Author Topic: MMOs  (Read 9794 times)

Hyper Inferno

• Denizen
    • View Profile
MMOs
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »
So what kind of MMOs do people here play? I recently started playing SMT: Imagine, which is a pretty cool (free!) MMO set in the SMT world. It hit open beta recently, so you can download it quite easily.

http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

I also play a little bit of Phantasy Star Online, through a special server. Never really played it online back on the GCN (no modem), but on the PC, I finally get to use those darn Photon Drops!

No World of Warcraft for me though. Could never bring myself to that pay to play system.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: MMOs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:45 AM »
I used to be really into MapleStory. Played it for two and a half years on Windia. Ended as a 129 Marksman. Mirage/Hubris/Leviathan guild (we changed names every year) the whole time. Was also in the top Zakum running/Horntail group on the server (hefferheffer's runs). Damage topped out at 11k per Strafe arrow (44k damage total) with Sharp Eyes and a Warrior Pot. ON JR. NEWTIES. Booya. I've topped 30k on a crit with Pierce on the last enemy. Guild imploded around October last year, so I haven't been back.

Currently playing Perfect World at the bequest of Laggy. Having a great time. Fun world to explore. 43 Archer atm. Much different than Maple, but just as fun.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:41:06 AM »
Several people here play Billy vs Snakeman.  Not a true MMO, it's a browser game with very little player-to-player interaction.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »
Several of us play WoW. I've been playing since it came out, in fact.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »
Yeah, a bunch of us are playing Perfect World right now. I tried the SMT:I MMO, but I just didn't like it. Although now having played a deal of DDS, maybe I might give it another go. Also, used to play PSO on my PC as well. Is in the original, or is it Universe? You said it was a special server? I used to play on one known as SCHThack, I believe. May be spelled wrong though, but it was for PSO:Blue Burst. It was fun.

I dunno, MMO's never really have been my thing. I've tried a few, but I find I get bored of them quickly. Maybe it's because I'm usually to shy to try and party up other peeps or trying to befriend peeps in the game?. I dunno. Perfect World still is fun for me though, so give it a go :)

List of MMO's I have tried:
Maple Story
WoW (Private Server only)
Ragnarok Online (Again, Private Server only)
SMT:I
PSO:BB
9Dragons
2Moons
Perfect World
Many different Player World's games (LAWL)
Grail
Risk Your Life (Open Beta)
Rose (Open Beta)

And probably many, many more that I don't remember :P

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »
I play Kingdom of Loathing.  It's not a proper MMO, and really the only character-to-character interaction comes through trade and clans, but fuck you.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Closest thing I've played to an MMO is some pure-text thing where you got to pick three fights per day against other users, but everything was automated.  It was run through some GameFAQs board (possibly Board 8?)  The goal was to end up the highest-level character at the end of the 2-3 week period (my character titled "Weakling Mage" was either first or second I think?  Someone got higher than me, but there was some question of whether he'd fought an extra battle on the final day).

Though, personally MMOs aren't really my style for a few reasons:
1. I'm not a fan of enforced grinding.  Granted, it's not like I never grind for fun--I've done it in...three or so games when I wanted to see the game from a different angle, but it's not -usually- my idea of fun.
2. In a PvP setting, I don't like the idea of handicapping inexperienced players; if anything it should be the other way around.  I'll make an exception for that silly user tournament I mentioned above, where fights were entirely automated so the actual strategy became "do I fight someone higher level for a bigger exp bonus, or someone lower level for a guaranteed exp boost".  However when I actually enjoy the fights themselves, I'd prefer to have a level playing field.
3. I'm afraid of the timesink.  Not an issue with every MMO, granted, but I look at some of my coworkers who play 40 hours of WoW a week, and just have stopped playing all other games (to the point that they'll get a new system at launch, and then not even take it out of the box for months).
4. Some MMOs aren't exactly known for their maturity level; it's the internet--homophobia happens.  Granted, I post on message boards, but I've already spent time finding intelligent message boards >_>.

Nothing wrong with the genre, really, just...not my cup of tea at this time.  (Who knows?  My taste in genres seems to shift every three years or so).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:42:46 AM »
Closest thing I've played to an MMO is some pure-text thing where you got to pick three fights per day against other users, but everything was automated.  It was run through some GameFAQs board (possibly Board 8?)  The goal was to end up the highest-level character at the end of the 2-3 week period (my character titled "Weakling Mage" was either first or second I think?  Someone got higher than me, but there was some question of whether he'd fought an extra battle on the final day).

Just for reference (for everyone) these things used to be called "Door games", here is the wiki on it.  Figured I would mention it since I only found out they had an actual name from their origin recently >_>

2. In a PvP setting, I don't like the idea of handicapping inexperienced players; if anything it should be the other way around.  I'll make an exception for that silly user tournament I mentioned above, where fights were entirely automated so the actual strategy became "do I fight someone higher level for a bigger exp bonus, or someone lower level for a guaranteed exp boost".  However when I actually enjoy the fights themselves, I'd prefer to have a level playing field.

Agreed, PVP is pretty much always horrible in MMOs.  They are bigger epeen factories than the PVE scene even is and epeen is generally what keeps MMOs running, so you have a circular thing happening that leads to incredibly high demands on getting design and implementation perfect in an inherently unbalanced system.

3. I'm afraid of the timesink.  Not an issue with every MMO, granted, but I look at some of my coworkers who play 40 hours of WoW a week, and just have stopped playing all other games (to the point that they'll get a new system at launch, and then not even take it out of the box for months).
  All MMOs have the time sink.  WoW is one of the lowest ones, it is seriously fucked up and something wrong with the genre.  WoW HAS gotten better at it.  It is a huge investment to get to the level cap in the new expansion, but once you are there and have yourself established there is thankfully much less demands on your time.  Step in the right direction, but it is still pretty bad.

Nothing wrong with the genre, really, just...not my cup of tea at this time.  (Who knows?  My taste in genres seems to shift every three years or so).

The genre is completely fucked and turns most good design principles on its head.  It is pretty bad.

I play WoW and have finally managed to get out of it a little with the release of the expansion because of some of the time sink removal.  I don't feel the need to have 3 characters just to be relatively self sufficient for my main character so I can just play the one and don't get caught into the trap that is alts.  I really like where they have gone with some things in the game and it certainly got me interested in the meta balance things that come with the game, but it is still not a game I reccomend.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:10:20 AM »
Yeah, now that I'm at level 80, I only need about four hours a week to progress. I play a bit more to farm up resources and money, as I need scratch to play the auction house.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:31:15 AM »
I played Maple Story for a while during the beta. Couldn't really get back into it after the actual servers started, though.
Been playing Necromium every now and then for ages now (Since 1998, I think?). It discontinued updating a while back though. My plan is to somehow reach Avatar before I die or it closes down, whichever is first.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 12:14:08 PM »
I played SMT Imagine on the Japanese servers for over a year, nearly two. Ended up as Chaotic L77 magician build, with demons Decarabia, Skadi and uhh someone else I don't remember. I also played Phantasy Star Online on schthack, had a L180~ish dude, forget if it was FOnewearl or something.

Recently, I got back into RO at the request of a friend, playing on a very new private server. So far the community has been quite nice to me, given that most of the people on said server knew each other from old servers and I came from Japanese/Chinese/obscure English private servers. So it's quite nice so far.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 12:17:31 PM by TranceHime »
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 01:53:47 AM »
Random shot I took of (most) of the DL Perfect World group.

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090109173702qq7.png

All present except for Laggy and Ashe. jenny is someone Laggy and I know that tagged along.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:30 AM »
seeing you guys playing pw makes me want to play again, i have no mmo atm. D:

mmo's i played for quite some time:
- ragnarok online (mainly iro loki and iro sakray, plus a bazillion private servers)
- lineage 2
- archlord
- city of heroes
- rappelz
- granado espada
- perfect world (malaysian servers)
- atlantica online

briefly played mmo's:
- trickster
- smt:imagine
- warcrack
- luna online

logged on for like 2-3 days then went "..."
- rose
- flyff
- last chaos
- 2moons
- shaiya
- runes of magic
- druaga: recovery of babylim

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/3047/screenjusticero002xg7.jpg

That's my 5th Siroma card like. I dunno. Felt like taking a shot, because.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »
Just for an update, the people in the DL currently playing PWI are myself, Soppy, Tonfa, Yakumo, Talaysen, Nitori, Ashdla, miasmacloud, Unoriginal, and Ryogo. We have a faction set up on the Sanctuary server, so anyone else bored and wanting to give an MMO a spin should drop by.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
I may consider playing PWI again if I can get ahold of a copy quick. If not, well... Mrf, then. I got nothing. I'm not promising anything though.

Anyway, got my prof, I have a taekwon->soul linker and swordman->sader in the making. Training up my swordman right now.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
Just in case, job distribution so far:

Blademaster:
Nitori

Wizard:
Tonfa
Ryogo

Barbarian:
Yakko

Venomancer:
Laggy
Tal
Yakko

Cleric:
Laggy
mia
Unoriginal

Archer:
Soppy
Ashdla

Barbs, Blademasters and Wizards welcome!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:57:44 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
No one wants to been a human :(

Taishyr

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »
Kingdom of Loathing, Trickster and Ragnarok Online are the only three I've ever really gotten into. RO is... it's got the best soloing potential of any MMO out there which is why I like it but even there it's not great, so.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
Lessee...

10six: Played this back when it was a beta on heat.net. It was a cool game and now, thanks to you all, I just found someone revived it cheap. Its not free, but it is cheap and it certainly is tempting to try it out again.

Everquest: The original! Played this up until Ruins of Kunark, I believe. Despite the masochistic gameplay, I actually had quite a bit of fun with it.

Ragnorak Online: Played it for a while. It was enjoyable, but never stuck with me.

WoW: I plays it. Its fun.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 01:40:50 AM »
Got a level 80 Mage on WoW, haven't played for a week or so.  The end game content is boring and a joke now.  Hoping that they decide to add an instance that can't be cleared the first time people run through it.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »
I stay away from MMOs because I'm afraid of the timesink and I don't feel like paying monthly fees for any of the games that have it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 06:40:59 AM »
Got a level 80 Mage on WoW, haven't played for a week or so.  The end game content is boring and a joke now.  Hoping that they decide to add an instance that can't be cleared the first time people run through it.

You do realize that "the first time they ran it" was after they'd been farming the place for months in Beta, right?

Anyway, Blizzard has finally realized the mistake they've been making, and aren't going to leave raid instances open on the PTRs. They are going to do "focus testing" on certain areas to pinpoint bugs for short spans of time, and that's it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
I am getting sick of the Naxx argument.  It wasn't a mistake.  It was designed to be the way it is, it is functioning perfectly.  If Naxx were to be difficult it would pretty much stonewall anyone new from ever raiding .  Fuck that shit and get over it.  Malygos is an interesting enough fight that is pretty tight without raid stacking  or without totally outgearing it.  Sartharion is ridiculously easy with no drakes, add a single one and the chaos amplifies dramatically and it only get more chaotic  and difficult to control.  It is some really amazing design that is generally speaking actually execution based fights instead of stupidly tight tuning.  I don't know what the fuck people wanted.  Were people wanting Leothoras the Blind version 1.0 in the opening dungeon or some shit?  Incredibly tightly tuned execution fights that are brutally punishing?  With some luck based elements in there that amplify difficulty to boot?  No thanks.  For every Noth or Gothik in Naxx 1.0 there is 2 other fights that are actually still mechanically interesting without being cruelly punishing or require you to sit there week after week constantly meat grinding yourself up against it time after time to see if you meet the execution or the gear check.

Edit - And not having logged on for a week is a bad thing?  Being able to take a week off an MMO without losing ground is the very thing the genre has needed forever and never provided.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:50 AM »
Ehh, I played WoW from the day it came out.  Back in the day the game took a little bit of skill.  I stopped around BWL because it got boring.  I come back hit 80, and can PUG every raid in the game in 2 weeks.  Granted half of the raid had been there, cleared it, etc.  The other half didn't know what the hell they were doing, obeyed instructions, and killed everything.  It used to be that people actually had to know learn/adapt to fights.  (Youtube is partly to blame for this.)

Other issues:
-Back in the day things took a little bit of talent to do.  Not to mention, the macros and addons have gotten to the point where you don't actually have to do anything on your own.  (I never use them anyway, but it gives noobs advantages they don't deserve.)
-It used to take time to get geared up.  Now you can grab 10 people and pick up 50 top tier epics in a day.  In a week you're geared out and the only point to the game is the PvP or alt.
-Basically Blizzard idiot proofed the game for the mainstream players.  I don't enjoy a game for very long if it lacks any real challenge and if good players don't hold any advantages over bad players.  (The only advantage that you can hold is to spend more time than the other guy.  This was always true, but is even truer now than it used to be.)

I will admit that a lot of the new fights are pretty fun.  The instances have far more polish, the bosses actually have some different strats other than tank and spank, and the loot dropping has some form of order to it now.  The problem is, after 2 weeks you're maxed out.  You can opt to alt or just PvP.  Alting bores me personally, although I can see why people would stick around for it if you enjoy leveling.  PvP gets boring when Druid fights last for 6 months!

Also, Blizzard completely raped Mages and Warlocks.  GG!