Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685668 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5725 on: November 11, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
And Augst is in Light....

I would believe he can be godlike if he has Estelle level durability.

Plus, unless you give characters universal guard command or let them pass turns, a lot of people are forced to attack Estelle.

BTW, as for guard break. It is calculated by an invisible counter as well. Each moves in ToV have different guard break value, if the value exceeds the limit of the counterf, guard break occur. By saying ITD=auto guard break would require the assumption that all ITD are universally having high guard break value, which I find a but of a stretch.

Uh... well if I'm letting Estelle use -her- guard command, then I can't see why I wouldn't let other characters use -their- guard commands / skip turn options? I guess she's a good boss-slayer, since most of them -don't- have the option!

As for ITD... well, the idea is that is gets around defenses and just deal damage directly. That works as Guard Break for me.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
As for ITD... well, the idea is that is gets around defenses and just deal damage directly. That works as Guard Break for me.

This is another misconception of the mechanic. Under suepr guard and super resist, when guarding, the entire damage formula is skipped, aka, defence does not matter, or should I say no defence to hit during that state, and all damage automatically become one.  So sure, ITD can cewrtainly bypasss defence, but it is completly irrelevant due to how super guard and super resist works.

Remeber ignore target defence and ignore target defend is two seperate thing. There are moves that do both, but not all of them does. Of course, those who do both should kill her pretty cleanly.*looks at WA5 bosses who have moves that are none type and ignore defence and ignore defend in a single package.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: November 12, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
Mana Khemia 2 - Up to the event at the end of Chapter 3, Raze's path, Hard mode.

Game has been generally fun enough so far. Overall I currently have a less positive opinion of it than I finished MK1 with (partly owing to MK1 deciding to gain actual plot value in its last third or so), but on the other hand, it's certainly better than MK1 was two and half chapters in. Formost among improvements are getting more PCs quickly (since the battle system doesn't get rolling until you can switch) and synthing being more streamlined (being able to synth things you've already made but currently have 0 of on the fly in the middle of synthing something else + YAY IT'S ALL IN ONE ROOM).

Character-wise, Lily is the favourite both in battle and in writing so far, even if she is a completely insufferable bitch who probably violates Punis. (I am currently being told "there is no probably about it" and yeah this is true.) She's funny and seems to exist to put the player off balance a bit and part of me approves of this. Gameplaywise she has the GT/MT so yeah. Puniyo deserves note because her common skills hurt, Et because she has ongoing damage of two flavours, and Raze because he has the most HP and uh ANALYZE even if its animation is lame now and it lacks the awesome power of Sulpher. Yun uh hits fire weakness.

Writing is very uneven, sometimes it has me cracking up (often at its awkwardness) and sometimes it is just bad anime. I dislike that there seems to be a bit too much of it, but I like the fact that it involves FLAY and oh my god how does he keep his job as a teacher.

Gameplay-wise, bosses still rule and are the reason to play the game, randoms... are better than MK1 so far at least? One or two have been anyway. So it's probably better gameplaywise.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: November 12, 2009, 02:33:36 AM »
(I am currently being told "there is no probably about it" and yeah this is true.)

"There is no probably about it" sums up Lily on about -every single verb/adjective construction- you can reasonably pin onto her. It's funny that you like her, particularly that you like her for the same reason I do: she's such an unapologetic trainwreck of a character - and clearly meant to be - that you can't help but giggle. And I told you MK2 takes the anime tropocalypse to new, incredibly awkward new heights.

Just a gameplay recommendation, since you seem to be reaching the point it'll become relevant: keep a couple Vanilla Syrups handy (you get them by killing enemies with Frozen Sweets. Check which enemies leave Vanilla Syrups in the Encyclopedia, it's badass) - and generally have a copy or two of liquid ingredients lying around for Lily's skill upgrades. She gets them by having certain scenes with Whim in the Alchemy room (enter the Alchemy Room with the ingredient after a certain chapter - although the chapter thing may not even be necessary - and then, bam scene) instead of buying them in the Grow Book, which is pretty convenient and economic. The only ingredients I remember are the Rubber Sap Gel, Vanilla Syrup and Super Pure Water, though.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:38:30 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #5729 on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
Remeber ignore target defence and ignore target defend is two seperate thing. There are moves that do both, but not all of them does.

That depends on the game in question. For some, guard just adds X mitigation or avoidance, like FFT, and is clearly nothing more than an additive effect on defenses that already exist. Meanwhile, it's a status in SoA that reduces all damage by 50%, but as we've established, SoA characters destroy Estelle anyway.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: November 12, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »
I thought we threw all the silly stuff like knockdown/away, stunlocking, juggling, sidestepping, guarding/guard lock, invincibility tricks, etc out for ARPGs in the DL? >_>

I have a slightly skewed view of the TOV cast regardless because I didn't really synthesise on my first run through except from picking up Limit Duo/Trio late and a few limit bottles here and there (blah blah VIOLENT PAIN!) so I missed a lot of stuff but yeah.

*CT burns Repede and Estelle hype, flees* ^_^

Phantasy Star Universe- Chapter Ten! Freeze locked to death on a mission wut! Not the first time this has happened >_>  Divine justice I suppose for the amount of times I do it to enemies.

*nods @ Ciddy* Yeah I've set Ethan up w/th darker colours now but they still have shiny stripes <_< I'll agree with the epic stupid in the opening as well though the sister's just as bad now. Probably not her fault, she's loli bait and thus is being used as such (what the fuck game) but yeah. This also applies to Liina or w/e she's called.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:40:36 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5731 on: November 12, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
I thought we threw all the silly stuff like knockdown/away, stunlocking, juggling, sidestepping, guarding/guard lock, invincibility tricks, etc out for ARPGs in the DL? >_>

I have a slightly skewed view of the TOV cast regardless because I didn't really synthesise on my first run through except from picking up Limit Duo/Trio late and a few limit bottles here and there (blah blah VIOLENT PAIN!) so I missed a lot of stuff but yeah.

*CT burns Repede and Estelle hype, flees* ^_^

Well, sidestepping is right out for the sake of sanity. 
Stun locking varies from person to person. 
Knock down... I dunno about most people, but after ToL I started to take the view that, while opponents will have a full CT and immediately attack when they stand up (ie no, no "knock them down -> attack before them!" infinite loop), if you could sneak in another move while the opponent was knocked down (a buff, or in ToL's case Senel's throws) that was kosher.
Juggling is an interesting question and depends on how you mean that.  If you mean "the enemy is mid-air and helpless even though the combo ends" then eh, I could see tossing that.  If it's more "you can keep your combo going a long-ass time" then that's probably legal and something you just account for in damage average terms.
(For clarification, for Tales games I judge comboability and turns by the listed combo gauge.  If you can get stuff to chain without breaking that, it's something that counts as one attack.  if the combo breaks, you ended your turn and the enemy gets to smack you around)
Guarding/Waiting isn't unique to ARPGs, so it's not really specific there.  Some people allow it, I tend to dismiss it out of hand because that sort of artificial stalling annoyed me as a DL thing, although exceptions exist for games like Xenosaga where you using defending to build up your attacks and it's really something you do all the danged time.

This makes Estelle a strange case, because while most of the ToV cast has traditional, "fuck.dat" style Defend command, Estelle has about a third of her unique Skills devoted to the defend command and it's obviously something she was meant to work with in-game.  I'm still inclined against it because, like I said, it's still a universal stall command for everyone else and as I recall I don't tend to allow, say, people to use the item command just because they happen to be better at it.

Invincibility hype now... well, that's neither here nor there.  I know Niu often finds characters who can, in fact, attack indefinitely while being completely invincible (ie, infinite invincibility frames) and generally hypes them as unrankable.  I'm not sure if other people take that view though.
However, skills that directly cause invincibility have always been legal.  See also Elc, Arc.  Repede's invincibility is along those lines, although not quite the same (he has to use shorter combos to maintain it correctly.  However, he can maintain it for a long ass time, or indefinitely if you get his unique accessory.  Not that I did, stupid letting you fight fun optional boss monsters without triggering that quest) >.>)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:05:23 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: November 12, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Not that I did, stupid letting you fight fun optional boss monsters without triggering that quest) >.>)

Huh?  I thought it was from the arena.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »
DA: Underdark Deep Roads. Looooot of dungeon-crawling needed for recruiting the dwarves. Oghren seems pretty decent as a PC. Switched the dog out for him for this arc.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: November 13, 2009, 03:54:39 AM »

On the subject of knock down, it really depends. As there are a category of attack that is completly for knock down purpose and those that completly don't do damage to knock down opponents, it really depends on which fighter you are using. And to my memory, the only three character that really needs knock down are Rid, Farah, and Karol, Senel if we ever going to rank ToL. And out of those four, Karol is the only one who can actually do an infinite out of it.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: November 13, 2009, 05:41:27 AM »
Maximum Dog symbol is indeed from the arena. That said, I think you can miss the 100 man melee by missing the twins? Not sure...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5736 on: November 13, 2009, 05:44:54 AM »
Considering you can do the 100-man melee before you even meet the twins, I think this is unlikely. IIRC, all you have to do to get the 100-man melee is to clear the earlier challenges.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: November 13, 2009, 05:58:06 AM »
Now that I beat LFT, less important games can come to the forefront. Like:

Wild ARMs of Oz - Currently fighting the hilariously unbalanced hordes of Delphi's Summer Villa in order to have a nice cup of tea with another nice witch (the game is laying the whole "Oz is a dick" thing pretty thick. Granted, he -was- a dick in the movie, so it's pretty sensical!). Got two new skills for my party, tried fighting Gou again for the third, but he ended up besting me in a hard-fought battle. I highly suspect I'll be able to eke that win out with the extra Life Tree Ashes I stole on the way to the villa this time around, but I figure I want to save those for Delphi and the extra levels+unlocked equips from beating her are bound to give me a definite, less taxing edge for me on that fight. I already have Dorothy's revival anyway, so I'm fine with waiting. Meanwhile, I got Strawman's Tomato Bomb for extra statusy goodness, and Tin Man got another weakness-hitting skill, further trivializing Lion. His perfect MT stun skill would be really useful if, you know, enemies weren't outsped only by Strawman and Dorothy. The party balance is still much like it was in my last post about the game, only Strawman got better due to Confuse spamming while Lion isn't any more appreciably useful. I figure the MT gravity could be pretty cool, but 2x Ratio is still too much on randoms if you're not disabling or killing an enemy.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:07:27 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:31 AM »
Mana Khemia 2 - Maybe I was overpowered somehow but the Chapter 3 boss sucked, about 100x worse than the Chapter 2 boss, I'm not even certain he was better unscaled. Seemed like all he had was speed and he didn't have enough of that, or enough damage or tricks, to make good on his one stat.

In other news, Flay is a madman. I love it.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: November 13, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »
Mana Khemia 2 - Maybe I was overpowered somehow but the Chapter 3 boss sucked, about 100x worse than the Chapter 2 boss, I'm not even certain he was better unscaled. Seemed like all he had was speed and he didn't have enough of that, or enough damage or tricks, to make good on his one stat.

No, he really just sucks ass. The C3-C5 lull is sorta poor on its chapter bosses (although C4 and C5 aren't too bad, but multiple enemy fights tend to vary more wildly on how good they end up), then C6 cranks it up to eleven and bosses stop sucking for realsies.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 06:22:32 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: November 13, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »
Considering you can do the 100-man melee before you even meet the twins, I think this is unlikely. IIRC, all you have to do to get the 100-man melee is to clear the earlier challenges.

I'm pretty sure you have to collect the three invitations to do it as well. However, you can't miss them at all. I collected all three AFTER beating the game.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: November 13, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »

No, he really just sucks ass. The C3-C5 lull is sorta poor on its chapter bosses (although C4 and C5 aren't too bad, but multiple enemy fights tend to vary more wildly on how good they end up), then C6 cranks it up to eleven and bosses stop sucking for realsies.

Pretty much. Playing on hard mode, NEB?

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: November 13, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »
Dragon Age: Origins.

Whee, this is a blast. I played a bit with a Dwarf Commoner Rogue, but after the plot started to branch out (I grabbed Shale and headed for Redcliffe, starting the quest there) I decided I wasn't really all that happy with the build. I'd just been spreading my skill/talent points around too much, you know? That and I wanted to kick up the difficulty to Hard, because why not? So I've started over as a Human Mage (named Marlowe, sporting a rocking mustache and sort of a pale, hangdog mien), so far focusing on Entropy magic and the cold-elemental tier of Primal spells. Also one Spirit spell, the one that stuns enemies clustered around you. I like him loads so far. Especially since I just learned Cone of Cold. Enemies fear me quite a bit.

Enjoying it greatly, thus far. Continuing to deal with my eternal problem of never knowing what kind of character to make in these sorts of games, but hopefully I'll make it through all the way with Marlowe the Mage before starting another one. I'm thinking Dwarf Noble Rogue, but forgetting the Traps and Stealth business I was sinking points into with my earlier Commoner.

Obviously I will never play an elf and will always, always side against them whenever possible.

