Register

Author Topic: PokeMafia - Day 4  (Read 46054 times)

Bardiche

Re: PokeMafia - Day One
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
Ultimately everyone turned to a Snowfire case instead, which he happily jumped back on with nothing new to add.

I don't like how you're trying to paint Xanth as the bad guy for choosing NotMe over Me in that scenario.

Worded that wrongly. While it is good that he preferred a target that was notHim above Him--I presume I need not explain why that is good--I do hold it against him that he switched his target back to Snowfire at the earliest convenient interval while adding nothing new to reasoning despite there being sufficient new material on Snowfire. It seems to me more of a desperation move rather than an idea that Snowfire is scum.

edit4Strago:
... Right, so what do you expect me to say about your first point about "scum pulled this off earlier"? I'm not scum, and as I said earlier I at first intended to pursue Xanth after extension. I'm not even intending for all this nonsense to sweep over without response, vote for Alex.

I find my case against Alex better than the case against Snowfire, and precisely because there are/may be two scum teams there is no reason at all for me to believe that lynching Snowfire is indicative of whether he is scum or not, so may as well push for his lynch right now.

Bardiche

« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2009, 05:39:32 PM »
Ultimately everyone turned to a Snowfire case instead, which he happily jumped back on with nothing new to add.

I don't like how you're trying to paint Xanth as the bad guy for choosing NotMe over Me in that scenario.

Worded that wrongly. While it is good that he preferred a target that was notHim above Him--I presume I need not explain why that is good--I do hold it against him that he switched his target back to Snowfire at the earliest convenient interval while adding nothing new to reasoning despite there being sufficient new material on Snowfire. It seems to me more of a desperation move rather than an idea that Snowfire is scum.

What is bad about the above is that he previously stated interest in lynching Snowfire because Snowfire=scum and then later it is because Snowfire=notMe. Should've attempted persuading the ones who voted on him at that juncture of why Snowfire is a better choice than him.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Yoshiken(0): Bardiche
Snowfire(7): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom
Carthrat(1): OblivionKnight
OblivionKnight(0): Excal, Carthrat
Kilgamayan(0): Nietz
Sylon(0): SirAlex, EvilTom, Excal, Carthrat, Ryogo, Nietz
Deltaflyer2k8(1): Sylon, Snowfire, Yoshiken
Xanth(1): Kilgamayan, Meeplelard, Strago, SnowFire, EvilTom
Meeplelard(0): Bardiche, Xanth
QuietRain (0): EvilTom
Ryogo (0): SnowFire
Excal (1): SnowFire
SirAlex (1): Bardiche

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in a little over 14 hours.
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »

...which is exactly what NotMe over Me is, isn't it?

This sounds like "NotMe over Me is good, but it's also bad". I don't follow your thinking at all. Why is it bad that reasoning did not accompany a NotMe over Me vote?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Bardiche

« Reply #179 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
As above. He should've attempted persuading the others who voted on him to vote for Snowfire, as if he truly had believed Snowfire to be scum at first this should be in his sphere of interest. I do not see any such interest at all.

I fault him for seemingly abandoning attempts at persuading us that Snowfire=scum when it was perfectly reasonable to do so, especially given his earlier belief that Snowfire=scum.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
I don't "expect" you to say anything in particular, Bard. This is not a tac where I unbalance you until you have tears in your eyes and admit to being the Godfather. My Mafia MO's pretty much always the same, and it is: throw the legit ideas at the wall and see what sticks. I recognized a strategy I've seen before, and it inspired an intuitive leap that got me thinking about the two scum teams. Which - and it's early, so fair enough - has had pretty much no air time thus far.

From where I'm standing, though, we really may just as well lynch Snowfire right now. He's one vote away from being hammered, I've declared my willingness to do so, and some of our historically- or recently-lurkish might well feel the same way, which means that if we spin around and lynch somebody else we'll just be left tomorrow with a SnowFire that most of us have not trusted, to whatever degree, for a good chunk of the day. So tomorrow he'll be around and we'll probably just largely be wanting to lynch him again.

This is especially true, to my mind, since it seems like whatever other lynch took place would not be spurred on by any persuasive argument by SnowFire himself, as he hasn't made a convincing argument against anyone a this point. So it's not as if we've seen the light and think he's suddenly a good guy, we'd just all be going selectively blind for a minute and it'll just be more focus on him tomorrow and to hell with that.

Again, only reason I see not to hammer him now is because this is a rolemadnessy game and we ought to wait for some kind of claim, I guess.

Oh, and fair enough for wanting to keep after Alex tomorrow. I'll hold you to that.

NINJA'd by Kilga: I suppose the difference, as one not heretofore involved in this discussion, is that Scum are naturally more interested in self-preservation than Town simply because there are fewer scum and a single death means more. If a good Townie sees himself going down in flames, he still ought to be pointing out the evil he sees around him; Scum may, very naturally, focus for longer on putting out the fire. But I see where you're both coming from.

NINJA'd by Bard: Yeah.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 26, 2009, 05:59:21 PM »
Man, I'm a wordy bastard. Need to work on my laconic charm.

Bardiche

« Reply #182 on: March 26, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
From where I'm standing, though, we really may just as well lynch Snowfire right now. He's one vote away from being hammered, I've declared my willingness to do so, and some of our historically- or recently-lurkish might well feel the same way, which means that if we spin around and lynch somebody else we'll just be left tomorrow with a SnowFire that most of us have not trusted, to whatever degree, for a good chunk of the day. So tomorrow he'll be around and we'll probably just largely be wanting to lynch him again.

I suppose you're right. I'm fine with leaving Alex for tomorrow then lest Snowfire becomes an issue--funny that I should overlook that.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 26, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
Firstly, just to clarify my position based on what Kilga said about me being possible-sneak: GMT, I Rest around 11/11.30. I then wake up, go to college, get back around 4pm. I've just finished reading through 4 pages of stuff, so my post may be a little late, but that's the way my life goes. I'll (usually) post a fair bit in response when I -do- Return.
(Also, yikes, was it really necessary to have 4 pages of new posts? This has to be the most packed Day1 I've seen from all the Mafia games I read through...)

Unfortunately... I'm gonna have to say that my views haven't changed all that much. Put simply, I still don't have a read of any Strength on, well, anyone at all.

I... sort of get Bard's case against Alex, but I don't personally buy it. It raises suspicion of Alex a bit, but also raises suspicion of Bard - a lot of the arguments seem typical for Day1, so I find it quite odd that it's being followed with such vigour.

That said, I definitely buy the case against Snow. It's not the reasoning behind it - I can understand that the train against Sylon had no real logic to begin with - but more the clearly flawed logic. I can appreciate the odd mistake, but something as basic as (the same thing everyone else has brought up about) voting for "Just because" after giving that as the reason not to vote is majorly flawed.
That said, those who've compared this to Meeple in the Simpsons Mafia, I'm hoping that's a view of "Well, it can happen" and not "It's likely to happen". Sure, Meeple went because of that. But everyone commented on how strange that was - it's not likely, just possible.

I'm not gonna hammer Snow, just for the role-claim. Otherwise, he'd easily be my main suspect. Not really sure on a second suspect - I might have to go back and re-read the topic completely at some point, but I'm posting this while my internet's working.

(Final point - I tried accessing this from college today... Most pages were filtered, except for the last, which became filtered after Xanth's post. Seems I might have more trouble checking from there than I thought, so I've no choice but to drop out if I do lose the internet, which is seemingly at about a 50% chance at the moment.)

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Lego Triathlon Metropolis
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
Right, back.

Generally re: Bard:

I'm not sure why Kilga jumped in to make my defence for me, but yeah, that's mostly exactly it, and if nothing else it's reassuring that it does read as intended to some. Anything in particular that he covered that you want me to respond to directly?

My only concession is that I overestimated just how much I'd [read and] write in that time frame, and so didn't get a proper look at Snow. Given that my hand was forced either way this opinion was nice but unnecessary to run through to the deadline, and is only important now that I very definitely have the choice to be elsewhere, which I'm now only failing to get to as I expected this to be a quiet enough period in the day that I could get through my set piece in one go.

What I distinctly don't like about your approach here is how you've spent quite such a long time suspecting and baiting me forward without actually directly doing anything until now. You clearly had concerns earlier, why bother beating about the bush so much if you genuinely thought it should be pursued? I don't think I can buy it being a deliberate trap or anything.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
I will have to be brief, this is another lunch post.  Who knows, perhaps things will get turned around.

As for my roleclaim: Complete roles will flip on lynch, so it's not as big a deal.  I will say as my half-roleclaim that I'm not anywhere near an important enough town role to try and turn the tide based on that alone.

Bardiche: I'm suspicious of both Sir Alex and Excal.  If you'd prefer to push the SirAlex train, that works for me; like I noted before, I'm fine with either one.  I'll be more than happy to change my vote this evening if I'm still alive to Sir Alex if it looks like that can get some momentum.

Unfortunately, the events of last night seem to have let off more heat than light, so meh.  To restate in short form the events of last night from my perspective:
* Town is on cruise control toward a Sylon lynch.
* THIS IS VERY BAD WHY ARE WE DOING THIS.  Even if a Sylon lynch was merited, shouldn't we let him respond, or let some of the lurkers chime in?
* OMG SnowFire is too sure about Sylon clearly he's scum!

Like I said, I just want a good lynch on Day1.  Which is now even less likely to happen!  But so it goes.

For what it's worth, I apologize if anything came across as too personal last night; the extension issue...  really really sucked.  That kicked up way too much drama; I really wish the day had just naturally been longer.  I'm not kidding when I say that I finally decided to join this game partially because I saw it had a 72 hour Day 1, and thus I could avoid the for-me frenetic and disastrous Day 1 in Simpsons Mafia.  No, really, I'm not making that up.  (I suppose I just prefer longer days in general.)

~In which statements of general Mafia philosophy are made~
I'd stand by these elsewhere regardless of the game and would cheerfully discuss them in an out-of-topic thread, but they seem unfortunately relevant here.

* Voting your heart vs. viable candidates: Sure, vote your heart...  if you're going to be around later before the day closes so that you can switch your vote if necessary.  Or if you feel you have a really strong suspicion that simply requires you to leave a vote there.  Otherwise, you risk being a random pop-gun in the wilderness.  Also note that scum can avoid controversy by sitting their votes on people who won't flip for a long time, or perhaps tossing a lone vote to their scumbuddy who they don't think is at risk as a way of insurance for later.  (For Pokemon mafia: Note that I had hoped to be asleep when the day closed, and when I cast my vote it was 5 Sylon - 3 Xanth - 1 anyone else.)
** Side note: Has anyone played games where people can cast multiple votes / as many as they want?  Bookkeeping would be more a pain, but it would presumably eliminate this issue.
* Extensions: Yes, last minute extensions are mrph, and for those I can sympathize with the burnout problem.  It is unfortunate that we had 8 votes with 8 hours to spare, and only got the 9th after much sound and fury.  Just...  36 hours was too short, and requiring a strict majority was probably too much.
* Simpsons Mafia / voting for mostly absent people: Obviously I can't speak for everyone who voted against Meeplelard, but El Cideon at least attacked both Meeple and Andy and more on the grounds of the vote than on Meeple's other post content.  I think the differing motivations was just the Meeple train of thought.

So...  for Delta, Excal, and others hitting me on the "voting your heart" issue: I'm sorry if my vote for what I felt was the only viable candidate offends you, but anti-voting others for philosophical differences is...  very bad for the spirit of things (Obviously other factors are mixed in, but this part - which several of you have raised directly - I feel is unfair).  Hell, some people on my train right now have said they don't entirely agree with it, but they're still voting me.  I didn't anti-vote anyone for being against the extension, despite the fact that I felt the extension was pro-town and scum would likely have an incentive to be against it, because it was likely legitimate philosophical differences.  Yes, go ahead and criticize me for being stupid or something for holding to that belief, but it isn't scummy.

Too much other stuff to respond to, but out of time.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »
As for my roleclaim: Complete roles will flip on lynch, so it's not as big a deal. 

That's not the point of an L-1 roleclaim.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
I'm not sure why Kilga jumped in to make my defence for me

It was more to explain why I disapproved of Bard's actions.

Just because I dislike some of the actions you've taken doesn't mean I dislike all of them.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
(ugh, still here, sorta) Kilga: The point is to make sure town doesn't lynch a power role without being certain about what it's doing, right?  I'm not one.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »
So stop dancing around the question and just do it.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
Look, unless for some reason he's a Town Cop who's lying to us, there's apparently no reason not to hammer him. Which I'm ready to do. Are there objections?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »
Since it seems I'm getting lynched anyway....

Remember the whole "insane" post about Way of the Train style Pokemon and train tracks are dangerous?  Train...  tracks...  are dangerous?  (If none of you figured it out, then good, since I wouldn't want to let scum know.)  I'm a Tracker with limited shots.  Which is actually a pretty cool role for Vanilla +, so credit to QuietRain for coming up with that.  (Due to the limited shots I obviously did not use it on Night 0 when there'd be no kill to possibly track.)

Also I obviously didn't say so at the time, but the other reason I'm a fan of random blather posts on early Day1 is that it allows breadcrumbing like that to be fit in more easily.  Probably a discussion for another time, though.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
I've been in the middle of writing a post on Snow (still have it saved, will get back to it if there's any use now, or at the start of day 2 assuming I'm still around and people care), but crunch time is upon us. As usual I'm trying not to be universally swayed by last minute actions, which pull at my strings for townie, but I guess in turn if he is scum there's nothing left to try, although why not claim cop etc. etc.. The only potential weirdness is the limited shot deelie, which I don't believe was listed in the set up, but then the same goes for the one shot bulletproof and more recently the no mention of Team Aqua at the start.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
"Role-madness but not the way you think it is."  My guess is that the more powerful roles all have limited-shot roles, to distribute the power - it's role madness in that everyone's got a role,  and several of them powerful, but the power level of Night isn't through the roof.  Which, if true, would be pretty neat.

Nietz

• Denizen
  • Normal Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2009, 07:52:14 PM »
Busy day at the lab, I didn't have time to do a decent reread and find a suitable canditade.

One thing though, is there a point in lynching SF now? Seems like he just boarded the NK Express with his roleclaim, because either he's telling the truth and will be killed by scum, or is a lying scum and will be... killed by the other scum.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »
"Thou shalt not suffer scum to live" an' all that.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Pidgeon Joint Zone
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »
Actually, rather than wait for the hammer to fall at any minute, let's start off with:

##Unvote: Snowfire

I'm unconvinced that saving him makes sense yet, but I'll at least allow myself the chance to puzzle it out.   (still writing the Snow stuff, haven't suddenly lost it or anything)

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
Bleh, work. Sigh. I don't see a point in not lynching Snow. Expecting Scum to do your work for you in any way that will end up being good is a losing proposition for sure, I'd say.

Whatever, this day needs to end. Limited-use Tracker really isn't something I'm going to shed tears over, nor will anyone else who's spoken up. I said I'd do it, I'm doing it.

... aaaaand Ninja'd by Xanth. Alrighty then, I suppose that's fair enough. Now what?

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2009, 08:06:02 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Yoshiken(0): Bardiche
Snowfire(6): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom
Carthrat(1): OblivionKnight
OblivionKnight(0): Excal, Carthrat
Kilgamayan(0): Nietz
Sylon(0): SirAlex, EvilTom, Excal, Carthrat, Ryogo, Nietz
Deltaflyer2k8(1): Sylon, Snowfire, Yoshiken
Xanth(1): Kilgamayan, Meeplelard, Strago, SnowFire, EvilTom
Meeplelard(0): Bardiche, Xanth
QuietRain (0): EvilTom
Ryogo (0): SnowFire
Excal (1): SnowFire
SirAlex (1): Bardiche

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in a little less than 12 hours.
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Monk Mask Mayhem
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
(written, re-written and added to between other posts already gone, so the timing will sound odd)

Given that the hammer hasn't immediately fallen, I'll at least continue writing this. Snow's last minute actions have really wrenched at me, but I'll finish writing it as it was meant to be written just before the 'deadline':

Finally on to Snow.

Getting beyond the chaos at the start, there's a lot to process. There are a lot of things he says that I disagree with, but it's a right mess working out what's actually scummy. For instance, I disagree with just about everything he's said about the extension, but this just reads as genuinely different expectations. I really don't get the move with Sylon, which I thought was a crazy train to begin with, but had good rights of being there come the time of there being other trains, so as much as I still don't understand the 'let's push someone out' mentality from the start, I don't see the need to argue it down when it's relevant later short of a good claim on someone else, which... he distinctly doesn't have when he votes for me for no reason other than it's not the Sylon train, which in itself set off warning bells for dropping a vote down but pointedly washing his hands of responsibility for it (no, not like Me/NotMe).

I don't dislike the choosing between relevant targets, but don't see how the balance fell to voting for the 'neutral' feel on me.

The flitting around between a whole bunch of people without ever actually settling down is another concern. There's nothing inherently wrong with several changes near the start of day one (slowly building up from crap case to slightly less crap case is fair enough), but by the second half of the day this built up to having a bunch of neutral and neutral-to-town reads, and what rationale he had was single issue at best and quickly left behind (the vote on Ryogo is particularly weird). Given how much he's then caught up defending himself and Sylon, the first opinions on anyone we hear after that is right before the 'deadline', which I can somewhat respect from being under heavy fire and needing to prioritise, but don't understand why nothing was present before then.

So bleh, I don't think it's a particularly bad case for day one, but nothing especially new from me there. The problem now is that I just don't understand Snow's last minute actions as scum at all. I'm pressed to see how much this should count, or if there is another option to fly towards (I'd be okay for Meeple or one of the lurkers (but not OK) at the moment), but his claim adds up and doesn't tally as a weird random scum ploy. Even if he was trying on some crazy course of knowing that I'm weak to these last minute pleas, he couldn't possibly expect me to reverse such a big deficit.