Author Topic: Simpsons Mafia GAME OVER - TOWN WIN  (Read 39951 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Simpsons Mafia DAY FIVE
« Reply #350 on: March 13, 2009, 09:02:20 PM »
The town turned as one towards it's most recognizable resident. Bart, for all his devilishness, had been trying to point the finger at his father the whole time. But do you really want to believe the "I Didn't Do It" boy? But finally, they stood up and take notice.

Both Apu and Homer claimed to be utterly bulletproof. Apu had simply to open his shirt and reveal his chest. A lesser man would have died from all those bullet wounds. Homer, for his part, produced a surgical 2x4 to have people wail on him with. To their credit, they both turned out to be telling the truth... so what was it?

That was when Bart produced the most damning piece of evidence: Homer's Stonecutter robes! Of course! It was so simple! The one trying to put the Stonecutters back together was none other than the Chosen One himself! Well, if he wanted to be a Stonecutter so bad, he'll die a Stonecutter.

They summarily attached the Stone of Shame to Homer's ankle and threw him into Springfield Gorge. Normally Homer would survive this, but he also normally doesn't have a one-ton boulder attached to his ankle to finish him off.

They all live happily ever after... until the next episode when everything went back to normal.

Votecount:
Snowfire (3): EvilTom, Cid, Delta

Snowfire AKA Homer Simpson, SCUM GODFATHER, was lynched!

TOWN WINS

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Autumn Surgery Gall
« Reply #351 on: March 13, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »
Wooo. Just as sort-of-planned.

Bardiche

Re: Simpsons Mafia GAME OVER - TOWN WIN
« Reply #352 on: March 13, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »
... Well! Andy, Snow and Meeple, then.

I was off the mark, I was sure it was Cid. Admittedly I stopped paying attention to this after my demise, but eh.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 13, 2009, 09:12:41 PM »
This is where I celebrate not singlehandedly dooming town. Go me.

Very curious to hear the scum team's version of what happened day one.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 13, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
Well, it went around in circles a few times, but we got there in the end... Eventually. =P
I was in the middle of writing a long post before Delta voted, but that was essentially saying we couldn't lose after the double Bulletproof claim.
I'm interested in knowing if the Godfather had any role powers aside from being bulletproof - because, otherwise, we had only one shot and two Bulletproofs, which strikes me as a bit odd. =P

Waiting for Sopko's role PM post to check this~

I'm quite happy to have found Andy - it was a gambit and a half for me to try getting the votes switched last minute, but I'm glad it paid off. =P

And... well, this was definitely fun for my first Mafia game ever. Hopefully, I won't be so incompetent in the next one. XD

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
I messed up in Succinct mafia, and accidentally gave scum the win. This is a little payback. My first game that I have lived to the end and won. Woo.
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »

I was off the mark, I was sure it was Cid.

Anonymafia is going to haunt me forever, isn't it?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 13, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
The Setup:
SCUM
Homer Simpson, SCUM GODFATHER
Chief Clancy Wiggum, SCUM ROLECOP
Groundskeeper Willie, VANILLA SCUM

TOWN
Maggie Simpson, TOWN ONE-SHOT VIGILANTE
Apu Nahasapeemapetalon, BULLETPROOF TOWN
Leonard Leonardson, TOWN LIMITED MASON
Carl Carlson, TOWN LIMITED MASON
C. Montgomery Burns, VANILLA TOWN.
Bart Simpson, VANILLA TOWN.
Dr. Julius Hibbert, VANILLA TOWN
Dr. Nick Riviera, VANILLA TOWN
Principal Seymour Skinner, VANILLA TOWN
Milhouse Van Houten, VANILLA TOWN

I promised a non-rolemadness game. Non-standard setup, though! Lots of vanilla. Some mindgames planted in their concerning roles and flavor. Roles were more or less appropriate to characters... for some. Originally I had Lenny and Carl having to find each other, but I nixed that when I realized I forgot a mass roleclaim would eliminate that part, so I just started them off being able to talk to each other. Same with Wiggum. He was going to be a Slow Cop that found out stuff in the order of Flavor -> Role.

It's slightly pro-town, but fair. Scum got unlucky having Meeple lynched day one, and also having the Vigilante target the same person that the nightkill was. Granted, better than scum's original target that night, the Bulletproof townie.

All in all a good game. Some hilarity in there, but overall decent. I had Superintendant Chalmers and Lisa in there as vanilla scum and town in case we got to 15. Also played with the idea of making Bart a Watcher, but decided against it.

I'll post the role PMs later.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 13, 2009, 09:21:19 PM »
I'm interested in knowing if the Godfather had any role powers aside from being bulletproof - because, otherwise, we had only one shot and two Bulletproofs, which strikes me as a bit odd. =P

Nope. Just the normal Godfather powers. It was mostly in there for the Bulletproof and to make scum think that there would be a cop. This made the Vig's job of tagging scum a lot harder, since only 2 out of the 3 were hittable targets.

