Register

Author Topic: Books  (Read 171502 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
Read Lackey's gryphon books in high school, original Valdemar trilogy a couple years later. Thought it was pretty unremarkable mainstream fantasy, personally.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
I've only been exposed to the soT books and haven't read any of the others. Blame it on some chick I was dating always talking about richard and his sexy beard, blah blah blah.

I enjoyed the first 2 books. The goriness was kind of unexpected. The only other fantasy books I have ever read were Narnia, LoTR type stuff. It seemed like the adult versions of everything.

and all of you hush, the apple scene is/was amazing.

~

Going to start reading a couple of books my brother wanted me to read, notably, "Brave New World."
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Taishyr

« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »
You know, every time I think of an apple scene I think of The Illuminatus! Trilogy.

And remember part of how I figured out I was asexual.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 15, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
Mobile Suit Gundam: Awakening

It's... the same characters, and basically the same story, only all the details are different from the anime. Tomino's attention to detail and sense of humor both translated quite well, though he can go off on a tangent at times, and loves his technical details.

Also, very short, as the three individual books make up the actual length of a full novel.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 15, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
So I'm about 2/3-3/4 of the way through The Outstretched Shadow. Overall? It's kind of meh.

That it's team-written is ridiculously obvious, a saddening fact. It seems to be targeted for the, ahem, denser set of fantasy readers -- the main character is himself dense. Though this could have been handled well (and indeed it was somewhat refreshing to see a character that isn't secretly competent at everything except token skill X), the narrative is often third-person focused on this character, so his very belated discoveries come pages and pages, if not chapters, after the reader has figured it out. Since the book is a bildungsroman of sorts, this is problematic.

As ever with fantasy I don't particularly like, however, I'm enjoying the world in which it's set. The characters are nifty too, I just don't think the book is a cohesive effort.

C+.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »
I have three books that I want to finish by the end of the summer; Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb which I got for my birthday, Ender's Shadow, and Animal Farm. It's been a while since I've really read much of anything, so we'll see how lofty this goal is.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2009, 03:41:28 AM »
I'd suggest Animal Farm first.  Pretty short, and a good book classic that will probably be more beneficial to have knowledge of than the others.

Also makes Grefter happy.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:59 AM »
Finished Outstretched Shadow right around May 21 and it's about how I typed it in my partial review. I'll get around to reading the other books in the trilogy, but I'm not particularly motivated.

Since then:

New Moon from the Twilight series. I can't help it -- I like vampire/werewolf stories and I hate being out of the loop on book hype for people my age. I remember the first one was like eating a sugar cube: pretty basically structured, thin on the outside, gives you a temporary rush and has no substance whatsoever. This book is the same. And yet... I am looking forward to the next book. Side rant: AHMGOD romance heroines are dippy. Fuck.

About A Boy. Meh? It was okay. I totally didn't realize the author was British, so that really threw me for a loop. Once I found that out (and it's pretty obvious early on), it read like a British novel. Don't ask me to explain that, it was just... typical of British fiction.

Ella Minnow Pea HOLY SAT WORDS, BATMAN. I bought it because it was $1 and I remembered selling a few copies for high school reading back when I worked at Barnes and Noble. It's intriguing, and I love that someone thought to use the epistolary format. I couldn't shake the feeling it was a book with an Agenda, though, which really took away from the story. The SAT words also annoyed me to no end. Vocabulary is one thing, but Jesus.

Guns of Avalon I really love Roger Zelazny, and it's because of the Princes of Amber series. I read it a long time ago (maybe 10 years? goddamnit, I'm too young to refer back to things like that) and I recently picked it up again because Andrew's dad bought the first book for Andrew. I'll note, by the way, that Andrew hasn't touched it yet. Heathen. ;_;

What's up next: a lot of other trashy novels I picked up. House of Sand and Fog, Damia, The Ship Who Did Something Or Other (Anne McCaffrey), and whatever else I pick up along the way.

CAN YOU TELL I'VE MISSED READING FOR FUN?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2009, 04:49:30 AM »
Sanderson has a new novel out next month (Warbreaker), that sounds good.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
New Moon from the Twilight series. I can't help it -- I like vampire/werewolf stories and I hate being out of the loop on book hype for people my age.

Wait, you're fifteen years old? </badumpissssssssssh>

I know that was mean and that I just lost twenty years of my life span for the joke, but I couldn't resist it.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #335 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:55 PM »
Wait? Twilight's -not- directed at 15-year-olds?

I'm seriously asking this. I recently read half of the first book, and if that's not directed at 15-year-old girls and under, I'm going to be very very depressed.

I'm not trying to be elitist. I'm well aware that there must be some kind of audience for meaningless romance/vampire fluff. I mean, I like meaningless action fluff, so I assume that Twilight is the female equivalent in book form.

...But honestly, it read like a children's story. And not even a particularly well-written one. The whole experience was just kind of frustrating, but I know that I'm not the target audience.

I don't know how old LD is, and I don't think there's anything wrong with someone older reading something that targets a younger audience, but I was honestly under the impression that Twilight was a YA novel aimed at 13-15 year-olds.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 30, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
Wait? Twilight's -not- directed at 15-year-olds?

Implying that LD is a vapid fifteen-year-old (when she's actually not and she's also totally awesome) was the underlying joke. That will presumably get me choked by the hands of death.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #337 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
Andy is Death? ... well, does explain the catgirl thing.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 30, 2009, 05:27:52 PM »
No, Ashley is Death. Andy is just a cuddly little Flareon.

Taishyr

« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
I am now picturing Sandman Death rubbing a Flareon's fur and calling it "Peachy Keen".

This is an awesome image.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 30, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »
I dunno, I prefer "The hands of fate have doomed this man" as a reference to illustrate Snow's impending demise. But I also never read Sandman.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 30, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
<_<

"People my age" refers to anyone under 25 (and I'm 23, so I still count). That Twilight was written for tweens/young teens is not the point. That it was written as if by a tween/young teen is also not the point. Simple fact is that people my age do read it, and thus I feel out of the loop if I know nothing.

I'll also have you know my mother read all 4 of them. ;) (And she's who I usually get my reading material from, and it really isn't typical Twilight fare either, tyvm.)

Besides. Age-appropriate material is lame. If I did that, I wouldn't've watched It when I was 9 and thus had coulrophobia defined for me.

As Andrew says, apparently I will have to kill someone at the DL just to make a point. XD

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 30, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
As Andrew says, apparently I will have to kill someone at the DL just to make a point. XD

...man, making me feel even worse about not being able to go :P
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 30, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »
You really want her to kill you?
...into the nightfall.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 30, 2009, 10:55:13 PM »
My bet is that, in true DL fashion, she'll Hatbot the decision, leading to Andy's untimely demise.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2009, 02:06:23 AM »
Besides. Age-appropriate material is lame. If I did that, I wouldn't've watched It when I was 9 and thus had coulrophobia defined for me.

Hahaha. Am I the only one who watched it back then and didn't become afraid of clowns?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2009, 05:54:19 AM »
Sopko that just means that you are destined to be a clown.

I'm not trying to be elitist.

Why not?

Also
But I also never read Sandman.

You should get that fixed.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2009, 06:04:03 AM »
I'm not trying to be elitist.

Why not?

It doesn't suit me.

And more importantly, that wasn't the tone I wanted my question to convey.

Besides, people have covered (with far better humor than mine) the problems with the Twilight series. It's been said, and I had a different question to ask.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
The Chronicles of The Black Company by Glen Cook- Finished The Black Company (book 1) and enjoyed it despite some minor annoyances.

Finished Shadows Linger (book 2) today and I feel the need to say something. Keep in mind, overall, I'm really digging this. Just, fuck you for doing that, Glen Cook. Just, fuck you. I don't care if you really did or didn't kill that character off. That was one of the more epic instances I've seen of trolling in a fantasy novel in quite a while. Just... what the fuck, man.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »

Hahaha. Am I the only one who watched it back then and didn't become afraid of clowns?

Forget that, try watching the animated Watership Down when you're 4 and not being terrified of bunnies.

EDIT:

...yeah, I was 4.  That's years of therapy you're looking at right there.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:35:42 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!