Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685782 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5350 on: October 24, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
AI1- Having fun with this. It's average but enjoyable with a good sense of humor, sans Lita. Screw her. Veola should've been the PC in her place. Just got both halves of the mirror. Party is Klein, Arlin and Delsus (Crossbow ftw). Delsus is probably the most amusing PC I've seen in a while.

Lita hate is fantastic, but Veola can always use more hype.
...into the nightfall.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: October 24, 2009, 11:25:35 PM »
AI1- Having fun with this. It's average but enjoyable with a good sense of humor, sans Lita. Screw her. Veola should've been the PC in her place. Just got both halves of the mirror. Party is Klein, Arlin and Delsus (Crossbow ftw). Delsus is probably the most amusing PC I've seen in a while.

Lita hate is acceptable if misguided, but Veola can always use more hype.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: October 25, 2009, 02:54:08 AM »
Fired up Escape Velocity: Override.  Currently getting blown up repeatedly by the Voinians and their fighters equipped with high-powered missiles.  Fun stuff.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: October 25, 2009, 03:02:26 AM »
Lita and Veola work together magnificently. Without Lita Veola wouldn't be able to reach the heights of entertainment she does (and therefore wouldn't be as endearing/memorable). If you don't like a few of Lita's tsundere scenes that is fine, but she does get some good development outside of her designated trope. Heck, Lita's budding friendship with Veola is a better sub-plot than most.

VPDS: Finished all three paths.

VPDS feels like it is lacking something. At first I couldn't put my finger on it but after three playthroughs I can identify it pretty easily. It just isn't fun. The other two VPs I found tremendously fun, but the fact of the matter is that VPDS' combat system just doesn't hold up. The slow-paced nature of it is grating as all hell, and while the tactical side of it can be enjoyable, it isn't enough to mitigate the fact that things just don't move fast enough. This is compounded by the nature of the game making you want to set up for overkilling things (although you don't have to do this). It might have helped some if you could do practice dummy attack testing ala VP1, but you can't.

The plot was interesting in a sense but much like the game as a whole just can't captivate me. Like VP1 the characters just weren't built upon after recruitment, which wasn't a really good thing then and isn't now. Granted, some of the characters are very likable/fascinating in their own right (Lieselotte and Rosea come to mind), but they aren't enough to drive my interest. I also didn't get a good enough sense for Wyl as a character, whereas the first two games had leads who either were charismatic/unique (Lenneth) or well developed (Alicia).

Oh well, I'm sorry to say that I didn't like the game.

Although I am happy that Lieselotte joins the "Alliterating badasses" list.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »
KH 358/2 Days:  Game is beaten.  Final Time was like 27 hours and some change, and I did every single regular game mission.

I wanted to do a full Meeple Rant...but I'm not feeling up for it.  Overall, the game was good though, and HOLY HELL NOMURA PLOT WITH ACTUAL WRITING WHAT IS THIS!?  There were some things that did piss me off though, mainly some of the monster design decisions (...why must we fight Wyverns WHILE FLYING that can only be hurt by HITTING THEIR TAIL?), which hurt the game's overall enjoyment value, but in the end, a decent addition to the series.

The game also makes CoM seem to serve more of a purpose, cause the game does feed off it in ways that make CoM actually significant instead of useless filler between KH1 and KH2.  HOWEVER, the game still failed to make Namine serve ANY PRACTICAL PURPOSE.  She's the KH series version of Sophia:

If you replaced her with a magical cardboard box, the story would be completely unaffected.  we'd use a completely shallow character, and you wouldn't care.  Ok, there were some scenes that needed a character...problem?  Nothing about the scenes said "This needs to be Namine!"  They were scenes that just said "It needs to be someone who knows what's going on, but can't be in the Organization."  They could have used, say, Diz, and the scene would not only have been unchanged, but probably better,c ause Diz has a far cooler design (Namine has one of the most uninspired, most boring designs ever), a much better VA, and none of this "Tee hee, I'm so sweet and innocent ^_^" act they use with her, instead we'd have a guy who'd pull off the cryptic thing more convincingly, and none of this forced emotional shit in the mix.  Its like they used Namine only cause they had too.  Had Namine been a magical cardboard box, I swear the plot would be IMPROVED.

And you know what's REALLY sad?  Namine has had *3 FUCKING GAMES* to prove she's useful...and she's failed in all of them.  It says something that her DiD role in CoM was her most important work in the entire series, and then CoM more or less writes her out of worthwhile ness cause in KH2, Sora doesn't even remember her, nor does anybody, and all she has is a few VERY FORCED SCENES with Roxas, and a ludicrous one with Kairi...one Axel could have been used for as well...and been better...

Flipside, we have Xion, who despite being her first appearance...made quite an impression!  She actually served a practical purpose, didn't feel forced, and they did stuff with her character to actually give her depth.  Really, working with Xion the way they did, it made Namine BECOME EVEN LESS USEFUL.  It really is quite amazing how worthless Namine is, but no, they have her, so they have to pretend she's meaningful!  But after 3 games they've STILL FAILED MISERABLY.

In the end, Fuck Off Namine; you're a completely pointless character who needs to stop pretending you're massively important. 

SO THAT ASIDE, games probably a 7/10 overall or something.  Would be higher, but the failings do hold it back some...and no, despite my rant, I don't mean the Namine bullshit; that's more just a pet peeve I needed to get off my chest.  The enemy design nonsense combined with a few stage design flaws were actually the main reason.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5355 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:26 AM »
Bought the KH358 Ultimania. Holy shit these things are thorough. It's the first time I've bought an Ultimania, but this thing has stat figures for lvl1-100 for every PC (yeah, ALL of Orgy13 + sekrit characters), plus figures for every piece of equipment, enemy, panel, and ability in the game. There's also a ton of bullshit about the story, but I skimmed that and it looks like a pain to translate. Pretty art, though.

I haven't actually seen the game yet, and since I want to play it in English, it'll be a while before I get back to the states to get a hold of a copy.

So if anyone who's played it is interested in doing a stat topic, I have tons of numbers for you.

VPDS: In contrast to Pyro, I find this game to be probably my favorite SRPG ever. Yeah, Djinn likes easy games, but a game like VPDS gives me the chance to do what I like in an RPG - fine-tuning. I like to find efficient methods for clearing games quickly. In something like Disgaea, this means playing around with the system until I figure out the fastest method for level-grinding. In VPDS, it's more about figuring out combos and how to best set-up sieges to get max Sin. Sure, you can beat both of these games easily without doing that, but an RPG is more fun for me if I'm challenging myself to perfect a method rather than 'zOMG if I -don't- perfect the method, game over and I have to do it again'. So yeah, Djinn likes easy games, but I like them best when they reward my style of play, and VPDS is uncannily good at breaking itself while still remaining fun to see how much -more- you can break it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: October 25, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »
VPDS: In contrast to Pyro, I find this game to be probably my favorite SRPG ever.

You know, Djinn, life was easier for me before I met you in person and realised you were a cool guy. Comments like this make me want to return to demonising you in my mind for having the most alien taste in RPGs I have ever seen.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: October 25, 2009, 04:01:48 AM »
Thou hast so much love in thine tongue
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Taishyr

« Reply #5358 on: October 25, 2009, 04:02:35 AM »
Thus is the accursed/blessed effect of the DLCons.

Also, fish sticks.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: October 25, 2009, 04:08:14 AM »
MK: SA - Chapter 11, Week 5. Finished classes early, now on to free time.

Enemies have been a breeze for the most part, and mostly just good for getting supplies every now and then. (But mostly ignored) Characters are... well, Jess and Nikki are annoying, Pamela barely exists outside of battles, Roxis + Flay and/or MoL = win, though that's mostly because MoL and Flay are just so damn awesome, Moppy is... I'm not sure what to say about him/her/it/whatever, and Anna is insane. Oh, and Vayne is being handled rather well, I feel. I've been doing CQs a lot out of the pure aspect of "What else am I gonna do?" Though I have been ignoring some if I really don't like them/their quests. (See: Anna, Nikki, Pamela)

CQ progress: Jess - 2? 3? Whichever one you learn about her illness from. Overall, not very interesting, and more of a pain than anything else.

Nikki - I want to say 3, but again, not sure. I beat off her secret cult of followers. Again, not impressive, just a pain.

Pamela - 2. I just have absolutely no interest in taking it further. Her CQs are just a painful bit of slugging to get through.

Flay - Currently doing CQ 5, and it is the BANE OF ALL EXISTENCE, UGH. Clearly I need more items (namely Elixirs and Tranquilizers) and whatnot, but I'm not sure I can beat it even then. It's just so damn good at kicking ass. Is there any way to keep yourself from constantly getting broken? Aside from that, I'm definitely loving their interactions, and how Flay is slowly starting to win Vayne over. Beautiful~ <3

Roxis - 4. MoL + Roxis = <3. Flay + Roxis = <3. MoL + Flay = <3<3<3. MoL + Flay + Roxis = <3xInfinity.

Anna - 4. I honestly can't tell what's going on with her half the time. And that kinda feels like a fail on the writing side of things, because the Inner Monologues definitely feel like they were put in so the player would understand. Aside from that, though, they're pretty decent.

Muppy - 3? Didn't want to update him for the longest time, because he seemed a little bit too weird in a bad way, but after his 'spawning season' and the expulsion, he's definitely gone up a LOT in my books. Also: Poor, poor Nikki. (Not)

Tranquilizer needs to be makable far earlier in the game, too. Having the recipe since year 1 and not being able to make it until recently is wtf.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: October 25, 2009, 04:11:55 AM »
So. You didn't want to do Muppy's quests because he was weird, and now you like him because he spawn tons of Muppys and you had to pop them like balloons? You have a strange definition of weird.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5361 on: October 25, 2009, 04:12:46 AM »
VPDS: In contrast to Pyro, I find this game to be probably my favorite SRPG ever.

You know, Djinn, life was easier for me before I met you in person and realised you were a cool guy. Comments like this make me want to return to demonising you in my mind for having the most alien taste in RPGs I have ever seen.

I really am starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me for my taste in RPGs. I mean, -I- understand why I like a game, and feel like I can explain it pretty well. But it always comes as a shock to me when I find out that the DL doesn't like something that I think of so highly. The disparity is really disconcerting, as I find I normally agree with you guys on a lot of things. Just not the Tales series. Or VPDS, it seems. Or FFT.

But hey, I hate FF12 just like everybody else, so take comfort that some things are universal.

Also, the more Japanese gamers I talk to, the more I find my tastes are more similar to theirs than the DL collective's. Could be correlated.

And I find life a lot easier now that I've met you in person and realize you're a cool guy. It makes it easier to respect your opinion instead of blanching at the thought that someone -likes- Grandia 3.  ;D

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: October 25, 2009, 04:15:15 AM »
In fairness, he likes Grandia 3 because of the battle system, which is completely different than liking Grandia 3 for basically anything else related to Grandia 3.
...into the nightfall.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: October 25, 2009, 04:15:47 AM »
*waves a Grandia 3 flag* The gameplay is awesome!~

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: October 25, 2009, 04:16:03 AM »

I really am starting to wonder if there's something wrong with me for my taste in RPGs. I mean, -I- understand why I like a game, and feel like I can explain it pretty well. But it always comes as a shock to me when I find out that the DL doesn't like something that I think of so highly. The disparity is really disconcerting, as I find I normally agree with you guys on a lot of things. Just not the Tales series. Or VPDS, it seems. Or FFT.

But hey, I hate FF12 just like everybody else, so take comfort that some things are universal.

Also, the more Japanese gamers I talk to, the more I find my tastes are more similar to theirs than the DL collective's. Could be correlated.

And I find life a lot easier now that I've met you in person and realize you're a cool guy. It makes it easier to respect your opinion instead of blanching at the thought that someone -likes- Grandia 3.  ;D

OBJECTION.

3 of us here like FF12 , at least!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: October 25, 2009, 04:16:34 AM »
Also Djinn were you angry when the Door option was removed from Dragon Quest?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5366 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:47 AM »
Anything related to Akira Toriyama is where Japan and I have serious disagreement. Like... on the merit of his artistic ability, and game/anime projects he's ever been involved in, his right to continued existence.... We just don't see eye to eye there.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: October 25, 2009, 04:22:57 AM »
Okay, then you can live. ^.^

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: October 25, 2009, 04:24:27 AM »
Fuck everything related to Grandia 3.

LFT- Chapter 2. Just been farting around and unlocking classes mostly.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:04 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu removes the Door command from Ciato's life, flees.

LFT - This seriously tempts me to give FFT an 11/10. Laggy, you win.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:24 AM »
Akira Toriyama's just fine.  It's not HIS fault the DBZ anime has fans.

Seriously, though? The Dragonball manga?  Entertaining stuff.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5371 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:43 AM »
I dunno that Grandia III's battle system justifies it really, but that's because I feel like it was more two steps forward and one step back than the quantum leap everyone else saw in it.
Well, that and I think Elfboy, like Snow, just doesn't even pay attention to story anymore.  He has some sort of immortal shielding that goes "lolreadbooks" and negates it into nothing.

That said, I think VPDS is just divisive as a playstyle thing.  Er, that doesn't sound right.  It's divisive because it's gameplay is misleading.  It looks and has all the features of an SRPG, but taken as an SRPG is not a very good one- there's no strategy or tactics, just "gang up, maim maim maim".  If played as a VP game, which focuses on combos, timing, mixing up parties to find the one that suits you best, the fun factor is much higher (although at that point, you do get into issues re control responsiveness).

PS: I'd be much more interested in the story bits for Days.  Are any of them Nomura interviews?
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: October 25, 2009, 04:29:16 AM »
The Grandia III battle system wasn't that much of an advancement over 1 and 2. It's still really good, but I prefer the original's for pure mechanics.

The part where you actually have to use the battle system, instead of just curbstomping everything? That's good stuff.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: October 25, 2009, 04:32:21 AM »
I like the way techs were handled in G3, it felt like you had to be conservative with your techs but also had a way to regenerate the tech so you could use them the entire dungeon as long as you timed when you use them correctly. Watching this playthrough has definitely emphasized how usable the techs are at all points in the dungeons. I also not only like the challenge of G3 but I like the way that the battles are challenging; completely controllable and you need to know how to deal with it. I like dungeons not being a complete joke and you feeling like you have to do things besides press X to win them.

Only thing I think is a backward step is the Magic system, I think? I barely remember G2's anymore though.

G1 is stupid and I am not talking about it of course.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: October 25, 2009, 04:34:14 AM »
Just curious, Shale, what do you mean about G1's pure mechanics being better?

G3's feel more refined to me: the system of knocking down/airing enemies to increase damage and stun their IP gauges, aerial combos/finishers, techs that cancel (an invention of G2 rather than G3 to be fair) improve the core combat, while the skill system, and books/eggs add a layer of interesting customisability. I also rather disliked G1's magic/weapon levelling mechanics.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.