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »
I was almost dying to tell you guys that I was bulletproof, but in the end, it seems to have worked to town's advantage for me to keep it under wraps.
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
SuperNINTENDO Chalmers. Also, little disappointed I never got an excuse to yell NOT LENNY.

Anyway, last mafia game I'll be playing for a long while. Pretty clearly not something I should get involved in while unemployed, as I've been rather scarily obsessive over the past week or so (as various non-players can attest to since I've had a tendency to corner people in IRC PM and bitch about how town wasn't listening to me, none of which conversations do me any favors in retrospect). Can only hope Excal didn't take anything personally; suspect he was fairly pissed by the end just on account of how many of his own arguments he contradicted in his last big post.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
Whooo town!  Good game all around.  Thanks to everyone.

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Marble Rink Trumpet
« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2009, 09:28:57 PM »
Excal:

I tried my best for you, man. I really did.

I am still mildly miffed from when Xanth put us in three-way sudden death, since it didn't particularly make town's job easier, I suppose that it is all in the past now, but still annoys me. Excal's self-hammer too.

Best thing I was involved with in that game, dude. It turned a town versus town race into a scum lynch. Come on.

Snow: re: godfather bulletproofing: traditionally whichever scum goes on the kill loses their powers for that night. When you're down to one scum there's nothing to worry about being roleblocked or getting a bad cop reading or the like. I guess godfather might retain bulletproof anyway depending on the reading, but I certainly fired it off without expecting as much.

And yeah, Cid's push for Excal after Andy died effectively cleared him, as I'd have been distraught if the final scum would have done that.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
Xanth: Is that from Ga-Rei Zero?

Cid: TRUST ME. I wanted to do that SO BADLY. I had to stop myself over and over from trying to suggest to scum that they kill Tom.

I'm also disappointed that Xanth didn't shoot Cid.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »
I'm still kind of surprised they didn't do it night 3, him being confirmed townie and all. I guess Snowfire thought Rat was hiding a power role or something? Or just that he assumed there'd be a doc sitting on Tom. That seems more likely.

Bardiche

« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:34 PM »

No, I just found it eerie you kept agreeing with me.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 13, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
Good game. Sorry I had to drop out; last week was a real shit show. Props to Yoshiken for aptly carrying the Bartman's mantle and getting everyone over how non-present I'd had to be at the game's outset.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 13, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »

Well, you kept being right!

Bardiche

« Reply #368 on: March 13, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »

Well, you kept being right!

I found it so beflabbergasting that you thought I was right I was sure you were scum trying to paint me into a scumbuddy. D:

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:52 PM »
So. Comments? Was the set-up good? Can I be trusted to run a game again?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 13, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Major WIFOM there, Bard. Bad!

Soppy: yeah, the setup was fine. It's good to have things confound player expectations sometimes (in regards to what specific roles they assume will be there, I mean). I laughed my ass off day two when I realized what Alex/Tom's roles probably were. (I'm guessing scum thought Alex was a cop?)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 13, 2009, 10:39:18 PM »
Nah, nothing personal, Cid.  Just, you were giving me old Alex vibes with the relentlessness and that odd "I'm using logic, how can I be wrong!?" thing he had.  There's just something about expecting players in a social game to be relentlessly logical while they are human instead of Vulcan that just doesn't compute in my head.  Regardless, I had a pretty good feeling you wouldn't really chase after anyone else while I was alive, and I a) wasn't having all that much fun, and b) was going to be somewhat busy and therefore not much help, so I figured the self hammer would let you be more useful undistracted than the two of us distracted would be.

Hmmm...  Star Trek Mafia?

Anyways, good game all.  And glad to see town won.

PS: Yoshi, one of your quotes against me day 4?  The one where you asked why you were a suspect for me despite starting the Andi train?  At the time of that quote, you hadn't started the train yet.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
PS: Yoshi, one of your quotes against me day 4?  The one where you asked why you were a suspect for me despite starting the Andi train?  At the time of that quote, you hadn't started the train yet.

Wow, failed to notice that. I'm assuming that's the one where you said me/Andy as remaining scum?
Hmm, same logic still applies, methinks - Andy had (presumably) already started the train against me, I'm guessing. (I can't actually find the post you said that in now, but I'm also not looking too hard any more, now that the game's finished. =P)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:21 AM »
I know that my little twerp StragoYoshiKenBart thinks he's the star, but he's got another thing coming when/if I leave the stage.  Reality will come crashing down, along with ratings.  You were warned!

Don't say you weren't warned!  You (sorta) killed me, and look, it's all over!  Burns, you could finally have moved up in the ranks and become Number 2, and you threw it all away.

Also I'm surprised you all fell for the Maggie doll that I buried in the mud flats next to the big sign saying "dig here for body."  Obviously wouldn't kill my own daughter!  She was just grounded until she's 13 or so.  Out after her bedtime helping daddy kill the principal?  I'm flattered she wants to take after her dad and run around killing people, but Marge insisted that there be SOME punishment for that kind of behavior, so she's not leaving her room for awhile.

Pretty fun game all in all (with one exception), even if a bunch of extreme longshots somehow managed to misfire.  I hope that Andy isn't mad.  I should preface this retrospective first with a bit of Mafia philosophy: the goal is to win the game, not survive the longest.  It's easy to apply when you're town - if you're a cop, reveal your data at some point even if you'll die for sure the next night - but somewhat trickier as Mafia.  As the Godfather, I figured it was likely I'd be one of the last scum standing.  There's no point in surviving until the last 3 / last 5 and then getting voted down there; to survive the final showdown, the mafia needs two things to happen: the cop should be dead, and you should be squeaky-clean.  Like, not just "not under suspicion," but "actively towny."  As a result, I resolved to basically play a straight-up town game, possibly with the only difference being steering suspicion away from my scumbuddies at opportune times.  (Nothing new in this, I'm sure.)  So...  a short-term play for a scumfriend's survival makes no sense.  It might save them for one round, but I wanted to have an impeccable record of opposing townie lynches and (eventually) supporting scum lynches to make me less likely to be lynched at the end.

Well, that was the plan, at least.

Okay. 

Day 1: Okay, this is the one exception mentioned above.  I had no idea that a mere one-hour extension request would get turned down.  The scheduling ended up being profoundly bad here, as I missed the entire second half of Day 1.  If Day 1 had been 72 hours (like apparently will be true for Pokemon mafia), it wouldn't have been so bad, but I ended up only contributing on the mostly worthless first half.  And I was unable to affect the situation until we were in SD.  General maintenance request for future GMs: Yes, scheduling is important and all, but....  this kind of thing should be avoided.

Of course, the biggest change in hypothetical better-for-scum Day 1 wasn't actually my play, but Meeple's.  In retrospect, the fake copclaim needed to be earlier (or at the same time with the extension).  The extension would have given us time for Carthrat to switch his vote (which happened before 7:00), but so would copclaiming earlier, I suppose.  I probably would have been willing to jump on the anti-Xanth train as well if we'd wanted to avoid having to fake copclaim, but there was no time.

As for my play?  Well the Bardiche mistake was a legitimate, SnowFire mistake.  I'm not sure why El Cid and some others thought things like accidentally voting Bardiche was scummy (the lurker-hunting idea in general, perhaps), especially when I instantly reversed myself.  I dunno, I don't really see comments like that can even potentially be part of some DARK SCUM PLOT.  That was me being blind.  (Same with failing to notice Delta's vote against Excal on Day 3, too.)

Why didn't I hammer Xanth?  Meeple had already copclaimed and Xanth had already fallen on his sword, with Alex offering to hammer.  Somebody hammering a copclaim?  What are the odds of that?  What could possibly go wrong?

Oh.

That.

(Tough rules call, I admit.  Really no good answers for that one.  Though I'd have picked the "retroactively grant an extension not in sudden death anymore" one, obviously, which is why I was trying to switch the lynch at all.)

It wasn't a total disaster since neither Andrew nor I were on the Xanth train and we got some minor cred for that, but argh.  I will say that my response ended up being the same as Townie SF - I really wouldn't have bought the anti-Xanth case as a townie, so to thine own heart be true.

Also, Xanth's reluctance to roleclaim told me at least that he had a role he couldn't reveal for some reason.  The biggest of these would be Miller and Bulletproof.  Either way, I wanted to leave Xanth alive, so he dropped way down on the "to kill" list.   (In retrospect it makes total sense that Xanth would want to save that ability, too.)

Another comment: a bit of a metagaming, but I was expecting far higher roles than there were.  My original PM said Meeple was vanilla, then in IRC Sopko mentioned how he used to be a slowcop but got upgraded to a rolecop.  I figured that there had to be, at the very least, a cop or a doctor.  Maybe both.

Bardiche was first on the Meeple train and was being complimented by people, and we didn't really have any read on where power roles might be.

Day 2:

Things went better today.  I was pleasantly surprised that Alex and Xanth nearly called me confirmed townie.  And...  better to find out about the masons sooner rather than later.  Unfortunate that Andy didn't return in time to recast his vote and thus look townier, but I can guarantee that this was a coincidental issue - he did make it back, but mentioned to scumchat that he was completely zonked from the day.

Also, I suppose it would have been better for scum for a dual Excal lynch - Ryogo modkill, but meh to modkills, so I'm glad things happened as they did.

Why kill Sir Alex?  El Cid was somewhat on point when he thought that a newbie might have taken Alex to be a weak copclaim.  It's not quite that - both Andy and I thought he was a mason - but it didn't matter.  I had no confidence in making a case against the Alex / Tom combination (i.e. they're mafia pretending to be masons) and figured it was likely for the cop to investigate them if we left them alive.  So we had to kill one of them off, and Alex was potentially the cop trying to slide under the radar as a mason.  Best to play it safe.

Day 3:

First off, very nice work Yoshi.  I realized as soon as I wrote the Andy piece that I'd been a bit too defensive of him, and you hit on that well.  Picked up what was going on completely.  Then for some reason people started suspecting you for the same reason people suspected me on Day 1- meaningless minor mistakes.  I...  wouldn't have bought that at all as a townie (hence my excuse of "gut" to vote you.)

But what a late-day disaster for scum.  Partially my fault, I will admit.  I framed the discussion fairly well, I thought - the logic that El Cid hit on made sense.  Xanth thought that one of Yoshi or Andy was scum, so I initially favored an Excal lynch at first to drag things out.  However I got greedy in the morning as I saw the Yoshi lynch gain steam.  Excal had already claimed vanilla, but I had no read on Yoshi's roleiness.  If I pushed Yoshi's lynch, he might feel obligated to roleclaim, even if Excal eventually died.  It was 4-3 Yoshi-Excal when I left, with Yoshi yet to cast a vote - so 4-4.  What could go wrong?

Amusingly enough, I actually was back for a bit around noon when I saw things moving toward sudden death.  I had returned because I figured that either Excal or Yoshiken would be dead, and I would confirm who looked the most cop-like as to kill in the night.  And...  things still looked okay!  Yoshiken, citing self-preservation, could have hammered Excal.  Instead he boldly stuck to his guns.  Wow.  Andy needed to get back, hammer Excal, then be lynched the next day (well, really shot by Xanth (?), but I didn't know that)...  but he didn't make it back in time.  And if I stepped forward to confirm Yoshi's theory by "protecting" Andy and hammering a townie....  yeah that would get me killed in the later rounds after Andy flipped.  So many things could have lynched someone else - but ack.  And Yoshi instantly nigh-proves himself a townie, too.

The plan had been that I'd turn on Andy to prove my towniness either Day 4, or, if people were more pro-Andy, Day 5.  Then coast on that.  Well...  there goes that, as Yoshi / Xanth / El Cid collect the credit.

Why'd I ax Carthrat?  Yeah, hunting for power roles, pretty much.  The worst possible case is the cop revealing himself and saying "J'accuse, lynch one of us and see the flip!," and letting that happen would be suicide.  Alternatively there was a doc sitting on Tom.  Alternatively both of these were true.  So yeah.  I almost shot Deltaflyer because Carthrat had spoken up in favor of Andy, but Andy just got lynched, so I suppose that wasn't an issue anymore.  And...  at this point, I was absolutely certain El Cid was vanilla, so that left only Delta & Carth of unknown role.

Day 4:
Collect Excal lynch, curse my bad luck, prepare for the bitter end.  Still, my other shot target would have been Delta, so it's not like the dual kill was that bad.  And it was cute, at least!

Xanth needed to die for catching on to my game, and the fact that he was possibly lying about having only one shot.  He was about as cleared as Tom after he revealed his breadcrumbs anyway.  And no, I wasn't bulletproof when doing a nightkill, so you could have shot me toward the end, I believe.

Day 5
Pull an Excal's Day 4, because that's the townie thing to do, hope that people freak out and have bad vibes or something.  Good on town for discipline to ignore that, plus eventually putting the pieces together that Day 1 wasn't nearly as Day1y as it looked.

Had we lynched Delta...  I'd have shot Tom, of course (now knowing there were no docs), and prayed Yoshi bought my "El Cid is an evil genius" theory.  Which likely would have worked, actually, had it been true, so somebody should definitely try that sometime and actively lynch all their buddies.

Well, that's my story at least.  Good game; events like Day 1 and Day 3's finale are pretty darn rare, so it's fun to see how they turn out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:44:42 AM by SnowFire »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2009, 01:42:18 AM »
And oh yes.  You're darn lucky you didn't use the catapult; as noted in the flavor text, Homer likely would have survived it.  My Plan B was likely to call up Hank Scorpio again and see if I could help out with the whole conquest of the East Coast thing.  And Yoshi, you were absolutely correct about the actual episode I was referring to about how "my role is that from a particular episode."  Yes, the Stonecutters one.

One more obligatory comment, since I'd carefully avoided using it before:

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!