Register

Author Topic: Books  (Read 171986 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #600 on: June 28, 2010, 12:10:06 PM »
I am trying out audio books and crime thrillers at the same time.  Soooo a good portion of the way through this.

Maltese Falcon - And I am fucking absolutely loving this.  The audiobook thing isn't quite working out as I had hoped (I normally do them for books I have already read), I keep finding myself having to rewind a bit when I get distracted and can't just passively listen to it, but I can put up with that, it is the same issue I have listening to podcasts while I work.  The thing that is really shitting me is that I bought it on iTunes.  Not that it is bad quality or anything, and definitely not the price (because fuck the price of audiobooks regularly).  It is the fact that oh my god this is so good I should totally give this to other people to listen to!  Well fuck.  So I might have to buy the book and lend it to my mother if she hasn't already read it.  Not sure how I can con one of my brothers into it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
House of Leaves: Finished in 10 hour marathon session yesterday.

Awesome, awesome book. Not enough
can really be said about it. Yes, there
are some extraneous parts, but on the
whole it really nailed what it set out to
do. The Navidson Record is utterly fantasic,
and Johnny's interludes are always good.
Excellent verisimilitude127 at work throughout.
Contrary to some, I liked how the Whalestoe
Letters wrapped everything[]up. The Pelican
Poems are what I thought were sort of eh.
The parts about the Minotaur were very...
striking, I guess? Fun way to beat your
audience over the head with something

[  ] many                     w
                                    a
                                       y
                                         s
to take the book. Just []akes it even more fun. Easter eggs128 galore. Everyone should read this book.129

________________________________________________________________________________________________________      
127 Verisimilitude is a word Andy likes very much.
129 This is not for you.130
130 But this is.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 06:49:07 AM by Hunter Sopko »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 29, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
Oh good, someone else who has read House of Leaves.  It is awesome, and more people should read it...

...including myself.  It's been...since High School?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 30, 2010, 09:36:52 PM »
Tales of the Dying Earth

Went to the book store. I was going to buy Snow Crash, but I'm in a fantasy mood lately. Neil Gaiman, my favorite author, wrote a story in tribute of Jack Vance. It won an award, I read it, I liked it, so I grabbed this, the compilation of Jack Vance's Dying Earth novels.

Hooray for getting around to reading "classic" SF/F! I'm such a horrible fan sometimes. <_<
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:09 AM »
Tales of the Dying Earth is terrible in all the ways early 20th-century SF/F is terrible -- overwritten and abrupt. It reminds me a bit of Zelazney and the Amber series, except at least the Amber series has a wonderful cast of characters and a terrific main. I say that except that I absolutely loved the Amber series. I just see the resemblance in writing trends -- and Zelzaney had the benefit of 20+ years of refinement in said trend.

Because I'm having such difficulty with it, I picked up Patricia C. Wrede's A Matter of Magic, composed of two Regency magic novellas, and I was thoroughly delighted. The writing was a little bit terrible, but all I ever care about is the character and the novelty of the plot, so it worked well enough to distract me a day or two.

Picked up a paperback copy of Snow Crash at the used book store yesterday, so I daresay I'll get to that before I make much headway with Tales.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 05:32:51 AM by Lady Door »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:46 AM »
Shocking news, Good Omens was as good as hyped and everyone should read it. Going to tackle Anansi boys next.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:30:07 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 07, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
The Maltese Falcon - Cheesey dialogue ending?  Why yes it is.  Is it completely and totally awesome?  Why yes it is.  Fuck yes.  Read this book.  Do not regret purchasing.  Will try another audiobook from iTunes sometime.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 07, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
Shocking news, Good Omens was as good as hyped and everyone should read it. Going to tackle Anansi boys next.

If you haven't read American Gods yet, I'd recommend holding off on Anansi Boys. Not that it's unreadable without it (I did it), but there's a lot in AB that works within the framework that American Gods sets (plus, American Gods is flat better).

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 07, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »

If you haven't read American Gods yet, I'd recommend holding off on Anansi Boys. Not that it's unreadable without it (I did it), but there's a lot in AB that works within the framework that American Gods sets (plus, American Gods is flat better).

Agreed.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 07, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
The Maltese Falcon - Cheesey dialogue ending?  Why yes it is.  Is it completely and totally awesome?  Why yes it is.  Fuck yes.  Read this book.  Do not regret purchasing.  Will try another audiobook from iTunes sometime.

I approve of the Maltese Falcon.

Dashiell Hammett >>> Raymond Chandler; screw what the literary critics say.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »

Agreed.

Thirded. American Gods is the best thing he's produced (aside from Good Omens. On that note, read more Pratchett, aiel).

Also, LD, which Dying Earth book did you read? The first one is a disconnected series of short stories and kind of a jumble, yeah. Cugel stuff is much more worth reading (I think he had two books, but I could be remembering wrong) just for the sheer bastardry. He's not always a magnificent bastard in the tropetastic sense, as that generally implies likability; his disciplined venality is merely constantly inspiring in horrible, horrible ways.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 13, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
Mister Sandman, bring me a treat~

Up to Rose's story. She just left the boarding house to find her brother. Gaiman's storytelling works *much* better in this format to me, it feels like. The visual medium and his style of writing just mesh really nicely.

Edit: The story about the emperor of the united states was great as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:07:08 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 14, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
Also, LD, which Dying Earth book did you read? The first one is a disconnected series of short stories and kind of a jumble, yeah. Cugel stuff is much more worth reading (I think he had two books, but I could be remembering wrong) just for the sheer bastardry. He's not always a magnificent bastard in the tropetastic sense, as that generally implies likability; his disciplined venality is merely constantly inspiring in horrible, horrible ways.

I'm reading Tales of the Dying Earth which compiles The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga, and Rialto the Magnificent. I was speaking of the first tale in The Dying Earth. Having read a little further (though I think I'm still in the first book), I do feel it's evening out a little. I may have been particularly annoyed just because I've been so immersed in current market fiction, which has a VERY different set of style guidelines than stories from Vance's career.

--

Am reading Snow Crash and, holy crap! This is so much better.

I totally get why Anathem read the way it did now. I was flip about Stephenson's devotion to detailing the mythology and history, but it is really what he does. It just happens to work a hell of a lot better in the Snow Crash world (i.e., an envisioned future with things we've never seen before) than in the Anathem world (i.e., a throwback culture with new names for familiar stories).

I dig his devotion to language culture. That, more than anything else, is what kept me going through Anathem, and it's definitely what makes Snow Crash work for me.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 15, 2010, 01:11:50 AM »
In the way of books, mostly been rereading old stuff.  Stalled out on Wheel of time at the end of Crown of Swords, and meandered on to other stuff.  Notably, just finished the four Fool & Dragons books I haven't lent out (also known as Hobb's Trilogy of Trilogies) which consists of Assassin's Quest and the Tawny Man series.  Tawny Man was good stuff, especially the ending and its horribly long denoument, which serves partially to tie up loose ends for the series, but also to tie up loose ends for the survivors.  The best part was going over it, and how well I remembered the first book, but how loosely events in the second two books of the Tawny Man held together.  Fool's Fate especially.

Assassins Quest, on the other hand, wasn't anywhere near as strong.  The first half I enjoyed, given that it's mostly Fitz interacting with the people of the Six Dutchies as he and they try to survive.  And it's basically an adventure as he has a goal to reach, and several obsticles in the way.  Meanwhile, the second half, when he's past the Mountain Kingdom I found much weaker until after he reaches the quarry.  I think because during that stretch, from Jhampe to the quarry the story is more about the mystery of the setting and more pressing concerns, including the characters and their development, get sidetracked.  This struck me as odd because the last time I reread this book I didn't have that issue, and yet, I think that's because by the end of Fool's Fate, most of the questions raised here in Assassin's Quest are resolved, whereas on the second reading before the Tawny Man series was finished, there were still clues to mine, and answers to find.  Either way, this book has left me with a strong desire to reread the first two Assassin books, but I haven't seen the person I lent them to in ages, and am not entirely sure how to get in touch with them, so I'm making due without.

Mostly by moving on to another series that deserves a good rereading.  Just restarted Mistborn, having fun catching all of the things that were either not worth noticing the first time, or which were simply part of the mystery.  Just finished Part 1, and going strong.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 15, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?cat=4

WoT Book 10's ebook cover is out, and it's a good one. (Also the best scene in the book, not that this says a ton)
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:26 AM »
American Gods- Done. It was most enjoyable, though I need to hash over the main plot some in my head.

I'm about 75% of the way through Sandman as well.

Edit: Sandman done!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:02:50 AM by superaielman »
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 22, 2010, 04:31:29 AM »
Summer of Gaiman: I've read Neverwhere, Good Omens, Sandman, and American gods this summer. It's not a complete list of Gaiman's works, but it gives me enough to reflect on.

Cid referred to his works as Alice in Wonderland repackaged. That is certainly true in Neverwhere and American gods, while Good Omens and Sandman are more of a supernatural bent for most of the characters. Gaiman does some things very well. Every single one of his works is just entertaining to read- Gaiman creates vivid settings and uses them to full effect. Neverwhere conjures up images of sewers and the underground, Sandman of Dream's realm, etc.  He also does a good job avoiding loose end. Bit characters appear again and have larger roles, and generally everything has some purpose if it's mentioned. His bit characters in general are well crafted and are memorable. Gaiman definitely recycles material. You can see ideas he touched on in sandman used in later novels. The love goddess working as a stripper/whore stuck out like a sore thumb, and there were others. He also does not give a good mental picture of his characters. Shadow in particular stands out for that, though it may be intentional there.

Neverwhere-

The good: The villians. The main villians of the book are a couple of demonic enforcers who constantly harass the party, and come off as *extremely* threatening the entire time. They are a constant pain in the ass, and never lose that threat value. The main baddie is also a lot of fun- the book throws a couple of good plot twists at you as well. [text=1pt]Islington being the main villian not only was a good plot twist, it makes perfect sense. He needed Richard to get that key for him from the monks, and has his hired flunkies harassing you while Hunter makes sure Richard/Door don't get killed in the mean time.[/text] The scenery was extremely vivid in this book and really helps sell you on the Underworld in which Richard and Door wander through. Door's power is not only interesting, it is used in a fairly logical way. Supporting characters in general were good.

The bad: Richard has zero personality. He's boring and doesn't really have chemistry with anyone. He gets a little better at the end, but for the vast majority of the book he is a passive viewpoint into the world. I didn't much care for the very, very end of the book at first, though my opinion has improved there. Door herself doesn't develop too terribly much. The book is more about showing off the world, and trades character work for those two for more in depth exploration of  the world.

I really liked this book in spite of the problems with the viewpoint character.

Good Omens-

The good: The angel/devil combo and some of the footnotes. The two have great chemistry and some of the best humor is related to them. Adam has a couple of shining moments, and the ending is enjoyable enough.

The bad: The book is always enjoyable to read, sure. It isn't always funny. Some of the substories really aren't that interesting.

The book overall is fun and deserves it's hype, but Prachett is very hit or miss with me if this book is any indication. It is also very readable and doesn't drag, though the main plot itself is a bit of a mess.

Sandman-

The good: Can I put everything? The visuals themselves are striking. The characters are very good, from Dream on down to bit characters like Barbie. The side stories by and large are great, as is everything. The story starts with a band, with Dream recovering his powers. The run could have easily ended at that point, but it then branches out into characters like Rose, who branches out into Barbie, etc. Characters interact and meet and have their own arcs. The comic is definitely aimed at adults in terms of content and material, but it never revels in violence or sex.  It's 77 comics long and generally avoids being boring, which speaks as to the effort at Gaiman put into it.

The bad:  Not enough Death. The inn at the end of all worlds lagged a bit as well.

American Gods:

The good: Chemistry. The book is defined by relationships. Shadow and Laura, Shadow and Wednesday, Shadow and Mulligan, etc. Shadow and his relationships drive this book. The concept itself of the book is fun. A bunch of run down Gods from the old world are trying to survive in a place that is hostile to gods. The writing is as crisp as always.

The bad: THE ENDING. Oh god, what a Sanderson avalanche.  The payoff's good, but everything just slams down at you with way too little time to sort through it. The twists themselves were clever, though the final one is extremely easy to figure out.

