Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685593 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5925 on: November 22, 2009, 09:13:47 AM »
Snow, for the Oz game, is Scarecrow really called "Strawman" or are you being facetious?

Thanks for the Oz writeups though, I'm still anxiously awaiting a chance to play the game, but reading about it has been fun. DL writeups coming? I'm curious to hear a bit more on what the main bosses are like, too.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:52 PM »
X-2 Hatbot Challenge: I've been putting a log of this on liveJournal, realised I hadn't posted it in here. To summarise the start of this file, Boris was easy and Paine learnt Sentinel while Rikku learnt Sleepy Shuffle. Black Mage get! Was in Mushroom Rock Road dying with a team of Black Mage/Warrior/Gunner.

--- --- ---

Alright. Knew what I was expecting this time round, and went in spamming Blizzard against Fire Elementals. By the time I reached the Den of Woe, Yuna had learnt Focus, so moved on to Blizzara. Ended up using a Potion after the fight, though, due to my own stupidity - wanted to make Fire multi-target, went the wrong way, ended up casting it on Yuna. >_>
A few fights and some Potions later, Rikku learnt Liquid Steel and started learning Thunder Blade.
It's amazing how much easier this section was when I knew it would take more than one round to kill a Fire Elemental. >.>

With that area cleared, I get to do some more 100% completion stuff, like TALKING TO MAECHEN AGAIN. Ugh.

Okay, done all of that. Clasko onboard the Airship, got the letter from Gippal... Another actual mission now! Time to protect Tobli's transport, yup-yup! Jobs and abilities are:
Yuna: Songstress - Estoeric Melody
Rikku: Warrior - Thunder Blade
Paine: Songstress - Esoteric Melody

...Ugh. This could be difficult.
First fight down, and I'm hoping all of the enemies in this area are physical-reliant. It took a fair while, but double Darkness Dance made the fight a joke.
...Next fight is against two Flan Azul. GAH. ...Which... promptly fell much quicker than I was expecting. Hunh. Hopefully, Rikku'll finish learning Thunder Blade soon, though, just to make things that much easier. ;o
Hunh. I have no idea how, but Yuna learnt Esoteric Melody where Paine didn't. Hrm. Anyways, on to Sleepy Shuffle. Next fight is the first Bandit one, and Paine learns Esoteric Melody now, starting on Samba of Silence next. Bandits having no attacks other than a basic physical makes them laughable. Aaand Rikku learns Thunder Blade in the last Bandit fight. Yay. Next up, Flametongue. Gun Mage get! Yay!
A few more encounter-less areas, and then I reach Macalania Woods.
Yuna: Gunner - Burst Shot
Rikku: Black Mage - Blizzara
Paine: Black Mage - Fira

Fira might help when I learn that one. Also, actually remembered to change accessories here for the first time since... before Mushroom Rock Road. >.>
..Ggh. Got through a fight against two Haizhe with ease, then ran into an Amorphous Gel. Had to run away before I got slaughtered by Fira spam. >.< ...Then beat a Haizhe and Red Elemental before having to run from a Xiphinactinus (or something like that.) Urk. Hard enemies are hard.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: November 22, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
Snow, for the Oz game, is Scarecrow really called "Strawman" or are you being facetious?

Thanks for the Oz writeups though, I'm still anxiously awaiting a chance to play the game, but reading about it has been fun. DL writeups coming? I'm curious to hear a bit more on what the main bosses are like, too.

Yes, he is.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: November 22, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »

I -am- being facetious, but he really is called Strawman. And I'm going to stat topic the game. Bosses are sorta unexciting, though, just a typical DQ8 boss mold, only with notably less AI suck and noticeably less in-game offense suck, because you don't have oceans of MT healing floating around in Oz and Oz bosses usually have solid buffs along with their 2HKOs.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:37:01 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: November 23, 2009, 01:39:52 AM »
Wild Arms of Phantasy Star (aka Phantasy Star 0):

Started.  Made a FOmarl nun named Sister Ciato.  Which ends up being weird, because attack magic blows in this game.  It never outdamages a basic physical, which you can execute faster and without MP.  And the elements you use don't seem to matter, because enemies don't appear to have weaknesses despite the game telling you they do.  On the flip side, healing is outstanding.  Full healing near-instantly with Resta, heal everyone nearby if I charge a bit.