Did I mention how much I love elves being degraded, downtrodden, second-class citizens in this game? I love it so much.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: November 13, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »
WAoO - Beat Delphi, who was an okay fight, but in much the same spirit as Flora. Also got Gou Yoku's final skills! -That- fight was a bit more interesting, mainly because Gou Yoku actually had potential OHKO powers to my frailer members (something Delphi lacked without Magic Focus) and the speed debuff is a bit of a dick move. Oh well. This set of skills ain't too exciting - just Magic Reflection for Dorothy, ID for Strawman, a defense buff for Lion and another weakness move for Tin Man. The accuracy debuff is actually pretty badass, though, now that I tinkered with it some more. Strawman is a pest.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »
Obviously I will never play an elf and will always, always side against them whenever possible.

You'll enjoy the Brecilian Forest finale, then.

DA: OHSHIT DRAGON. Went back to Haven to finish that subplot (had got sick of it earlier and left just before the boss fight). Can't seem to kill the high dragon on Normal. It's not required for plot or anything, but dammit, I want to kill it! (I switched to Easy and killed it to see what kind of loot I'd get. Decent, but nothing I absolutely need. Dragonbone equips are nice and all, but so are Juggernaut/Legion sets). Closest I got was it having ~10% HP left, with only Wynne running around and sniping it--which had actually worked fairly well since everyone else had been dead since before the thing was even halfway finished, but a high-variance Wing Buffet + physical combo killed me. Bastard. Eh, I got the ashes, I'll come back and deal with him later. I also need to go back and finish Orzammar stuff, because that boss kicked my ass the first time too. Boss fights in this game are fucking brutal.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: November 14, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »

Pretty much. Playing on hard mode, NEB?

That I would enjoy the game more on Hard Mode was the second thing I learned about the game, right after "It has Flay and he is possibly even more insane than before".

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: November 14, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »
Potions of fire resist are your best friend against dragons El Cid (Greater Warmth Balm or something).  There are some in shops if needed, slap one on at least your tank, keep your healer a fair ways away from the dragon and turn the dragon around away from your party, should slowly be able to chip it down.

I see no reason to play the game on Hard though Strago, fuck me Normal is brutal enough sometimes.  Mages are easy mode though by all reports and Rogues are the hardest to do properly (and you are right, need the focus at least at the start). 

Dragon Age - My little brother finished it last night, I am towards the end I think, just got to finish Haven and then Denerim pretty much.  Has been a really fun ride.  Next play through I am going to play a mage and play it on Easy just to curb stomp everything into oblivion (No Friendly Fire on spells means I burn the world.  Will probably play through with no tank, 3 mages and a rogue).

Also Strago, as much as being an elf fails, apparently if you want to really play around with being a hobo in this world then City Elf is the way to go (this will be my mage.  He is going to side against the elves because fuck those guys).  Edit - For the record, doing Commoner Dwarf myself and fucking loving it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: November 14, 2009, 02:35:41 AM »
Dragon Age: Origins.

Whee, this is a blast. I played a bit with a Dwarf Commoner Rogue, but after the plot started to branch out (I grabbed Shale and headed for Redcliffe, starting the quest there) I decided I wasn't really all that happy with the build. I'd just been spreading my skill/talent points around too much, you know? That and I wanted to kick up the difficulty to Hard, because why not? So I've started over as a Human Mage (named Marlowe, sporting a rocking mustache and sort of a pale, hangdog mien), so far focusing on Entropy magic and the cold-elemental tier of Primal spells. Also one Spirit spell, the one that stuns enemies clustered around you. I like him loads so far. Especially since I just learned Cone of Cold. Enemies fear me quite a bit.

Enjoying it greatly, thus far. Continuing to deal with my eternal problem of never knowing what kind of character to make in these sorts of games, but hopefully I'll make it through all the way with Marlowe the Mage before starting another one. I'm thinking Dwarf Noble Rogue, but forgetting the Traps and Stealth business I was sinking points into with my earlier Commoner.

Did I mention how much I love elves being degraded, downtrodden, second-class citizens in this game? I love it so much.

Traps suck but stealth doesn't. Lategame enemy mages are brutal glass cannons (no protection whoring on the BG2 level) and stealth ganking them to start a fight can be really valuable. Not to mention walking into an ambush invisible and being able to see how the encounter's laid out without actually starting the fight.

If you're ever going to try a rogue again, have him beeline for level 2 poisons. That's how you brew your own bombs, which I talked about earlier in this topic. They're the best damage in the game.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: November 14, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »
If you are a Mage, pick up Arcane Warrior as your spec. It's not just a great spec, it's game-breaking. You can be the mage and the tank at the same time, except that you do more damage and are harder to kill.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: November 14, 2009, 02:53:32 AM »
All signs point to any combination of Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer/Blood Mage are retarded broken goodness.

Edit - I ARE MAKE ENGLISH GOOD IN YOUR FACE
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.