Register

Author Topic: Books  (Read 167254 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2008, 01:59:00 AM »
Been reading online writing again.

I'll ignore short stories and stuff that's not especially noteworthy.

Kate Draffen -- Is crap for chapters 1-9.  Came across as a cheesy science fiction gimmick with OK execution, but not much depth past that.  I remember when the story was first posted the author asking "should I continue this story?" and me thinking "doesn't matter to me".  Chapters 10-17 start getting pretty interesting, but the main character is being very safe and cautious.  Chapters 18-28 (ongoing)...very emotionally powerful stuff, using a lot of the seemingly one-dimensional characters that were set up in part 1.  The recent updates have consistently impressed me.

Letters From Sky -- Is very unusual.  The entire story is the email outbox of this 13-year-old character.  What really jumped out at me about this writing was the strength of the author's cliffhangers.  It's also surprisingly dark: just about everything happens or has happened to this kid, but at the same time it actually all fits together like a psychological puzzle so none of the shocking events are really forced.  Generally speaking what drives me in novel formats is my emotional connection with the characters, but I didn't feel much of a connection with characters who have only been described from the blatantly biased perspective of a 13-year-old...which really only leaves the main character.  Fortunately it's hard not to like Sky.  Well...okay, let me qualify that: Sky is an angsty, feminine, crippled teenager.  If your name is Super, you probably won't like Sky.  (For the record, the angst moments are justified, and the cripple part is temporary).  Regardless, extremely strong storytelling instincts from the author that kept me reading even when I was a little turned off by the fact that "email format" isn't within my comfort zone for narrative style.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:01:41 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2008, 03:37:52 AM »
Sky is an angsty, feminine, crippled teenager.  If your name is Super, you probably are Sky.  (For the record, the angst moments are because you fail.
Corrected.

Going Postal - This continues to be absolutely damnin of Reaganomics and the environment it has created leaving me wondering what the fuck have we done to ourselves as a society.  Fantastic read, incredibly humanising of the people that commit rage murders without condoning the action itself, it just explains them without just putting it down to an inherent evil of the people that did it.  Well researched and incredibly dark wit throughout.  Awesome read, worth buying.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2008, 12:53:05 AM »
Sky is an angsty, feminine, crippled teenager.  If your name is Super, you probably are Sky.  (For the record, the angst moments are because you fail.
Corrected.
Don't be silly, Grefter.  Super can't be Sky.  Sky is likeable. >_>

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »
Aww look, it's the tranny in a skirt and metroid trying to insult me.  (Don't mind me, I feel legally obligated to respond.)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2008, 05:41:14 AM »
Damnit Grefter, now I'm tempted to download the letters in text format, and find/replace "Sky" with "Super".  I can't even begin to explain how wrong that would be.  It's made worse by my wondering who the other characters could be cast as...(sexual tension between Super and...uhh...probably Zenny, since I'm not sure who else has enough libido to be cast in that role.  Regardless, x_x).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:43:09 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2008, 08:50:03 AM »
Going Postal - So I am up to the first part which there is an excerpt online and as I read it I really want to share it with people.

http://www.exile.ru/articles/detail.php?ARTICLE_ID=7948&IBLOCK_ID=35&phrase_id=17749

So here is the link.  Read it and enjoy.  It is just brilliant writing.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2008, 04:43:51 AM »
Wheel of Time series:  finished.

Let's start with the rants, because it's easier to remember things you disliked.

First, overly long prologues.  In most cases the prologue was more than 10% of the book's length.  Seriously, chapter breaks are good things.  Use them.

Next, TOO MANY CHARACTERS.  "Seven Aes Sedai rode up.  First was Blahga of the Green Ajah, then Blabba of the Blue, then Blakka of the Yellow...  Blahga's warders Billy Joe, Joe Billy, and Reynaldo... they gave their horses to the stableboy Goober and the other stableboy Doober.  Goober and Doober removed the saddles from Blahga's horse Windfarter, then from Blabba's horse Sunpisser..."  Characters show up indeed.

I didn't really see the misogyny that other people claim is present in Jordan's writings.  His female characters aren't as interesting as the males, but he certainly doesn't seem to hate them.

What Jordan did right was create a fully breathing world.  There are rules to the magic and how things work, and he doesn't deviate from them.

My favorite character from the series was, perhaps surprisingly, Asmodean.  He provided an interesting look at the kind of person who was drawn to the Great Lord's power.  Despite the conditions of the situation he was put into, I felt he really was on Rand's side after a while.  My second favorite character was Tuon, because she is a manipulative bitch.

The three boys are really well-done characters also, and the story dragged when one of them wasn't involved.

Unresolved issues:  SPOILARZ AHEAD

Verin:  Whose side is she on?  At times she seems to scream Black Ajah, but at other times she does things that directly oppose them.  She almost seems to be some kind of third party, but... there isn't really a third party in the conflict (that we know of).  Unless she's an Eelfinn.  :)

Ta'veren:  When the boys are introduced as ta'veren, everyone nods and accepts that as a perfectly natural occurance (other than Tuon).  If ta'veren are so common that they're a household word, shouldn't there be more somewhere?  Logain is kind of ta'veren-like, but I think they explicitly state that he's not.  Noal (who apparently is Jain Farstrider) also may be, due to the comment he makes when first meeting Mat ("We both seem to have the Dark One's own luck.").  But he doesn't seem to be drawing any unnatural things his way currently.  So why aren't there any more?

