Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685738 times)

Idun

Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5550 on: November 04, 2009, 04:38:48 AM »
I'm adding KH 358/2 to my backlog. On Day 11. :[

Edit* Oh yeah and I wasn't exactly just hyping Utada or J-Pop. I just really liked the melody and harmony of the song that I felt fits perfectly and is executed well. That is all. I'm more for the Himekami (?) hype.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:42:56 AM by Idun »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: November 04, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
Yay, Utada Hikaru fan. Good choice, Idun. Utada's voice is my personal favorite for J-Pop. She's really quite talented, though obviously her style isn't to everyone's tastes. I know Grefter hates J-pop on principle.

I don't hate it on principle.  I hate it because I have listened to it and like music.  The vast majority of it is absolute soulless garbage.  There is elements to J-Pop that can carry quite well when they aren't soulless vapid pieces of shit (Note, there is so much more to this shittiness than the vocals).  You can see it really shine through in a few Happy Hardcore pieces that float around or in the work of Happyland which is chock to the brim with some of those elements but carries itself much better by backing it up with much stronger instrumental components and other various kinds of awesome.

J-Pop is no better or worse than western Pop, for most you just can't understand most of it or are more forgiving of it because it is Engrish.  There is such a thing as good pop music and pop done well.  This is David Bowie.  Some Gary Numan pieces.  Plenty of soft rock groups put out relatively poppy songs as their radio singles.  It is far from a lost genre.  Just so much of it is shit.

Edit - Actually you want a good example?  Shadow Hearts 2 soundtrack.  That ending song is good game soundtrack music with vocals (it is used very effectively and that helps).  The rest of the soundtrack is also very good examples of what you can and should do with background music.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:32:13 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: November 04, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »
I don't hate it on principle.  I hate it because I have listened to it and like music.  The vast majority of it is absolute soulless garbage.  There is elements to J-Pop that can carry quite well when they aren't soulless vapid pieces of shit (Note, there is so much more to this shittiness than the vocals).  You can see it really shine through in a few Happy Hardcore pieces that float around or in the work of Happyland which is chock to the brim with some of those elements but carries itself much better by backing it up with much stronger instrumental components and other various kinds of awesome

Curious - what constitutes 'soul' in music? What exactly do you mean here?
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »
Compare N'Sync to Tom Waits and tell me you cannot tell there is a difference in the motivation to the music.

Edit - Not to say you can't make good music almost entirely for the money.  A large part of it is Production by Committee, over reliance on synth work/touching up the singing (I would rather listen to a flawed singer or instrumentalist playing it how they play than listen to a perfect C#).  It is the part of music that is not math.

If you want me to put it colloquially, the soul is fucking up or being fucked up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:53:24 AM by Grefter »

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: November 04, 2009, 07:55:37 AM »
Compare N'Sync to Tom Waits and tell me you cannot tell there is a difference in the motivation to the music.

Edit - Not to say you can't make good music almost entirely for the money.  A large part of it is Production by Committee, over reliance on synth work/touching up the singing (I would rather listen to a flawed singer or instrumentalist playing it how they play than listen to a perfect C#).  It is the part of music that is not math.

If you want me to put it colloquially, the soul is fucking up or being fucked up.

It sounds like you're getting at authenticity in music, instead of overproduced crap?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: November 04, 2009, 07:57:33 AM »
Is a very huge part of it indeed.  J-Pop is very VERY overproduced.

Edit - And of course there is a place for post production in music also.  It is about knowing where and when to use it, just like good editing in literature.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:00:05 AM by Grefter »

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: November 04, 2009, 08:00:44 AM »
Is a very huge part of it indeed.  J-Pop is very VERY overproduced.

Y'know, thinking about it, I sort of agree with you. When I like pop or J-pop, it's usually because the music is a hook full of catchiness that won't let itself be ripped out. It's not for a more substantial reason, like the the girl has a good singing voice or the music really appeals.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »
It extends to everything surrounding the genre for J-Pop, you can see it in Djinn's comment (far from a unique response regarding it that she has a clear singing voice).  It isn't about being able to sing well.  Computers can sing perfectly.

Perfection is awesome, but it is something that is amazing when you have people do it with the instruments they are playing.  Dream Theater in concert is AMAZING to watch when they are really on fire but if you want to be absolutely blown away then you find some Clara Rockmore pieces.  Just wow at that.

