Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685812 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5225 on: October 18, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »
KH358:  beaten.  Final time was 45 hours (24 CK?  Did you even play the game?)  with 24 challenge tokens and 85 mission tokens.

Basically if you like Kingdom Hearts you'll like this game, if you don't there's nothing new here to change your opinion of the series.

Gameplay was fine, challenge level was just right.  It's hard enough that you'll die occasionally but there's no real penalty for dying (except in Mission mode where it's 3 strikes you're out).  Still haven't beaten that damn Dustflier though.  Ended up with the Omega Weapon+ at the end, which sucks for air combat but is fun for popping Heartless like pimples.

Storywise, I liked how the individual Orgy 13 members had distinct personalities and agendas.  Especially liked how they set up Xaldin's KH2 story throughout this game - wish they had done that with Luxord and Xigbar also.

Couple of minor story quibbles:  they never explain why Demyx is tolerated in the Orgy.  Yeah, he kicks your ass in KH2, but what does he do in this game to earn his position?  Also, in both KH2 and this game, they say Roxas controls the Samurai Nobodies.  But they never actually expand on that and show him training them or instructing them on missions or anything.  Missed opportunity there.

Playable Goofy is fairly lame (GOOFY SHORYUKEN!), but playable Mickey rocks as you would expect.  Pretty much like using Yoda.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: October 18, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
KH358:  beaten.  Final time was 45 hours (24 CK?  Did you even play the game?)  with 24 challenge tokens and 85 mission tokens.

Bolded would be why you spent so much more time on this game.  Missions/Challenge Tokens are something extra if you just want more stuff; I haven't beaten the game and I can already tell they're relatively meaningless for this; the game has enough optional missions as is, it just sort of overwhelms you with the extra stuff, so you kind of want to just get through the game.
(Thankfully, this stuff being optional also means I can't really hold it against the game <_<)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: October 18, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Yeah, but I certainly didn't spend double the gameplay time getting those, they're fairly quick to acquire.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »
VP:CotP

Beaten.

Lots of this game can nicely be summed up as: RAR SMASH. The enemies aren't really durable thanks to the system of allowing nearby allies to attack with you WITHOUT taking their turns. Very much works in your favor as opposed to enemies. Also Vali's Awakening + Might Reinforce = things just die.

The game's plot could have been neat, but for all intents and purposes there were only two major characters who stuck around, Wyl and Ailyth. Either the other characters needed development AFTER joining or those two needed more meaningful interaction which, sadly, they didn't get. It's also kind of weird because I went through A path all the way up to C5 and then got the B ending.

Oh well. I'll do C path on a replay I guess.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:13:03 AM by Pyro »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5229 on: October 19, 2009, 12:12:27 AM »
Wellllll, keep in mind Cap'n that I wanted to rush through the game because I'm a crazy person that enjoys NOMUUUUURAAAA plot.  I've actually continued playing, doing Challenges and Missions in a few here, few there sort of way.  Anyway, with about 60% completion on challenges and... call it 20% on Missions, my clock currently reads 39 hours.  I'm not sure how much more I'll do mind; the challenges I haven't completed are in most cases because I'm having, or expect to have, a lot of trouble with them.  No Magic Don't Miss/Take damage missions, Day 357, that sort of thing.
(I often wish I could just get free Sigils from replaying Believe over and over, honestly.  THAT'S fun.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5230 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:35 AM »

Quote from: Pyro
It's also kind of weird because I went through A path all the way up to C5 and then got the B ending.

The game doesn't stop checking your sacrifices in C5.  So saccing anyone in C5 still jumps you down to the B ending, and if you kill off... i want to say 4? people in C5a you'll still fall all the way down to C Ending.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5231 on: October 19, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
Killing of 1 person EVER in A path gives you B path. Killing off 2 people EVER gives you C path.

This makes it impossible to ever have 3 mages in your party during the main game *cry*. Except for one battle in... B Path (?) where they give you Langrey as a Guest PC. But who cares about Guest PCs?

VPDS: A Path. In Ch5 now, so the boring slog begins. Once I get past this I get to fight the boss that I've been wanting to fight since I started playing. Yay! And then... Seraphic Gate! Whoo!

The gameplay is decidedly Djinn-bait. Easy, and it rewards SMASH with more things to make the game easier.

Note: My otaku friend bought this game but complains about how hard it is. >.>;; Apparently Japanese gamers don't live up to their reputations.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:53:36 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:07 AM »
Note: My otaku friend bought this game but complains about how hard it is.

Does not compute. Please smash current FriendOS with a sledgehammer and try again.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: October 19, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »
Storywise, I liked how the individual Orgy 13 members had distinct personalities and agendas.  Especially liked how they set up Xaldin's KH2 story throughout this game - wish they had done that with Luxord and Xigbar also.

I believe Xigbar got enough, trying to dig any more out of him would outright spoil BbS. Or he already does.... his words regarding Vent and Roxas in the secret report is already a huge spoiler in itself.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: October 19, 2009, 02:38:38 PM »
Valkyrie Covenant -

Ran through the B-Path. That went fairly quickly, since there was apparently no attempt made at all to rebalance the game for sequential playthroughs, despite that seemingly being a big part of the overall idea.

Unhappily it seemed every time I turned around there was another map showing up consecutively to the previous with the ability to save disabled. Who in the heck thought that was a good idea. Now I am questioning my memory of this happening comparatively few times in the C-Path.

Plumed Mireile and Phiona in order to spread out the misery in the party. It is unfortunate that the game does not have a what-happened-to-your-party sequence. Valmur took it better than he did in the C-Path anyway all things considered.

Have to say that the supporting enemies in Chapter 6 were a vast improvement over the ones in the C-Path. Not that this means much of course.

The B-ending meanwhile is arguably a worse ending than the C-ending. To elaborate: In the C-Ending, he does kill Lenneth; the fact that it isn't permanent gyps him out of it being a complete revenge, and Ailyth uses this as a loophole to send him to Niflheim straight away (as he technically failed his side of the covenant, for all that it was unfulfillable). In the B-Ending, he not only fails to kill Lenneth (even temporarily), but he beats up his father, and his father ends up getting sent to Niflheim in his place. So he's technically still alive, but he's effectively achieved the complete opposite of what he set out to do, and he's going to end up in Niflheim himself eventually anyway. On top of that he also finds out that it was his father and Lenneth that caused him to be revived in the first place, not Hel, meaning that not only was the covenant unfulfillable, but that there was no need for him to have entered it in the first place. Hel is a dick.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:23:14 PM by Twilkitri »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: October 19, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
LFT - ahahahahahaha poison being good is so funny.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
Bioshock: Started a new Hard game with regeneration removed. Holy crap, the Big Daddies are tough when you're starting out and don't have awesome weapons and get 2HKOed and you don't have the skill to dodge.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »

Fun facts:

A. I captured absolutely no flags in that game. What you see is me defending our spawn.

B. Blue Team had 3 people on their side for like the last 7 minutes of the match, two of which ragequit before the match ended as seen here. In the time they had a 3 to 2 advantage they managed to get the flag as far as mid before I killed them. They never got the flag into their spawn area.

C. It was instagib, which explains the almost 60 Impressive Medals, also 43% accuracy.

D. Oh yeah, throughout the match people kept bitching about me 'camping' (ie not blithely running off and leaving the flag unguarded). One person who complained about camping spent half the match crouching behind a wall, never moving from his rail spot where he could at least surprise a person once. He ragequit when it became clear we were gonna win.

So, in short:

Ignoring the 50,000 people who play Q3 who are far better at railgunning than I am
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:38:12 PM by AAA »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 20, 2009, 03:41:51 AM »
SRW Alpha - *Tiger Woods fist pump* Took out Ingram on the chapter that SRX first combines in. It took a couple resets to level everyone up enough to have the stats for it, and Rai getting a full-map Will debuffer was clutch.

Strategy involved getting all my super's Will jacked up and attacking. I ended up taking him out with: 150 Will Dancougar using its strongest attack for exactly 10 less damage than would have cause Ingram to retreat, followed by dropping Ingram's Will, getting the Getter Team up to 150, and landing a 28626 damage Stoner Sunshine with Exert and Lucky on.

Hells yeah battle points.

Rest of the map was nothing special, though Shou in Billbine really decimates Dunbine enemies.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 20, 2009, 03:49:30 AM »
Atelier Iris- Started this up finally. The lectures are amusing. Didn't go very far though.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 20, 2009, 06:02:43 AM »
KH358:  Unlocked Sora, which means I've done everything except Challenges and Missions.  Actually didn't take that long because I already had 100% on everything except the various Collect Organization Emblems (the Twilight Town one can burn in hell) and ye old Dustflier.  Dustflier isn't too bad when you know his patterns, I could see him being done with no damage with practice.  Just hate when I accidentally exit the screen while gliding and have to start over.

Also made EXTREEM Saix, with 51% Crit rate and 88 bonus crit damage.  Mwahaha, bye bye Mission Mode.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: October 20, 2009, 06:09:55 AM »
KH358/2: Day 225.  Yeah, going through game slowly, what about it?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: October 20, 2009, 09:33:24 AM »
Meh no matter how good there is other people out there Trips a good game is a good game.  Considered playing Team Arena ever? (Not sure if that is rolled into Quake Live).

Also, people ragequitting in Instagib, I am shocked.

ToV - I am doing stuff.  Not really progressing the plot like I probably should be really, but you see there is Synthesis to be doing and DOG MAP to fill out.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: October 20, 2009, 09:42:52 AM »
FF4 - About to fight the Dark Elf.  After Tower of Zot, I will have Rosa with Dual/Omnicast.  I expect this to be broken once she gets Haste.

L4D - Got up to the end of Death Toll on Advanced, lost the final instance, everyone quit and then a bunch of morons joined the game so we never made it back to the end of that stage.  Beat Blood Harvest on Advanced.  Could probably play on Expert in the pubs now, but, uh.  Idiots.  Really frustrating to play with.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »
Poke me or Trips when we're around, as we're usually up for L4D.

LFT- Chapter 2!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: October 20, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
I'll only shoot you a few times, i promise.

Gref: Generally I main Clan Arena, though I'll do FFAs or Team Deathmatches every now and then. I just did instagib because it's Space CTF and Space CTF basically just boils down into who controls the Railgun spawn anyway!

I don't like doing TDM too often though it seems like it always gets the lion's share of retards who FOR FUCK'S SAKE STOP SHOOTING ME HOW ARE YOU SO STUPID YES TRY TO ROCKET THROUGH ME THAT'S A BRILLIANT PLAN FUUUUUUCK
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 20, 2009, 04:41:40 PM »
Super's the one with the most friendly fire anyway >_>

I am up for tonight if you guys are - haven't played either TF2 or L4D in a while.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 20, 2009, 09:13:06 PM »
LFT - Dear Laggy: I got two resets on plot maps because snagging crystals for abilities is too tempting now. Love.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 20, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »
SRW Alpha - These late-game bosses were not very well planned out.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 20, 2009, 10:33:05 PM »
Played Death Toll with Yakko, Super, and Trips.  Yakko and Trips died on the last Tank, and then I got incapped and swarmed while Super took off on the boat.  That jerk.

At least I shot him and his stupid friends 18 times before the end.