Mazraim Taim:  Well, he's not really unresolved.  The comment he makes at the end of Book 11 pretty much guarantees he's a Darkfriend.

Rand's eyesight problem:  This was only touched on briefly.  But is he somehow tapping into the True Power and acquiring saa?

Anyway, good series overall, and I continue to find the last sentence of About the Author amusing every time I read it.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2008, 04:51:37 AM »
The prolouges are often the only looks at the forsaken and other differing viewpoints. Definitely enjoy those in all the novels.

Verin- Is not a dark friend. She very explicitly avoids lying in the Path of Daggers prologue and some of her earlier actions (She gives Egwene the dream ter'angreal but not the notes) also hint towards it. I think she knows something about the last battle-

Ta'veren- Basically are spun out when the wheel needs heroes. Jordan's said they can't be darkfriends and they're pretty much a way for the pattern to balance the advantages the bad guys have. Or: The only three of note in the main story are the boys.

Rand- Speculation is that Rand's post 7 book sickness is from some weird merging with Moradin from the dual balefire streams in Shadar Logoth. We do know Rand does go blind for a time, so that would make sense.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2008, 05:00:23 AM »
The general issue with Jordan females is that tend to come across as massive misandrist (ie man-hating) and generally exceptionally assertive.  Or, in simpler terms, that he writes females as man-hating bitches which is then taken as a statement against women.

Hard to say how accurate that really is, but certainly the balance of power between the genders is a recurring issue in the books (clearest example is the Aes Sedai and how they treat men in general), which is going to ruffle feathers either way.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2008, 06:16:06 AM »
The counterpoint is that of the major female protagonists, the closest we have to misandry is Nynave and Elaida.  One is prickly towards everyone, and Elaida is generally shown to be less than competant and not precisely a role model either.  And the Red Ajah doesn't really count considering what their profession is.  Something like that is bound to be very attractive to those who don't especially care for men in the first place.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:57 PM »
There is misogyny in writing all the women with almost the same 2 personalities of varying shades along that basic scale, pretty much every male to female interaction functions on an extremely narrow approach.  I don't think it was sexism any more than just one of his down sides as a writer though.

Logain isn't quite a Ta'veren, there is varying degrees in importance to the pattern though and he (like many other main characters) are very important to the weave.  While they may not practically warp reality by existing, they are rocks in the storm that normal people cling to.

And just have to chime in with the fact that I am not a fan on Mazrim Taim plot, it has run its course already and still isn't resolved.  If one of his regents had done the shit he had done Rand would have had them done away with at this point quite frankly.  He doesn't need him with Logain.  Why he couldn't spare the 10 minutes to open up a gate inside Taim's belly and set Logain loose on his left over pets is quite simply beyond me.  It is somethign I was waiting to be sorted out the whole time I was reading the second last book.  All that is left is for us to wait for the inevitable betrayal at Tarmon Gaidon now and that is just going to be dull from all I can see, the drama will be entirely hollow because Taim has been pretty explicitly a scummy fuck since he first turned up, he practically may as well have a top hat, waxed moustache and tie maidens down in front of the newly invented horseless carts.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2008, 01:47:39 PM »
Taim's going to be dealt with before that.
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Which brings to question, if it is going to be dealt with prior to Tarmon Gaidon why the fuck wasn't it dealt with last book?  Losing half his Ashaman at that point is just as devestating to his overall plan as it is later on just prior to the event.  It is one of his pacing flaws showing up again.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »
Yeah, not going to argue that point. Taim should have been dealt with in book 11. (The book 11 stuff should've been in book 10, same with the Perrin arc). Oh well.
-------------------

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:04 AM »
Twilight:  Movie's coming out, figured I check out the book and see what the hype is about.  Teenage girl + vampires?  Yeah, this is gonna be terrible...

... and it's not terrible.  In fact, it's damned good.  Really good writing style, and it doesn't contain emo angst like every other book with vampires ever.  Literally couldn't put the book down, and am already planning to go to the store tomorrow and get the rest of the books.  Yeah, it's that good.

Seems like it would adapt to a movie fairly well, so here's hoping the movie doesn't suck.  Ha ha.  Suck... Vampires...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
Twilight:  Movie's coming out, figured I check out the book and see what the hype is about.  Teenage girl + vampires?  Yeah, this is gonna be terrible...

... and it's not terrible.  In fact, it's damned good.  Really good writing style, and it doesn't contain emo angst like every other book with vampires ever.  Literally couldn't put the book down, and am already planning to go to the store tomorrow and get the rest of the books.  Yeah, it's that good.

Seems like it would adapt to a movie fairly well, so here's hoping the movie doesn't suck.  Ha ha.  Suck... Vampires...

And, aside from the "can't put it down," that was the complete opposite of my experience.

I thought the storytelling was good, and it was well-paced, but as I remarked to Andrew after I finished it, it sounded like someone on FictionPress wrote it to fulfill their vampire fantasies. And I just don't see how or why it deserves a movie.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »
Ha.  Everyone I know who talked about Twilight hated it remarkably.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:18 AM »
Doesn't help that the commercials make the movie look like it has the worst acting ever.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »
Book was ok. Bella/Edward may give off Richard/Kahlan vibes and I can see why it might be popular to hate the series because of that but Jasper/Alice and Carlisle were quite awesme~
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:25:51 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Bella/Edward may give off Richard/Kahlan vibes and I can see why it might be popular to hate the series

You mean other than the fact that is about vampires and most of the imagery surrounding it is pretty much packaged as returfed Anne Rice right?  (Not saying anything about the books, just the way they are put out there)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:52 PM »
New Moon:  Okay, remember all the emo angst that wasn't in Twilight?  They saved it up and cram it into the first half of this one.  And it's practically unbearable.  Bella, get a fucking life.

And then Jacob comes along and the book picks up along with Bella's spirits.  The second half of the book is quite good.  Aro for the win.

One thing I like about these books is that they're in the style of the "classic" romances.  Twilight is an homage to Pride and Prejudice, and this one is Romeo and Juliet.  I'm guessing the third one will be Wuthering Heights...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »
Going Postal - So yeah I have finished this.  It is an amazing read that I really have to hold up along the same lines as Discipline and Punishment: Birth of the Prison by Foucault.  This is incredibly high praise.  Just the formatting though, to start from a singular early point in history and extrapolate the effects of them and the other phenomenon showing how they have developped and what causes them.  Where Foucault did it for the Prison system and schools and the medical institution Mark Ames has done it for slavery, Reaganomics, workplace and school massacres (which the book is about obviously) and goes on to show how it even just is the cause of increased stress at high school which leads to cheating and all the other fun ick stuff that is going on at high schools (especially upper middle class ones).

The latter half of the book and its close examination of the fallout of Columbine and the other massacres prior to it and after it along with September 11 2001's effect on the school Massacre phenomenon will ring incredibly true with people in my age range who were old enough to be in high school at the time of the Columbine massacre and the zero tolerance over the top security fears that came with it.  It is really an amazing read, his writing style is calm and very basic vocabulary unlike Foucault which makes the work far more approachable and not just a book for Sociologists (this makes sense, Mark Ames is a journalist).

Absolutely highly reccomend this book to anyone with an interest in what makes people tick and modern society.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/732/300k WoT info.

Also, finished Mistborn. Sanderson's a good writer (Eh at battle scenes, but oh well). Really thought he did a good job with both the setting and the magic in this world. A dystopian fantasy setting done well? Coooooool.
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »
Discipline and Punish - Borrowed this from work today. Just starting it. 'bout time I got started on something by Foucault.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2008, 12:29:21 AM »
Been reading the Wayfarer Redemption because I found the first one a couple months ago when I was bored and waiting for Andrew while conveniently next to a bookstore. It was interesting enough, so I finished it a little while ago, then picked up books 2 and 3.

My editing brain was on fire from trying to hold the brakes down. These things have MASSIVELY bad editing for an MPPB. Dropped periods (hahah), improper formatting, changing spelling, missing/wrong punctuation... argh. There are at least 3-4 mistakes PER CHAPTER, and this is an epic fantasy series we're talking about here. That's a lot of mistakes.

Once I managed to get past THAT, however, I found a series which is pretty much like every other epic fantasy series ever written. World in peril, Prophecy Walking, caricature of EBIL Christianity, foreign races based on common fantasy tropes (not gnomes and dwarves and elves, but people who live in the trees and have Tree Magic and people with wings who have magic), gods among men, strong women, rags to riches, et cetera. The only thing that keeps me interested -- and it has done so enough that I've purchased the fourth book -- is the particular weave of the mythos. There's something about the world and the history of it and its particular brand of magic and its manifestation that has me so intrigued I'm willing to shut up the part of my brain which dies a little every time there is a misspelled location. I mean, dude. I get typos. They happen. But changing the name of your city to something similar but then not making sure all future references to that city are the same word? NOT COOL.

Yeah. Also reading Mercedes Lackey's Joust series. Dragons + jousting = win! I have a weak spot for friendly dragon stories (except, no, I refuse to touch Tamora Pierce) and these read STRONGLY like Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon trilogy, complete with the desert landscape, the raising of dragons for fighting and profit, and the political strife. I think I'm liking the overall story in the Joust series more than in the Pit Dragon trilogy just because there's something that squicks me out about reading from the point of view of guerillas and rebels.

Dunno.

Anyway. On book 2 in that series now.

I think the main reason I read so much fantasy is because I read so damn fast and I hate trying to find a new series. I'm a really loyal reader and when I find an author I like, I stick with them until I've read up everything they've written. Then I mope about despondently looking at other books when I go to the bookstore until some happenstance introduces me to something new.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots