Register

Author Topic: PokeMafia - Day 4  (Read 46076 times)

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Rod Bracer Goulash
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2009, 08:32:36 PM »
Strago: what now? I think either you stick with Snow and put your vote down anyway and convince me or someone else to follow suit, or we enter dialogue about whether it's plausible to shift elsewhere (my number one concern with going elsewhere is that I don't want a last minute scramble).

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
Re: PokeMafia - Day One
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »
I guess the crux of things for me right now, Xanth, is: how do we organize ourselves enough to move over to a new lynch, at this point? It took us around 48 hours to get here, now! And we won't just get lyncher's guilt when whoever the next player in question is makes their roleclaim in twelve hours? I just don't see the point. Cut our losses, end the day. Am I wrong?

NINJA'd: Yeah, you're right. I can't see any good coming of dragging this out further.

##VOTE: SnowFire

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Yoshiken(0): Bardiche
Snowfire(7): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom, Strago
Carthrat(1): OblivionKnight
OblivionKnight(0): Excal, Carthrat
Kilgamayan(0): Nietz
Sylon(0): SirAlex, EvilTom, Excal, Carthrat, Ryogo, Nietz
Deltaflyer2k8(1): Sylon, Snowfire, Yoshiken
Xanth(1): Kilgamayan, Meeplelard, Strago, SnowFire, EvilTom
Meeplelard(0): Bardiche, Xanth
QuietRain (0): Ryogo
Ryogo (0): SnowFire
Excal (1): SnowFire
SirAlex (1): Bardiche

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in about 11 1/2 hours.  SNOWFIRE is at -1 to HAMMER.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:39:59 PM by QuietRain »
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
Alright, back now.  I'll start with Snow.  Basically, the argument that his actions as scum make no sense is countered by the fact that he really does seem sincere in his disbelief that we'd find anything scummy in his defense of Sylon.  If he didn't believe that his defense would net him so much scrutiny, then it makes sense for him to mount that defense.  As for the issue of defending Sylon, who is now confirmed town, the way he went about it does leave him with some cover if you assume he is scum.  After all, he's defended someone who was at threat of lynch and can later be proved to be town (though less certain in this game unless his faction has a cop that checked Sylon night 0, which seems a tad bit too convoluted), and if Xanth is indeed town, and he gets lynched.  Well, don't blame Snow, he was forced to vote that way and repeatedly said he thought the guy was neutral.

Game Theory Discussion Follows: Snow, I can see where you're coming from on the Day length issue.  But personally I think 36 hours is about the perfect length for Day 1 as it gives us enough time for stuff to happen, a bit of joking, and then to actually get a half decent lynch going.  48-72 is about right for following days when we actually have things to talk about.  Also, when it comes to who to lynch on Day 1, I suppose there is a good argument for going for people who talk and might give us something for Day 2, but the price is having people who don't talk being a higher proportion of those around in the later days as well.

As for other people, follow up post for that as I don't want to face hammer ninjas.  And most of them will still be around tomorrow.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:17 PM »
POST NOTE: I'm making points as I read through the thread, so if things have already been said, its because I've made my remarks before I got to whatever someone else had posted. Only thing I knew at the start of post was that Sylon had dropped from the game.

QuietRain (0): EvilTom
I hate to be fussy over small things, but that wasn't actually me.

And yeah, it was me that did the jokevote against you Rain. Doesn't really matter though, I can't exactly lynch you anyways :P
------------------------------

Ryogo, you've been around since this all went down, as evidenced by your avatar and flavor text change. What are your opinions on the situation?

First of all, yes, I was around for until about 12:30 AM (T-2:30 hours to deadline for me). I didn't post anything because, well, I didn't have anything to say at the time :S I still felt the Sylon Case was the best we had at the time. Obviously, that's changed now.

If I had've seen this before I logged out and went to bed for the night, I would whipped up a post with my thoughts. But this was posted about an hour after I went to bed. I actually wasn't around for a lot of the stuff you think I was. But I will give you my comments and thoughts about it!