Edit - And DT are amazing because there is four of them getting it perfect.  Clara Rockmore is a single person getting it perfect on quite possibly the most difficult instrument ever made to do anything at all perfectly.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5558 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »
It extends to everything surrounding the genre for J-Pop, you can see it in Djinn's comment (far from a unique response regarding it that she has a clear singing voice).  It isn't about being able to sing well.  Computers can sing perfectly.

Just want to add that my comment is somewhat misleading about my opinion. I find Utada's voice to be beautiful and haunting; and it stands out as the best I've heard from the pop genre. However, that's very subjective, and using that as an argument is tantamount to saying "Nuh-UH, YOUR opinion is stupid!" So I opted for a more clinical, testable assessment of Utada's merits such as clarity, composition, and technical precision.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #5559 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »
Eh, Alexei's a walking cliche, frankly.  The Leader of the Royal Guards who everyone loves and respects is actually EVIL!? NO WAY!!!

It's not the fact that he turned out to be evil that is intriguing, it's the way he does things that I like. He acts upon his goals in such a fashion that I could see a normal person in that kind of scenario actually doing that. Like I said, the Royal Guard aren't loyal to him because they are teh ebil, it's because he's spent ten years cherry-picking people from the Knights for their loyalty to him and consolidating them in to one unit. It's a tactic that has worked well historically and it makes more sense than somehow having the most elite unit in the Empire's military turn out to be loaded with ax-crazy babykillers and nobody noticed.

It's nice that they actually spell this out for you in ToV, but since this is proven historical tactic, I had always assumed that this is how -all- generically evil RPG military commanders got their elite troops... >.>;;

So, it's not really something I'd give Alexei credit for unless the way the story presents it is particularly creative... (and since I don't remember how ToV did it, I'm going to assume it wasn't that great).

You'd think so, but I seem to recall most evil armies (see: all those goddamn Fire Emblems) boil down to having their "good" Generals replaced with "evil" outsiders who are usually mercenaries, because mercenaries usually know how to maneuver armies in jRPGs just as well as your Generals, possibly even better, and have less moral issues.

I suppose it's kind of a commentary on plotting in RPGs, where I praise Alexei because I can actually imagine someone doing what he does, and it possibly working. And I find this hype-worthy, as usually bad guy strategies in RPGs are pretty much psyduck.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:19:12 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: November 04, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
I think we figured out that PHNK is supposed to 'Phoenix Kid', which is Peter's unpromoted class (promoted: PHNX). But still have no idea what the 'E' in KNTE is supposed to be (Chester's unpromoted class). Presumably Knight-something, but who knows? Wiki lists his class as 'Paladin', so I'm lost.

I didn't see anyone answer this, so I will hazard that it may be Knight Errant.

May as well do a short overview of what I'm up to...

FFX - Have the option to go visit Sin so I am meandering about doing other things.

Front Mission - Circumstances conspired to get me to start this despite intending to only do so after having finished FFX. Only a short ways in.

SRWW - Started a replay of this to nip FM in the bud.

MMBN2 - is a real pain to play with a 25% working R button and 0% working L button.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: November 04, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
In the world of potatoe chips, there is, or perhaps was, I haven't seen them in ages, a flavour known as Beer and Cheddar.  These chips don't actually taste all that good, but they had this knack for producing a craving, such that you want more, even though they aren't actually tasty (or even bland).  So, why is this getting mentioned here you ask?

Well, my brother borrowed Disgaia.  This managed to suck up some time, and I've reached Hoggmeiser's castle with three PCs, six generics, and three Prinnies.  Sadly, I suspect I'm going to have to pick up the third mage type in order to get Flonne some offense.  However, there is some good news.

Which is that I managed to tear myself away from Disgaia and am now puttering through SMT3, which feels like a much better game as well as one that is new.  It's also one where I've been noticing some similarities with the bit of SMT1 I've played, as well as Persona 3/4, and hints heavily that I'll be moving on to P2 after this just to see if my observations about the two series hold.

The thing I find fascinating about the series setting, just conceptually, is the way it very much deals with the difference between the mundane world in which we all live, as well as the supernal world, the font as it were, where the hero travels on his journey.  So you have everyday, normal, Japan, and right next to it is this world where all of the demons, angels, spirits, and gods of mythology live.  And the hero who is, or must become, for one reason or another, master of the world beyond the veil.

Now, the interesting thing which differentiates the two series is how they treat the veil.  In Persona, the protagonist is granted, through a supernatural boon, mastery over the veil.  Which gives him not only the power to master the denizens on the other side in the form of aspects of his inner self that he can control through self-mastery, but also over the veil itself, giving him the mystic boon to be able to traverse from the mundane world to the fantastic.  This also clearly denotes that there are safe havens where one can rest, as well as places where one must be in danger, and the goal is to go on these expeditions in order to save those without these gifts from the dangers they cannot perceive.

But in SMT, the protagonist cannot become master of the veil as the veil gets shattered, the dividing line between fantastic and mundane destroyed, and so the two become one.  This is also characterised by an imperfect control of his power, in that he cannot simply demand obedience, but must gain mastery through negotiation, and through other means of convincing the demons to submit.  As well, the shattered veil means that there are no safe havens where one can rest.  There is no home, no world held safe by the veil in which to rest, and every step can be beset by danger.  But, on the other hand, it also implies that by merging the two, the hero who is one with this infant merged world can master not only the demons itself, but also the world, molding it as he sees fit in a way that the Persona hero, who merely ventures into the fantastical as opposed to living there, can only dream of doing.

And this is one of the reasons why I am very much looking forward to P2, because the few bits I've heard suggests it will be closer to SMT in a few aspects and I'm curious to see how it fits in.

Taishyr

« Reply #5562 on: November 04, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
Mmm. I will be interested in seeing how you react to P2, with that mode of thought. Going to play IS -> EP or just EP?

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
Since I've modded my PS2, might as well take advantage of that.  So, IS then EP.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »
I liked Duke =-(

Condemned- Finished. Well as so much that I progressed through all chapters, defeated the final boss and cleared the game. Final boss was easy but then I did switch game mode to Easy in Chapter 7 as I was tired of having my ass handed to me while I tried to solve puzzles. As I'm not really used to playing these types of games I'm just content I managed to reach Chapter 7 w/o giving up before >_> Now that I know the solutions to the puzzles I'll probably replay through the final chapters on Normal or maybe even Hard. Out of all the boss fights, final included my favourite is probably the demented cook lady. Classic. I am going to own her so hard if I find a gun to fight her w/th next time. Or maybe not as I might go for the complete the game w/th melee weapons only achievement <_<

I quite enjoyed Condemned's story, especially the interactions w/th Rosa though the stuff w/th the birds and the other supernatural stuff was silly. That was probably the point though. I did end up interested in Malcolm and Leland's back story and how they fought "it", wonder what happened to the other family members. Shame it didn't cover that more. My favourite aspects of Condemned were probably the FBI/police/forensics stuff. I quite enjoyed searching for and collecting evidence. There were also nifty bits like a zombie jumping out of a cupboard you just opened instead of the health pack you were looking for or a dude in the story grabbing you when you thought he was dead.

I apologise if I'm overhyping but for three quid this game was damn good. I definitely had my money's worth and more.

Phantasy Star 4- I return. Started and completed the mission w/th Karen and Hyuga on Chapter 2 and I'm now completing a free mission on Chapter 3. Back when I started PS4 I wasn't too impressed and decided to start Enchanted Arms instead which I ended up completing no problem. I'm now trying to give PS4 a serious chance but there are times when I feel quite bored. This is way too simple and basic for an RPG. Limited to Ethan control really blows.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: November 04, 2009, 01:34:19 PM »
Do you by-chance mean Phantasy Star Universe, and not PS4?  I seem to remember Ethan was the character in that >_>
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5566 on: November 04, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
Excal - P2 games do some interesting things with how the mundane world is transformed into the fantastic world through the actions/beliefs of people. It's kind of a striking contrast to P3/4 from the way you've described them. It's a really interesting way of looking at the series, though heavily SMT3-based. SMT3 really -does- focus on the lack of control/lack of a safe haven, now that I think about it. It just gets more apparent the further into the story you get as more factions pop up.

Note on SMT1/2: While SMT1 and SMT3 are about a mundane hero's world getting fucked up; SMT2 stars a hero who is anything but mundane, as he is the direct result of humanity surviving and adapting to the fucked up world (by becoming even more fucked up and fanatical such that they can barely be distinguished from demons themselves, blah blah blah). It still has the 'lack of a safe haven' aspect, but there's really no mundane aspect to the story at all. Except that Aleph kills God (yes, THAT one), which might hit home for the western audience. I'm not spoiler-tagging a 20-year-old (15?) Japanese-only game.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: November 04, 2009, 02:10:36 PM »
Oddly enough, I think it's more based on SMT1 than on 3.  The thing that's struck me most about SMT1 so far is the fact that everywhere is a dungeon, including places that would normally be considered towns.  So far the only safe havens seem to be cafes, and even the houses of healing have their own agendas that they want to influence you towards.

Though, yeah.  I expect that I'll enjoy SMT1 a fair bit once I have a better idea of where the save points and healing houses are.  That's really the revelation that let me start enjoying SMT3, and is one thing the P3/4 did right, which is a great deal of predictability with save points, right up to easy exit/entrance with 4, and a constant reminder of how many floors until the next chance to save in 3.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: November 04, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »
Just want to add that my comment is somewhat misleading about my opinion. I find Utada's voice to be beautiful and haunting; and it stands out as the best I've heard from the pop genre. However, that's very subjective, and using that as an argument is tantamount to saying "Nuh-UH, YOUR opinion is stupid!" So I opted for a more clinical, testable assessment of Utada's merits such as clarity, composition, and technical precision.

Fair but nuh-uh, your opinion is still stupid.  Edit - And yeah it was more representative than something I held against you, it is something that comes up a lot in J-Pop discussions  OOH SHE SINGS SO CLEARLY.  Which prompts the response "Yeah and she is singing about noting at all and the tune fucking sucks".

Dragon Age - Past the opening.  I made a Commoner Dwarf Warrior, pretty nice start.  Dwarves have a Caste based society and you start off as a thug.  I was expecting it to be pretty generic.  And well it is if you count generic as relatively accurate of a ghetto.  Your mother is an alcoholic and your sister works for your coercive employer, she is essentially a prostitute (he uses the Casteless to lure the nobles into having affairs with them by cleaning them up so that they will get knocked up and he/the women can hold it over the nobles).  Colour me surprised.  You are below slaves/servant caste.  It is illegal for you to get any kind of work because your ancestors were stripped of a familly/job.  People in their Caste are stuck there for life almost permanently it seems.  Fairly interesting.

Then shit happens and you win a tournament by pretending to be a nobleman (wasn't your bosses idea, you were supposed to rig a fight and the person he was betting on was drunk), get caught, get kidnapped out of prison by your employer so that he can kill you for fucking up again.  You kill some dudes (Oh yeah this game is also pretty brutal.  I escaped by grabbing the prison guard and caving his skull in on my prison bars.  Nice.  Combat animations on kills are pretty brutal decapitations, eye stabbings and whatnot.  You are almost perpetually covered in blood splatter in combat).  After you escape you are surrounded by guards.  Super Knight Man who watched you rape arse and take names at the tournament wants you to join his order of Super Knight Men and tells the guards to fuck off you just killed the Pimp King of Dwarveton and kicked in the face of stupid noble men who suck.  So you join the Super Knight Men and the plot gets a bit more standard Bioware from there.

But still, a lot of thought put into representing a pretty shitty Dwarf society.  Second best one I can think of off the top of my head (Worse than Arcanum, which was cliche to a T, but represented a coherent philosophy behind it which you can discuss indepth in game and that just made the society fucking awesome).

So yeah I like it so far.  The controls are better than NWN 1 and 2, but still probably not as good as BG2 (Mileage varying there and whatnot).  Haven't tried a caster yet to see how that goes.  Party members can be setup with FF12 Gambit style instructions which might be interesting.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:37:04 PM by Grefter »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: November 04, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
Oh screw you Excal, I wanna play IS. ;_;
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5570 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45:44 PM »
Oh screw you Excal, I wanna play IS. ;_;

It's uh... -really- easy to get. And it's translated. Better than EP was, in fact.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »
Ciato, you have the technology!  All you need to do is hunt down an ISO and the language patch and then it's pretty much exactly the same as running LFT.

On a side note, something I love about Persona?  You can change your resistances mid battle once you know what the boss uses.  Damn you Force weak Magatama against Force boss of the Fire dungeon!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5572 on: November 04, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »
Oh god, you're not FAQ-ing SMTN? What's wrong with you?

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: November 04, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
Erm, I try not to FAQ anything the first time through.  I realize why I may want to make an exception here, but I'm going to hold off on doing so.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5574 on: November 04, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
ToV- Just finished the Leviathan's Claw mansion, supposed to head to Mt. somethingorother.  Supposedly at this point you can unlock Karol's MA, but that actually seems to have plataued at getting a title.  Not that I really use Karol or intend to control him (since, from what I can tell, you can't tell the AI to use an OL so it's pretty pointless for a non-controlled character) but silly skill system triggers obsessive instincts.  On the plus side, I can safely ignore those until party is reunited and not spend much time grinding for a while.

Having read ahead, I have to think that ToV is basically a game in which the plot was never meant to be good or make sense, and is merely a vessel to enforce character development.  Kinda like NGE, but less likely to fool people into thinking otherwise.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.