Author Topic: Random Mafia - Be Afraid...Very Afraid  (Read 52183 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Random Mafia - Be Afraid...Very Afraid
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
Also, Smodge's Role Claim is enough to make me do this:

##Unvote: Smodge

Yeah, he might be playing a bad game, but given his role does seem consistent with what he was trying to give as far as connections go, for now I feel its believable.

Though, time for another possibly pointless connection idea, again, I have little to go off of, and I'm just going to list it now:

All revealed characters have been Male.  Zenny's Sir Robin (assuming this is indeed a Role claim, and not just him being random, would need to see the post again), Smodge's Hercule and Carth's Eliwood.  This goes along with my own character as well...

which is to say, there is one exception to the above: Otter being Shion.  With this in mind, said female was also the only Scum we found.

Again, I'm just trying to make sense of things, and I wouldn't hold it against OK to do a Male vs. Female Mafia cause its just so him (no offense to OK.)  Feel free to dispute this point if you will.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
It's not hard to read,
and I think it makes the game
quite a bit more fun.

Excal beat me to this:
STOP BEING LOATHE TO HAMMER!
Seriously now.

Vote still on Smodge here.
He's offered no real defense.
I'll be gone today.

Only thing he's said
is "my statements did no harm!"
which is just untrue

for reasons explained
yesterday, today, go read
all my posts on him.

At BEST he's playing
very weird and smokescreening
more worthwhile things.

Even if he thinks
what he did wasn't scummy
it isn't harmless.

(Aggressive?  Sure am.
I find it gets more results,
folks slip under fire.)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
##Vote: Andrew
##Unvote: Andrew
##Vote: Ciato
##Unvote: Ciato
##Vote: Yakko
##Unvote: Yakko

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:48 PM »
Silence'd? Ahhh, I see.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »
Also good Zenny for letting it be clear that you are silenced, unlike Cor in the WoT game. Zenny feels like the perfect target for this too. Quite interesting, I say. I think I trust Zenny here that he's a townie who has been silenced as opposed to scum, but I suppose that's just a gutshot.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2008, 07:19:08 PM »
Someone mind telling me what silenced means exactly? I take it is someone's role power that allows the person to speak only to vote and unvote, and do absolutely nothing else?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
Correct.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
Wait wait no. I misread you. It's a scum power that you can choose one person a night to silence, and that can't do anything but vote and unvote for that day. Used mostly to try to hang lurkers.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2008, 07:39:18 PM »
Breaking character for a moment, is it really that hard to read what I'm saying?  I'm not trying to deliberately confuse things, I'm just trying to have a little fun in a Mafia game for a change, I've been taking them too seriously lately and they just haven't been feeling like games to me. <_<  If it seriously bothers people I'll stop, I'm just screwing around.

It's not bothering me.  I like the flavor to be honest.  but it does make it a bit hard to get a good read.  I still need to go back and re-read the posts (stupid need to sleep).  Some more in depth looking at people would be more helpful to get a read on you by, though.

All of his "detailed analysis" have been focusing on one singular target.  I really strongly disagree with this being any type of town vibe at all; quite the contary in my view, in fact. Targetting someone who twists their words around themselves at times --> profit for scum. Coming off as a good little townie in the process. I know Andrew has used the aggressively attack tactics (being the first person to vote someone, rather than joining a wagon.)

Well, as far as that goes, my own 'detailed analysis' is only on Smodge at the moment because he's the only one sertting off my scum warning system hard enough to warrant deeper attention.  Because someone focuses only on a single person does not make it bad town play.  That analysis is actually quite helpful because it focuses town's attention on someone.  Scum can use this, too, yes, but town should give good detailed analysis of their thoughts on people when they start to get a vibe one way or another.

All revealed characters have been Male.  Zenny's Sir Robin (assuming this is indeed a Role claim, and not just him being random, would need to see the post again), Smodge's Hercule and Carth's Eliwood.  This goes along with my own character as well...

which is to say, there is one exception to the above: Otter being Shion.  With this in mind, said female was also the only Scum we found.

*steals Meeple's crack pipe.  No more for you.*

OK.  Now, to break this down.  If I were scum and my fellow scums and I were all girls and we started to realize that the only towniea were guys, do you HONESTLY think that it wouldn't occur to me that OK had split the lines gender wise and we'd start saying we were guys, too?  Only an incredibly stupid scum would announce they were a girl until a townie had also made that claim and thus proved the hypothesis wrong.  And this assumes that OK did not give the scum safe people to use as roleclaims.  That's happened in a few games I know.  And how random would it be if all the guys were good and all the girls were bad?

---------------
Zenny's silence.  Interesting.  I'm not sure I'm believing it, but I think it's made me be more wary of pushing a scum tell off him at the moment.  We'll see.

And how people are backing off Smodge for a vanilla roleclaim I'll never know.  I mean, if he was suspicious before enough for you to vote for him, how does his sudden vanilla-ness make him less so?  I mean, if he changes you mind by his arguments, then that's one thing.  But a vanilla roleclaim alone?  Could someone explain the logic of why that should change a person's vote?  Please?
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
Well, the thing is, lets assume that's true...its more than likely that:

A. Scum already knew the Male/Female break.  This would be obvious given they'd have gained a bunch of proper safety claims to fall back on.  So really, it changes nothing; it just means that we know at least what the hell is going on with OK's mind or something.

B. Its possible they didn't know, which means they likely didn't get any safety claims to fall back on.  As a result, one of them could slip in a role claim that someone else already has, and get caught that way when someone else counter claims (given it'd be "Lynch one, if wrong one, the other gets lynched next day." situation.)

It doesn't really help us, no...but at the same time, I don't see how it benefits scum much.  Yeah, ok, so if they now know the connection, they know what to claim and try to be safe...but the thing is, if they claim something they *KNOW* is Safe, likely, it was on a list of safe claims.  I know when I played scum for Suikomafia, we had a list of about 10 characters who were safe cover ups.  Chances are, they already had that, and if they didn't realize the connection, it doesn't get them any further, as I'm sure those safe cover ups already fit the bill anyway, and they'd be using them REGARDLESS.  If they don't have them?  Well, they'd still have to be careful not to claim a role that someone else doesn't have.

Really, yeah, it was kind of a pointless statement all things considered, but still felt like I should toss it out regardless.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2008, 09:03:16 PM »
Well.  That was unexpected.  Very good for Camelot, but unexpected. 

Now.  Let's see, the people who did vote for Brave Sir Robin need to be looked at... maybe.  If it were that simple, the scum would really suck at this game.

I'm frankly more concerned about the people who voted for Otter.  What better way to try to distance yourself from scumbuddies than to vote for them?  I'm not sure who's more suspicious in that group.  Smodge seems fairly suspicious, but I have a gut feeling that he's town for reasons why I blew off the debate he was in earlier:  debates that take up the first day are often between townies. 

In any case, we don't necessarily get too much information off of Otter's scum-alignment because he got voted out for lurking.  Bleh.

##Vote: Zenthor

...He wasn't silenced when he wrote this on early day 2. Unless there is a time-delay silence, he's playing a really weird gambit.

...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »
...Dhyer brings up a good point.

Not sure how we overlooked that.  With that in mind...

Either Zenny was hit with some sort of "You can only speak once" thing and neglected to warn us (or he learned after he spoke), he broke the rules and OK didn't catch it (being silenced means you get Modkilled if you break it, I take it?), or he's lurking and trying to pretend its silencing.

So yeah, now Zenny suddenly seems suspicious.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
That pronouncement certainly creates a significant amount of suspicion of armored meatbag.  This unit currently sees no reason for midday change in method of communication.

##Vote:Zenthor

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »
Um yeah I missed that post. That seems like an exceptionally weird thing to not mention in a post if you only had one post, so now I'm fairly convinced that he is just trying to use it as an excuse to not have to post content.

##UNVOTE: Andrew
##VOTE: Zenthor

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2008, 09:36:23 PM »
Midday silence is weird and I don't buy it, especially in a board game! *smites*

##Unvote: Smodge
##Vote: Zenny

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2008, 11:14:15 PM »
Heheh.  Okay, here's the skinny.

Sorry, town.  I'm just... maybe burned out, maybe simply apathetic, to play this game seriously, so I've been f-cking around the entire time. I almost asked OK to get a replacement, but apathy isn't exactly the best reason. 

Let's go ahead and get me out of here so you people can actually play.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2008, 11:17:29 PM »
In any case, before I go, I do think it's a bit strange that Ciato and Quietrain simply took me at my word that I was silenced, but I'm not sure if that's poor scum acting or just townies not being overly meticulous.  Good Dhyer. 

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2008, 11:59:21 PM »
That's 6 votes right? We need 7 to hammer? I'm assuming it's not hammer yet, because nobody has called it.

Guys, for the record (if it wasn't obvious) I took my vote off Smodge because I was alarmed at the prospect of quickhammer so early in the day, when nothing else had been discussed. See: Excal

Now, we're kinda doing it again? Well, it looks like Zenny has slipped up, and this is the second day we've been suspicious of him...
Y'know, I still think there are others that havn't posted? Maybe follow this up in day 3.

I'm a little concerned that nobody is talking about Excal nearly hammering Smodge, but maybe thats just a playstyle difference. Anyway, I'm sus of Excal, but also Yakumo for talking about post-style right after it all happened, and Ciato went along with it. Looked like a diversion...
My other suspicions? See also: the Smodge train, and Smodge himself.

Anyway, what really annoys me is this whole "I can't be bothered to play" crap. It's ruining the game for me.. I might not be the best player, but I put in the effort >.>
Let's go ahead and get me out of here so you people can actually play.
It's so very frustrating that we have to waste a lynch on this.

I'm deciding it's hammer time.

*punches Zenny in the face with his chin*
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2008, 12:11:16 AM »
I know that's hammer, but this is pissing me off.  WHY DOES A DAY HAVE TO GO TO DAEDLINE JUST BECAUSE IT CAN?!  This is precisely WHY we've got the stupid rule about having to reach hammer to lynch, because otherwise people just mill about and wait to be talked out of doing what we need to do, which is lynch the people we think are scum.  Seriously, a hammer isn't a bad thing!  That's what the town has to do to win!  We can't win if we mill around and let the scum talk us out of lynching them every     ing time.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »
Hammer, no more talking.
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
Thanks Hal.  Lion King ran way, way longer than it was supposed to.

And thus, another was down.

Throughout the day, cries against the one called Smodge, rife with ridicule as Hercule, showered the day.  He was nearly to death, when someone else made a voice heard, "Zenthor is suspicious!  Look at him!  He hasn't posted!  He's...lying!"

Suddenly, the tides turned. 

But with his cover blown, Brave Sir Robin boldly did the thing he did best.

He ran. 

Somehow, despite being in an alternate dimension, despite there being nowhere to actually run to in the void of space around them, Brave and Bold Sir Robin Bravely Ran Away.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said of his minstrels. 

Zenthor (Brave Sir Robin, The Not Quite As Brave As Sir Lancelot, GOOD AND JUST) has run away!

1) Quietrain (0):
3) Tai
4) EvilTom (0):
5) Smodge (3): <Andrew>, Alex, <Meeple>, QuietRain, <EvilTom>, Excal
6) Dhyerwolf (0):
7) Alex (0):
9) Yakumo (0):
10) Ciato
11) Meeple (0):
12) Andrew (1): <EvilTom>, Smodge, <Ciato>
13) Excal (0):
14) Zenny (7): Dhyer, Meeple, Yakumo, Ciato, Andrew, Zenny, EvilTom

Night actions, send them in!

Also, as a reminder, from now on, days will require hammers for a kill.  If you do not reach a hammer by the deadline, there will BE NO LYNCH.  This starts when the next day comes in, as soon as I get all the night actions.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2008, 01:35:25 AM »
With the flight of Brave Sir Robin the group fell into despair. 

But then the day came, and there was much rejoicing.

Waiting to see who had been obliterated over night, the entire group was met with surprise as none of the number at been killed over night.  Whether it be the will of the gods or the fortitude provided by the minstrel meat, everyone rejoiced at this happy state of affairs

1) Quietrain
2) Tai
3) EvilTom 
4) Smodge
5) Dhyerwolf 
6) Alex 
7) Yakumo 
8) Ciato
9) Meeple
10) Andrew
11) Excal

With 11 alive, it takes 6 to kill.

Day 3 will end on Tuesday, January 15th at ~8:30pm EST (in 48 hours).  If no majority is reached for a kill, then the day will end with NO KILL. 

Happy Hunting.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:41:33 AM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2008, 01:41:50 AM »
...well, ok, that's some good news.  From the looks of things, my guess is we have a Doc somewhere, and we got lucky.  Losing Zenny is ashame, but we lost only one Town vs. the expected 2, and Zenny wasn't doing a particularly large amount anyway.

So...umm...guess we should pick up where we left off from the last day?  Given it ended abruptly in the "Zenny just screwed up badly, lynch him!" and it backfired, we don't really have much more to go on than what we did day 2, near as I can tell.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2008, 01:51:42 AM »
Well, that was stupid.
Does anyone else want to
suicide themselves?

Or can we get to
actually playing the game,
finally?  Hope so.

My ##Vote: Smodge is back,
now that we've gotten past that
small interruption.

Meeple's not quite right,
it could be a doctor, sure,
but could be roleblock.

Either doc knows an
innocent, or roleblocker
knows that they hit scum.

Or bulletproof worked.
Lots of possibilities.
Roles shouldn't come out.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2008, 01:53:50 AM »
Wow.  Good juju for once.  No NK means a little less info to work from, but more time and more people on our side.  Altogether, a good state of affairs.

Gate and I are tabletopping tonight, but I will go back through everything and see where my thoughts take me when I get into work tomorrow.  Just a quick thing before handing the comp back to the GM:

And how people are backing off Smodge for a vanilla roleclaim I'll never know.  I mean, if he was suspicious before enough for you to vote for him, how does his sudden vanilla-ness make him less so?  I mean, if he changes you mind by his arguments, then that's one thing.  But a vanilla roleclaim alone?  Could someone explain the logic of why that should change a person's vote?  Please?

I would still like a response to this for people.  I know my mind hasn't changed yet.  ##Vote Smodge
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"