The controls are bad also.  The only way to activate a Photon Blast is with L+R, so I can't do it since my L button is broken.  No menu option to change controls for this.  Also, the hotkeys are limited to Y, B, and A (and hold R to get 3 more hotkeys).  So there's only 6 total hotkeys, despite the X button being RIGHT THERE AND NOT USED FOR ANYTHING ELSE.  Also no easy way to rotate the camera.

Oh, and did I mention the first boss is freaking hard?  Talk about your steep learning curve, they really don't pull any punches there.  Nowhere to go but down for boss difficulty after that.

Gripes aside, the story is cute and attempts to give a storyline to humans/casts/neumen coexisting.  Poor Sarisa.  She gets groped by tentacles, has her bust size ridiculed by a robot, and has uncomfortable sexual tension with the main.  "Sister Ciato, why are you looking at me like that?"

Currently level 26, and I think I'm near the end of the human story mode.  My Rappy mag is level 76.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: November 23, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
Blue Dragon: Just beat the Hospital Ruins.

Ok, battle system is a bit generic, but at least its inoffensive about it.  So far game has yet to pull any stupid nonsense, fights are straight forward enough, enemies with gimmicks aren't moronic about them, and the game actually encourages the use of MP, while never making it feel like you're scraping for resources.  Again, like I said; it looks like a DQ game, but plays like an FF!

Actually, this game is very generous on MP; at class level 8 for Black Mage, you get an MP Stroll ability.  I saw this, and kind of just went "WANT NOW", cause while I've yet to run out of MP, lowering the chances in the future is never a bad thing!  Even if it does take a skill slot.

Job system is a simplified version of FF5's.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just comparing it to FF5 objectively.

Though, while I've only faced two, the boss fights of this game are pretty good.  They don't totally fail, and so far, they rely on gimmicks that actually ADD to the fight, rather than make it more annoying.  This backed up with fast paced boss music (that happens to be a vocal that sounds like its a reject from the Black Mages <_<) just gives you that Boss Fight kind of feel!  I like my boss fights feeling a little more epic and what not, and less "rar, big scary monster, behold this slow paced RAR I'M EVIL!!! boss theme now!" that so many games think is better at portraying a big fight.  Damn it, Boss fights are suppose to be FUN AND EXCITING!!! Not menacingly bland...)

Oh, and the "Monster Fight!" idea is hilarious.   Just the idea of fighting multiple enemies not normally paired together yielding results like "Oh! Little enemy, EAT NOW!!!" and thus, not only is the enemy side dyng, but the most competent enemy is wasting turns...yeah, fun stuff.  Heck, the Fire + Ice Dog one was amusing; BIG BRAWL!!! ...now they're both downgraded to a non-elemental weaker verison of themselves <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: November 23, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Ah Meeple playing Blue Dragon how fitting~

I call the exposition/white mage dude Meeple >_>

Persona 4- Frue finale. Is it just me or does the frue final dungeon seem bigger/longer than the others <_< I'm on floor six. Ran a Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko party again just to even out levels moar. Now I have both Yosuke and Chie on L82! Yosuke has two more speeds and the exact same strength value as Chie. Hnnn. No wonder they never gave him MT attack buffs or Power Charge! He has better magic and SP than Chie though while Chie has HP, endurance and teh luck (critical booms) Teddie's on L80 as is Yukiko~

Oh yeah I found a Rebirth Prophecy accessory for Souji and made my new Yoshitune. Ended up going with Revolution, Victory Cry and Debilitate for shinies. HT actually came round earlier this time or so it seemed to me. Actually having L10 Tower helped a bunch.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:20:26 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
Ah, Meeple is an Eternity hyper.  Yes.  Ian Gilliam for Godlike.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: November 23, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
WoO - Stat topic is up! Testing for this was like ten times faster than testing for EF.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: November 23, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »
Needs more bosses

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: November 23, 2009, 05:25:03 PM »
Meh, bosses.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: November 23, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »
YES BOSSES.  GET YOUR CUTE LITTLE ASS IN GEAR AND GET THEM.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:19 PM »
Eh, WAoO bosses are unexciting. Maybe I'll just replay MK2 instead because Tally-chu wants boss stats, and those are actually not boring.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: November 24, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
New computer = catching up on Telltale Games time. But I am slack and have only played through W&G: The Bogey Man so far.
Nice game for the last in the season, although the final puzzle ends up being considerably annoying because people in the background won't shut up.
Think I would order the games as Last Resort > Bogey Man > Muzzled >> Fright of the Bumblebees.

Also finished my SRWW replay, consequently completely disregarding the reason I started replaying it in the first place. Top kills as at the opening of the final chapter went to Kazuma, Duo, Quatre; I put the latter two down to the massive cash injection they got for being the first on the scene. Beat my previous playthrough turn count by 65 turns.

Got Nichol, Yzak, and Canard in terms of secrets I hadn't gotten previously. Yzak is some kind of cheater because he got BP-credit for the previous playthrough despite my not having gotten him in it. Nichol seems decent enough, although I'm unsure as to why you don't get Tolle as well since the conditions result in both of them surviving, and you have these skygraspers around that no-one is using... Barely got to use Canard so I cannot speak much about him.

I had been given horror stories about the changes to the final episode on replays but as it turns out they were horribly overstated. I seem to remember running out of resources on pretty much everyone in the previous playthrough and that only happened to a couple people this time around. Some of this is due to upgrades of course, but my upgrade strategy mitigates the possibility of that being the sole reason.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: November 25, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
Yzak is available on the first part of stage 54 if you do not recruit him, hence he will get BP for every single playthrough you make (and a high amount, at that) unlike secret-only characters like Nichol and Canard.

He will be the only PC who does not inherit upgrades from Valzacard at that point, which means if you've been upgrading the Originals but not Freedom (like I did), he will be inferior to a hilarious degree compared to every other PC available at that point.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5940 on: November 26, 2009, 04:34:28 AM »
I'm in a ranty mood today, be warned~

MK2 - Finished up classes in Chapter 7. Not much new to say. BUFFOPRESSOR was awesome as advertised, Flay's insanity never gets old ("I have kidnapped some of your classmates and stranded them on a mountain in a blizzard! Better go rescue them quickly if you want an A!"). The Kamil Rider or whatever the fuck he was in Chapter 7 (MK1 Chimera redux) was likely the hardest boss in the game so far and nearly killed me, most competent MK non-chapter boss ever? That caught me totally by surprise. Fun fight though, although as usual, fuck combat classes. (Okay game please give me another bad mid-battle tutorial and grade me on the first time I have ever used a mechanic, that makes sense. If I tried to test students on something I (badly) taught them 15 seconds previously I'd find myself out of work. Yes, MK school = PW law, but at least the latter doesn't make for annoyance.) The school simulator continues to be an unimpressive distraction but I guess complaining about that in a MK game is like complaining about cuteness and a nonsensical crime gang in Pokemon.

Barring the game totally screwing up the second and united paths (which it may) the game is going to end up slightly better than MK1, though, I think? Want to say the gameplay is overall better (earlier switching, better synthing, randoms which are at least a bit more competent, no stupid Day/Night issues), the trainwreck-style character stuff makes for much more fun than MK's anime tropes (and two of the three best characters from MK1 carry over). I like MK1's creativity with its lategame plot but don't think it's enough. MK2 seems headed for 7/10 territory.

Wait did I just get through an entire MK2 post without hyping Lily? Oops. Lily is awesome. CQ4 soon~

WA4 - In Wunderweltraum~ This game rules, but we already knew this. Not really doing much that is especially creative with this playthrough, the game is just a joy to play through regardless with its tight gameplay and quick-moving narrative.

Endless Frontier - I just beat the mermaid pirate captain and the Phantom. First fights against both if that makes a difference. EF really needs to be talked about in terms of gameplay and plot separately, so...

Gameplay: While I kinda dislike the fact that there's no in-battle party switching in this game (it intuitively feels designed for it), aside from that omission the gameplay has been improving. Enemies are nasty bastards. Hell, there was a random in the last dungeon who had near-OHKO damage. Gameplay is very engaging as you have to pay serious attention to your combos, and react to the different enemy weights. I mentioned this before but I am impressed by the game's challenge curve; it starts out giving you plenty of time to learn comboing without any real repercussions for screwing up but increasingly enemies are guarding or evading to make them actually matter, good stuff. On the one hand I do miss VP's ability to combo with multiple people (though EF gets a touch of this through the supports) but on the other hand the one-person comboing is just so much more engaging than VP's. The non-combo parts of the battle system are also reasonably interesting, spirit commands are always an interesting idea and do work well here, and I think the game handles free items better than BoF5 because of the inventory limit (and a non-annoying one, more akin to VP's than something pesky like BoF5's or FF2's) and because the better ones cost COM. COM in general also adds some depth; how much of your combo you use, chaining to get COM bonuses, item use, etc.

Is it "omg best gameplay ever"? Nah. The XS3-style turn order does the game no favours at all and as mentioned, I do think it would like some switching. But it's... probably an improvement on the VP style and that's something I've been wanting to see for a while.

Plot: Is abhorrent. I can't stress this enough. The game wishes it could begin to compare to G3 in quality. It's a run of immature, often sexist jokes, and the offensively fanservicy outfits and cutouts (which the majority of both PCs and bosses have) means there's no way in hell this is simply the fault of the translators. The serious plot behind it makes little sense and is uninteresting anyway, in true SRW style, so the window-dressing ends up that much more prominent in my mind. It's a crying shame. I understand that the SRW fanbase is by nature one of the most male out of all RPG fanbases (something about GIANT ROBOTS I guess) but this is a bad joke. At least it avoids pissing on religion and doesn't dismiss rape as trivial so it can slap lategame XS3 plot in a cripple fight, but graaaaaahhhhh. It's crap like this that keeps video games from being taken seriously by large segments of the public. How can you see EF and not be tempted to dismiss it as trash for hormonal teenage boys? There's a clever, creative combat system in there but to many viewers it'd simply be buried. At least ordinary bad plots like Grandia and Shining Force and SO2 and CC are, at the end of the day, inoffensive. Maybe it's the feminist in me but I can not in clear conscience ignore this. I apologise to the SRW fans who are probably going to feel that I am being too harsh on the game, but I do feel this rant is necessary.

I have no idea what rating the game will end up getting. Maybe the good and bad will cancel out and I'll get something around the middle? At least I definitely intend to continue playing it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: November 26, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »
Nobody sane defends EF plot. The only thing an SRW fan would get out of it that you wouldn't is the unnecessary tie-ins to OG2 that don't actually expand on its plot in any relevant way (and even if it did, SRW PLOT) and don't even try to take focus away from the aforementioned crude humor.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5942 on: November 26, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »
At least ordinary bad plots like Grandia and Shining Force and SO2 and CC are, at the end of the day, inoffensive.

Personally, I find those 'ordinary bad plots' to be what makes jRPG stories charming. Sure, it gets old to 'save the world', but at the end of the day, sometimes I like the cliches. It's probably why I continue to play these things. (Note: not including CC plot. CC plot can go diaf.)

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: November 26, 2009, 04:59:06 AM »
You should really play Djinn in Japan: The Book: The Game, then~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5944 on: November 26, 2009, 05:01:22 AM »
Is that a roundabout way of calling my statement cliche?

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: November 26, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »
Don't try to understand things Nitori says. It can only end in pain.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5946 on: November 26, 2009, 05:04:41 AM »
Personally I'm just surprised that Grandia III doesn't offend your feminist roots.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: November 26, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »
Why would it? I mean, any more than the average non-Suikoden jRPG (there is a certain low standard they adhere to).

Certainly it doesn't even begin to merit comparison with EF or AT in that regard.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: November 26, 2009, 05:39:57 AM »
I kept reading your rant and thinking "man, and the game even -freaking has KOS-MOS-".

EDIT: Also, I was wondering when would the horrors of SRW fanservice hit you head on. Sadly, the pandering is one of the most egregious things about the franchise and not only it's consistent throughout, it reaches rather unsettling new heights in EF. It hurts the writing in EF even further, to boot, as they just spend too much time making boob jokes and it gets painful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 05:47:05 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: November 26, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »
Personally I'm just surprised that Grandia III doesn't offend your feminist roots.

Because we have Xenosaga and Ar Tonelico.  Also any fucking H-Game ever.  Not to mention fighting games, action games, FPS games and Ar Tonelico.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.