Author Topic: Season 49/50 Rankings: Preliminary topic: Now open!  (Read 7154 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Season 49/50 Rankings: Preliminary topic: Now open!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
Mana Khemia:  Haven't played it, but...it seems to have pulled an upset of sorts in that I didn't expect the game to ever be rankable, but well, here we are!  Anyway, yeah, seems like the best option this time around.

EDIT: Naesala FW.  Yeah, he should be in.  Enough plot, interesting enough by FE standards, popular, etc.  Missed last round barely, deserves to get in (So does Elincia! But one character at a time)

I was supporting MMXCM, but Naesala probably deserves to be in.  MK seems like objectively the best choice at the moment, much as it still surprises me that a Gust game actually became popular enough.  So yeah, these two.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:45:09 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 01:17:36 AM »
I'd say Mana Khemia and Wild Arms 5.

I'd say WA:XF would need a bit more than the average rankability in terms of internal due to being on the PSP, sadly, as much as I want to see it in.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:29 AM »
Tales of Vesperia seems to be far more popular than I expected, it utterly outranks (among others) WA5 and Dis3. External is more than ok, too bad about the internal.

Just for the record, ToS showed something along the lines of three times the purchases, IIRC? And was, initially, miserable on vote percent(In like the bottom ten games or something), despite being ranked when vote totals were fairly high.

Presumably, being on an off console with few RPGs in and of it's self, and being an ARPG, gave the game much higher sales among people who don't have ten RPGs to rub together for voting reasons. At least, that's all I can guess. ToV, even if it had good presence among the writing staff, may be a bad idea anyways, as such.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Pyro

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 01:59:16 AM »
ToV is a bit different from ToS in that ToS was practically one of two RPGs for the GameCube over it's entire lifetime. I'm pretty sure the 360 already has more RPGs than the GC had period? Well, it seems more an issue of "next gen consoles aren't ready and may not be in any reasonable time frame" than "ToV can only be popular because it is the only RPG for it's system."

As for myself, I'll go with Mana Khemia and Wild Arms 5. MK I am a big fan of personally and WA5 feels like the second best out of mediocre options.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 02:28:43 AM »
I guess my big question is that... do people really care about WA5 more than MMXCM outside the DL? I don't really pay attention, but less interesting duellers + game that people don't really like is not really capturing me at all.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 02:34:39 AM »
It'd be the big question of the ranking period. I've heard a couple of people express a pretty strong desire to not see WA5 in due to the interest issues. On the other hand, CM's an older title that flopped horribly and is now the in the 8 dollar bin at Gamestops nationwide.

I am considering switching my WA5 nod to Naesala. He does deserve to be in and  I have massive reservations about CM at this point. WA5 may pull a VH and not get much interest outside of a few bosses.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 04:25:48 AM »
RAAAAAAANK MEEEEEEEEEE

*ahem*

FW Elyon
and Persona 4, because it's the only other thing I've actually played here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:23:13 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:15 AM »
MK and MM

I don't mind WA5, but has no urge to support it.

Andemon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:14 AM »
I guess my big question is that... do people really care about WA5 more than MMXCM outside the DL?

The numbers are disappointingly low for both games.
MMX:CM is more widely played than WA5, but its popularity is dragged down by the Megaman fans who thought that it was too boring/wordy. Most of them have zero interest in DL, so I predict that the draw will remain low if it's ranked. Not only that, but it's already four years old, and as I said, rapidly fading into obscurity.

WA5 received a rather lukewarm reception, slightly lower than WA4.

Frankly, neither of them seem worth ranking. If it were possible, I would've only voted for MK. WA5 is slightly better than the alternatives, but not by much.
...actually, I had forgotten about Naesala. Tempted to switch my vote now...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
I guess my big question is that... do people really care about WA5 more than MMXCM outside the DL? I don't really pay attention, but less interesting duellers + game that people don't really like is not really capturing me at all.

WA 5 isn't really well liked? I know it's no WA 4 in terms of popularity (in the DL at least), but most people at least seem to like it to some degree.
...into the nightfall.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
Hmm...

Mana Khemia
FW-Naesala

WA5 interests me so very, very little. And CM...just feels a bit weak.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
I think they mean as a rank, Dhyer, but I have to agree with you. I'm seeing a lot of rumor and heresay about people disliking WA5, but other than people preferring Command Mission over it (legitimate) I'm not seeing a lot of outright hate or rebukes.

NINJA'D BY GATE- Other than Gate. >.>

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
*Genuinely likes WA5, though still places it below WA3&4, of course* It's inoffensive (unless you're one of those people who just got pissed off over it not being Wild Arms 4 Redux) and gets us a few godlikes, at least. Not a stellar rank but a perfectly acceptable one to me.

