Register

Author Topic: S49 Retirement Topic  (Read 15512 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
S49 Retirement Topic
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:43 AM »
It returns! Basically, after Taya (and SF's in general) serious struggling, I thought that it should probably at least be brought up again.

For an idea to make the second round of the boot topic, it must have seven people supporting it's removal from the DL. I went around talking to various people, fielding ideas for the topic. Also needs to have more 'boots' than keeps.

Feel free to suggest new ideas if you wish. Any new ideas need seven votes to make the next round of booting.

Check on Votedraw: http://www.rpgdl.com/votedraw.php

Suggested Games
ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention)

Chrono Cross (Lesser used, less connected, later characters; Split-path characters; Pip and Sprigg)

Baldur's Gate

Brigandine

Fire Emblem 7 (Lesser used, less connected, later characters)

Phantasy Star 1

Phantasy Star 2

Shining Force 1

Shining Force 2

Barbarossa (Suikoden)

Suikoden 1 (Lesser Used, Less Connected, Later Characters)

Suikoden 2 (Lesser Used, Less Connected, Later Characters)

Suikoden 3 (Lesser Used, Less Connected, Later Characters)

Tales of Eternia

Valkyrie Profile (Lesser Used, Less Connected, Later Characters)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:37:39 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: S49 Retirement Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:01:25 AM »
Gut reactions, without having researched the draw...

As usual, Barbarossa is not rankable to me. It's not at all clear to me he's the Hydra; that really feels more like a True Rune Incarnation like S2/3/5 finals.

I'm always up for less AtL4. BGs probably, too.

PSs... Keep Rolf. Inclined to say keep PS1 in general but I might be misremembering their vote draw. PS2 filler I am less attached to.

EDIT: Checking the vote draw... yeah BGs fails, AtL4 as well. Phantasy Stars are tolerable; I really can't see why you'd pick on them but not, say, ToE, which ranked below them in every votedraw cutoff I checked. I could also mention Brig here but at least that has fans.

So yeah. I'll support booting Barbarossa, Baldur's Gate, Arc the Lad 4, and Rassius (ToE). Could also be argued into some trimmings, but I'll let others make the arguments.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:58:07 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:07:35 AM »
Keep PS1 and Rolf. ABstain on the rest of PS2. Remove BGs. I loved the games as a DL concept but they did not work. Remove Barbarossa. Remove AtL4.  Remove SF1 besides for Max and Jogurt. The remake did not help this game at all and it's not even gotten better as totals have dropped. Remove SF2 besides for Bowie and Odd Eye. I can be argued on keeping say Peter, but by and large it's been awful. Taya drew 35% against Persona 3 and lost badly. Urgh.

N ote to Dhyer: Count this as a boot all with the exception of the afore metnioned items. We can sort through the rest next stage.

Edit: Keep on Suikoden for now. Not seeing nearly enough support to justify a boot.

Edit: Keep VP besides Freya. The mages are boring, but who cares? The game draws and it -does- have character fans. I say this as someone who hates the game about as much as anyone, but I can't see culling this title besides Freya.
Freya, fuck off and die.

Edit: Tenative boot to ToE. Would like to see this make the next stage.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:29:35 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »
Keep PSes, AtL4, Max and Jogurt

Kill the rest of ShF1, Barbarossa, and BGs

Abstain on ShF2

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 06:11:56 AM »
Boot Bebedora. Not much of a dueller, random inclusion. Kharg at least proved he could keep up season 41.

Keep BG for now. Similarly to Kharg, they recently had a very successful dueller in Imoen.

Phantasy Star 1- I'd just throw in old. Very antiquated filler.

Phantasy Star 2- Keep Rolf, Anna, Rudo, and Amy (Aka the ones that I'd feel most people know what exactly they can do). DEFINETELY boot Josh Kain, who managed to lose to a Shining Force Dragon. Also, Nei, Hugh and Shir (Although I'm semi decent with the last two, I guess).

Shining Force 1- Keep Max. Abstain on Domingo. Boot everyone else.

