Author Topic: PokeMafia - Day 4  (Read 46060 times)

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
PokeMafia - Day 4
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
The world of Pokemon is varied, with hundreds upon hundreds of Pokemon types living varied and enthusiastic lives.  Whether wild, employed or being trained by a Trainer, Pokemon are the creatures that make the world go round.  But no world is idyllic.

When it was rumored  that Team Magma, that had attempted to create a world of pure land, had survived their first defeat by a singularly powerful trainer, at first no one thought they were a renewed threat.  Then came rumors that Magma was attempting to retrieve an ancient relic in the sands of a previously unknown island chain.  Dozens of trainers and their Pokemon flew at once to prevent whatever evil plots they were planning. 

But tragedy struck.  A group of thirty trainers and Pokemon found each other at the entrance to the temple that held the ancient relic.  It was the legends of this relic that first inspired the Pokeball technology.  It is said that the stone that was laid to rest in the ancient temple can command any Pokemon, even the ancient Legendaries and creator Pokemon.  As the battle began, with the Magma members dressed as normal Trainers to allay suspicion, a horrible earthquake rattled the island.  People and Pokemon were tossed about and many were drowned and crushed by falling debris.  At the end, only twenty Pokemon and not a single trainer remained alive.

But Pokemon are not mere animals.  They know what is at stake.  If any of the remaining Pokemon served Magma, they will undoubtedly delve into the temple to retrieve the relic for their master’s Team.  And the good Pokemon that remained knew they could never allow it.  But just who…was who?  For any Pokemon can be good…or evil if trained wrong.  The twenty Pokemon looked at each other and began to try to decipher just who among them was friend and who was foe. 

And while no Pokemon truly dies in these battles, it is possible to overwhelm them with attacks and leave them so injured as to be unable to do anything.  There IS no Pokemon Center on this island to heal them back.  By the time you heal on your own, everything will be over.  Hopefully for the best.

NOTE: Some of these rules HAVE been changed from the standard.  Please read them.
- The game begins during day phase.  One night phase has already occurred and the results of which have been transmitted to those who took actions (if any).  No NKs will be allowed during the first night phase.
- A Wall of Words 20th lvl caster is not only unfun to type, it’s abhorrent to read.  Please avoid this.  I’m not putting a word restriction on the game, but I’m asking nicely.
- No editing your posts.  This will result in modkill.
- There are no scripted events.
- No talking about the game outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may.
- No posting during game nights.
- No spectator posts.
- Do not directly quote your role PM or conversations with the mod. Paraphrase is okay. Check with me before posting if you're unsure.  This will result in a Modkill.
- There are no players or parties that would cause the game to end Day 1 or Night 1.
- PLAY TO WIN. Failure to at least put in an effort ruins the game for everyone else. Sabotaging your side deliberately or through massive apathy will get you modkilled. I am not afraid to modkill.  Please keep this in mind.
-Modkills due to unexpected inactivity at the start of game will not result in the end of the day, however any modkills after Day 1 will.
- You do not need to post "in character" or do anything special regarding flavor. If you want to, it's fine, but it may complicate the game or give away your role, which is generally bad.
- There are no post restrictions in this game.
- No players have "hidden" abilities that were not included in their role PM.  Seriously.  Even sanity and variation information.  It’s all there.  If you’re unclear, ask.  I am not keeping any role information from players about their own roles.
- If you’re scum and you die, you WILL be removed from the scum chat. 
- Vote in the standard ##Vote: Playername format.  PLEASE be kind to your mods and ##UNVOTE.  While forgetting to unvote will not cancel your vote, it may mess up our tally by seemingly giving people an extra vote where they simply forgot to unvote.
- No Lynch is NOT a viable vote.
- Day 1 will last 36 hours.  All subsequent days (excluding LYLO) will last 48.  You may make a SINGLE ##EXTENSION request per day if necessary.  Majority vote will extend the day 24 hours.  If a majority vote has not been reached by the end of the day, the player with the most votes will be lynched.  This will NOT change in later days.  If there is a tie, while I am not privy to using Hatbot from work, I do have a dice roller of my own who is equally vile and hateful, and will randomly choose your lynch.  Do NOT allow this.  Kill by majority.  You get more information this way. Nights will last 24 hours max.  If you do not provide an action by that point, you forfeit it for the night. 
-CIVILITY is your friend.  I’m not asking anyone to tiptoe around or even be polite (Miss Manners style), but keep your arguments and heated exchanges to the issues at hand, not taking personal stabs at each other.  It’s a game.  Keep it that way.  Please refer to the line above about my willingness to modkill.  If you’re driving players from the game, I will modkill you.  Again, not saying be nice, just be civil.
- LYLO or potential LYLO will be announced.
- Complete role (including sanity and variation) & alignment information will be revealed on flip.
- Scum are not required to NK.
- There may or may not be third parties.
- If there are any questions, you can send PMs to Gatewalker as well as myself, since he's co-modding.  AIM: QuietRainWolf & DarkwindStriker.

Active Players

4) Excal
6) Sir Alex
10) Meeple
11) Deltaflyer2k8

Knocked Out Players
Sylon
SnowFire
EvilTom
Carthrat
Yoshiken
Ryogo
Xanth
Bardiche
Strago
OblivionKnight
Kilgamayan
Nietz

Good luck and happy hunting. The first day dawns now.

With 16 alive it takes 9 to lynch.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:29:51 PM by QuietRain »
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: PokeMafia - Day One
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
...Hi!

Yay for being such a crap Pokemon! Maybe I can, I dunno, find some Magikarp to start beating up around here...

Bardiche

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »
##VOTE: Yoshiken

Already expressing his aggression by saying he wants to beat up a Magikarp. And let us not forget that Team Magma has had a long-standing rivalry with Team Aqua. And what would Magikarp belong to...?

Gentlemen, our course is clear.

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Cleric Economics Syndrome
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
##Vote: Snowfire

Snowfire? More like Snowmagma, I bet.

And something to keep in mind from the start is the lack of sudden death this time. Maybe you guys are used to it, but I'm not, and we've ran into sudden death more than once by a bunch lately.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »
Mmm...

Long time, now back in mafia.  This should be fun. 

As of right now

##Vote: Carthrat

He's always scum, except when he's not.  But he's Australian.  He has to be a criminal.  I mean, he's descended from them!

</blatant racism>
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:07:17 PM »
##Vote: OK

Resorting to old stale memes already?  Figured that content that you couldn't pre-script may give away too much?!  We demand the truth!

Also Xanth, your logic is flawed!  FLAWED, I say!  Sure, Snowfire may be Fire/Ice, and Magma loves their fire types.  But have you actually seen them ever use any Ice types?  I cannot believe such an elementary mistake came from someone of your stature, which makes me wonder, what are you trying to accomplish with that obvious bluff.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:01 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Yoshiken(1): Bardiche
Snowfire(1): Xanth
Carthrat(1): OblivionKnight
OblivionKnight(1): Excal
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
Team Magma? Hundreds of pokey-mans? Jeez. It's been a long time since I played any of these, huh?

And 36 hours! Huh. This'll be interesting.

Nietz

• Denizen
  • Normal Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »
##Vote: Kilgamayan
For using my interest in Mafia to lure me back into any thing Pokemon.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
OBJECTION!

Don't get on the co-mod's bad side by INSULTING POKEMON!

Er, uh, this is a votecount post... clearly... >_> <_<

VOTECOUNT

Snowfire(1): Xanth
OblivionKnight(1): Excal
Kilgamayan(1): Nietz
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:52:18 PM by Ciato »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:06 PM »
##VOTE: SnowFire

Doctor...  I have to confess.  You see....  the pokeymans.  I have to crush them all.  Make them bend to my will.  They seem innocuous enough, bouncing about in their environments, squeaking their names...  but I can't stand them.  It's like I'm possessed by some alien, burning desire to lock them all inside small red and white balls....  I've no idea where it came from.  And the spunky 10-year olds who corral them!  I...  I want to challenge them to highly dangerous duels.  It can't be healthy.  Stop me before I do something I regret.  I don't know what's wrong with me.

Wait...  so you say such an attitude is common on this plane?  And perfectly well accepted as normal?

Oh.  Well then.

##UNVOTE: SnowFire

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 12:56:18 AM »
##Vote: OK omgus

Also, I'm descended from scottish barbarians and english colonialist noblemen living in India.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 01:17:40 AM »
##Vote: Sylon

Welcome to DL Mafia!

Same to Nietz, but he's posted.

Hugs!

Sylon

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
##Vote: Deltaflyer2k8

You have numbers in your name. You are different.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:21:21 AM »
##Vote: Sylon How dare you vote for my good friend Delta!?!
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 03:34:18 AM »
VOTECOUNT

Snowfire(1): Xanth, Snowfire
OblivionKnight(2): Excal, Carthrat
Kilgamayan(1): Nietz
Sylon(2): SirAlex, EvilTom
Deltaflyer2k8(1): Sylon

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 03:34:25 AM »
##Vote: Xanth

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
Right...  so, 1/3 of day one is done and we've got two things, jack, and all.  So let's see if we can't get something moving.

##Unvote: OK, ##Vote: Sylon

Because leaving things to hatbot is bad, and having a clear frontrunner is in everyone's best interests.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
So...  Day 1 seems as good a time as any to get random chatter down; if people are talking then at least something interesting might come up.  If you ride the PATH train (the train between Newark, Hoboken, and New York City), they have warnings on the doors that connect the cars to not open them and fall to your doom on the tracks.  These include Spanish translations, of course.  I distinctly recall reading:

La via del tren es peligrosa.

Sure, one translation would be "the train tracks are dangerous," but for a more Hong Kong action movie flavor, it could also be translated "The Way of the Train is dangerous (young grasshopper)."  A true statement indeed, since getting hit by the full force of a speeding train will flatten all but the toughest opponents.  Of course, a train-style fighter charging in a straight line will also be evaded by all but the dumbest opponents.  So...  more dangerous for those who practice the art, certainly, since knowing how this works in the movies there'll be a brick wall behind the dodging hero that you slam yourself into, and then you realize that you were just the comic relief warmup fight.

Why on earth am I yammering about this?  Because my Pokemon is a train-style fighter.  Yes, I have one Linoon, which runs at high speed (60mph!) at its targets but ONLY IN STRAIGHT LINES.  Apparently Linoon is OWNED BY GENTLY CURVING PATHS.  No really.

Still, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  Today Linoon, tomorrow Linoon and Magikarp, next Thursday...  probably more Magikarps.  We'll get to "'em all" later, I suppose.  All the pokemon shall be crushed under my booted heel kept safe inside Pokeballs, forever.  Though...  upon reading the flavor more carefully, perhaps I won't.  It seems that my dreams of a vast Pokempire ended before they could start, as we're all dead.  (I have updated my avatar accordingly.)  Alas, poor SnowFire...  he got a Linoon and was crushed in a freak landslide.  Well, I continue onward in spirit from the training I gave my Linoon, and also the fact that I'm going to haunt this island until the Magma Pokemon are annihilated.

(QR has confirmed that the roles are random, so there's no harm in declaring your Pokemon now, by the way.)

On a more serious note...  the original recruitment thread said there would be two scum teams, Team Magama and Team Aqua.  I assume that Team Aqua is out of commission, its snow melted to Magma's fire?  Or is that classified?  (If we know there are two scum teams openly, that will interestingly change things, since active scum-hunting isn't as much a guarantee of towniness - the scum certainly want to lynch each other, too.)

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 09:01:47 AM »
You wrote a large wall of text for just three lines of actual contribution? I do hope that was all joke-stage related stuff. Also, you suck at funnies. Go figure why I hate pokemon. Still, mafia is a game of mafia, and I think we have goons to find. I say we call for serious voting and discussion now.

Snowfire:

Right...  so, 1/3 of day one is done and we've got two things, jack, and all.  So let's see if we can't get something moving.

I believe that this was a call to begin serious mafia, and yet you go to write a full-on wall of text immediatly afterwards with only three lines. Can you please explain this for me? Day one may mean random chatter, but when people start wanting serious mafia to start, you should consider heeding this and also wanting it, because the more time town has in a day, the more time to lynch scum.

It should be rather interesting to see what happens in this game, with possibly two scum teams operating.
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »
And yes, that was a joke (and my only one) when I said you suck at funnies. I do not mean it in truth, it is just that I didn't laugh.  :-\
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Amber Herald Treat
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 10:32:34 AM »
Yeah, Delta, that was getting well on for incivility. Distaste for the theme is no excuse. At least you kinda-sorta caught yourself on it, but even then.

The only thing that really sticks out from the thread to me so far (other than the general lack of content, but go figure, it's not like I'm any better) is Snow's joke suicide vote. Those read badly even (especially?) in jest. I still don't really get how I'm supposed to react to an early vote-leader at this point, so I'm declaring flipping my joke vote to a real vote on the basis of this mild indicator.

I'm not really sure what to make of the secondary scum team thing, given the contradictory Word of Mod. Unless we get direct confirmation one way or the other, we're just going to get distracted trying to pick out parts of the game set up without being sure, which sounds like a bad idea. Just be cautious - you should be anyway, given the potential for ITP.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
Snow's suicide vote is just another dumb thing in a long line of dumb things done in mafia games that aren't tells one way or the other.

##Unvote, ##Vote: Sylon sure let's lynch Sylon why not. Voting for him because people are voting for him.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
Snow's suicide vote is just another dumb thing in a long line of dumb things done in mafia games that aren't tells one way or the other.

sure let's lynch Sylon why not. Voting for him because people are voting for him.

These are pretty much my thoughts as well.  Not a lot going on so far.  Mod confirmation on multiple scum teams would be nice to have indeed - if true that means we're facing no less than four scum total (since I doubt a team would have only one member), but divided, so this'll be a game more about looking for general scumtells than connections.  IF there are multiple teams and that didn't change in the setup sometime.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:01 AM »
Mafia Edit - Shuckle is not my actual pokemon.  I just like it (more than the one I was assigned.  >_>)