Quote from: Carthrat
Snowfire having a townie vibe on Sylon really irked me, earlier. He hadn't done anything, and drew all his conclusions from what other people were doing around him. Then he didn't even actually go after any of 'em (let's not forget that part of his hypothesis was 'lots of people voting for one guy seems bad and untrustworthy'), instead focusing on the unrelated Xanth. Yeah sure don't vote Sylon because you think he's just sick or whatever, but actually going out and saying 'he's townlike!' is way too weird.

Have to agree on your thought process here by Rat. SF's logic here is not the best of logic to follow... Its just downright horrible.

Quote from: SnowFire
Xanth is average - 5.
Sylon is, to me, mildly townie - 4.
SnowFire is extremely townie - 0.
SirAlex is, to me, mildly scummy - 6.

If the choice is between Xanth and Sylon - well, 5>4 !  Thus it may make sense to vote for a "random" - if the only other options are even worse.
If Alex was scummier to you, why didn't you put your votes down for him?? 5 may be greater than 4, but 6 is even larger than both! This is just adding strikes to the board. (Reading on later, noticed Delta makes the same point, so I guess I second it.)

Also, I noticed that OblivionKnight and Strago have tried to keep a particularly low profile as well, specially the later. I just think Sylon's case is worse right now for actively trying to keep it down even when the attention was onto him.

Strago, maybe.  He's been talking, if not frequently, but at least he's participating.
OK? I'm not sure "Low profile" counts so much as he hasn't been here at all.  As I said, though, I haven't seen him much online in the past 24 hours at all, so there's a good chance he actually has legit RL reasons; though if this keeps up throughout the next day, I'm expecting a modkill.

Also seconded. I'd really like to hear from OK, but at this point it seems like that'll have to wait until tomorrow? If he doesn't show, he'll be MK'd and if he does, we can light a fire under his ass later. Same goes for Strago, but to a much lesser degree. See much more from him now, am happy.

Quote from: Strago
]Ryogo says something here about Carthrat on which I call shenanigans in a big way: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg54979#msg54979. Namely that because he hasn’t shown up on the “active users logged in” list, he must necessarily not be lurking. What. Do you know how easy it is to log out of the boards and still be very actively reading the thread and even writing your posts? It is so easy. I’m not saying “lynch Rat” – dude’s an Aussie, after all – but that is a specious reason to wave away suspicion.

Honestly, I never thought of that before :-\ I just have my account set to "Log in Forever" so I just kinda assumed people did the same. Never thought of logging out to pretend you're not on. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Bard makes good points against Alex, and so far, I'm inclined to agree, especially after the roleclaim by Snow. Only problem with a roleclaim in this game is I think we ALL have some kind of little poké power. If not a permanent one, a one shot deal.

Bah, more later. Currently at the start of page 8. I have to run to class now though, so rest of thoughts have to wait.

For now, I'd rather have my vote somewhere rather than no where.
Ahh! Just noticed Snow is minus one to hammer with newest votecount.

##VOTE: SirAlex

People still seem to be discussing, there's still time left in the day, and I agree with Bard on points against SirAlex. I'll review the rest of the thread upon return in 2 hours, and then see what I think. Its looking like a SnowFire lynch right now though.

P.S., Sorry for what looks like a huge wall of text, but its mostly quotes taking up the space.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »
Alright, this is just generally going to be first impressions and other such as there's a few things I need to do before I can do some research.

Alright, going into the final stretch last night, there was a small list of people who I found odd.

Snowfire and Meeple were both people for whom their opening simply left me wondering what was up.  Unfortunatly, Meeple always does that, so I generally disregard it, and Snow's I couldn't see how it would benefit either side, and so also ignored it in the face of better cases.

Sylon had the confirmed lurk in his favour, which was leaving me generally content to leave my vote on him since it looked to be the best case we had on anyone.

Alex had the fact that he had dropped a vote on Sylon, confirmed it was a serious vote, and then didn't make any other cases for a long time.