Shining Force 2- Keep Bowie, Odd Eye, and Peter. Abstain on Sarah and Slade. Everyone else can get the boot.
Boot Barbarossa. Not actually him, etc.

Brig- Keep. Quite decently liked within the DL, self-pandering and such.

CC- Well, I'm 100% down with booting Pip and Sprigg, and NEB's list. Both are duelling headaches. Abstain on everyone else. I like elemental weaknesses, but there are so damn many of them! (Of course, if the weaknesses were 50%, I'd vote keep due solely to interesting ness).

Fire Emblem 7- Futile, but I'd boot based on Djinn's and that other list floating around.

ToE- Boot Rassius and Shizel and Chat! Rassius has already been gone over. Shizel has form split based on plot, and isn't liked. Abstain on Max, keep the main 4.

VP 1- Futile again, but I'll again agree with Djinn's list except keep Yumei, and also Freya.
Suikoden Games- Boot my lists on page 3
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:22:03 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:08:51 AM »
Keep Phantasy Star 1, Phantasy Star 2, Barbarossa.

Abstain on ATL4, Baldur's Gate, Shining Force 1, Shining Force 2.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »
Keep:
PS1 (small cast)
Rolf (main, has history), Nei (memorable female lead), Josh Kain (only one with an interesting spoiler skillset vs. Robots),
Kharg (main), Darc (main),
Max (main), Jogurt (godlike), Domingo (iunno), Bleu (Light needs more dragons),
Bowie (main), Peter (memorable),
and all bosses from PSes & ShFs (far more memorable than most of the PCs)
EDIT: super makes a good point
Darksol (main villain), Mishaela (memorable lackey)
OddEye (best part of ShF series?)

Abstain on:
Bebedora (eh, she's kind of funny),
Rudo (first non-Nei partner, somewhat memorable), Amy (apparently used by a lot of people),
Anri (sort of like a lead female?),
Ramladu (kind of important/memorable)
Sarah (sort of like a lead female?)
Barbarossa (maybe just rename him Sovereign Rune Incarnation?)

Boot:
BGs (apparently not drawing at all),
The rest of ShF1/2 PCs (definitely not drawing well),
The rest of ShF1/2 bosses (memorability not really there)
PSII PCs (forgettable, but I could be argued to keep 'em)

-Djinn

Is there any way we might cull some CC, VP1, or FE7? They aren't horrible at drawing, but there's just so much fluff from these games that we wouldn't rank these days.  Just some ideas:

CC: A bunch of non-requisite PCs without much impact (if any) on the story.
Doc (splitpath), Funguy, Greco, Grobyc, Janice, Luccia, Macha (splitpath), Mel (splitpath), Mojo, Neo-Fio, Orcha, Orlha, Pierre (splitpath), Skelly, Sneff, Turnip, Van, Zappa

Glenn is also splitpath, but if I'm remembering correctly, he's popular and decent a dueller. Nikki and Korcha are also important to the story, though splitpath PCs.

Starky, Pip, Draggy, Miki, Guile are also nonimportant to the story, but I have this impression that they're popular. Note that while Starky is unimportant to the plot, he's apparently not optional (wow, I never knew). Sprigg is also an auto-recruit.

Garai... I just don't remember him well.

FE7
Dart, Hawkeye, Heath, Isadora, Legault, Renault, Vaida
- all later game pick-ups who don't really stand out in stats or have much effect on the story.

VP1
Gandar, Janus, Jayle, Jun, Lyseria, Nanami, Yumei
- later game einherjar who don't have direct connections to storylines outside of their own. Don't know which, if any, are fan favorites.

Llewelyn and Belenus don't have any connections to storylines outside of their own, but they are fairly standard earlygame pickups.

Shiho and Suo's storylines only connect to eachother's. But I get the impression that Shiho is popular for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:52:19 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention)

Abstain

Baldur's Gate

Give it shoes made for traversing work zones and snow fields.

Phantasy Star 1

The cast is small enough for me to want to say a blanket keep, but if they have to go, at least have Alis as a FW.  The only match she's been allowed in was against someone who eventually upgraded to Godlike.

