Register

Author Topic: Politics 09: Fire Reid and Steele.  (Read 74612 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Politics 09: Fire Reid and Steele.
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »
I'm sure that if you total up over a lifetime, many preventatives tend to go over 3 figures. Granted, the cost of medical care isn't just the cost it takes to actually pay for the treatment, but also lost productivity/income (Which...can be quite big if your talking an operation or illness that can take months to recover from).
...into the nightfall.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 16, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Umm...no, no I didn't.

Seriously, I know to multiply by "occurs in 2% of the population".  Please don't insult my intelligence.

What I was questioning was not your point, but your numbers.  Let's stick with the "occurs in 2% of the population" number.  If cure costs 10x preventative as you suggest diabetes does, then yes, cure is 5x cheaper for the government; stick with cure for these maladies.  If cure costs 100x preventative, then cure is 2x more expensive for the government.  If cure costs 1000x preventative, then cure is 20x more expensive for the government.

Okay, so instead of missing the point you either willfully ignored or carelessly missed that the numbers I put up were for illustrative purposes to explain the general principle. Bravo. If you're questioning the general principle, then you could have simply asked "according to what research/what's your proof?" rather than trying to create your own, just as equally inapplicable, data set which just obfuscates everything.

Speaking of proof; you have yet to comment on the CBO assessment I linked to that supports my position and undermines yours. If you want to play with real numbers, here's your chance. CBO cites research that only 20% of preventive procedures save money, and that preventive costs in the field of cardiovascular disease are 10 times higher than their total savings. Would you like to cite some research that says otherwise?

So...grab the cases where preventative is 100x-1000x cheaper than cure.  Done.  Seems likely such cases exist since some operations hit seven figures, and the highest cost for preventative I've seen is 3 figures (and I have an endocrinologist who is hyper about preventative, so I've seen quite a lot of preventative figures).

Uh huh...and just how are you going to implement this? Do remember that you need to factor in patient lifestyle choices, cost of preventive care over life expectancy at the individual level, regional variations in pricing, regional variations in preventive care success rates, and patient choice in choosing doctors and preventive medical procedures...at the very least. To simply say "done" is more than just a bit naive and arrogant.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 16, 2009, 06:50:34 PM »
Sarcasm aside, Obama and the democrats are just as guilty of lying and spreading misinformation as Palin and the republicans are.

My main concern with this debate as concerns misinformation is the contention that the US health care system is one of the best in the world. This isn't a view held strictly by those on one party, but it is certainly put forward more often by those on the Republican side, and it's a view that is very damaging. The view itself is very easily shown to be utterly false: the US spends a very high percentage of its GDP on health care (I believe it's among the highest of all industrialised nations), yet in return for this gets a system that by almost all measuring sticks (life expectancy, infant mortality rate, citizen satisfaction, coverage of medical insurance, etc.) is poor by the standards of the developped world. As someone who has friends and family living in the US I find this alarming.

As such, though I'm not fully informed on the issues specific to US health care, I am very glad to see that the debate is being engaged in at a national level, rather than it being hidden behind a nationalistic "we're the best and don't need to change" facade by those in charge.

Out of curiosity, ID, since you reject so strongly the contention that preventive measures would save money, what measures would you propose to reduce US health care costs? It's clear that such measures should be possible.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 16, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
The people perpetrating this stuff are shit.  They're beneath dirt.

In today's shocking news, it is revealed that politicians lie and play to the fears of the general population.

I'm aware that politicians lie on a frequent basis, of course, but there are degrees.  Making a serious attempt to make people believe that people who support the healthcare reform want to put your grandmother or baby to death is beyond the pale.  I don't think I've ever seen a political lie so base.

As for the CBO assessment, I find the whole debate over it a bit myopic.  It mentions in passing but makes no serious attempt to figure out the monetary cost or benefit of people living longer and generally healthier lives as a result of preventative care.  Those are going to be big numbers, probably ones that overshadow the immediate costs or benefits.  The CBO also makes no attempt to calculate the costs or savings of gradual changes in things like obesity or smoking.  It specifically notes that the monetary benefit of, for example, a reduction in the number of smokers over time would be substantial, but would not be included in the type of monetary analysis they're doing here.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:12:59 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 16, 2009, 07:39:15 PM »
Okay, so instead of missing the point you either willfully ignored or carelessly missed that the numbers I put up were for illustrative purposes to explain the general principle. Bravo. If you're questioning the general principle, then you could have simply asked "according to what research/what's your proof?" rather than trying to create your own, just as equally inapplicable, data set which just obfuscates everything.

