Register

Author Topic: Tourney of Interest Season 7 Week 3  (Read 4645 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Interest Season 7 Week 3
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »
So it's come down to this.  A dungeon... and dragons!

Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga)
Virginia Maxwell (Meeple Fantasy 6) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon)

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)
Dark Hunter (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) vs Zera-Valmar (Grandia II)
Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) vs Marino (Mega Man X: Command Mission)
Radha Byraban (Super Robot Taisen Series) vs Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF)

Middle

Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm)
Tengaar (Suikoden Series) vs Miles 'Tails' Prowler (Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood)
Danette (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Leonardo (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)
Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III)

Closes Sunday
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Interest Season 7 Week 3
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga): Makanda spamming kills both forms. 4 on myria 1 = big crash tinks, meaning she's never getting through the tentacles. 4 on myria 3 before she can access Mjollnir means heat can take a little bit of damage, but myria's not doubling that often so it's a pretty negligible amount. Doesn't help that all of Myria 3's pre-limit magic is either ice or at least partially fire, so she's basically stuck with her physical till then.
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon)

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI): Unless I'm misremembering tony being a straight fighter, magic urn wears him out.

Light

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:59:47 AM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga)- Okay, I guess I'm going to have to go by Myria 3, because I can't give Myria 1 any respect anymore. I'll take Monkey's analysis.

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)
Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) vs Marino (Mega Man X: Command Mission)- Hmm, think Marino comes within like 10% of killing him. Maybe recrunch later.

Middle
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Light

Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- Isadora...may double.
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series)- This a gut. Granted, Collete may not be able to get Lightning res, and Ilyana does counter...or was Colette long and short range?
Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III)- Whoever Keele beat last round must have been bad.
...into the nightfall.

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Heat doesn't like my scaling. Myria likes it less.
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - Boom.

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - Pure stall vs. physical fighter.
Dark Hunter (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) vs Zera-Valmar (Grandia II)
Middle

Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - ID. Flay can't kill in time to stop it, not without severe timed card hijinks I don't see happening.

Light

Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III) - fuck no. no vote.

Dhyer: Sho has issues, interp and otherwise. Like a massive lack of damage. On the other hand, his durability is obscene. I just ended up voting for Keele due to healing, I think there were three votes total so yeah.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:02:39 PM by Taishyr »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
Tony does have NE magic, but it's not very good (to the point where the physical against Gau's Def is probably still better). That fight probably hinges on whether Magic Urn can be broken or not... probably not? But I should figure out how I feel there.

Will vote later.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI)- I only allow Gau starting rages.

Light

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »
Myria, Galcian, Isadora, Lulu.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Handles her game too well.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)

Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - Gets a turn, nothing Arceus can do to stop the ID. Unless Im sorely mistaken.

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - Don't think he can get around Magic Urn, no.
Dark Hunter (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) vs Zera-Valmar (Grandia II) - Kneejerk that Zera is horrible and DH damage is not.
Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) vs Marino (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - ...yeah, thnk I see her just missing the kill before he gets her.
Radha Byraban (Super Robot Taisen Series) vs Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF)

Middle

Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm)
Tengaar (Suikoden Series) vs Miles 'Tails' Prowler (Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood)

Danette (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Leonardo (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Hmm, no counters and FE hates the super evasive?
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - ID, Flay can't kill in time.

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - I have no frikking clue.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - -_-

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Survives opening hit, puts up tentacles and cruises from there?  Don't think Myria's going to get a chance to break through offhand.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - Spoiled?
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - ID?

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - Probably just straight up outslugs.  FF6a Gau durability is stupid.
Dark Hunter (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) vs Zera-Valmar (Grandia II) - lol zera
Radha Byraban (Super Robot Taisen Series) vs Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) - Faster.

Middle

Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm) - Triple Nymph should put this away (one for knock down+one more, one for dizzy, Yukiko skips turn, one more for the kill).  Kind of funny, I thought Yukiko would win due to Iris's damage being lightning but I forgot she had ice.  (Note: If only 2 SP is allowed for Iris, she has an ice elemental weapon for that first hit.  That + 2 Nymphs hitting weakness + Down damage boost should take it with the lower damage average.)
Danette (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Leonardo (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Leonardo's really accurate, so I'm not sure Danette gets the chance to buff up evade  enough.
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - ID.

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Not Vitali.
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Kneejerk.
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - Unless Colette can get lightning resistance this sounds right.
Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III) - Boom~

Taishyr

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:38 PM »
Isn't Tir's ID dark elemental, in theory?

EDIT: Waaaaait, that didn't immune itself. Vote changed.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm) - Triple Nymph should put this away (one for knock down+one more, one for dizzy, Yukiko skips turn, one more for the kill).  Kind of funny, I thought Yukiko would win due to Iris's damage being lightning but I forgot she had ice.  (Note: If only 2 SP is allowed for Iris, she has an ice elemental weapon for that first hit.  That + 2 Nymphs hitting weakness + Down damage boost should take it with the lower damage average.)

Don't know if this makes a difference, but shouldn't the Dizzy resistance accessory at least push Dizzy to the second chain?
...into the nightfall.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »
Don't know if this makes a difference, but shouldn't the Dizzy resistance accessory at least push Dizzy to the second chain?

Does that even do anything if you're nailed by weakness when Down?  I assumed it only did it for the <100% chances (being hit with something other than weakness while down or physical attacks).

Doesn't really matter unless you go by the 2 SP view.  In which case... Iris probably stalls with ice physicals to increase the skill gauge enough to get 4 SP and then uses Faustus+Fanatos?  I dunno.  Actually, she may just hit Burst mode off of physicals (weakness HIGHLY increases burst gain) and then just splats with 4x damage Nymphs before weakness.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:32:23 AM »
S1 soul eater is non-elemental anyway. Dark doesn't even exist in that game.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 02:40:39 AM »
Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Far faster and Big Crash OHKOs tentacles (most things do). Not to mention she 3-2s, so uh.

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - Don't think I see Magic Urn as vulnerable to Break.

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:40 AM »
Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga): Yeah.
Virginia Maxwell (Meeple Fantasy 6) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World): Yep.
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon): ID.

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI): Eh, sure, I'll see Magic Urn as break-immune.
Radha Byraban (Super Robot Taisen Series) vs Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF): Clarissa may double, but by then Sacrifice is no longer good enough anyway?

Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): WEAPON GUARD saves her. 2HKOed, can survive three Isadora attacks most likely... unless she doubles with Killer. Hmm.

Maybe.

Pyro

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:13 AM »
Break immunity is kind of a major thing to give Gau, seeing as how even bosses in MK are vulnerable to it. They resist it, but even they are vulnerable.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »
I don't think the chapter bosses are? I've had some looong battles with them, and can't ever recall their gauges turning even pale red. This compared to most randoms who can be broken in two or three attacks with even modest stun damage.

If I extend that to Gau, then he's being broken so rarely it doesn't matter, since break is just "lose a turn" which isn't an instant win; Tony needs them often to tilt odds in his favour. I think. May be underrating the possibility of Magic Urn failing to heal enough times in a row...

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »
Well. Being attacked under Break also means your attack auto-crits, and MK crits are ITD...
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 01:34:53 AM »
But Break only lasts one round, so by the time Tony gets another turn after using it, he can't take advantage of it any more. It's dangerous in-game because Tony/Renee can break you and then the other can crit (or in the case of many bosses, extra turns granted by timed cards allow similar combos) but not so much in a duel.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:34 AM »
I believe chapter bosses can technically be broken, but some break damage is recovered every turn, so it would be really really hard to actually do.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 03:51:14 AM »
Ah, that makes sense.

Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »
Godlike

Tyr (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga) - Heat.  Big Crash is sucky no matter what, which screws over Tyr1.  Tyr3...don't think can take him down in time, since her electric damage isn't MT.
Virginia Maxwell (Meeple Fantasy 6) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) -  Lady.  Evasion means nothing to Lady.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - Yuri!  Ryu gets stabbed to death.
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - TcDohl.

Heavy

Tony (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Gau (Final Fantasy VI) - Need to play MK!
Dark Hunter (Etrian Odyssey 2: Heroes of Lagaard) vs Zera-Valmar (Grandia II) - And EO2!
Galcian (Skies of Arcadia) vs Marino (Mega Man X: Command Mission) - Marino.  I definitely allow the ID blockers (even if not storebought...I've been doing this in general), and Galcian is generally sucky without ID.  Healing alternation might win this.
Radha Byraban (Super Robot Taisen Series) vs Clarissa Arwin (Wild ARMs XF) - ...uh...Radha, I guess.

Middle

Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm) - FUCK YOU AI3
Tengaar (Suikoden Series) vs Miles 'Tails' Prowler (Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood) - Tails.  Medibot spam owns here.
Danette (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Leonardo (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Need to do more with SN.
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - I hate not having much time to play games anymore ;_;  Fucking pharmacy!

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - ARGH.  GO LAURA!
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Isadora.  Chinahack form.
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - Colette.  I...bleh.
Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III) - Keele.  Lulu is shitastic.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 03:37:57 AM »

Godlike

Myria (Breath of Fire Series) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga)
Virginia Maxwell (Meeple Fantasy 6) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - Virginia equips Gale Claw for the speed boost, Cosmic Cog for the defense boost (and ANOTHER speed boost?!) to buy the first turn. Buffs her Mdef with Shield to tank the initial Double Stock barrage from Umbral. Depending on how well that goes, Ginny can opt to remain at lowish health to boost her physical (dangerous, and not sure how much low health increases her damage output), or she can heal fully with Mystic. After that inital Double stock burst, Ginny should have the speed and resources to keep ahead of Lady and Unbral's ridiculous turns. She can bust their speed if necessary. She definitely can't rely on her physical for the final blow however, because Lady's Malice Dirge would destroy Ginny if she's not at least close to full health. I think it's close, and Ginny has to heal a lot, but I don't see any of Unbral's or Lady's attacks as 2HKOing.
Ryu (Breath of Fire III) vs Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) - think he just one-rounds him.
Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) vs Arceus (Pokémon) - I guess dark defense?

Heavy
Nope.

Middle

Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4) vs Iris Fortner (Atelier Iris 3: Grand Fantasm) - Go Iris! I dunno P4 yet.
Danette (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Leonardo (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Danette's fast enough to go first, that might be good enough.
Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - Gah, I want to play these new games.

Light

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - ridiculous free healing. She'll eventually run out of weapon charges...
Labyrinthia Wordsworth (Wild ARMs XF) vs Isadora (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - haven't played it, but it looks like she wins from the stat topic.
Colette Brunel (Tales of Symphonia) vs Ilyana (Fire Emblem Series) - spoiled?
Keele Ziebel (Tales of Eternia) vs Lulu (Suikoden III) - fail-off. Keele has some interps where he doesn't entirely fail, that's good enough.

-Djinn

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 09:08:52 AM »
Virginia Maxwell (Meeple Fantasy 6) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - Virginia equips Gale Claw for the speed boost, Cosmic Cog for the defense boost (and ANOTHER speed boost?!) to buy the first turn. Buffs her Mdef with Shield to tank the initial Double Stock barrage from Umbral. Depending on how well that goes,

Quote from: Shadow Hearts 3 stat topic
Lost Progress - Dispel, MT; used automatically whenever a stat-booster is used (as in, a free action)

Buffs don't save you against Lady.  They get you raped.

Vitali (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) vs Laura (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - ridiculous free healing. She'll eventually run out of weapon charges...

Yeah.  Free healing means he can't attack.  Ever.  Even so, Laura has Corona, which ignores RES and smacks Vitali's bad HP.  I wouldn't be surprised if that just OHKOd.

Explain?  Colette can't do anything against lightning.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »

Explain?  Colette can't do anything against lightning.

"Spoiled" is probably the wrong way to describe why Ilyana loses. "Beaten into a bloody pulp by someone much faster and stronger and a little more durable" is a better way to put it. If you want to sum that up in a word, "outclassed".