Phantasy Star 2

Everyone except Rudolf is actually interesting to a point.  Boot Rudolf, keep the rest.

Shining Force 1

Keep Max, Domingo, Jogurt, and the bosses.  Beat the rest with an iron pole.

Shining Force 2

Abstain.

Barbarossa (Suikoden)

The only logic I've seen to debunk Barbarossa could also be used to mass boot pretty much all the Legaia 2 characters, Yuna, and pretty much any other summoner ever.  At least he has direct control over its power.  I say keep.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
AtL4: Abstain on this one.

Barbarossa: Is a crappy rank, but I hate seeing people show up in booting topics repeatedly so I'm just going to abstain on the whole mess. Won't be sad to see him go, though.

BGs: Boot all, sadly, and everyone lame enough to not play BG2 gets a boot in the ass.

PS1: Keep. It's a small cast and Alis at the very least should be here to represent it.

PS2: Keep Rolf at the least. Abstain on the rest.

ShF1: Max and Jogurt are sufficient representation for the game. The rest can't win fights that should be theirs in landslide victories. Abstain on Domingo though, since he's sorta nonfail and certainly memorable.

ShF2: Keep Bowie and the bosses. The rest of the PCs aren't worth keeping around if even one of the better ones (Taya) handily loses easy matches, so boot 'em all.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
and all bosses from PSes & ShFs (far more memorable than most of the PCs)

Galam owns nothing in terms of memorability and Geshp.... well, see youthful spirit and his recent run. SF bosses besides Odd Eye and Darksol have been all kinds of awful in the DL since the beginning. I'm fine with retiring everyone on Djinn's list besides Renault (sucks but has memorability in spades) plus I'm in favor of retiring Pip. Screw Pip.

Abstain on any Suiko bootings if it comes up besides Barbarossa.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:47:21 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
Regarding CC, while I won't support wide cuts to a game that draws this well at this time, axing splitpath certainly seems reasonable. We didn't rank FE7 splitpath, and FE7's in the same general ballpark of drawing as CC. I'd keep Glenn, but that still leaves...

Guile
Pierre (strong support here, since he additionally has obscure equips which make him suck less than first appears!)
Nikki
Mel
Doc
Macha
Razzly
Korcha

I -think- that's the list, at least. It's been a while since I've played CC, so someone correct me if I've forgotten anyone

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
I'm pretty strongly in favor of tossing Sprigg and Pip for being boring headaches as well. That does cover all the splitpaths of note.

Edit: It's like pulling teeth to get writeups for some of the more obscure/unliked cast members for really big games. Sprigg stands out for this the last time she got in, so I'm happy to see her ass hit the door.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:29:02 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention)- Boot Bebedora (as much as I pain to say that)

Keep Kharg and Darc

Baldur's Gate- Keep Imoen, boot the rest

Phantasy Star 1- Keep Alis, boot the rest

Phantasy Star 2- Keep Rolf, Nei, Rudo and Amy, boot the rest since they arent used as much, Keep Neifirst too, forgot about her.

Shining Force 1- Keep Max and Jogurt, boot the rest

Also add in a boot for Brigandine (except keep a Forgotton warrior (not sure who is the best bet here though). Using the vote draw Season 40- current it was drawing worse than BG and Arc 4, yet never gets mentioned in these topics)

Shining Force 2- Keep Odd Eye and Bowie and boot the rest. (abstain on Peter though, might be talked into keeping him. )

Barbarossa (Suikoden)- Keep, pointless to boot him.

Keep all others mentioned in the topic (CC, Suikoden scrubs, VP scrubs, FE7 scrubs)

Edit: Tales of Eternia: Boot Ras, Chat and Max (Ras is a temp, the other two are optional), Keep the others.

EDIT: Also I dont care about vote draw as long as characters are not getting robbed. Kharg/Imoen isnt getting Robbed, shining force is. Thus the reasoning for my votes. As always, I like having a forgotten warrior since it gives the DL more variety. and Plus, I like many of the low drawing games >_>

Edit yet again: Forgot about Neifirst and added in a keep for her. Also added an abstain on Peter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:34:15 PM by alanna82 »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 06:05:48 PM »
ShF - Boot the vast majority, excepting the mains (Peter & Bowie) + Jogurt + Odd Eye.

