Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685888 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5050 on: October 10, 2009, 01:39:07 AM »
I'm sure after VP1's A ending shenanigans and VP2's "break x part of y monster to get z item", just FAQing a VP game from the get-go can't be that uncommon. <_<
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: October 10, 2009, 01:41:08 AM »
Yes, the series consistently failed it up on the intuitive side of things since its roots.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: October 10, 2009, 01:47:16 AM »
Don't even get me started on how bad they are at User Interfaces.  Gah.  VP2 and VP: Lenneth menus.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: October 10, 2009, 02:23:50 AM »
Anyway, time for talk about better games.

Grandia 3: Some Joke About Jungles, Emelious, Planes, and Dahna's Boobs Edition

So yeah, Ether Egg time. Also, after some gambling, I get Dahna's new cards and the Ninja Slippers for Alfina. Alfina gets the awesome Ebony Armour since Dahna can't wear it, widening the durability gap between the two. And the Golden Ring. New skill that's cool that I start using here: Sharp Eyes. Seems like a (Skill Level+1)*20% to get a large initiative boost at the start of battle, which is very handy. After some experimentation I end up primarily using both girls as mages for this dungeon; Dahna's Berserker physicals are too slow and Alfina's physical game has fallen off due to no ATK weapon upgrade since first arriving in Baccula. BOOMOR domination commences.

Anyway, Vejas enemies are pretty badass. Here's what I'm up against:

Giant Crawfish - They make Drak's Orb tink. This makes me sad. (and kills me once) Aside from that, they're a lot like the Dragonflies from late Disc 1; they summon more of each other then use a painful combo attack called Knocktopus (~900 damage), this time it only needs three of them (though is less impressive for the time). Perhaps more dangerous is their Confusion Waltz, which does significant physical damage itself and inflicts Confuse. Their physicals are also very good for G3 physicals, because they hit half a dozen times or so.

Vejas Mushroom - Not too dangerous overall; their breath attack which I've come to expect from mushrooms only inflicts SIckness, which is less immediately dangerous than paralysis or confusion. They can summon giant space rocks for modestly good ST damage but don't do so often. Scrub enemy here? Possibly!

Chameleon - Dirty cheating whore. Very fast, Camouflage gives them two turns of untargettability (though sometimes they can be hit by GT things centred on other enemies). Fortunately they are weak to physicals so one Ripple Shot can take them out. For offence they like to use Howlslash which isn't really that impressive, but when it's practically free, uncancellable damage when you're fighting other things, it gets annoying.

Flying Eater - Cute little birdy. Except I HATE THEM SO MUCH GRAH. They spawn more of themselves readilly, are moderately speedy, and have a very quick-charging shockingly damaging cancel attack which is always good for messing me up when I don't want it to. Fortunately their HP isn't too good; one Boomor can send them packing.

Sasquatch - Well you only fight them in two battles. They can power up with a Wow clone, and have a fast cancel, like Flying Eaters, but because they never swarm they're much less dangerous overall.

Arlaune - Big giant plant... of DOOM! I remember these guys as being the sequel to Excise Psis. They're not as good, but the similarities are there. Well... kinda. An Arlaune by itself is a wuss. 6500 HP is decent but no more, they have a 3HKO wind physical that cancels, can inflict Sickness (by this point, both PCs block it, as Dahna's best armour is now a Sickness-blocking dress), or cast Quake for unimpressive damage with some lag, or drain some MP (annoying). Plus the usual physical. Whatever, loser. The problem is when they have allies (Crustaceans), they'll use Prey. And eat one.

And you think "hahaha, loser, you ate your own ally, let's see how that works out for you" and then he's all "ahahaha I'm even faster than an Excise Psi now, and all my damage just doubled." And you're all "crap. But at least you only have 6500 HP!" And he's all "nuh uh, either my MDef or my elemental resistance just got boosted a lot because your best spells do under 1000 damage instead of the usual 2500, and my Def is better too". So you're sad. But ultimately he's more manageable than Psi even so, because (a) you can block wind and stop his horrible ST physicals from killing off even the slightly injured, (b) all his allies will run away with the first action they choose after he reaches this form (thank god, he'd be a nightmare otherwise with this party because you can't Drak's Orb the Crustaceans away), and (c) if you're smart you can cancel his initial Prey, which buys you some time to do as much damage to him as possible while his MDef isn't stupid.

Overall, just 2 resets here, which I consider pretty good given the scares this dungeon gave me and the fact that almost every enemy is pretty competent. There are occasional fights against a solo Flying Eater or Mushroom or Crustacean which makes me scratch my head, but hey, you don't turn down the freebies.

Next up is the Ruins. Which means Forest Protectors. And maybe even some more plot for me to mock, because the past 6 hours of gameplay have had none (no, La-Ilim is not plot). Sadness. :( Stay tuned!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5054 on: October 10, 2009, 03:37:48 AM »
Grandia 3 as a better game than VPDS hype made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: October 10, 2009, 03:44:26 AM »
What can he say, it's true.

And I'm playing nothing right now due to apathy. When the option that appeals you most is replaying MK2 for boss notes after just playing it for like a month, you know the spell is dry.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: October 10, 2009, 03:54:18 AM »
Grandia 3 as a better game than VPDS hype made me throw up a little in my mouth.

Don't worry, suggesting the reverse makes me throw up in mine. The gameplays have a few iight years separating them and while G3's plot is certainly worse, it also disappoints on a horribly boring premise instead of an interesting one, and in some ways that's better.

Though in the interest of not tasting vomit, I'm quite happy not to spam the thread with further arguments. <_<

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5057 on: October 10, 2009, 04:38:09 AM »

Don't worry, suggesting the reverse makes me throw up in mine. The gameplays have a few iight years separating them and while G3's plot is certainly worse, it also disappoints on a horribly boring premise instead of an interesting one, and in some ways that's better.

Though in the interest of not tasting vomit, I'm quite happy not to spam the thread with further arguments. <_<

*suppresses the debate welling up inside* Yeah, probably for the best.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: October 10, 2009, 04:41:46 AM »
I see no need for one of each class when every class is just "boring fighter" for the most part. Gwendal and Heugoe remain ridiculously stupid ideas which are worse in every way than FE7 Wallace (at least he has plot in his forced appearance, and it's 50% to see him again instead of 1/3) whom we rightly did not rank.

1 per class feels like the pretty stock suggestion. That said, Heugoe is boring? Maybe if the final Lancer weapon was a Sleep weapon, and not a stone weapon, but all of about 3 DL users use stone in a prominent way (and 1 of the 3 is mocked anyways). Now, finding annoying being based on a status weapon would be a different matter!
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: October 10, 2009, 05:42:44 AM »
I honestly don't even find Basilisk legal (not storebought in the Seraphic Gate shop [and now let's give a minute of silence for how UTTERLY INSANELY VPDS HANDLES ITS EQUIPS DL-WISE], and you can have more than one Lancer per playthrough and there's only one Basilisk), and given how Lancers ride on it entirely to have anything resembling duelling worth, it's both a strike against them being non-boring and non-annoying. Yay votesplit for an entire class based on a goddamned status weapon.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: October 10, 2009, 07:06:23 AM »
Well since NEB has provided up with an upgrade of G3 fun times, time for SUPER WILD ARMS 3 update (aka Clive solo):

Goldrake: Is Goldrake. Meaning he gets handled as usual and dies from plot KO with Lock On form 1 and just sucks form 2

Janus and Co. (1): Um...so. Let's begin the epic. Janus' MultiBlast is apparently OPB here. It's also his best damage >_>. Meanwhile, Romero stops dealing damage once Clive hits like 30 FP and nobody on the enemy team can even kill Clive after 30 FP as long as he defends. Something tells me they made sure this battle wasn't losable. All you have to do is kill Janus so, that's all I ended up doing.

Schutark: All the guardians' first move is their MT attack. So defend on the first turn (learnt this after this fight) before starting the damage. I really don't have much to do for this first one other than ATTACK. So that's all I end up doing. His accuracy is pretty damn bad though. He had a hell of a time trying to kill GALLOWS.

Moor Gault: The competent one. For starters? He's accurate and his physical is damaging. Oh yeah, Vapor Blast hurts like a bitch, and unlike Schutark, he actually used it a few times in battle. I built FP (around 25 or so) to raise my defenses. Then I used Refridgerate, which outdamaged my physical right now to finish the battle. Used like 5 berries or something. Best of the 4 starting guardians.

Gruidev: Sucks and is the scrub guardian. His accuracy is hilariously epic, and he has somehow less speed than a level 7 Clive. Anyway, his defense is good though, so I built some FP and unleashed 100 FP Devastates on him. Which ended the battle pretty quick afterwards

Fengalon: The other somewhat decent one. Has a tendency to cast Turbulence, after which, not even Clive can hit him. His physical is accurate and he also likes using his MT summoning move too. Sound familiar? Yeah. It's like Moor Gault v.2 except he deals less damage which thankfully makes him easier to manage

Janus and Co. 2: All Romero and Dario do is LOSE NERVE and ZIP UP FLY until Janus dies. Janus is also the only one with damage through TRINITY which deals 70 damage before factoring in FP to defense. I'll leave you to figure out how well this went. Afterwards, I clean up the other two with my physical and use Heal to restore health whenever it was running low. Incredibly sad.

Schroedingers: Bring a Fire gem along and set Todd's afro on fire ASAP. Then play defensively with Shield/Heal Berries as needed. Todd is also the ONLY one who is competent at the start (and packs Confusion, which you really do not want to hit) so yeah, gun for him first even if he didn't have the annoying as hell healing factor. Afterwards, take out Shady. Blizzard Breath for some reason doesn't seem to run into Ice Ward. So he ends up with the second most damaging attack before taking damage (!!!). Then you have Maya and Alfred. Alfred is Alfred, which means who cares. Maya can utilize the Gating gun move once she loses some HP but fails before hand. So don't attack her until the other two are dead since damage starts piling up pretty quick. Once she's dead, you pretty much win. Confuse Ward/Fire Ward save the day.

Janus and Co. 3: Still sucks. Trinity got improved, but only Janus can trigger it and they can only use it if all three of them are alive. Kill either Dario or Romero and everyone fails (again!). I went for Dario because Romero deals like 5 damage or something, so who cares. Dario meanwhile actually deals something within 2 digits.

Trask: Cast Fire/Ice like usual and block POIZN. The best Trask can do is with his Biomissile, which he doesn't use after the Fire/Ice cast. Since its a counter of all things, as long as you're not using Fire/Ice wen your low on HP, it shouldn't matter at all. Once his defense is down, start hitting him with my physical a crap load. Died pretty quickly afterwards.

Janus 4: Janus' most competent form or something. Starts using Rising Nova once he loses like 30% of his HP, which deals around 150 damage. I have 550 HP but he goes before me, so effectively I can only take 2 hits before needing to heal. This gets ugly fast if he starts spamming it due to berry usage, but thankfully I only end up using three or something. Past that, he also counters with Heretic Stab, which deals for something less notable (30?) so not too bad. End of Chapter 1 after this!

Melody 1: Bad ass as hell. 2HKO damage right off the bat on good variance. One reset here. I tried using Protect, but that didn't work at all, so I did the next best thing - Mini Carrot. +25 FP means extra defensive power and I live through the initial 2 turns to heal myself and then cast Protect. This drops her damage down to 150 instead of 350 or so. Which is enough breathing room to start hitting her with my physical. One crit here ends it for 900+ damage or something silly like that.

Janus 5: This would be better than Janus 4 except there's a catch - he's patternized. Every other turn, he uses Negative Rainbow over Dark Spear. You really want him to use Dark Spear since its evadable and deals less damage. Every other turn, defend. Use my spare turns to cast Protect and then attack/Heal as necessary. I ended up going pure attack towards the end since it was taking too long and I was burning through too many healing items I felt.

Malik 1: Fun fact - if you don't decelerate Malik, all he does is DISORDER. With my other godly PCs who have no upgrades or mediums doing like 20 damage, I am totally in fear. So yeah. Don't decelerate him, attack once to build FP. Unleash Devastate hell on him

Angolmolis: He's pretty damaging. Grav still works though. So Grav him multiple times until it is within kill range then attack once. Agony Effect deals pretty solid damage (like 150+) even at 100 FP. But he wouldn't use it consistently which made the fight easier.

Huskerl knights 1: Fuck these guys >_>. Second hard fight in this challenge. The problems:
1) Everyone goes before Clive
2) The Blue one can turn cancel
3) The Red one has instant death. The Red one can also heal.

The white one deals damage, but you can see from the above how the situation is pretty damn bad. There's a lot of hoping the Blue one doesn't use the turn cancel and Clive evade to kick in (...) because having it fail means potentially getting ID'd. Equip Attack Blocker/Critical Hit for the best effect since HP won't matter too much until the Red one is dead anyway (you can still get ID'd regardless, might as well blitz it). Reset until Good Luck if needed and hope for evades/no turn cancel hax. Once the Red one is dead, things are much much better. Kill the White one next since it has damage. Then the Blue one afterwards.

I now need Berries though because I used too many :(
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: October 10, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
FF7 - This Materia, it is HUGE. And now I'm in a submarine. With Cloud - apparently mildly claustrophobic - as well as the motion sick one and the robot who can't even fit in the seat.

Best infiltration team ever.

So, uh, was that head trip stuff the worst that Cloud gets?

Then again, I think I'd be fine just playing the game with Cid as party leader forever anyways.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: October 10, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
You know, all this time and I just realized I never ended up making a post regarding MK2's NPCs, which is odd, since they're mostly somewhat memorable and I've been ranting about the game for like a month anyway. Since I haven't updated on anything else, might as well. Woohoo Saturday mornings. This mostly won't cover the character quest NPCs or the Puni Brothers (mostly because those are sorta part of the PCs' evaluations as it stands, really. Puniyo would be incomplete without the Puni Brothers, Corona is basically what gives dimension to Yun, etc. Well, I could open an exception for the Ex-Fairy, because that one was also the -other- saving grace for Pepperoni I failed to mention, but not all that relevant).

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Zeppel - Jesus christ, how did you manage to become more spineless than you were back in MK1? Zeppel didn't change much from his MK1 self, the main switches being the fact he is in a setting where the madness is about ten thousand octanes higher on gear and the fact he has a very, very embarrassing porn goatee. However, the fact that the kindly but easily goaded guy in the roster is now in charge of the academy does not bide well for its running. It does justify Flay running the show like he does, though. He does have a surprisingly sweet scene with Tony in Ulrika path, too. Zeppel is also more backgroundy than ever, which sorta fits - Bernard wasn't terribly relevant either.

Marta - The Chairwoman is an ugly little bitch. Oh, and she crushes over Goto almost as hard as Lily crushes over Raze. Her raison d'etre, at first glance, is to be the main antagonist force in the game. Given how quickly her main conflict device gets solved in the script flow (she is check-mated into keeping the Alchemy class less than halfway through the game, the details of -how- being best viewed by yourself, because I can not properly describe just how deranged the events leading to it are), though, her presence is quickly relegated to being a bitch in a few side scenes and writhing in agony every time Flay gets bored (because Flay getting bored inevitably means he decided to trainwreck something big for whatever reason). While I'm sorta glad Marta just fades into the background due to just not being terribly likable and not having much to be used for, it feels like the writers just got bored of her and didn't bother past the paper-thin setup role she was given. It's kind of a waste conceptually. In practice, I just don't care, though.

Flay - Like MK1, Flay steals the scene just about every time he shows up. Like MK1, this happens very often. However, MK2 Flay obviously follows in the footsteps of MK1's ending for his CQ. I've said ten billion times that Flay ending is canon, but the game really takes the joke to absurd heights. Oh, and he's the vice-principal who Zeppel hired so he could do something about Marta wanting to shut down the Alchemy class. And somehow, he achieves this through nearly destroying the school in an almost monthly basis and encouraging carnage between students in a nearly weekly basis. It's not really supposed to make sense. The sad part is that he, while having the most screentime of any NPC, doesn't have as much screentime as he did in MK1. Still, he's absolutely hilarious, and obviously enjoys being a villain even more than being a hero - and, more importantly, he's at heart still the same Flay: fun-loving, mischievous, gloriously dramatic and utterly devoid of common sense. He just has a -lot more toys- to play with, and those trinkets include the entire student and teacher body of Al-Revis: after all, he needs to increase his armed forces somehow. Elfboy can rest easy regarding the Flayvor of Evil - he's just as fun as he was before.

Tony - Now, Tony I wish they did more with. Like with Flay, you can still recognize Tony from a mile away, and the game nods to MK1 about as carefully as it did with Flay: the scythe on the room, the dialogue with Zeppel lightly nodding to Renee (who else would marry him? Granted, he probably has reason to worry about her cheating if he -hasn't been home for three years-), the fact that he still tries too goddamned hard to be evil and just ends up being sorta endearing in that retarded puppy way - even moreso now that you notice that he's turned into a total and complete softy (the rivalry between him and Flay turning into a friendly, if sorta twisted deal was cool, but I honestly wish that more than two scenes nodded to that). He's also gotten blunter with the years, and this bluntness makes for some funny interaction between him and Ulrika - and it's honestly shocking to see that he's actually halfway competent as a teacher (especially in comparison to Flay, who just tosses students into the gaping maw of death and waits for them to get back. "Holy, he actually explains stuff!" is an actual line, to give you an idea. Al-Revis has gotten a stunning teacher body with the years), but I also like that. However? He just doesn't have enough of that screentime. I mean, he's decently present throughout the game, but it never feels enough. Which is just a pity, because he's the most interesting NPC and the most endearing. Like Flay, Tony is at least just as cool as he was in MK1, but unlike Flay, it feels the screentime he gets doesn't do him justice. It kinda saddens me, but what he does get is pretty fun. Also, the tie is fucking pimp.

Reicher - Reicher is odd, much like the antagonist cast in general for MK2. He's sorta charismatic and generally non-chalant, very strangely friendly and somewhat unsettling exactly because he's such an affable little fellow. You can see he'll be an antagonist from miles away, but he... generally doesn't act like one. Which is quite unusual for a character whose motivation is the ur-trope for your typical shounen villain (I WANT TO FIGHT STRONG PEOPLE I WANT TO BE DEFEATED). I think that what makes him so unusual is that both the game treats his motivation as decidedly unbalanced (he even admits that his brain screws don't really work right) and his general personality doesn't fit the motivation well - which does point to the whole execution being deliberate. And the way he reacts when he finally is defeated is actually honestly refreshing. The manner in which Raze decides to deal with him is also refreshingly hands-off and practical. Reicher's insanely off-character out of context Luca Blight outburst also makes sense once you glue the pieces of the plot splits together. For some reason, he ends up being bigger than the sum of his parts, and I find  hard to dislike him just for how he manages to twist such a tired trope so heavily without deconstructing it. The fact that he's in a game where nothing can be taken seriously also helps, because he doesn't take himself very seriously either. One of the reasons I wish MK2 had a strong writing backbone.

Sasalina - Sasalina's sort of a sad case: she's a wasted character due to the role she was ultimately meant to play, but she fulfills her ultimate role in the cogs very effectively, which leads to a strange result. The sluttily-dressed, lovelorn henchlady of the antagonist is something that can go to very obvious places. But the interactions she has before her (actually non-obvious) place in the plot kicks in are just endearing. The verbal back-and-forth she engages in with Reicher is entertaining, and I so very wish they played this up more. Her first encounter with Ulrika's party (yes, the antagonist's presence lies almost entirely in one route while the henchwoman's presence lies within the other) is also funny, and Sasalina's at her best at that point. But after that, when she starts being affected by the game's Hidden Ultrapower In A Can, Sasalina starts losing her personality as she gets consumed emotionally by it, and the game shows that in a manner that's rather visceral, particularly for MK2's setting. It's both sad and disturbing to see the chipper villain girl slowly turn into an obsessed, nearly incapable of basic communication human shell, and then ultimately disappearing from the plot once she is deemed too deeply affected to keep trying. Given how she reappears in Raze path's ending as chipper and healthy as she usually is, it's safe to assume she recovered, at least (although you wouldn't know who the hell she is if you played his story first). <_< As a plot device, she ends up very, very effective, and that's cool. However, I liked the character that existed before the plot device and honestly wish it got more time to shine. Oh well.

Tetri - The most boring member of the antagonist cast due to no fault of her own. Tetri obviously means no harm at all and is actually a pretty nice person. However, she is mainly obeying orders, and she will take matters in her hands if it needs be. She would honestly be more at home in a game where metaphysics didn't follow Looney Tunes logic, and outside of being as friendly and willing to compromise as a person in a mission could ever be, she doesn't offer much outside of a rather badass boss battle and liking cute things - and she doesn't get a lot of screentime either, for all that this makes sense. Not much to say here, although the glaring, almost cartoonish contrast between her and Ulrika can be entertaining - it's almost sad to see Tetri so willing to explain everything while Ulrika plugs her ears and goes "LALALA NOT LISTENING", and the communicational struggle that stems from the personality clash.

Dark Mana - Also not much to say. Typical foil to the Light Mana, only he's senile to the point of cartoonishness. Sorta boring, and works more as a plot device to start Ulrika's troubles than anything else.

Light Mana - Okay, so the Light Mana is a complete dick. And an unerring pussy. Yes, he manages to be both. The whole game starts due to a bet between the two Manas, but the Light Mana was a dick. Oh, and the reason he is a dick? Because a human kicked his ass once. Basically, he has all the makings of a completely worthless character. However, this turns into gold when the game gives you the chance to meet him in person. You see, the reasoning for the party to reach the Mana? Simply the urge to go punch the goddamn loser in the face for starting the insanity to begin with. And when the party -does- meet him, the fact they mock the hell out of him in such a genre-savvy way is downright hilarious. The characters treat him in such a hands-off approach, like they were talking to the grocery cashier while shopping downtown (including the parts where they start talking to people they know in the grocery and entirely forget the cashier exists), and it pisses him so much he starts foaming at the mouth. Then, a bunch of teenagers beat him up and they borderline forget he exists as he melts down in the most epic nerdrage bout a godlike being could engage. This was quite possibly the best scene in the entirety of the game, and one of the most memorable final boss scenes I've ever seen, if nothing else because of how mercilessly it deconstructs the final confrontation cliches for the sake of laughs. It's downright brilliant, and something I've been hoping to be done for years in a game. Simply hilarious, and definitely makes the game worth playing twice if you already like the gameplay. One of the worst characters to exist serving one of the best purposes ever, in the end of the day, the Light Mana ends up functioning like a brand new cog in the engine. Just excellent.

I probably should have compiled all these incoherent rants into a single world-ending wall of text to haunt you all with, but eh.

EDIT: I wish I could say "Tally-chu possessed me" as an excuse for this gargantuan thought regurgitation, but if Tally-chu possessed me, I would be playing Atelier Iris instead of posting country-wide rants on this topic.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:42:34 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: October 10, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »
1 per class feels like the pretty stock suggestion.

When we ranked FE9, we didn't rank a single archer. Or a single non-royal laguz. When we ranked FE8, we didn't rank a single Dragon Knight. Or Druid, despite them being one of the more interesting classes DL-wise. When we ranked VP2, we didn't rank a single greatswordsman (VP2 PC Arngrim, but lots of people vote on one of his other forms). To some people we didn't rank a single mage (people who vote on boss Lezard). etc. People rightly demand that ranks have a modestly solid plot backing, and Heugoe of the 1/3 splitpath and minimal plot isn't qualifying here.

All of these games didn't have VPDS's problems of splitpath (well, VP2 does to a lesser extent), and are almost certainly all higher vote draws. So yeah, hype for these ranking ideas can go jump off a pier until someone can explain to me what they do that makes them more rankable than someone like Rolf. You'll need to come up with a better argument than "he has a status weapon!", especially given VPDS' serious problems with what weapons are legal as is.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: October 10, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
So, uh, was that head trip stuff the worst that Cloud gets?

That's the last of "Psycho Cloud" bits.  He's pretty sane from here on out.  Well, end game, he gets a little psycho moment, but that's more him going "fuck, leave me alone" in a stylish manner (trying to be vague.)  He gets a little more development at the end of Disc 2, but its entirely based on SANE merits.

Also, IIRC, Cloud wasn't so much claustrophobic as much as he, like Yuffie, also gets Motion Sickness, and the main way he deals with it is moving around a lot to prevent it from happening.  However, being in tight spaces on something like that kind of makes that option not viable, so it starts to make him a little at unease.  He'd be fine if they weren't moving, IOWs.

(after he rejoins, have him talk to Yuffie on the Airship, and he explains about his experience with Motion Sickness.  The general jist of it is "Once you caught it, you're out of luck, but there are ways to PREVENT it from happening!  Try x, y, and z and do NOT do a, b and c!")
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:20:52 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: October 10, 2009, 06:33:13 PM »
Ah, right. I see.

...I guess this is not a very submarine compatible RPG party AT ALL thinking on it. Barret's got a gun arm, Nanaki lacks hands, Cid being a flyboy probably means that he doesn't like subs, Vincent has that claw...

Tifa is the best submariner in the party?
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: October 10, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »
Alright, back to the madness what is MK2.

I think I'm getting pretty close to the endgame as I've just hit the Millenium Forest.  Also, plot stuff actually seems to be happening, though the main party seems to be quite unaware of it.  Parent's Day was...  interesting.  It was looking like it was going to be a boring, if transparent ruse to develop Raze and his Grandfather.  Then Flay steps in...  I am also amused at the fact that one of the students in Flay's class seems to have decided that the life of a hermit upon a glacial mountain is easier than taking his class.  I...  can't actually blame him given the insanity involved both times I've visited that dungeon.

As for character quests, completed every one but Ets.  Lily's character quests were the most consistant, even if they weren't always the best (though, they were always competing).  CQ4 is a good example of just taking the wierdness, and applying it in unexpected ways, but ones that are totally in keeping with the character and their arc.  Also fun was the, well...  ending to the arc in CQ5.  Truly, it ended the only way it possibly could.  Yun is one that I quite liked, though I think that's in large part because I like Yun.  It also helps that in this one, Raze isn't present because he's the only sane man in Al-Revis (with possible exception of Tony) or because he's there or the object of freakish love.  He's useful there because of his past and experiences giving him useful insight into a problem that all the others would have lacked even if they didn't have the crazy dialed up to 12.  Also, Yun's quest features Yun threatening to burn Goto to a crisp if he ever tries to hit on certain six year old girls again, always a plus.  Finally, Puniyo.  I didn't like the way it started, but it actually got some good comedic rythem going near the end.  Especially when you get some of Puniyo's lines in the beginning, the fact that the degradation heaped on Raze is an order of magnitude greater than anything Lily could ever do to him, the "reward" and Lily's reaction to the whole thing.  It is glorious, and worth suffering through Puniyo 1-3 for.

Not much else to say at the moment, but looks like Raze path will be done soon.  And the Grow Book is only about 60% filled.  Which is mildy annoying, since a lot of the reason here is insufficient AP.  The prices have really been jacked up over MK1, which I suppose is a side effect of not having everything linear anymore.  Well, either the prices have been jacked up, or the AP gains have gotten cut down.  Either way, I've got a lot of available slots that just haven't been purchased because I need the 9k skills more than I need +15 Atk for 2k.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: October 10, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »
WA3 Solo Update:

Did some research into the Huskarls. Thank god for SI's besitary and Andraveel's Mechanics guide. What have I learnt? Well...

- The Huskarls have some scripted actions. Most notably, Wisrapt (the turn canceller) casts Protect every 3-5 turns. Always. He doesn't start with Protect at the beginning of the fight
- Jasna (the IDer) starts casting Heal once one person on his team loses 50% of their MHP. He will continue to use Heal over attacking until said ally is fully healed back to 100% MHP
- Jasna AIM stat is actually pretty poor - 41. Levelling up Clive once or twice to level 17 gave him 71 Evade. Along with ATT Blocker, this provides a nice modest evasion chance.
- Vendidurt apparently only has 38 RFX. Level 17 Clive only has 36 RFX. But with Gale Claw's speed boost, it raises him to 45 RFX, which is enough.
- All three of them are apparently susceptible to Sleep at a 75% hit rate

All this leads to quite an elaborate medium swapping strategy to get the job done. Basically:

Turn 1: Wisrapt doesn't have Protect on but will cast Protect. Use this turn to Sleep him so he doesn't Turn Cancel for at least 3-4 rounds
Turn 2: Equip Fiery Rage. Start attacking Jasna so he at least starts healing. Hopefully, you won't get hit by Deathbringer. Vendidurt's attacks you'll have to tank though. So using Terra Roar/Moon Spark here while your working is suggested.
Turn 3-4: Usually need 2 additional turns to kill Jasna. Once he's dead, check to see if Wisrapt is still Sleeping. If he is, Equip Gale Claw instead of Fiery Rage and Sleep Vendidurt.
Turn 5 onward: Use Analyze on Wisrapt to check and see when his Protect falls off. Once it does, cast Sleep on him. If Vendidurt and him are both alive, defend until Protect wears off to minimze damage. Once Wisrapt is asleep, outspeed Vendidurt and Sleep him as well. Then start attacking Wisrapt until he dies. Once that happens, you'll outspeed Vendidurt. Sleep lock him/Heal/Attack to finish.

