Author Topic: Techniques Tournament: Noms and ideas  (Read 6879 times)

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
Re: Techniques Tournament: Noms and ideas
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:42 AM »
Crap. Stupid Japan.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »
Impulse (WA2)- No one nommed it yet... kind of a duh for me. - Anastasia/Ashley, PC
Battalion Sword (Lunar 2)- BURN BURN BURN! My way of cheesing out EBC dungeons without using too much MP. Blue Dragon Kick too, but that doesn't have the amusing sound bite. - Hiro, PC
Flameria (Lunar 1)- Mia's hit all fire attack. Always was pretty cool to me. - Mia, PC
Niebelung Valesti (VP)- Just cool to watch, and liked Lenneth's sound bite. - Lenneth, PC
Side Kick (SO3)- Ultimate cheese in combo chaining.- Fayt, PC
Sodine (Thousand Arms)- Most broken summon ever. Meis, PC
Change (GoCIV)- Turning your enemy's army into the weakest enemies in the game FOR FREE is utter, utter broken. - Jackal, PC
Randomizer (WA1o)- Just plain fun to use. Never know what you're gonna get! Unless you're me and did the percentages~- Cecilia, PC
Laser Silhouette (WA:ACF)- Plain cool to watch.- Jack, PC
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:44:20 AM by Hunter Sopko »

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
Revitalize (Tales of Vesperia)- I've always liked the concept behind revitalize. Giant healing circles need to show up more in games.
Bloody Howling (Tales of the Abyss)-It has an awesome name and a really cool animation.
Valor (Lufia 2)- I loved the idea behind this spell. Also best healing spell in the game.
Cube Toss (Chrono Trigger)- This attack always does a ton of damage from when you get it till the end of the game.
Energy Burst (Star Ocean 3)- Just a brutal and cool looking attack.
Ice 3 (FF6)- My favorite of the final fantasy ice spells.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
Train Wreck (Phantom Brave) - Come ON.
Oil (Final Fantasy series) - One of the greatest status effects of all time.
Morbol Virus (Final Fantasy Tactics) - This, however, is the best one.
Earth-Rending Fury (Live a Live) - Superpowerful magic attack with large AoE that has 8CT and is given to the two characters with the IQ of a rock
Personal Call (Atelier Iris 3) - Creates an extra CT bar for you, that can act three times before disappearing. Oh, it's on the fastest PC too. Turnhax gogogo

Revolution (Breath of Fire 4) - Inverting your HP is pretty neat.
Chaos Flare (Legend of Legaia) - IT IS MIGHTY
Russian Roulette (Final Fantasy X-2) - Now with 5 different status bullets and one normal one!
Gatling Gun (Live a Live) - Do not align yourself diagonally with O.Dio.
Trout's physical (Breath of Fire 2) - So, what's one of the legendary demons to do when busted? Steal your moneys in a fight to the death of course.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
Good noms so far. I'll close 'em on Monday and sort out the brackets.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:58 AM »

1.) Devour (Final Fantasy VIII)
2.) Sexy Beam (Disgaea)
3.) Don Joaquin's meteor attack from Disgaea. You know which one I'm talking about. I don't remember what it was called.
4.) Underpants Dance (Dragon Quest VIII)
5.) Puff Puff (Dragon Quest VIII)
6.) Coup de Gras (La Pucelle: Tactics)
7.) Floral Ray (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)
8.) Splash (Pokemon)
9.) Frog Drop (Final Fantasy IX)
10.) Pow Pow Hammer (Tales of Phantasia)

Taishyr

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 02:56:14 AM »
Lance, thank you. I can't believe I forgot Devour.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »
Gameplay effect picks:

Weaken (Wild Arms 3) - Beating down things with elemental weaknesses is always entertaining. Creating them yourself even moreso. Debilitator would work too except it's way too random. Weaken's just another thing in the bag of WA3 tricks that makes your offence higher than raw numbers seem to allow; Valiant would also work. Tempted to nom that~

Protective Seal (Chrono Trigger) - Cute gimmick. CT gives you too much status immunity by endgame, so what does the final boss do?

Sealed Throne (Xenosaga 2) - Because I can't help but smile at a boss that exploits the usual "save up the special gauge for bosses!!" strategy.

Quicksilver (MMXCM) - INFINITE. TURNS.

Scan (FFX) - You can take this as a general nom for scans in general if that gains more traction. <3 Giving you information for you to combat your foes with is good.

Animation/style picks:

Crimson Raid (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - Badass points for being exactly the same as an attack used to gruesome results in cutscenes.

Ice 4 (Final Fantasy Tactics) - Laughably useless, but one of the prettiest spell animations ever if you bother to see it! I'm biased towards ice as a general rule

Dark Holy (Final Fantasy Tactics) - I am obligated to nom this, but yeah. Twisting the Holy animation around with that lovable scream is just awesome.

Nibelung Valesti 0 (Valkyrie Profile 2) - This is Alicia's first Soul Crush, for clarity. Using the crystal-teleporting mechanic in a spell animation to stylish and painful effect is fun.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
It's all about the AV to me, sorting out based on usefulness from there. I'll use cool looking less effective moves to finish off bosses, fight randoms, etc. and sometimes... just because I feel like it.

Tank Drop (WA4): Just fought Belial, and while she only got to use it twice... it was a tank being dropped on the party. Yes.

Hand of Fate (SoA): It's Drachma flying through the air with a robotic hand that's twice his size and landing it on the enemy for massive damage and instant death.

Tatsumaki Zankantou (SRW:OGs): Real men ride other men. Also, incredibly high powered attack running off of Zengar/Zanger/Sanger's melee stat.

Genocide Circus (WA5): My favorite Combination Art animation, and one of three that I made use of aside from looking cool, due to using Carol and Rebecca a lot.

Akashic Buster (SRW:OGG) OGG version specifically, for the flourish at the end. Favorite animation for one of my favorite originals, and spammable as heck once you get the morale.

Lionheart (FF8): Omnislash, only way cooler.

Shining Binds (ToS2): All the hi-ougis got a big visual upgrade, but Shining Binds was already the best of them.

Fever Time (TotA): Fireworks!

Silver Nightmare (SoA): Puppet show!

And some really cool usefulness.

Intrude (WA4): Already have good memories of Raquel starting off turns with 75+ FP.

Grand Cross (FFany): If you aren't loaded up on Ribbons, this is THE attack you least want to see at any given time. Nearly had to retry Necron in FF9, except Berserk Freya and Zidane, the only ones left alive, took him down. Add Night Queen (P3) to this, for similar reasons.

Aura of Denial (SoA:L): The reason to use Gilder. At least, I think it blocks ID, and necessary for a few bosses here and there, like Daikokuya.

Baton Pass (PKMN): Ever fought a well played BP chain? Mostly applies to the metagame.

And this.

Metronome (PKMN): Clefable used Metronome! Clefable used Explosion!

Proooobably remember some more later.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:13:06 PM by Ultradude »
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
Power Dance (Peppita SO3)

Fury Brand (Aeris FF7)

The End (Selphie FF8)

Recharmda (SMT2)

*Thinking*
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
The only one I can think of for now:

Sweet Trap (Persona) - I love trying to figure out how many things it can actually drop on monsters.

Oh, one more.

Magicwall (Makarakarn) (Persona) - A game where magic is the most worrying thing? Reflect! That doesn't reflect positive things.

Pyro

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:02 AM »
Meteor Storm (Tales of Vesperia). While it may not be the shiniest attack ever (it is pretty though), this is the epitome of the most broken Tales mage ever. "Oh countless stars that wander the heavens, rain down and glorify the land! METEOR STORM!" *alternatively* "Blah blah blah METEOR STORM!!"

Invincible (Arc the Lad 2). What were you expecting? Anyways, stupidly effective in several different ways.

Toss in another nod for Alicia's NV0. Stylish as hell and the first SC you get.

Astra (FE10). So stylish, so painful. Also makes 5 damage go a long, long way.

Quick Hit (FF10): Effective.

That-one-move-Hortensia-uses-to-knock-you-all-the-way-across-the-battlefied (BoF5:DQ) Because if her defense and damage alone didn't SCREAM "Wyrm me"...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »
Seeing a few here reminds me...

Kemaro (LoL)- Wheeee useful magic! - General, PC
Totenkrueiz (Disgaea)- Probably my favorite attack in the game. - Gunner, PC
Rah-Rah Cheer (Grandia)- C'MOOOOOOOOOOOON PUFFY! - Sue, PC
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:45:04 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »
Armaggedon (Persona 3)[PC]: Super Cheesey.

Brave Vesperia (Tales of Vesperia)[Boss]: Super Awesome.

Demon Blast (Soul Nomad)[PC]: Needs more hype.

LAZLO SMASH/Double-Edged Sword (Suikoden Tactics)[PC]: LAZLO SMASH for a reason.

Fragmented End (Tales of the Abyss)[Boss]: Because I enjoy seeing 10x PCHP in damage.

Nine Heroes(Soul Nomad)[PC]: Levin hype~

Twin Blade (Soul Nomad)[PC]: Best combo special.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:50:34 AM by Fudozukushi »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »
Edited out  Nukemore for Roseiro Impale.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
Some of these might not be completely the sort of thing that were had in mind.

Renzokuken (FF8/Squall/PC)
Standard Attack with the Claiomh Solais equipped (Dragon Slayer Gaiden/Knight/PC)
Ideon Gun (SRWFF/Ideon/PC)
Surround Missile Damage Damage Damage Damage Surround Damage Damage Damage Damage Missile Damage Damage Damage Damage (Legend/Runemaster/PC)
Catastrophe (Golden Sun 2/All PCs/PC)
Jump-Sliding Attack (Terranigma/Ark/PC)
Lightning Stab (FFT/Agrias;Orlandu/PC)
Life (FFMQ/All PCs/PC)
Phantom Phoenix (SRWOGSEF/Aschen/PC)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 08:31:26 AM by Twilkitri »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 10:16:57 PM »
System ID (Xenogears)

How could I have forgotten that one.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 10:55:27 PM »
I like this idea. Wish I'd have gotten in on it sooner.

~Round Rip Saber (VP/Lucian)
~Spire (CT/Chrono+Frog) (This is one of the best looking techs ever. C'mon, guys.)
~Ripper Blast (SO2/Claude)
~DOG LASER (SoE/Dog)
~Dynamite (FFVII/Cid)
~Neibulung Valesti (VP/Lenneth) (IT SHALL BE ENGRAVED UPON YOUR -SOUL-) (I'm not a big VP fan, but god -damn- it had some stylish moves.)
~Spicule (SO2/Decus)
~Wake (BoF2/Rand) (I dunno. The idea of punching one of your fallen comrades until they are no longer dead just appeals to me)

That's all I got right now.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »
A couple more last minute ones.
Pheonix (Legend of Mana knife technique)
Climbing Garden (WA5 combo technique)

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 03:45:55 AM »
Okay, noms are semi-closed. I'm going to try and include as many picks as I can. If you want to ensure your picks get in, you can go back and tag the more obscure ones as Boss or PC- if I don't know, I'm not going to dig too hard, given the volume of nominations. Tournament should be up in a day or two!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
How useful would it be if I put some of the more obscure ones up on youtube, that way people who haven't played the games could at least vote on audio/visuals?  Better than nothing, but if no one cares I won't bother.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
I'm probably going to go mostly on visuals/cool sounding idea for the most part.  Gameplay worth has very little meaning to me here.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 04:36:42 AM »
Okay, I'm re-opening Nominations for PC moves. After skimming some stuff out for my own arbitrary reasons while trying to keep things balanced between obscura and cliche, I'm at about 90 moves- too many to slim down to 64, too few to hit 128.

Things I've tried to avoid, so you shouldn't nom for purposes of consistency:
Generic commands
Stuff that's been heavily nominated already
Team Attacks (See Below)

I've also split Team Attacks off into a seperate category- We've got about 2 slots left there, or 18 if people want to try and push for another bracket on it. Boss attacks we have about four slots remaining, which I can fill if people don't want to.

I'm going to open noms up for another 3 days, then fiddle with the math and distribute random byes if I have to. Thanks everyone so far.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 04:56:32 AM »
I'm guessing Generic commands encompasses things like "So-and-so's physical when critical", Disgaea Lift/Throw, LoD Defend... Not quite sure how anything from Fire Emblem would fit in... Since they straddle the line of 'skill' and 'weapon'... I guess FE9/10 abilities are fine (go Aether!).

Speaking of...

I want to nom Tanith's Reinforce - summons some random Pegasus Knight mooks to use as bait in FE9. Most useful ability in the game. Anything the mooks manage to kill, the experience gets sent to the team EXP pool for use in any of your other units. Godlike usefulness from a gameplay standpoint.

Radiant Howl (TotA) - Luke's Mystic Arte, add in the Ion extension for extra coolness on a replay!

Tri-Ace (SO2) - Ashton's signature move, nigh-impossible to get, but cool-looking and fun to use against Iseria Queen. Makes a return in SOBluesphere, but even MORE pixelated!

Silent Lake (S2/3) - Pretty, deadly, Chris' signature move (along with Seed and a few others), and resistance is futile.

Spell-Binding Eye (G2) - As useful as it is stylish! Millenia's signature move (in the DL anyway... I suppose Fallen Wings is closer).

I could easily come up with 30 more moves on my own, but I suppose everyone else deserves a chance to nom new things...

EDIT: Because I'm surprised no one's nommed it, yet.

Diamond Dust (FFX Shiva Overdrive) - Because the fingersnap that shatters worlds at the end is so ridiculously stylish.

-Djinn
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:33:25 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 04:58:28 AM »
Anything the mooks manage to kill, the experience gets sent to the team EXP pool for use in any of your other units.

No it doesn't. (Still a good ability anyway, though.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.