Sandman is Gaiman's best work to me, hands down. The books/comics were more than worth the effort to read and are something everyone should take a look at.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:33:02 AM by superaielman »
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 22, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »
*scrolls back to see what she last wrote about*

Snow Crash was pretty great. I was a little disappointed by the ending, but I can't think of an ending that I've really liked in a long while so that sort of short-coming gets a pass for now.

The Somnambulist is an interesting tale. Flat, and not terribly well organized, but the concept is entertaining enough. Will be finishing that tonight, likely, and then...

American Gods reread! Talking to super, I realized I haven't read this since 2003 or so and it's high time I reread Gaiman anyway. Especially since I seem to be in between really good series/authors at the moment.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
Living Dead in Dallas (from the Sookie Stackhouse series that True Blood is based off of):

So...this young woman is dating a vampire, has another friend who is a werecreature/shape-shifter who makes out with her (and whom she finds weirdly warm after making out with a vampire) there have been vampire surgeons in this universe, one of the two main lovers is a mind reader...but the mind-reading doesn't work on the other lover.  I feel like I'm getting deja-vu here.  (*checks* well it predates Twilight, so if there is plagiarism it's on Twilight's end).

In comparison to Twilight it's...R-rated, complete with sex scenes, murders, gay orgie parties.  None of this changes the dynamic all that much.  The big difference comes from the fact that Vampires have gone public in this series, and are somewhat integrated into society (including owning their own businesses) and facing their own version of the KKK.  The other big difference, is that the main human character is competent (to a level that I suppose she could be called a Mary Sue), and if anything it's the Vampire that's the ditz.

Overall, solid; I haven't finished the last few chapters, and I feel like I should find the first book and read that before I really form more distinct opinions.  First impressions are overall positive without being adoring.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 22, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
He also does not give a good mental picture of his characters. Shadow in particular stands out for that, though it may be intentional there.

In this case at least, I think that's very intentional.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 22, 2010, 09:53:02 PM »
I would make the case -- and have before -- that Gaiman does it intentionally in almost every case. He is less interested in telling the story of characters than he is of telling the story of, well, stories.

Taishyr

« Reply #621 on: July 22, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
Reread The Last Dragonlord and Dragon and Phoenix. Good easy reads, pretty much fantasy romance with a definite emphasis on the fantasy end. Also has strong non-stereotypical female characters (LADY MAYHEM, also the lead female) which is nice. Rather like how most the characters are written, in fact, but I'm kinda weird apparently so.

Rereading Otherland now.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 23, 2010, 08:57:22 PM »
The Maltese Falcon - Cheesey dialogue ending?  Why yes it is.  Is it completely and totally awesome?  Why yes it is.  Fuck yes.  Read this book.  Do not regret purchasing.  Will try another audiobook from iTunes sometime.

While I'm thinking about it, are you planning a trip over to John's Grill? Their chops are quite pricey ($30), but it might be worth a look.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 24, 2010, 02:21:59 AM »
I plan nothing, but any suggestions for awesome things to do is a good idea.

Moab is My Washpot by Stephen Fry - Next audio book I am reading, is his biography read by himself which is why I bought it.  I am almost finished it and I am adoring it.  I find it hard to suggest biographies to people, but if you like everything about Stephen Fry it is well worth picking up.  Interesting tales of British public schools in the 50s from a young homosexual.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 26, 2010, 04:40:17 AM »
Anansi boys: >_<. About a fourth of the way through the book. Way to completely recycle Neverwhere's male lead so far, Gaiman. I liked him so much the first time through!

Edit: Finished. I had the opposite reaction El Cid had. The book picked up around the one third mark, and characters I wanted to punch in the face (Spider/Anansi/Fat Charlie) got depth and got far more interesting. The plot is pretty simple, far more than Neverwhere or American Gods. It's helped by how much local flavor from St Andrews soaks through; I want to visit that island now.

Edit2: Yes, I realize St Andrews island doesn't exist. My point stands.

Edit3: Read Stardust today. Great fun, even if doesn't deviate from Gaiman's usual style.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:57:20 AM by superaielman »
-------------------