Have the video recorded, and converted, so will probably upload in a bit. I doubt Meeple had this much trouble with these guys since Ginny has more evade (which makes these guys EMO) and more speed, which makes Wisrapt vaguely suck.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
As for character quests, completed every one but Ets.

Pity, Et's fifth CQ is her best, and one of the best in the game. I roughly agree with all the assessments, though, to varying degrees. Yun's later CQs sorta made him for me as well, and were sorta sweet in their own way.

Grow Book stuff.

Make good use of those late C8 and early C9 randoms, AP gains spike madly in the endgame (also, if need be, fight things at night, you get AP boosts for it). You actually could've stood to use some of the stat bonuses a bit more than many of the skills, though - due to the different way MK2 treats stats (defense is straight division instead of division with enormous constant applied, making your base matter a lot more, and offense is quadratic. You still can afford to sorta skip speed for the most part), but then, many really good innate skills are egregiously expensive, like Puniyo's doublecasting, and I can see beelining for them instead no problem. Don't worry too much, I was also behind a fair deal in Grow Book until the edges of C7-C8, and I'm pretty sure I wasted a lot more time fighting enemies than you due to doing just about every job there was.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
Eh, not really.  I did all the jobs as well, since the bosses occasionally give you stuff.  It's just that with a reasonably up to date grow book, the enemies will all be blue which means you just don't fight them.  I'm guessing that if I hit the Millenium Forest that it's too late for getting any more CQs.

(Besides, I kept a save file at the start of Chapter 9, Phase 9, just in case. Though, this does seem to be a good place to note my dissapointment in the lack of chapter names in this game. Maybe Ulrika has them...)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: October 10, 2009, 10:59:37 PM »
Ulrika doesn't have them, sadly. I will have to point out that, after C4, I don't think I ever saw blue enemies consistently in the new places I visited, outside very few scrubs, and I'm assuming you're doing Hard Mode as well, which also boosts AP gains. (In any case, I probably ended up grinding some more anyway, since I tended to go to places multiple times for harvesting items and fighting enemies there. I sorta didn't avoid enemies much)

And you're right about the CQs. If you really want to watch Et's CQ5 and have an earlier save handy, you could just use that and then resume life as usual. Her CQ title is decent and better than Puniyo's, but it's no big deal.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: October 11, 2009, 12:54:22 AM »

Dissidia:  Enjoying it a lot more than I initially thought I would. The amount of stuff to do is staggering; I've been really lax on the Destiny Point rewards in particular.   

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: October 11, 2009, 01:00:57 AM »
TotA - Beat Nebilim on Hard Mode after only one game over!...  Now since I accidentally saved over the file that was just before her, I have to spend another 15 hours getting up to her from the next-closest file.  Sadness.  Ah well, right?

That fight was fun with Luke/Guy/Tear/Natalia.  Took me 15 Life Bottles, 12 Treats, an All-Divide, and I don't even know what else.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: October 11, 2009, 01:51:48 AM »
SRW Alpha - Through chapter 20. Soon, Sleggar shall get his revenge on an uncaring world with the Super Gundam!

Right after the path split is over, since I went League Militaire in hopes of unlocking GP-02!

So the Evas are pretty cool and all, but not as cool as Alberto the Shockwave paunching Angels and doesn't afraid of anything.

Sadly, going for GP-02 means using very few of the units I wanted to, but I guess this just means more love for Usso and Camille, which I really can't complain about - especially now that Zeta Gundam is in the picture.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: October 11, 2009, 02:22:54 AM »
TotA - Beat Nebilim on Hard Mode after only one game over!...  Now since I accidentally saved over the file that was just before her, I have to spend another 15 hours getting up to her from the next-closest file.  Sadness.  Ah well, right?

That fight was fun with Luke/Guy/Tear/Natalia.  Took me 15 Life Bottles, 12 Treats, an All-Divide, and I don't even know what else.

That's like, the worst possible party.