2 is and tries to be, but they're particularly glaring with Goto.

EDIT: And dude, I don't even anti-hype Goto that badly, I didn't immediately dismiss him just for being a furry like most of the people I talk to about MK2 did. <_< But botched concepts are botched concepts.

EDIT 2: NISA's somewhat opaque translation may have hurt it as well, but I think the problem lies more in the source material.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:26:46 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4987 on: October 06, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »
Nah, that doesn't happen. The problem is that Goto is obviously an approach at dead baby comedy.
I've only watched CQ4, but I didn't get this impression at all?

EDIT: And dude, I don't even anti-hype Goto that badly, I didn't immediately dismiss him just for being a furry like most of the people I talk to about MK2 did.
I didn't think you had wantonly made your comments, but you were pretty verbose and vocal. Enough that I had to see it for myself.

EDIT 2: NISA's somewhat opaque translation may have hurt it as well, but I think the problem lies more in the source material.
Translation was pretty accurate and used decent analogues for the Japanese terms from what I heard. I just don't know what the American voice actors actually sound like.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »
Nah, that doesn't happen. The problem is that Goto is obviously an approach at dead baby comedy.
I've only watched CQ4, but I didn't get this impression at all?

In relative terms, mostly. I don't mean it as much as "gory squicky comedy" off the bat, but he does put a squicky subject very much to the forefront, and plays with sexuality in a way no other character in MK2 -ever- does. It's a gutsy idea compared to the typical tropoclysm in Gust, if in a deranged sense.

Translation was pretty accurate and used decent analogues for the Japanese terms from what I heard. I just don't know what the American voice actors actually sound like.

That's not the problem at all. The problem is that the text is somewhat... stiff. Lacks fluidity and naturality at times, as if done in an entirely too straight translation at certain points. Which could very well be the nature of the -text- itself, since I've seen that stiffness in both MK1 and AT2 besides MK2. It's one of those cases where playing a bit more freely with the script could have paid off.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: October 06, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
Okay, seriously. Fuck Star Ocean. I just shouldn't play ARPGs, apparently. (Except I didn't hate VP2, but whatever.)
In the Shrine of Kaddan, and I just blitzed through the first boss (Crystal Cerberus) along with all sub-bosses. All was going perfectly fine, until I ran into a group of Vendeeni. And then got hit into a corner. Repeatedly. And was just bullet-spammed into a corner. Meanwhile, Adray stands there healing me, but I just got spammed down quicker than he could heal. So I switch to Adray, try to escape. Except one of them shoots Adray down, and so I can't access anything on the menu. And then every time I try to do -anything-, the character I control gets spam-locked into the ground.
So, I'm happy with my voting rights on 5 characters. I might go back to this within the next few weeks, but I'm not likely to ever force myself to finish it.

Huh.  So, despite all the DL hype around here, SO3 is actually as bad as SO2.  Duely noted.

FF4:  Paladin Cecil.  Item Lore is kind of ridiculous against Scarmiligon.  Not that Scarmiligigonenan needed to be cheesed out, but hey.  Almost have doublecast!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: October 06, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »

Huh.  So, despite all the DL hype around here, SO3 is actually as bad as SO2.  Duely noted.

FF4:  Paladin Cecil.  Item Lore is kind of ridiculous against Scarmiligon.  Not that Scarmiligigonenan needed to be cheesed out, but hey.  Almost have doublecast!

Meh. I had no problems with SO3 gameplay despite my SO2 hate. Yoshi just kinda sucks.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: October 06, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
Eh, SO2 and SO3 aren't really comparable.  And if SO3 isn't something you grok, then it makes SO2 gameplay look good.  I mean, hell, the enemies with 360 degree anti-melee defenses just really hammer home the point that certain types of player should not be playing this game.

Edit: I am shocked and amazed that the spellchecker has an issue with gameplay, but not with grok.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:13 AM »
I'm curious as to whether or not Yoshi was fighting the boss Vendeeni or random encounters. I assume the latter because for the former there's a freaking save point right before them >_> In addition battle trophies triggered are saved to a different slot (i.e the battle trophy specific file) so even if you lose a fight you don't lose them.

SO3 was my first proper ARPG too *shrugs*

I say you just need to save more often. I mean I'm still wiped out occassionally in Persona 4 thanks to random/boss hax on Souji yet you don't see me complaining about it.

That said I really don't think you should just give up like that, there's tons to do and master/learn and it seemed as if you were really enjoying it for the most part.