Before I address this, I'd like to present the argument as I have perceived it from another angle:

Take a look at this grade 4 math problem.

Jenny needs a lot of potatoes.  She can either buy 100 small bags of potatoes or 2 large bags of potatoes.  Large bags cost $100 and small bags cost $5, which should she buy?

We can turn this precisely into your example by changing "small bag of potatoes" to "prevention" and "large bag of potatoes" to "cure".  (Adding a couple percent signs and 0s where appropriate).  We can change it into my example by adding "what if the large bag cost 10 times more?  What if it cost 100 times more?"

------------

So...first you accused me, and a few others, of not understanding a fourth grade math problem.  Now you're accusing me of deliberate obfuscation because I suggested different numbers for the fourth grade math problem.

I'm not sure how to respond to this.  I guess I'll say...dude, quit whining.  It's fourth grade math.  The RPGDL is a site founded on a common interest in statistics.  If we disagree with your math, don't whine that we didn't understand it; we probably did.  If we throw alternative calculations back at you, don't accuse us of deliberate obfuscation; it's just math.

Speaking of proof; you have yet to comment on the CBO assessment I linked to that supports my position and undermines yours. If you want to play with real numbers, here's your chance. CBO cites research that only 20% of preventive procedures save money, and that preventive costs in the field of cardiovascular disease are 10 times higher than their total savings.

Okay, I read through the entire thing.  Comments:

1. There really isn't much evidence presented at all in that report.  There's the two numbers you presented and...that's basically it.  I didn't see a single $ symbol in the entire report showing "here are prevention costs, here are cure costs"; in other words no unprocessed data.  As for the statistic on "After reviewing hundreds of previous studies of preventive care, the authors report that slightly fewer than 20 percent of the services that were examined save money"...it doesn't detail at all what kind of preventative medicine was studied.  For example, were they looking at highly experimental preventative medicine like HIV vaccinations (which are still known to be not very effective)?  It's like saying "after examining a large pool of games, we found that only 10% qualified as RPGs according to the RPGDL"--doesn't really tell me anything unless I know what the "large pool of games" was.

2. He's very focused on "and many insurance plans already cover certain preventive services at little or no cost to enrollees. Consequently, a new government policy to encourage prevention could end up paying for preventive services that many individuals are already receiving— which would add to federal costs but not reduce total future spending on health care."  Ooookay, so...why not just offer government preventative services to people who show they don't have insurance coverage?  How is this different from billing emergency room visits for people with insurance but not for people who can't pay?

3. The author Nathan Deal is a Republican Congressman.  There's some expectation that a politician will spin numbers, picking favourable statistics to his argument (and it's not a secret that Republicans are trying to poke holes in this bill.  As they should--it's the job of the minority party to try and poke holes in the ruling party's propositions to make sure only quality stuff passes).

4.  All that being said, look at his conclusion: "However, government funding for some specific types of preventive care might lower total spending. In its estimates, CBO seeks to capture the likely future effects on the budget on a case-by-case basis."  Funny, that was exactly my conclusion and suggested policy as well.

Uh huh...and just how are you going to implement this? Do remember that you need to factor in patient lifestyle choices, cost of preventive care over life expectancy at the individual level, regional variations in pricing, regional variations in preventive care success rates, and patient choice in choosing doctors and preventive medical procedures...at the very least. To simply say "done" is more than just a bit naive and arrogant.

Yes, yes, the real world is more complicated than a grade 4 math problem.  Just like pendulum calculations in first year physics don't factor in the circular rather than parabolic arc of the pendulum, the Coriolis effect of the Earth's rotation, quantum mechanics, friction, nonuniformity of earth's gravitational field, or general relativity.  And obviously it costs a lot less to hire a couple of scientists to get a more precise estimation than it does to implement health care reform, so of course we should do so.  That said:

1. We can still make estimates, the same way a first-year physics student can still get some OK pendulum calculations.
2. The principle of "check if it costs less, done", is still the basic strategy for determining if a preventative measure will save money.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 07:40:46 PM by metroid composite »

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 16, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
My main concern with this debate as concerns misinformation is the contention that the US health care system is one of the best in the world.

There are basically two arguments here, both of which have merit.

First. The United States does have the best health care quality. This should be undisputed. Our treatments have the highest success rates in the world, and people who are treated for heart attacks, cancer, etc...in the United States live longer than those treated elsewhere.