Then came what should have been the end of Day 1.  Kilga, gave solid reasons, and both of his train memberships are well explained, so he's probably the strongest pro-town player for me at the moment.

Bard, I'm not sure what to make of him.  He comes in with some decent points about Alex, but he's also jumping on Xanth for not writing an essay with about five minutes left in the day with his neck on the line?  Where he was in a situation where at any point the mod could say Hatbot demanded his head, and he had the power to change that?  Then again, I suppose I'm also still a little bit biased by that last second extension which, yeah.  Leaves us spending more time without some tools that would have been quite helpful.

Rat also moved up in my estimation.  Though, the Rat is always high in my respect for his ability to play, so I am always suspicious of him.

Anyways, hopefully I will have time to actually do some research before day ends.  But, if not, I don't think added thoughts will help today anyways.  I can't see anyone looking worse than Snow to me today.

Edit: Oh, hey, Ryogo lives!  Didn't drop a hammer, so let's post then read.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #206 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Snowfire(7): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom, Strago
Carthrat(1): OblivionKnight
Ryogo (0): SnowFire
SirAlex (2): Bardiche, Ryogo

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in about 10 1/2 hours.  SNOWFIRE is at -1 to HAMMER.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 26, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
...play slower!

Ok, on a side note, it always amuses me how mafia arguments begin.  I think it's one of the awesome dynamics of the game. 

I apologize that I've been out lately - yesterday was insane, but I'm back...thankfully with an extension.  I was hoping I could make a post at work, but no go - looks like I can't get around the blocks anymore. 

First off

##Unvote: Carthrat

Going to try to split this into pieces so I don't wall of text everyone.  Beginning at the beginning...

http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg54838#msg54838

Ok...so there was initial comments over this?  The vote/unvote in the same post?  I agree with Carth on this (http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg54911#msg54911).  I find his initial posts to be joking (and ones I legitimately laughed at, so...), not bad.  Maybe if he did it later on?  I could see calling him out on it, especially if he kept it, since we get no reasoning from him, but...not now.  (I know this is old, but I wanted to comment on it anyway)

In regards to the Sylon train (heh...Cylon)...it jumped out fairly fast, and matter-of-factly from several people.  I don't have a strong feeling on this - the best possible latches for the day thus far were either jump on someone and see where it ends up or jump on the aforementioned Snowfire's odd posting structure.  I don't think either are exceptionally strong, and don't have a preference - the latter isn't a tell at all, and the former is usual day 1 training for information.  I do understand why we would try to move a lynch along (short days, though extensions; town shouldn't sit on its hands all day doing nothing, since it leads to shitty circumstances and  confusion), and to comment, Bardiche, I don't think we'd move so fast we lose the whole day - if we came down to it, we would probably hold a bit to make sure everyone got the chance to vote/discuss, even with a vote leader (like right now).  So I can see going both ways, and I feel that I would prefer to move on the Sylon train at that time.  My reasoning for this is to move something along, as I don't feel the case for Snowfire at the time was strong (read: currently reading through things, so not up to the current case), and, as noted before, even pushing his vote count up will not kill him so fast as to end discussion, but likely move him to talk more (granted, this ends up being for nought anyway - leaving us with the only other foreleader case).   

The next relevant follow-up of cases I see is Xanth/Meeple.  And...I don't make anything of them.  The votes are jumps on them for...seemingly random things.  I don't make much out of them.  Meeple looks the most suspicious of them, but not enough for me to really get flagged - well, no, looking at the Xanth vote while encouraging a Sylon lynch...mmm...flags a bit.  Looking at it now...does make me wonder how much of a bait it was, and if it's really...leading for things.  Almost a bit hippo. 

In regards to extension and pluarlity vs. hammer, I am in favour of the hammer.  I don't think we should end by plurality.  While we still get info...I think it's easier to get it from a hammer.  If people choose not vote and just let the forerunners die?  We don't get as much as we could, and it's harder to pull information out of them.  Whereas a hammer feels like a stronger execution. 

