Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685663 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5700 on: November 11, 2009, 01:03:46 AM »
I think I liked Oghren's character quest the best, personally.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5701 on: November 11, 2009, 02:14:01 AM »
CK's ToV rant

Hey, that's really eloquent. And an interpretation I hadn't really thought about before. Thanks, I like the game a bit better now.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5702 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03:02 AM »
Didn't seem THAT good.  It is, however, finished now at least~
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: November 11, 2009, 03:29:56 AM »
DA: Well, there's certainly nothing suspicious about this quiet mountain village.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: November 11, 2009, 05:27:28 AM »
I think I've grown too cynical for JRPGs when I took the Kreia Moral from Estelle's actions in ToV. "Don't help people or they become useless."

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5705 on: November 11, 2009, 05:36:42 AM »
Honestly I kept expecting Estelle's mentor guy to pop up and say that.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: November 11, 2009, 05:46:31 AM »
Estelle- Princess.  Not terribly fond of her in the main story, too... damsel-y.  Good skit character though.
Nightingale.  Really all that needs said.  I suspect that she actually has some lategame potential as a fighting character with Extra Hits, but eh.
Middle.  Healing isn't terribly good for duelling purpose (pricy) but it's there, but more importantly she's got the anti-Magic option and while she's more of a Light against physical fighters, she doesn't instantly lose to them either and her durability and auto-revive gives her wiggle room.

NO.
You seem to forget that 1. she can't die while in guard 2. she has auto counter in Guard Reflect, Pain Reflect and Pikohan Revenge 3. She has break suppress 4. She has Super Guard and Super Resist 5. She has Angel Recall 6. She has Revive

What does this mean??
Thanks to Break Suppress, knocking her out guard has become terribly hard, aka she can't die, which also mean those who can't not knock her out of guard well die of her counter sooner or later.
Than the effect of Super Guard or Super Resist, by making the damage taken from magic and physical to be reduced to one when guarding in exchange for double damage taken when not. This basically means no one can ever guard breaks her, NO ONE, unless you have none type damage. AKA, they'll eventually die to counters from Pikohan, and OVL gauge increase when attacked too so Estelle can throw in OVL combos or Hi-Ougi once a while after tanking enough. Then there is Anti-Magic to shut off most status, and ToV guard prevents status from physical unless guard break. And Angel Recall is there as a safety measure, combine that with Revive, she can even purposely eat big damage from enemy and have her opponent eat a part of it through Pain Reflect.
Even a good number of high godlikes is going fell before her, so no, she is most definitely NOT middle.

Also, on Karol's damage. Might Charge really is not the primary factor. Second Hit and Down Burst is the real gold here. Try to knock the enemy down to floor with your first arte, and the rest can make your opponent bleed. Then combine with Break Down to keep them on the floor longer... the real trick is to figure out how long each attack can keep the enemy on floor on long they can stay down after a certain number of hit. Usually, the initial down is very short and have a down time extension with the first 3 consecutive hits. If you do it right, you can combo loop enemy by constantly extending their down time.... just you really wouldn't be bothering doing this when you can just spam away with Yuri.

Oh, BTW, Yuri's Hyper Combo does not go by the normal combo count, which means he can still go OVL even combo got disrupted. Hyper Combo skills follow a more lenient internal combo that still counts your hit if it fail to stagger the enemy or enemy broke out with auto recovery.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: November 11, 2009, 06:03:07 AM »
SMT SJ-

Got distracted by the ToV post, but here is what I have to report.
I have heard the Law Route is twisted crack and once again crossed the line from those who have beaten it before me, so I decide to give it a try.

The last boss for Law route is Mem=Aleph, aka MA. Skip all the theological crap, that thing is most fundamental entity of an universal faith of maternal earth and the term MA itself is supposedly to be the basis of all maternal vocabulary in an universal sense. By killing that, you kill all earthly believer and pagan faith. Than the none believers got disintegrated by having angels singing above their head.
Sure, the genocide this time is more thorough than the one in SMT2, but I don't see where it has cross the line, or how can it cross it again consider it has already crossed so many.

Then I see the heroine becomes the FEMALE JESUS packed with crucifixion and got stuck right in the middle of the new millennium. I went "......"

What can I say??

Hallelujah Zelenin!!! Hallelujah!!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: November 11, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »
Here's a much more simple solution: Eternal Support + Force Field + Over-limit. You hit a level 1 OVL, spam force field on you a bunch of times so it sticks, and then become completely, permanently, invincible forever. It's how I won the 200-man melee with her!

On the other hand she still loses to anyone who can mix up both physical and magical damage, since you can't regular guard and magic guard at the same time. Do that and you drop her before she hits overlimit.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: November 11, 2009, 06:13:08 AM »
Err, she has anti-magic, so she can't magic guard isn't a big problem.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: November 11, 2009, 06:26:19 AM »
Which in turn means she can't heal herself, and attacks that do no damage can still launch you if they hit very rapidly, which would break guard and leave her open for murder. Likewise she would die to anyone using things that are neither physical attacks or magic, like SoA bosses, or things that do straight up percentage damage.

ES + FF + OL is the better option.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:27:50 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:26 AM »
And that is where Break Suppress kick in. 1 damage under break suppress takes forever to break her. And it must be VERY rapidly to break her, which is completly unrealistic from a single opponent. Such frequency can only be achieved when there is multiple opponent. Even if they do, it'll take them at least ten turns first, which is enough time for Estelle to heal through her guard healing skill.

Also ES + FF + OVL also means she needs a gauge first, those who can hurt her already kills her out right before she can OVL. Playing Revive+Pain Reflect is a better tactic against those opponent.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: November 11, 2009, 06:56:12 AM »
Unless they have draining attacks or draining weapons, in which case you go back to trying to FF over and over again. And of course, skill lock would shut her down, unless she's already completely invincible to everything forever.

Trying to think of who has abilities that pierce immunity, but the only things coming to mind are WoW classes. And when that enters the equation you just ending up with Algalon as the eternal godlike champion.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:57:47 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: November 11, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
True that parasitic healing hurts her, but there aren't that many people who have parasitic heal and none type damage.

I see FF as luck based last resort, as the opponent she needs that to win usually can kill her before she gets the total invincibility going.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5714 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »
I'd just see ITD damage as getting her.

Alternately, if her entire strategy is to guard and let passive attacks kill, then her opponent just sits there, not attacking, until she finally makes a move. So, unless you self-destruct (beats SHs characters!), then it's not really a great strategy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:37:45 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
I thought we ranked Farmel and Agust??

Anyway, I don't see ITD hits her unless its none type. ITD should not be the cut off as it can still be either phsyical and magical.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5716 on: November 11, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
It's mostly that I see ITD as breaking Guard.

And we didn't rank Farmel...

And Augst is in Light....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »
The answer to this problem is clearly Gawn.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: November 11, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »

I would believe he can be godlike if he has Estelle level durability.

Plus, unless you give characters universal guard command or let them pass turns, a lot of people are forced to attack Estelle.

BTW, as for guard break. It is calculated by an invisible counter as well. Each moves in ToV have different guard break value, if the value exceeds the limit of the counterf, guard break occur. By saying ITD=auto guard break would require the assumption that all ITD are universally having high guard break value, which I find a but of a stretch.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:02:58 AM by Niu »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: November 11, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »
words

I hate Zerenin. Something about her just really ticks me off.

I myself ended up finishing my first playthrough on the Chaos route. Then I decided to do the Law path on the same grounds, and found out some crazy shit.

Yeah.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: November 11, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
FEDS: Chap 17 or some such.  I'd say what I just did in plot, but fuck if I can tell; this game has so little of it, I've just equated it to "Marth's trying to get home, he kills bad guys along the way, there's probably some ancient evil being summoned at the same time." 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: November 11, 2009, 10:36:44 PM »
*looks at entire Estelle argument*

You know if you allow weapon swapping then she can just not equip the skill and turn it on/off at will instantaneously.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:32 PM »

I would believe he can be godlike if he has Estelle level durability.

His damage is gravity styled and rounds down.  He literally cannot kill anyone.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: November 11, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »
Force Field spam with Eternal Support doesn't work in the DL even if she could get OL.  She doesn't have nearly enough TP.  Assuming all TP is burned spamming Force Field, she has a 37% chance of it triggering, which is not very good.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: November 11, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a the New World

Started and got up to having Regal join. A fun game that is superior to ToS in numerous ways. The throwbacks to ToS1 feel kind of forced and pointless, but the two mains and their pet superdog/elemental spirit are likable enough. Mostly because the two leads are both insane in their own ways. Marta is the most aggressive flower girl I have ever seen when it comes to relationships, forcing herself on Emil constantly. Emil is just a standard multiple personalities type, but the dichotomy there is ginormous. "I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry" vs. "The name is Gig, motherfucker. Now die."

Gameplay is ToS styled, but wwith some imporvements. Meh to the monster system, although it is a very large incentive to play on Hard mode (better rates for getting monsters to join).