ATL4- I voted strongly to keep the mains before because they have character and are interesting heavies.  Unfortunately it seems that they end up in an annoying interpretation swamp I didn't know about, as I find allowing the Big Owl / Pyron just bizarre as it seems clearly flavored as a team-ability.  That makes me much more meh about keeping them around.  Abstain I guess.

Baldur's Gate - Keep Imoen and Minsc.  Boot the rest.

Phantasy Star 1 & 2 - I don't think "is a small cast" helps that much, though I suppose everyone who played the game knows the characters that way.  But PS1 is not a game that has stood the test of time.  Keep FW Alis, boot the rest of PS1.  For PS2...  uh, not sure.  Keep Rolf, Abstain on the rest.

Barbarossa - Whatever?  Light boot I guess.

CC - DHE's list seems decent, though I think Guile might have some memorability for the whole not-actually-Magus thing.  Sprigg and Pip can also be booted, probably.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
AtL4
Boot Bebedora.

BGs
Keep Imoen/Minsc as FWs, boot the rest.

PS1
Keep Alis, boot the rest.

PS2
Hmmm, I'll say keep in general for now.

Shining Force 1
Keep Max and Jogurt. Abstain on Domingo. Rest can go.

Shining Force 2
Keep Bowie and Odd Eye. Abstain on Peter, Sarah and Slade. Rest can go.

CC
...yeah, I'll back dropping the Elf's list+Pip and Sprigg.

Barbarosa
Keep. Always felt like it was him to me.

Tales of Eternia
Boot to the head.

Brig
Sure, boot it. It's always a voting block for me when it comes up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:17:43 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 06:52:12 PM »
No comments on other goings ons here (my ultimate vote in the matter is not relevant at this time) but thought I'd go through Djinny's stuff.  First off, booting Fire Emblem characters is just a bad idea.  Every character in the game has their fans and we've often gotten comments about not ranking ENOUGH people.  While that matter ultimatedly died down, honestly the only guy Djinn listed that I can't think of either duelling (Dart notably) or fan (in particular Renault) reasons to keep is Hawkeye.  Whoo booting one guy from a cast of 25.
VP... if you wanted you could probably cut everyone but Lenneth, Lezard, Arngrim (who hey, have VP2 anyway), Loki and Surt obviously for bosses and...  Lucian and Mystina are probably it otherwise.  You could probably argue a few other people for comedy value (Shiho, Llewelyn) and Lawfer for overall gameplay and duelling worth, but yeah.  Basically any cut beyond those first 7 is somewhat arbitrary, which is the sort of thing that it's best to avoid.

CC now I have a lot to say on, and am probably one of the few people around that bothered to really do everything in the game.  I figure someone like that should probably comment here so >.>

First Group is, well, major bosses and Serge that should never ever be booted >.>

Miguel
Lynx
Serge
Garai

Second Group is major PCs that show up multiple times in the plot, even have boss forms, are automatic recruits at some point in the game, and also should probably stay.

Karsh
Marcy
Viper
Zoah
Fargo

Group 3 is special cases who seem like they should be in the above but aren't!

Kid- You wouldn't think you could skip on getting the heroine, but you can.  The game beats you over the head about recruiting her of course, so you're bound to see her form some potion of the game even if you don't necessarily get her permanently.
Harle- Leaves around the midgame... but after the point you get L7 techs.  Given CC's stat growth and this fact, don't think she should suffer from any temp problems.

Group 4 is required PCs with some plot but that you may or may not actually use in battle, depending. In other words, while everyone got them, they may not remember them well.  If CC were in the bottom crust of draw power this would be the place to start making cutoffs, but since it's not they should all stay too.

Grobyc
Orcha
Norris
Radius
Riddel

Group 5 is required PCs with very little plot.  They pop up, join, and you never think about them again.  If we want to trim down on CC clutter, this is probably a good one.

Leah
Steena
Starky
Sprigg

Group 6 is unmissable optional characters with some token plot.  Probably better compared to 4s than 5s.

Zappa- Zappa's a bit better than the others here, even.  Being a major shopkeep does that.
Skelly
Luccia
Sneff- At least, I believe he's optional?  I honestly forget, but he otherwise fits the 'token plot' bit.

Group 7 is unmissable optional characters with no plot.  Scrubs easily forgotten.

Miki
Orlha
Pip
Greco
Janice
Draggy- I will say that Draggy is just... conceptually cool and I would totally object to booting him.
Funguy
Neo-Fio
Turnip
Van

Group 8 is 'obvious' pathsplit characters.  That is, various "Save Kid" paths, and other characters that can be missed but that most likely won't be. Some are automatic, others aren't, some have more plot than others, but ultimately they're in the same boat.

Korcha
Irenes
Razzly
Mel

Group 9 is the viper manor pathsplit.  You are guaranteed to see one of these three.  And completely miss the others.

Guile
Nikki
Pierre

Group 10 is the 'obscure' pathsplit.  ie not saving kid, ignoring her before going to viper manor, or otherwise missable permanently very easily.

Doc
Glenn
Poshul- Can be recruited two ways actually, but both are very missable very early.
Leena
Macha
Mojo- Probably the wonkiest requirements in the game.  I can't even remember them sitting here.

Group 11... well.  They don't fit anywhere else.  I'd put them way at the top, but some people have this bias against Punies.  Weirdos.

Peppor
Solt

It's worth noting here that Group 10 is really way more interesting than like everyone below Group 4.  Well, not Poshul and Doc, but Macha's generally solid, Glenn is arguably the best non-Serge character in the game, and Leena, despite being unintuitive to recruit, is quite memorable anyway due to her position in the plot.  As well, it's worth noting that Pierre is the simplest way into Viper Manor and, despite Elfboy's objections about obscure equips making him not suck, the fact is he's a cut above his castmates for being interesting as a dueller.  Plus KETCHOP.  I mean, KETCHOP.

Anyway, not really advocating anything one way or the other here, just figured that if you were going to put people up on the block you should be systematic about it.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
Boot Baldur's Gate. Keep everything else.

EDIT: Even after all the new additions, this vote stays the same.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:48:20 PM by Lance »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention) - Kill
Baldur's Gate - Don't care~
Phantasy Star 1 - Keep, see Elfboy
Phantasy Star 2 - Keep, see Elfboy
Shining Force 1 - Keep Jogurt/Max, kill everything else
Shining Force 2 - Keep Bowie/Peter/Odd Eye/Sarah/Slade, kill everything else
Barbarossa (Suikoden) - Don't care~

I don't care about the scrubs either~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
As always not a fan of booting on principle, but...here are my thoughts, I guess.

ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention) - KEEP KHARG AND DARC.  I can see kicking Bebedora...but...eh.  Otherwise, keep Kharg and Darc.  Bebedora going is not something I'll fight against, but keeping the two main characters (who have done decentl enough) is a no brainer for me

Baldur's Gate - Keep all of them.  Imoen and Minsc have done well enough.  Not a huge fan of throwing them out

Phantasy Star 1 - Keep them all  Well, Alis at worst should stay, but...awesome kitty, heroine, LEGENDARY WARRIOR at worst are well known enough, and Alis at least has some respect

Phantasy Star 2 - Keep them all  At worst, keep Rolf, but keeping all of them is ideal - Shir and Kain losing is normal, and Kain losing to Dragons...I can definitely see people not allowing his stuff to hit them.  The dragons aren't common encounters in Noah, and a lot of people aren't going to use Kain (most FAQs are dumb and recommend Anna/Amy/Rudo >_>).  Also, Kain's skills only work on EVERYONE  ONLY IN NOAH - it's...logical people would see Bleu winning there.  

Shining Force 1 - Keep them all  If you are insistent on booting people?  Keep the plot people (Anri, Tao, Max, Darksol, etc.) and Jogurt.  These characters aren't great fighters, so losing isn't a huge concern for me.  Also, booting Jogurt?  What?

Shining Force 2 - Keep them all  See above, mostly - keep plot people if you are INSISTENT on booting them (Bowie, bosses, etc.)

Barbarossa (Suikoden) - KEEP  Plot important, been in a lot...I understand there are arguments about legality, but...he keeps coming up, and people apparently don't unanimously have the same opinion of that, or he'd be gone by now.  If he goes, there are other people I'd be up for kicking based on legality of forms issues  >_>

As for Suikoden and CC...not in support.  Perhaps if you just wanted to keep plot-important and required characters?  Still not in support of culling, though.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »
Imoen did not do well, she drew badly and beat one of the worst halves of light of all time to get that finals appearance and upgrade. Beating Chelsea, Suo, and Tai Ho with that mighty 40% drawing is not impressive.  BG's have failed beyond belief as a FW idea (Both for drawing and interest). I'd love for it to have worked, but it's orginial purpose has failed and failed, etc. Even the group's biggest fans aren't exactly beating down the door to see it in.  We ranked the BGers to give the game and series a chance, and it's not done nearly enough to keep it around.

ATL 4 (Bebedora got a specific mention) - KEEP KHARG AND DARC.  I can see kicking Bebedora...but...eh.  Otherwise, keep Kharg and Darc.  Bebedora going is not something I'll fight against, but keeping the two main characters (who have done decentl enough) is a no brainer for me

Darc's put up a sub 40% drawing total this season.

At this point I don't think rotating out some of the characters who got in one or twice and are forgotten is a bad thing, even from well drawing large cast games. Less 'oh god, that scrub' and struggles to get writeups are always good. Suikoden games are bad about this just due to how many and how many plot PC's there are, but they can't match CC's habit of 'one match and forget' for most of the cast. We're seeing some ugly results when long forgotten fighters are popping back in and failing it up. That is more of SF2's problem though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:28:47 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »
As always I use the last year's worth of votedraw data here. (Amusingly enough, the only game to have no votedraw data AT ALL because nothing has gotten in in over a year is SMRPG...but it has no issues drawing, I would suspect)

Away with the following:

AtL4: Terrible draw, unliked by most.

ToE: Fails worse at draw than the above.

BGs: Utterly atrocious draw.

Brig: Yes, this is getting shot down, but I support booting the DL-worst draw on principle.

Keep anything else for now, mulling invidual characters later. Especially keep Barbarossa, his rune, his power, shows no signs of being possessed at any time surrounding the fight.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 07:47:58 PM »
I was bouncing around a post about some of those games myself. Did ToD/Lufia 1/LoL1 end up that much stronger in practice than the rest?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:49:58 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
Retire Shining Force 1&2, aside from Jogurt, Odd Eye, Max, Bowie, Peter (listed in descending order of importance). Watching them fail it up season after season is getting tiresome; consider this a mercy killing of sorts.

Retire Baldur's Gate. I wish this worked out, but fact is that it didn't, it seriously struggles to get both writers and votes and has no hope of improving in the forseeable future.

Keep the Phantasy Stars. They aren't that eggregious on either vote draw or being robbed.

Retire Barbarossa.

Abstain on everything else mentioned, include AtL4. Part of me wants to keep Bebedora just as a joke but eh... objectively not a great idea.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 02:03:06 AM »
Irenes, Leena, Poshul, and Mojo are not split path. Grobyc is optional and belongs in group 6 of Cmdr's list. Mel is not an obvious recruit and probably belongs in group 10. I would argue that Miki gets a bigger and more memorable plot scene (the concert with Nikki to wake the Black Dragon) than anyone in group 6.

And I would (sadly) add Lorenta to the list of plot-relevant VP1 duellers since her story is pretty much all about Lezard and Mystina. And how did you forget Jelanda for plot importance? Badrach is also around for unmissable plot.
The reason I wouldn't cull Kashell, Aelia, Grey, Lawfer is because they're all connected to Arngrim, and the largest connected character storyline in the game. Grey and Lawfer also have some fun gameplay reasons to be kept.

I will say that some of the CC scrubs do have something going for them, at least. When it comes to duellers with race-weakness-hitting abilities, CC is one of the most diverse cast in terms of 'speciation' to make those abilities worth existing.
Draggy, Harle have the dragon thing covered (though there's more of these in the DL than most races)
Janice is a demi-human/beastman (another common one, so bootable)
Grobyc is a robot (fairly common, bootable)
Poshul is doglike!
Razzly may be the only ranked fairy in the DL?
Irenes (and VP1 Yumei) are the only mermaids I believe...
Starky's an alien
Funguy, NeoFio, Turnip are the only plant-race duellers besides Peco, Spar, and arguably Venusaur? (oh, maybe Exdeath?)
Skelly's one of the few undead characters in Light, which makes lots of healers/priests happy
Mojo...
Pip... there's enough ranked pokemon (and if not, pokemon has better options than Pip)

Cutting all of Shining Force also severely cuts a large percentage of the DL Elf population. As well as driving the Centaur, Birdman, Dwarf, and Halfling population to extinction.

Think of the delicate DL ecosystem!

-Djinn

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 02:52:29 AM »
Not a lot of games I feel strongly on this period; We've actually kept abysmal draws down to a halfway decent minimum, so at least they're not massively DL-wrecking.

Problem's more people nodding them for the sake of nodding them at this point, and several of them being big casts. I still can't bring myself to care too strongly. Still, not entirely against some bootin'.

Arc the Lad 4:

Boot Bebedora. Abstain on the rest. A token of the two mains seems reasonably harmless, but the draw is far too bad for me to say just keep them. Bebedora is a ridiculous person to keep in and not...er, any other given person, from all I can see.

Baldur's Gate(s):

...Yeah, boot. Initially I was going to abstain on this, but in addition to the low votes, it also has a terrible 30% win rate despite multiple duellers that are decent or good for their divisions, or at the very least spoilish. I certainly recall some robberies along these lines, too; For better or for worse, it's not a game people seem to remember the finer points of legality on. Oh well, I really do like the token PC RPG too... ._.

Phantasy Star 1:

Eh, it doesn't get in much and it's a small cast. Vote draw will only get worse but isn't absolutely hideous right now or anything. Abstain.

Phantasy Star 2:

Somewhat worst vote draw than PS1, better overall record, more interesting duellers. The only real thing that makes it cleanly worse than PS1 is that it gets in startlingly large amounts for it's vote draw...mostly due to those interesting duellers. Abstain again, don't really care. Keep Rolf regardless.

Barbarossa:

Boot, headache, has been since forever and has never brought anything to the DL. If people would, like, all agree to allow all three heads and not worry about the plot arguments involved, he'd probably be interesting enough to be worth keeping maybe, but that's like saying if people would agree to keep Ryu 5 with or without Wyrm, he'd be rankable; Neither's happening.

Chrono Cross:

Meh, don't care. It's not offensive to me. Abstain on the idea of trimming(obviously if someone moves to boot the whole thing, I'm hitting them with a stick. Bad dog.).

Shining Force 1/2:

Definitely would support a trim, particularly of Shining Force 2(Which hasn't got a GBA remake.); Both games are pretty hopeless on improvement for voting rights, are old, and lack some the S-E popularity of things like Secret of Mana or the whatever the heck the draw is of Phantasy Star 4.

Full boots aren't a good idea to me and I wouldn't support them. I have no particular opinion of who to keep and don't honestly feel like poring over the lists to generate one right now, though. But yeah, trimming is good, especially the "I get more appearances than multiple FFs" Shining Force 2 is that low and that hopeless on improvement...

Brig:

No. I'm on the fence on many of these, and they have much less interesting duellers, have maybe 5% difference in voting, much larger casts, much larger historical amounts of characters getting in, lose as much or more(Brig nearly has a 50% win ratio), and are often harder for me to get interesting writeups for(Admitably that's a subjective addition that doesn't effect my vote...much.), so.

ToE:

Abstain, don't care. Well, I might get behind booting Rassius; Did we need a headachey temp/boss-that-is-heavily-subtraction-defense-reliant-for-his-damage ranked from this kind of a draw? >_> But I dislike him anyways as a dueller, so.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter