Author Topic: Books  (Read 171484 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Books
« Reply #375 on: July 07, 2009, 03:57:32 AM »
Grammar Nazi note: A judge is disinterested in the case before him because he has no "interests" in either side.  Biff is uninterested in literature because he is a bore and would rather spend his time at the truck-stop.

Huh. After some research I can see that Grefter and Tai are in fact, disinterested in sex as they have no personal stake in the matter.

But I'm not sure whether to classify them as 'uninterested' in sex thanks to potentially different meanings there. On the one hand, they have claimed an interest in the process and culture of it, but no desire of the act. 'To be interested in' it can mean both of these things, though. *Grumbles* Damn imperfect English language.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »
Got through four or five books since last post.

Now:

I've started re-reading Wheel of Time! I have about until 5 or 6, IIRC, before I catch up to where I last stopped. Am about 10 chapters in to #1. I do remember why I originally enjoyed it. It's just the stamina required to keep slogging through...
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Idun

« Reply #377 on: August 06, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »
I am starting on Les Miserables.

Bless my heart. I'm trying to figure out a way to read this behemoth and keep it in pristine condition, as it's the short, super fat copy. I don't like bent pages or anything, so this will indeed be a chore.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
Am now into #3 of WoT. Jordan's insistence on pet phrases is VERY evident (I should count the number of times I've read "The truth an Aes Sedai tells is not necessarily the truth you hear" or whatever it is), but I like him despite this. Even being aware of it as I am in this read through, there are moments where I don't realize I've just read 150 pages in which NOTHING HAPPENS until way later. In fact, it wasn't until the end of the previous books that I stopped and went, "Wait, we only moved a few weeks?" and stared at the 600+ page book in confusion.

Have also been reading the Dresden Files. They are sufficiently amusing! Definitely what they are, though, which is to say a super-pulpy wizardly twist on the detective novel.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
Have also been reading the Dresden Files. They are sufficiently amusing! Definitely what they are, though, which is to say a super-pulpy wizardly twist on the detective novel, in which the author consistently strives to somehow make Harry's life worse each and every chapter and, with astonishing frequency, succeeds at making the poor guy the single most abused fantasy character I've read in a long while. Seriously, the guy needs a hug..

Fixed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 08:29:34 PM by The King in Yellow »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »
Well who doesn't need a hug?

Read and finished Elantris whilst travelling for DLCon.  Probably the only fantasy novel I've read I'm willing to call fast-paced.  Each chapter has a distinct feel of moving the story, and while sometimes chapters do retread on events in the immediately proceeding chapter, I don't recall ever feeling this was overdone and that it generally was important to do so.  The ending feels at certain points like Sanderson realized he'd planned to leave in sequel hooks (so he could make one later if he had the time/cause) but hadn't actually done very many, so they all come in at a rush, but this isn't too bad really.  Since said hooks are more "there's a lot more to this world that's just outside the scope of this story" than "the story hasn't even started, stay tuned!", it's not really offensive, just feels a little blatant at times.

For the aiels, I will note that this book makes it very obvious why this guy was tapped to turn Jordan's notes into an actual book and I feel he'll do an excellent job.  Hurray!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »
Reading Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. Goddamn, yes.

Taishyr

« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
Finished Stitches, by David Small. Technically hasn't come out for publication yet, but my dad went to the huge library convention and picked it up.

It's a visual novel - pretty much literal, it looks from the outside entirely like a book, but the entire thing is drawn out for the most part. And the story? Both awesome and depressing, which is made all the more intimidating because it's autobiographical - about his childhood.

Once it comes out, I'll be hyping it/kicking people into reading it. It's a short but great read.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2009, 09:59:33 PM »
I think the start of The Shadow Rising (book 4, WoT) is one of my favorites.

Bardiche

« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
I read "Nobody's Boy" by Hector Malot about eleven years ago last.

I've recently begun reading it again. What have I begun.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 13, 2009, 04:34:54 AM »
I think the start of The Shadow Rising (book 4, WoT) is one of my favorites.

It does own pretty hard. The entire book is incredibly good, but the setup of book 4 splits up all the mains to their various paths and really sets up the rest of the series.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Idun

« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »
Out of all of my behemoth readings for Art History courses that has deterred my reading on Les Miserables, the Women Artists class is being taught through Whitney Chadwick's Women, Art and Society. It's a stark contrast to the Guerrilla Girls' Bedside Companion.

It's one of the largest, and first aggregate art historical attempts at reassessing women artists in terms of the general European Art History canon of male genius, opportunity and fine arts. Therefore, it's clearly taking upon a social history lens in evaluating the circumstances of women and their exclusion from what created the contemporary refined images that represented geographical regions then and now. It uses an art historical approach, but I find the discourse of individual pieces of artworks, both formally and iconographically, are discussed in a short summary approach that skids over what the female artists actually depict. Women, Art and Society then becomes less of an evaluation of their works rather than the historically relevant material that explains the works' receptions, creation and ideology.

This isn't necessarily bad. Perhaps removing the evaluative aspect skillfully dodges the issue of the consistent labeling in the book of women artists. Many of Chadwick's helpers listed in the bibliography are Feminists and the book is clearly taking issue at the integration of women specifically in the field of man made art history, but it's far from the stereotypical bra-burning and facetiously sarcastic tone that the Guerrilla Girls make. Though women artists is extensively an exclusive term insinuating either triviality of importance, termed, perhaps it is dually beneficial to emphasize the term women artists. Artists, by historical writings, discourse, jargon, societal fashioning supported civically, religiously and societally, is a male of random genius who has either received training through guilds, or through divine influence that reflects generational aspirations in the artisan skill of crafting. Women, unless born in a household of a father who runs a guild, are barred from all involvement and public discussions of said generational aspirations. If they were assistants in guilds, they were typically dissuaded to sign their name only adding the anonymity of some extremely popular images said to be made by men [but later discovered not to be, by men, and then de-valued based on sex]. And somewhere throughout the elevation of painting and sculpture through the beginning of Renaissance time and now in Western-based countries, craft became much more feminine, less skill intensive and then relegated the household and domain of woman.

It's interesting. It's depressing. There's so many multifaceted ways in which it is clear that women were purposefully stunted by men and put on a lower ladder of achievement. Sure there are exceptions, such as learning, painting, illuminated texts - that was stopped by men so they could preserve their gender-ized notion of women being sexually, intellectually inferior and that they should focus on the womanly and childish domain of cooking, etc. There are women in pre, med, and proto medieval times who through feudalism began owning much of what men decided only men should own, and then stunted. The male gaze and adoption of that theory, or some would say, natural fashioning that extends throughout the sexes due to a male-based society still exists today.

Issues directly with the book would be the compounded amount of information. It'd be unfair to assume Chadwick could extensively cover each woman artist with the same amount of attention, but she generally throws out terms, names and etc. all within a chapter with non-mentioned terms. It lacks cohesiveness. For example, her Other Renaissance chapter covers perhaps, six female artists, yet the specificities of their work is overshadowed by Chadwick's attempt to include all guild names, with little background, allusions to male artists in parallels of painterly execution, with little background and so forth. It gives off the sense of convolution, when it shouldn't.

This is helping me answer Linda Nochlin's, "Why have there been no great women artists?" question. Sure, if you go by what I said, the definition of artist, which leads to master, is continually a tradition of being a male. Therefore, there are no great women artists as great women artists did not exist. But this is not true, clearly as there are some women with more skill that Coello, or with more proliferation than many of their contemporaries WITH the lack of patronage/commissions. There are great women artists. But why are these great women artists completely ignored by even contemporary male art historians who do not want to adulterate the tradition of art history or take the time in including women artists in their discourse for the sake of purity? THAT, is the question Linda Nochlin! There are no great women artists if people do not care to consistently project them as such. But that answer is tentative as I haven't even proceeded to approach the modern years of art historical methodizing. Proof of existence clearly doesn't mandate inclusion in this field.  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:39:20 PM by Idun »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #387 on: August 31, 2009, 03:04:52 AM »
Read Elantris, despite the fact that super recommended it. ;)

The book does some really awesome things in its exploration of religion and holy wars, particularly with Hrathen, who could have been the best Knight Templar ever if they hadn't gone and redeemed him at the end. It was nice to see the role played out by someone with an actual personality and clarity of mind. But in the end, they cop out and make him turn against his original views. Sanderson does this skillfully - no one is ever 'out of character' throughout the novel, I just dislike his decision to fully paint the Derethi religion as 'evil' at the end, whereas throughout the novel Hrathen had stood as a good example of a decent man of the religion.

Sanderson also does a brilliant job crafting political intrigue and I found myself more interested in Sarene's story than the more fantasy-themed struggle in Elantris with Raoden and Galloden.

Sarene in general, despite being overall a little too perfect, was really well done and far more believable than Raoden.

Still, great novel, seems to be set up to have a sequel? A++ would read againthe sequel.

-----
No internet means lots of time to read!

I finished the Tiffany Aching series of Discworld books from Terry Pratchett and I'm disappointed to say that I can't find a single thing wrong with them. They pretty much represent my perfect idea of children's literature and even manage to poke fun at Harry Potter without breaking the fourth wall. That's skillful, Mr. Pratchett.

Well... the Feegle were a little too over-the-top sometimes. After the first book I tended to forget they were there anyway... >.>;;

Good stuff, though. Recommended to anyone here who hasn't already read everything that Terry Pratchett has ever wrote...

Bouke

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
Last book I finished was Jacques le Fataliste et son maitre, by Denis Diderot.
It's an anti-novel in the same vein as Don Guijote, albeit a lot shorter (thankfully. One can only handle so much 1000+ pgs. tomes).
Diderot of course, was a famous 18th century French novelist and philosopher.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:45:34 PM by Bouke »

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 31, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
Reading is going to come to a crawl for the next couple weeks because I have an editing project, but in the meantime:

Am about halfway through Wheel of Time #6. In my previous try circa high school, I think I must have stopped reading at roughly three-quarters of the way through #5 because this read started including a lot of things I didn't remember. Why the hell did I stop there? That's where all the action was!

In any case, I am still mostly enjoying it. I have pet peeves when it comes to writing styles and Jordan is really good at triggering many of them along the way. Though the story is very gendered by necessity, it feels hollow most of the time. I suspect this is primarily on account of Jordan trying too damn hard. The relationship between the genders in Wheel of Time is ridiculously stereotypical. The women think the men do nothing but drink or fight, and men think the women do nothing but gossip and try to control their men. I swear I want to slap every female who says Rand's got a big head someone should pop.

I think it boils down to none of the characters being more than self-aware, and it really, really bugs me when the whole arc is supposed to be about world-changing events in a magic system that is so driven by gendered relationships. Perhaps Jordan is more clever than I give him credit for and these bubbles that everyone lives in are exactly the point, and the Dragon Reborn is supposed to free everyone to move beyond their own space (literally and figuratively), but... Rand is just as bad as any of them about it, and the manifestation of his madness is this rabid repetition that I am unsure whether to peg on great characterization or an author's inability to get to the fucking point, thus requiring incessant reminders.

I will say that taking 200 pages to fully recap the previous book and the series as a whole is exactly why this series feels like it drags on forever. Forex, I feel like I don't need to be reminded what it's like for a female to embrace the Source the first time it happens in EVERY book.

Despite all this, I am enjoying the read. However it's handled, the magic system is intriguing and the characters who have grown from its use or influence are interesting. I love me an epic, world-changing fantasy plot.

(By the way, I preordered Sanderson's Wheel of Time book on Amazon. The release date got moved up a week, woo!)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 01, 2009, 01:48:09 AM »
Despite all this, I am enjoying the read.

Par for the course.  By book seven, you'll be saying "Just get on with it jesus Jordan holy crap did you REALLY just introduce a new plot thread that won't be resolved for 5 books?"  and by book 8 you'll be all "Fuck this I'm going to read something that sucks less."

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
Annoyingly, he does pick up in book 9, but it really isn't enough.  The next book is much better about it and book 11 has lots happen.  It is kind of worth it and hopefully it ultimately pays off.  None of this excuses book 7 and 8 in the slightest though, they really needed some editting with an axe and he needed to be told to finish shit already.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bouke

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 01, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »
I gave Jordan the finger halfway through book 9. I vaguely remember being somewhat entertained during books 4, 5 and 6, and miraculously survived (albeit painfully) books 7 & 8. But after that I simply couldn't be bothered anymore.
I don't even remember the reason, all this having happened a very long time ago. Don't know exactly, you'd have to check to see when book 9 was released. Around that time anyway.

Other than that, the only fantasy I'd now even consider finish reading would be ASOIAF. But everyone knows that's never ever going to happen since Martin loves his conventions and blueberry pie (or whatever) too much to be bothered to pick up a pen and piece of paper (or typewriter, or pc).

To go back to a conversation I had with Grefter;

Bouke - "Btw is Martin ever going to finish Dance?"
The Great - "Fuck no."

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 01, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
Bah. Put down the fantasy for a bit and read some good, hard sci-fi. Like the Mars Trilogy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 02, 2009, 08:40:52 AM »
Surely I have hyped Mars Trilogy at Bouke before.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 02, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
That was a general hyping for everyone who fails horribly at taste hasn't read it

Bouke

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 02, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »
Never even heard of it  :(

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 02, 2009, 01:35:21 PM »
Not that it was really necessary to make a liar out of Grefter, but I appreciate the effort all the same.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 02, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »
It is a fairly hard sci fi series about old people having sex in space and colonizing Mars.  Really good character study, really good study on a lot of stuff that was up and coming Science concepts in the 80s (and still quite compelling today), brilliant world building on top of the good character studies and after having read them a couple of times I consider the gradual shift in writing style to match the ongoing age and growth of the characters to be absofuckinglutely amazing.

Kim Stanley Robinson hype for like the third time this year.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »
CS Friedman- When True Night Falls. Didn't post when I finished the first book in the trilogy because it was just okay to me. The series stands out for it's really unique and dark setting, but I don't think she really utilized the potential enough. Anyways, despite being ridiculously similar to the first book in structure, the second book had a much more impactful ending.
...into the nightfall.