Second. On the flipside, the United States does not have the best coverage, meaning not everyone can take advantage of the premium health services that can be found in the US.

So in other words, if you have health coverage, you receive the best care in the world, if you don't have health coverage you're SOL.

yet in return for this gets a system that by almost all measuring sticks (life expectancy, infant mortality rate, citizen satisfaction, coverage of medical insurance, etc.) is poor by the standards of the developped world.

Another problem is that many of those measuring sticks are tangentially related to health care at best. Take life expectancy. More than just health care factors into life expectancy, including number of accidental deaths per year, number of homicides per year, the lifestyle choices of the average citizen (e.g., morbid obesity rate in the US), among others. Additionally, to call the standards "poor", is a bit of a misnomer. The difference between the privatized insurance system of the US (ranked 30th at 78.07 years) and the NHS of Great Britain (Ranked 26th at 78.7) is barely more than half a year.

Out of curiosity, ID, since you reject so strongly the contention that preventive measures would save money, what measures would you propose to reduce US health care costs? It's clear that such measures should be possible.

I'll preface this by stating that my ideas would step on everyone's toes and be politically impossible to implement, absent a miracle.

I'd start by removing the tax code provisions that create the employer provided health care incentive. While it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, our current situation shows it wasn't. Right now, prices are high in part because there is very little need for competition. Consumers have been detached from the services they are buying, while their employers are making the choices for them. To quote the economist Milton Friedman, "people are least careful about their money when they are using someone else's money on someone else." That is, employers aren't going to be all that frugal about selecting the plans for their employees. Oh, and just to nip this in the bud, just because you are getting health care from your employer doesn't mean that its not your money the employer is spending, because you received a reduced salary in return for that health care coverage (and the employer is happy with this because he gets a bigger tax deduction for paying health care instead of paying standard salary).

This employer based insurance also has the disadvantage of creating over-regulation, which also drives up costs. For plans to qualify, they must have certain coverages and cover certain people, even if some employees would rather not have certain types of coverage (all this additional coverage adds to costs, even if the employees don't want the added benefits).

Basically, I'd return health insurance to a true free-market state, like every other insurance type, and prices are guaranteed to go down. Of course, insurance companies wouldn't like this because they'd have to cut prices to remain competitive (and this is why Republicans will stick with do-nothing plans).

Second, as Super mentioned earlier, you need to discourage overuse of hospital emergency rooms. Allowing access to low cost health clinics for low income families could help. Similarly, raising health awareness might help, though as I said earlier, people are notoriously difficult to change so you'll quickly run into diminishing returns if you try to put to much money into such programs.

There are also miscellaneous steps that could be taken, such as reigning in the costs to the hospitals and doctors have to pay (such as malpractice insurance).

If we disagree with your math, don't whine that we didn't understand it; we probably did.  If we throw alternative calculations back at you, don't accuse us of deliberate obfuscation; it's just math.

Except it adds nothing to the discussion at hand, so why bother bringing it up in the first place? Again, the purpose of the math was to ILLUSTRATE how the general principle works. Attacking the math itself is ass backwards and sloppy.

There really isn't much evidence presented at all in that report.

So...you have more to offer? The specific research studies are fully cited in the assessment. Thus, you have the information to look the raw data up yourself if you so desire. The purpose of the assessment is to summarize the findings of research, not to rehash all of the research projects in their entirety.

The author Nathan Deal is a Republican Congressman.

Dot. Dot. Dot.

The letter is addressed to Nathan Deal, the author is Douglas Elmendorf.

All that being said, look at his conclusion: "However, government funding for some specific types of preventive care might lower total spending. In its estimates, CBO seeks to capture the likely future effects on the budget on a case-by-case basis."  Funny, that was exactly my conclusion and suggested policy as well.

One, there's a keyword there: "might." Might does not mean definitively. Especially when the specifics of such a program are, at this point, totally non-existent.

Two, the CBO makes no policy recommendation at all; it states the effects of a policy. A case-by-case preventive care policy MIGHT save money, but we don't know with certainty because no such policy was put before the CBO for analysis.

Three, you missed this part:

"In sum, expanded governmental support for preventive medical care would probably improve people’s health but would not generally reduce total spending
on health care."

and how it relates to my original assertion that politicians who claim that preventive care is a magic bullet are lying.