Taishyr

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
Mana Khemia
FW Naesala

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
And...since you IDIOTS will not RESPECT the AWESOME of BARKLEY or SONIC, I must CHANGE my VOTES.

EMPHASIS ON THE CHANGE.

So, I support now...

Mana Khemia - Guess I need to speed through this.  >_>  Anyway, it went from a pipe dream last time to the best choice this time.  How...cool.  Seems strong overall, and a great choice for prospective ranking.  Need to play it for actual ranking concerns, but they don't sound too bad. 

Naesala - This spot has been back and forth for me.  MMXCM is much, much more interesting than WA5...but I feel (for whatever it's worth) that the external needs work...which might never happen, so it's not a bad choice now!  WA5, though...bores me a lot.  WA5 is overall a better idea than MMXCM, I feel, but the fact it's not been ranked when it really had the chance twice is...bleh.  I understand better stuff was around, but still.  Naesala, on the other hand, has great support, is interesting, and a great character from a game with good vote draw.  Plus, he's hot.  There...is nothing wrong with ranking him, especially since...hey, he's a FW, so as long as he makes top 2 here, we get the 3rd choice in too.  This cannot be bad in any way whatsoever.  Strikes me as the best option - we can argue MMXCM vs. WA5 during the next phase.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
I feel, but the fact it's not been ranked when it really had the chance twice is...bleh.  I understand better stuff was around, but still.

This is a horrible argument.  Better stuff was around so of course it wouldn't be ranked.  Games can get better as time goes on and their competition can get ranked.  Maybe if it had gotten to the second phase and got rejected, then MAYBE you'd have an argument, but not if it's just because people felt other games were better at the time/it needed more people to play it.

I don't really have any problems with your choices or other arguments or anything, that sentence just irked me.  >.>

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »
Not really using that as an argument, more of an aside.  I mean, I did laugh a bit when it missed it barely, but...you are right, that's more of a problem in the second stage.  It sill find it funny that a FW with votesplit beat out an entire game with several Godlikes >_>  It's just more funny to me the way I look at it.

The game's technically been ready, and hasn't changed much, in the past two periods.  Which means to say waiting isn't changing it much.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
The game's technically been ready, and hasn't changed much, in the past two periods.  Which means to say waiting isn't changing it much.

Waiting still gets rid of stuff like MK and MMXCM which are better or arguably better ranks.  So even if WA5 ITSELF doesn't change, it changes relative to the other ideas it's against.  I mean, if we rank MK and MMXCM, can you think of two games that would beat WA5 out next time?  Well, WAXF and P4 are probably the most likely, but I'm kind of doubting either of them would be better.

So yeah, even if a game doesn't change in terms of draw, it can still be a better rank next time due to less competition.  Of course, this implies it is suitable for ranking NOW, but it doesn't require it to be one of the top two.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »

Waiting still gets rid of stuff like MK and MMXCM which are better or arguably better ranks.  So even if WA5 ITSELF doesn't change, it changes relative to the other ideas it's against.  I mean, if we rank MK and MMXCM, can you think of two games that would beat WA5 out next time?  Well, WAXF and P4 are probably the most likely, but I'm kind of doubting either of them would be better.

So yeah, even if a game doesn't change in terms of draw, it can still be a better rank next time due to less competition.  Of course, this implies it is suitable for ranking NOW, but it doesn't require it to be one of the top two.

Speaking in an absolute sense myself, not relatively, but yes, I see your point. 

And Barkley/Sonic would be better next time than WA5!  >_>

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2009, 12:34:55 AM »
WA5 itself is reasonably well-liked, if rarely loved in the DL (though it's far below WA4; if they were actually close as Andemon sugests, WA5 would be a slamdunk ranking idea, so I once again caution using sources outside the DL...). I think the real concern with it comes from the fact that its PC cast the least interesting we've ranked in years (since VH if not since WA3), so it's generating some apathy that way, though the fact that it's a bit weaker on internal than MMXCM and MK doesn't help.

Generally agree that it's strong enough to deserve to be ranked; I won't vote against it if it comes up and I'm not really sure why one would (we've let far more suspect games through), I'm just not sure if it's the one of the best ideas this time. Basically, see Tal.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2009, 02:10:11 AM »
WA5 and FW Naesala.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2009, 02:12:40 AM »
Mana Khemia: Sure, I can believe it's got enough push outside the DL to be worth ranking.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest: The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single vote.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2009, 02:15:29 AM »
Mana Khemia and WA5 works.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2009, 02:29:09 AM »
Mega Man X: Command Mission

FE9 Naesala
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »
This will close along with the update. Get your votes and comments in now!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...