Nah Adray is an excellent support character w/th all his stuffs. It's just that he's best on the AI as just pure support or that w/th only Lightning Blast/Thunder Flare switched on. He has the stuffs like MP damage and juggling with Aerial as well but you have to be willing to control and master him for that. He has the fasting casting time in the game w/th Quick Symbol + 1/2 Casting time too although I think Maria has better earlier on (i.e the first Kaddan arc) However that's it, he's just doing his job and YMMV on using a slot on a niche character.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:31:54 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
SO3 and SO2 are different beasts.  SO2 doesn't have enemies that can potentially stunlock you to death (although in the original it did have enemies you could potentially both getting stuck in an endless loop jogging backwards and forwards on the screen trying to hit, so it probably evens out).

SO3 really does highlight exactly why Tales games have those invincibility frames after knockdowns though and why it has those knockdowns.  I find they tend to be overly long animations and really ruin the flow of combat sometimes, but it does stop that kind of shit.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: October 06, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
To clarify, this was a random Vendeeni encounter, not the boss one. And I don't have Air Slash (I'm assuming that's on Fayt, right?) because I've been using a team of Cliff/Nel/Adray, then switched Nel for Maria.
I'll probably play this again sometime later and take the advice I've been given (a.k.a. switch Adray for Fayt), but if spamlocking is even remotely common (as in, possible in each dungeon) then I'm gonna get pissed off with this game -very- quickly. I don't mind games being hard, as long as it's non Nintendo Hard, which stunlocking is.
Oh, and as for the attacks being purely light attacks.. they're not. The Vendeeni have two bullet-spam attacks - one's 4 shots of light physical, the other is two shots of heavy physical. So... just standing still won't work. ;(

Keeping all this in mind, though, should I consider SO2 still? Or should I just fuck that and stick to Tales games for ARPGs, seeing as I liked ToS?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: October 06, 2009, 12:29:20 PM »
Air Slash and Vampiric Flash are Albel's skills. You don't have them yet. Rob's thinking of a later part of the game >_>

If you're blitzing w/th max efficiency (hi Cliff/Maria/Peppita) then stunlocking/juggling from enemies shouldn't really be an issue but ... bear in mind that the player can utilise stunlocking/juggling/knockaround as well. If blitzing is failing with your current team it is possible to tie enemies up in other ways. Experiment w/th skills like Aiming Device, Ice Daggers, Adray's Aerial, Lightning Blast/Thunderflare, Ice Needles, Electric Fists for various bonuses like chaos, juggling, stunlocking, freezing, pressure, etc. He has Electric Fists for early on but eventually Cliff picks up a great stunlocking skill of his own in Fists of Fury.

Switching Nel out is possibly what the issue was - did you pick up a new weapon for Maria? If not she starts out weaker/less useful than Nel especially if you didn't use a Tome to teach her Healing either. Also for blitzing purposes have you tried utilising the Tactical Skill Berserk yet at all? In addition both Adray *and* Maria are both new to you so I'm not surprised you had issues throwing in two characters you don't know in a dungeon where the difficulty is increased due to plots. The Vendeeni are supposed to be hard =D They are elites on an undeveloped planet. Or something.

I edited my previous post btw =-)

My advice is if you do continue with SO3 is to save a lot and experiment w/th lots and lots of skills =-)

SO2 is worth a whirl yes, I actually played SO2 first but though I enjoyed it I don't think I could play and replay it as much I've done SO3. The second game is a load of button mash your KM fun which is fine if that's what floats your boat though~
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:28:33 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
SO2 is worth picking up for PSP if you have one and like ARPGs in general.  It fixed all the game stopping bullshit potential pretty much that I can think of (most of which involved inputting attacks and then them never resolving since you can cancel out of attacks at a button press now).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 06, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »
That's not the problem at all. The problem is that the text is somewhat... stiff. Lacks fluidity and naturality at times, as if done in an entirely too straight translation at certain points. Which could very well be the nature of the -text- itself, since I've seen that stiffness in both MK1 and AT2 besides MK2. It's one of those cases where playing a bit more freely with the script could have paid off.

Yeah, this was one of the major problems with the game that made it such a grind getting through both paths.

And Djinn: No, just no. Giving Goto plot credit for anything makes baby Jesus cry tears of blood. And not from his eyes. Also Goto isn't even an old man, as it turns out. He's a [physically] normal human bishy. In other words, THERE'S NO FUCKING REASON FOR HIM TO BE WEARING THE SUIT.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4998 on: October 06, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
And Djinn: No, just no. Giving Goto plot credit for anything makes baby Jesus cry tears of blood. And not from his eyes.

Man, sucks to be the baby Jesus.

Not trying to give Goto credit, really, but the anti-hype seems really overdone from what I've seen.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: October 06, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »
Man, sucks to be the baby Jesus.

Kinda part for the course. Dude didn't have the world's best life.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.