1. We can still make estimates, the same way a first-year physics student can still get some OK pendulum calculations.
2. The principle of "check if it costs less, done", is still the basic strategy for determining if a preventative measure will save money.

So...you still don't have any plan of implementation other than extremely broad generalizations. How are you going to implement the "check if it costs less, done" paradigm? What methods of valuation are you going to apply? Again, to say its as simple as "done" is naive.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:37:10 PM by InfinityDragon »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 17, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »
Second, as Super mentioned earlier, you need to discourage overuse of hospital emergency rooms. Allowing access to low cost health clinics for low income families could help. Similarly, raising health awareness might help, though as I said earlier, people are notoriously difficult to change so you'll quickly run into diminishing returns if you try to put to much money into such programs.

It's most likely more effective to expand government insurance for the working poor. An effective breaking up of health care monpolies would take care of it for for the middle class and small business owners. You're looking an expansion of government provided care either way.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NjU5Y2NiNzBjM2ViMzAwYWI2NjAwZWU4ZjRkOTc5NWM=

It's NR, but they do a good job outlining some of the problems funding health care.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2009, 07:26:19 AM »
First of all, your take on what the US could do to improve its health care was an interesting read, so thanks for posting it.

First. The United States does have the best health care quality. This should be undisputed. Our treatments have the highest success rates in the world, and people who are treated for heart attacks, cancer, etc...in the United States live longer than those treated elsewhere.

While it wouldn't shock me if this were true, this doesn't seem like the aim of a country, and certainly what wasn't I was getting at. The goal of any nation should be to ensure the best health care not to a small subset of the population, but to ensure the best health care for all citizens on average (and it's nearly impossible to excel at this when you exclude as many citizens from health coverage as the US does).

Or, to use an analogy, it's like trying to have a low crime rate as a country. Saying "the best health care is available for those who can afford it" is like saying "we have the lowest crime rates on Earth, as long as you live in New Hampshire". Good for New Hampshirites/the wealthy, but doesn't really say that much about your country as a whole.

To use a less abstract analogy, let's say there is someone you care for, and he or she breaks an arm, or is diagnosed with diabetes. There's a catch, though. This person could be from any level of income, chosen randomly. You won't know what level until you answer the following question: Ignoring all other factors besides health care, what country do you hope this person lives in?

Certainly isn't the US for me.

Take life expectancy. More than just health care factors into life expectancy, including number of accidental deaths per year, number of homicides per year, the lifestyle choices of the average citizen (e.g., morbid obesity rate in the US), among others.

I'm assuming that homicides have a fairly negligible effect on life expectancy as a whole given their rarity and, also, relatively small variance in rate among developped nations (much higher in developping nations though... wow. Didn't realise how large the spike was there). Accidental deaths I am again going to assume is negligible across borders.

Lifestyle, though, is to some extent a reflection of health care. You mention the US' high obesity rate. It's worth noting that this rate is highest in low socioeconomic brackets... aka the same people who are less likely to regularly visit a doctor (because they can't afford to). Giving people education and access to resources that help them overcome unhealthy lifestyles is something doctors definitely do, and something that has been definitely shown to help. So yeah, in this case lifestyle is a valid reflection of poorer health care. (It need not be the only factor, but it is a factor.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »
While it wouldn't shock me if this were true, this doesn't seem like the aim of a country, and certainly what wasn't I was getting at.

It's just a matter of definitions. People who claim that the US has the best quality of health care, and base their definition of quality health care on the quality of services rendered, are correct. Likewise, people who criticize the current system and define quality of health care as the benefit society as a whole derives from the health care system are also correct.

If you assign personal preference to one definition over another, that's fine, but it doesn't make the opposing definition incorrect, it simply means you value the net benefit of the preferred definition more.

I'm assuming that homicides have a fairly negligible effect on life expectancy as a whole given their rarity and, also, relatively small variance in rate among developped nations (much higher in developping nations though... wow. Didn't realise how large the spike was there). Accidental deaths I am again going to assume is negligible across borders.

Those aren't the only two forms of "premature death," for lack of a better term. If you take every form of premature death and aggregate the total, its going to have a non-negligible impact on life expectancy. Do keep in mind that accidental deaths would include traffic accident (~40,000 deaths per year certainly isn't a small chunk) and construction/mining/manufacturing accident fatalities.

Lifestyle, though, is to some extent a reflection of health care. You mention the US' high obesity rate. It's worth noting that this rate is highest in low socioeconomic brackets... aka the same people who are less likely to regularly visit a doctor (because they can't afford to).

True, but at some point personal responsibility kicks in. If someone has been given the opportunity to learn and develop healthy habits and declines the opportunity, I would not consider the resulting premature death as being indicative of poor health care quality but of poor personal choices made by the individual.

Also, the relationship between obesity and socioeconomic status is for the most part spurious. The more accurate relationship is between obesity and education level (which in turn gives us the correlation between obesity and socioeconomic status, since most poor people are also less educated). People who are highly educated but work in low income public jobs still tend to be in far better shape than average. If somebody drops out of high school and misses out on learning the skills needed to make wise personal choices, then I consider this a fault of personal responsibility more than anything else (except, perhaps, poor parenting) and not something that health care should be concerned with.

Part of education is developing common sense and critical thinking skills, which are important in making critical decisions about personal health habits. Another problem in low education areas is poor parenting, which leads to the development of poor health and eating habits in children.

Giving people education and access to resources that help them overcome unhealthy lifestyles is something doctors definitely do, and something that has been definitely shown to help.

The problem is that educational programs have met only mixed success. Giving people access to health information, such as calorie counts on menus, does have a positive effect. Programs that actually try to motivate the personal to change their lifestyle once bad habits have been formed aren't nearly as cost effective.

If I were to reform health care from the education side, I'd first try to make as much information public as possible. This would be cost-effective and beneficial. Second, I'd want to develop good health habits in people at a young age, which unfortunately, means taking the matter out of the hands of irresponsible parents as much as possible. This means making health education and physical fitness a much more prominent facet of secondary school, along with actual reinforcement by providing school meals that are actually healthy. All fairly cheap and cost effective measures.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »
The problem is that not everyone will benefit from preventive care because not everyone will have suffered a stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc.

Preventive care is not limited to cardiovascular disease, and even if it was cardiovascular disease is the biggest slice of the health risk pie.  People generally benefit from having better general health.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »
Hm, haven't had a chance to catch up with the debate in a couple of days, so I'll stick to more recent posts rather than derail to earlier arguments.

Those aren't the only two forms of "premature death," for lack of a better term. If you take every form of premature death and aggregate the total, its going to have a non-negligible impact on life expectancy. Do keep in mind that accidental deaths would include traffic accident (~40,000 deaths per year certainly isn't a small chunk) and construction/mining/manufacturing accident fatalities.

Work-related fatalities...the data I've found is Texas:
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/news/2008/news2008150.html

Assuming that the percentage of accidental deaths in Texas is roughly mirrored in the rest of the country, we're looking at about 6,000 deaths per year.

Murder...
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

About 17,000 deaths per year.

Accidental deaths (seems to cover motorist accidents, but also stuff like medication overdose--which arguably is related to health care if doctors are perscribing more medications but...*shrug*)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19080118/

About 113,000 deaths per year.

Okay, so in total about 130,000.  But here's the thing--reading that article it sounds like accidental deaths don't necessarily imply premature deaths.  Many of the deaths are senior citizens falling.  It notes that the rise in motorcycle death seems to come from more elderly people riding motorcycles.

What might give us a more accurate estimate...the rate of death by age is well-documented.
http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~ramsey/Life.html

If we look at, say, 25-year-olds, most of them are probably not dieing of disease (although leukemia happens) and they're too old to be really under their parent's thumb (the death rate for 10-year-olds is comically low by comparison).  But they certainly are old enough to have dangerous work, if they're going to go into that kind of work.  (Even if they get a military scholarship for university, 25 puts them out of university and into the service).  Right, so overall about 0.1% premature non-medical death rate per year.

Throw that into a spreadsheet, assume everyone would otherwise live to be 80, and we get a life expectancy of...77.

To avoid cherrypicking data, my default is usually to compare the US to Canada.  Canada's life expectancy is 81 to America's 78.  Canada's accidental death rate would have to be damn near zero for that gap to be explained by premature AD alone.  It's probably not, but let's check...

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/84f0211x/2005000/4068027-eng.htm

Okay, so Canada's premature accidental death rate is about half that of America (which is to say, premature accidentals only count for 1.5 years of the 3 year gap).  Socioeconomic arguments can be made, of course, but Americans do make more money than Canadians on average (by like...20% was it?) so such arguments would have to focus on the wide distribution of wealth in America.

This gets kinda messy though--"American poor have it worse than Canadian poor" sounds correct...but part of that quality of life gap is that Canadian poor have good health care coverage.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 07:45:56 AM by metroid composite »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2009, 09:40:55 PM »
For a little levity regarding the health care, here's Barney Frank's town hall meeting.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2009/08/frank_turns_tab.html

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 19, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »
For a little levity regarding the health care, here's Barney Frank's town hall meeting.

As much as I hate most of Frank's policies, I have to admit I like his style of insult. Much more clever than Pelosi's and Reid's unimaginative, bland, and overused "zomg u r teh un-american" crap.

Maybe if he focused on and stuck to advocating one thing (say...gay rights, where he can put in personal perspective?) instead of trying to defend his miserable economic stances, he'd be more worthy of respect!

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 19, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
He's also one of the few congressmen (possibly the only one) actively pushing to repeal that moronic online poker ban.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 19, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »
That plus legalizing marijuana.  Though thanks to the economic crisis that has a few extra backers out in California.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:34:00 PM by NotMiki »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »
Elf: ID and you both had valid points there, and I don't think most people will argue that something needs to be changed. But if we can alter the insurance system with reasonable reforms and expand coverage for the working poor, that should be tried first. You get one of the bigger sources of uninsured (Small business owners/workers, who can't buy reasonably priced insurance thanks to the current employer based system) and expanding medicare makes sense. You aren't likely to make insurance coverage universal (The biggest gap is kids just out of college or living at home, working part time), but it's a massive improvement and doesn't require Meeplina level deficit spending.

I think this was mentioned by.. bloody hell, someone either in this topic or chatting in  IM, but: It costs 100 dollars to walk into the doctor's office where I'm at now without insurance. That's not only not reasonable, it's also a regressive billing. That can burn.

Re the spending:

According to the IRS, this fiscal year’s individual income-tax revenues are down 20.5 percent. Corporate tax revenues are off a stunning 58 percent. Through last month, FY 2009 tax receipts fell $354.2 billion versus 2008’s comparable period. In the August 17 Fortune magazine’s cover story, Allan Sloan reports that the $87 billion in Social Security taxes that last year were predicted to reach Washington in 2009 now equal just $19 billion.

One of the many reasons I don't have any faith in congress's brilliant plan to just try to generate the money for health care by doing income taxes for the wealthest 1%.  Edit: I should try to read more about the full methods of paying for it.  But good lord, congress.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:09:13 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2009, 10:42:59 PM »

As much as I hate most of Frank's policies, I have to admit I like his style of insult. Much more clever than Pelosi's and Reid's unimaginative, bland, and overused "zomg u r teh un-american" crap.

Maybe if he focused on and stuck to advocating one thing (say...gay rights, where he can put in personal perspective?) instead of trying to defend his miserable economic stances, he'd be more worthy of respect!

Pelosi from what I've seen is completely terrible.  Never seen anything good out of her, despite her representing San Francisco (so I've written to her a few times).  It's to the point that if there's a grassroots effort to get her voted out, I'd seriously consider participating.  This is in stark contrast to my senator Barbara Boxer, who kicks ass.

Barney Frank I don't like, to be honest.  He's openly gay...but ONLY because somebody outed him.  He's been a leading proponent of the Employment Nondiscrimination Act, but only after he was outed as gay.  And when ENDA got opposition, he said, "Hey, I'm willing to bargain.  We don't need every part of LGBT--why don't we remove some of the parts of that acronym that don't apply to me?"  (Thankfully the LGBT community stood together on this and told him to fuck off).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:49:44 PM by metroid composite »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »
Funny that California can't produce more suave, charismatic politicians.  I mean, who represents Hollywood?

(and this is a FLATTERING picture, mind.)

Also, met, what the hell are you talking about with Barney Frank?  He voluntarily disclosed his homosexuality in 1987.  If you're saying he did so because he knew he would be outed...there were two years between that and the admission of a sex scandal.  And the ENDA didn't even exist back then.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:44:05 AM by NotMiki »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »
Also, met, what the hell are you talking about with Barney Frank?  He voluntarily disclosed his homosexuality in 1987.  If you're saying he did so because he knew he would be outed...there were two years between that and the admission of a sex scandal.  And the ENDA didn't even exist back then.

I'll have to check with Allie (the person I heard this from) but she really seems to know her stuff politically, so hopefully she'll be able to point me at some sources.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 21, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
Pelosi from what I've seen is completely terrible.  Never seen anything good out of her, despite her representing San Francisco (so I've written to her a few times).  It's to the point that if there's a grassroots effort to get her voted out, I'd seriously consider participating.  This is in stark contrast to my senator Barbara Boxer, who kicks ass.

Barney Frank I don't like, to be honest.  He's openly gay...but ONLY because somebody outed him.  He's been a leading proponent of the Employment Nondiscrimination Act, but only after he was outed as gay.  And when ENDA got opposition, he said, "Hey, I'm willing to bargain.  We don't need every part of LGBT--why don't we remove some of the parts of that acronym that don't apply to me?"  (Thankfully the LGBT community stood together on this and told him to fuck off).

Pelosi, unlike Boxer, is in the leadership, so she also must speak for all Democrats and has pragmatism be a way higher priority.  In a very real sense she represents the USA as a whole as well.  This is probably the reason; Pelosi is pretty far left for Speaker, she's already pushing the limits.  Of course, "left as possible for Speaker" is still right of San Francisco.  I can almost guarantee you that she's softballing some issues so that John Barrow in Georgia doesn't have to explain why he totally doesn't agree with the Speaker on the following quotes.  And make no mistake, having a Democratic majority is very good for the cause of LGBT rights.

As for Frank, I think you're being unfair, but EDIT: Okay, checked with a friend on that, and she said that Frank did in fact say some cruddy things on that though she can't remember what?  Eh.  Will drop the issue, but I think that Frank's sincerity to the cause of LGBT rights can safely be assumed, and I don't see any problem with acknowledging the pragmatic need to compromise at times.  But won't make a big deal if Frank did in fact say some stupid thigns on the issue.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:19:56 AM by SnowFire »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2009, 04:08:09 AM »
This all begs the question: should homosexuals and transgender individuals be lumped together in bills and laws because they share a primary advocate in the LGBT community?  Both groups would benefit from protection from discrimination, but that's where their similarities end.  Obviously it's not surprising there's overlap in the two groups, but sex and sexual orientation are not the same issue, and it doesn't seem particularly beneficial to me that they tend to go hand in hand.

On a more personal level, regarding the LGBT community, I wonder about pride, gay pride, Irish pride, black pride, white pride, whatever.  Pride, it seems to me, is a crutch of the oppressed.  It's a great thing to have when you want to band together, show your defiance and strength, and build a political base, but it's an impediment to normalcy (in the sense of broad, unhesitating acceptance).  Maybe...time to upgrade to a footcast?

As for Frank, he was willing to drop transgender rights to benefit gay rights.  That may have been beneficial for both in the long run, and then again, maybe not.  If you want to be angry about it, don't let me stop you.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 04:13:38 AM by NotMiki »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 21, 2009, 06:19:17 AM »
Pelosi, unlike Boxer, is in the leadership, so she also must speak for all Democrats and has pragmatism be a way higher priority.

I'm not even really talking about her policies; sure, I've disagreed with her once or twice on those.  Just...whenever I've heard her speak, my reaction has been pretty consistently *facepalm*.  She seriously seems to lack tact and respect, especially when dealing with dissenting viewpoints.  Granted, maybe I've only been linked to her bad stuff.  Still, if what I've seen is indicative, this really seems like a bad trait for speaker of the house--you don't want the speaker spitting vitriol at the opposition.

This all begs the question: should homosexuals and transgender individuals be lumped together in bills and laws because they share a primary advocate in the LGBT community?  Both groups would benefit from protection from discrimination, but that's where their similarities end.  Obviously it's not surprising there's overlap in the two groups, but sex and sexual orientation are not the same issue, and it doesn't seem particularly beneficial to me that they tend to go hand in hand.

They really do go hand-in-hand, though.

One of the big reasons there was an outcry even among gay and lesbians about the updated bill is that a lot of them could still be fired.  For instance, IIRC a fairly high ranking prosecutor who was a butch lesbian noted that she could legally be fired for not dressing feminine enough.  Conversely, a gay guy wearing hotpants, a pink top, and talking in a fabulous voice could similarly be fired for not acting and dressing manly enough.  Basically, the partial bill would allow you to be gay, but not act like it.

Conversely with trans, most people either qualify as homosexual before transition, or homosexual after transition.  Yes, there are cases of people whose sexual orientation changes during transition making them straight before and straight after; to change all the way from one extreme to the other extreme is rare, however.

On a more personal level, regarding the LGBT community, I wonder about pride, gay pride, Irish pride, black pride, white pride, whatever.  Pride, it seems to me, is a crutch of the oppressed.  It's a great thing to have when you want to band together, show your defiance and strength, and build a political base, but it's an impediment to normalcy (in the sense of broad, unhesitating acceptance).  Maybe...time to upgrade to a footcast?

You might be right about Pride being outdated.  It was very necessary, though.  I know too many people who are comfortable with who they are and who they're attracted to...and then get into sexual relationships with someone who feels guilty about even having sex with them.  From the perspective of the well-adjusted person, this is makes for a really crappy relationship.  It's probably even worse for the person who feels guilty about it--they keep having these urges, but they feel bad every time they do.

So yes, the concept of "be proud of who you are" is something that everyone should have.  Same with "don't feel like you need to hide who you are."  Are we there yet?  Do we no longer need pride events?  My honest opinion is: no, we still need them.  Even in SF there are people who need to stop feeling so damn guilty.

As for Frank, he was willing to drop transgender rights to benefit gay rights.  That may have been beneficial for both in the long run, and then again, maybe not.  If you want to be angry about it, don't let me stop you.

Gay marriage would help trans rights.  Gay non employment discrimination (but explicitly still trans employment discrimination) pretty much doesn't.  Employers just need a route for legal dismissal--as long as you leave one of the two routes open, everyone who is "a little of both" (quite common) can still be legally fired, as well as anyone on the route that you're cutting (so...100% of trans can still be legally fired, and maybe 30% of gay).

The other thing is just looking at the history of such bills, several states passed both at the same time.  States that didn't, but said "we'll pass a second bill soon" usually just didn't, even over a 10 year period (Wisconsin being the ridiculous one--27 years and counting.  Most of the Northeast states are in the 10ish years and counting).  Passing of a non-inclusive ENDA then, if history is any indication, would arguably hurt the half you leave out, since it would greatly decrease the likelihood of passing an inclusive bill any time in the next 10 years.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:23:45 AM by metroid composite »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 21, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
One of the big reasons there was an outcry even among gay and lesbians about the updated bill is that a lot of them could still be fired.  For instance, IIRC a fairly high ranking prosecutor who was a butch lesbian noted that she could legally be fired for not dressing feminine enough.  Conversely, a gay guy wearing hotpants, a pink top, and talking in a fabulous voice could similarly be fired for not acting and dressing manly enough.  Basically, the partial bill would allow you to be gay, but not act like it.

Dressing like a flamer is not. intrinsic. to. homosexuality.  It sure as hell isn't something that needs legal protections.  If I wore hotpants to work and got fired I would have no recourse, because they violate the dresscode, for both men and women!  This isn't 'dresscode violation' as code for 'discrimination against transsexuals.'  This is 'dresscode violation' as code for 'you can't wear hotpants in the office no matter what.'  It's a simple matter of professionalism.  I'm not unsympathetic to transgender individuals with clinical needs dressing as one gender or the other, but that's a separate issue from this.  Anything less than a clinical need falls under the category of mere personal preference.

This is my big beef with the LGBT movement: they define homosexuality as they are, not as it is.  Demanding protections for flashy dressers is no different than harassing an African American who gets good grades for not being black enough.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #473 on: August 21, 2009, 08:25:36 AM »
I can't help but feel you're missing the forest for the trees there.  While there's sound arguments for requiring dress codes in terms of the formality/professionalism of dress, this doesn't excuse said rules requiring differing standards between men and women, which whether by culture, lifestyle, or psychological need are more likely to eliminate LGBT individuals.  It's essentially leaving in an avenue of attack over a frivelous issue; yes, perhaps a courtroom benefits from a certain level of professionalism, including in the dress code, but defining said dress code along gender lines is ultimately no longer fitting.

Of course, you could really make a larger case on just how often any dress code more strict than "have x amount of clothing on" is truly relevant to job performance, but that's another discussion at the tip of a long and deadly iceburg of needless, soul-crushing enforced conformity.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 21, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
Dress code for professionalism isn't about your job performance, it is about so much more than that.  It would be a stupid argument to make any argument regarding it to purely based on job performance.  Most places have a dress code for a reason.  This dress code can also be focused towards gender specifics depending on what the role is.

I think the argument would be better made about how stupid it is to fire over dress code violation for say a single incident of hot pants.  You talk to your employee and let them know how and why that is not acceptable in the workplace.  If someone isn't prepared to wear something other than the hot pants then they don't want to work at that place just the same as say someone that refuses to dress up more than Business Casual.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.