It's about this stage (http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg54970#msg54970) that I realize Alex, Tom, and Carth haven't been around for a bit.  Not that this is a tell anyway - 1700 my time isn't a normal time for them.  And they post eventually anyway.

My thoughts on the extension...well, it allowed me to post, so that's good, but I agree with Alex that it's generally bad for town, as will just shit around for a while and the same thing will come up.  Overall, I wouldn't have supported it, but that's water under the bridge.

Ok, stopping here: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55020#msg55020
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 26, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »
##Unvote: I'm fairly sure he's town.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 26, 2009, 10:50:35 PM »
Well I screwed that up. ##Unvote;.. 8am lectures suck after 5 hours sleep.

Anyway, I thought it was 50% likely he was town before, and the roleclaim + sylong's flip gives me another +50%. As such, I'm completely unwilling to lynch SF.
Posting from class, so more in a bit hopefully (aware of time limits).

Nietz

• Denizen
  • Normal Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 26, 2009, 11:09:06 PM »
"Thou shalt not suffer scum to live" an' all that.
I don't see a point in not lynching Snow. Expecting Scum to do your work for you in any way that will end up being good is a losing proposition for sure, I'd say.
Those seem more like philosophical points than ones actually based on the GT of this variant of the game. I guess I could put it that I believe that town playing this as Mafia, instead of Multiple Factions Mafia is the actual losing proposition.
But then again, there's the fact that I don't really believe Snow is scum, and I wouldn't like to do scum's work for them.

Frankly, the one that bothers me the most right now is Ryogo. Of his three posts, the first is just some "maybe, but maybe not" weak opinions, at the end of which he just goes into the Sylon train. The second is basically him arguing that it's okay for his reasons to be weak. And the third seems little more than quoting and repetition of other's opinions during the day.
I can definitely feel the "sneaky scum" vibe in that, so ##Vote: Ryogo seems like the best case to me right now.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 26, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
Quick post just to say that I'm back from work, and reading through the thread now.  Need to catch up on some of the latest developments.  Post to follow.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #212 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:13 PM »
Ryogo!

- Ryogo: Calls out Rat for his "all aboard the Sylon train woo woo!" reasoning and then turns around and does the same thing.

Why was doing this okay? I'd still like to know.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:21 PM »
So I now do agree with Alex that Snowfire sounds very hippo here.  Although the death of Sylon does make me rethink this a little bit - if there are two scum teams, Snowfire defending him does not seem like a scum move, since one scum team is not likely going to know the other team's identities, so he could randomly be defending an ally.  If Sylon flipped scum, I think I might be more in favour of pushing him.  But...not right now.  It's a bit hippo, and the logic is somewhat questionable.  Granted, Snowfire...when it's the close to deadline, it seems odd and a bit stupid to call out for an extension, especially when people are giving reasons why not.  Yes, town discussion is good, BUT, as Alex said, we can get confusion!  Confusion and time are bad, and can sully information.  Nothing new is really going to come up, I think, that would be helpful.  That's why the first day is short - to get speed into the new days.  

I think it is very hard, nigh-impossible, really, to have a townie/scummy list on day 1.  You have so damn little to go on.  http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55061#msg55061 ...you call him a confirmed townie.  Why?  I've read through all this...and I don't know why.  Unless you're a psychic pokemon or something, how do you know he's town before he dies?  You seem to dig yourself deeper with this post: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55090#msg55090.  "Making a fuss over Sylon would - to me at least - be a town-aligned move.  And if Sylon was scum, then this would fulfill both a scum's goals- defend their buddy without looking too suspicious (to people like me who think lynching a person mostly not around is useless).  Obviously if you don't buy that defending Sylon is particularly town-friendly, ignore this!  But I do."  I said why this is off earlier - if he were to pop scum, this would make you look worse, to me!  This is making me want to vote for you, except I want to know where this assurance of Sylon being town came from.  

Now, your claim...mmm...wouldn't trackers follow anyone?  See what they do?  You could have tracked anyone last night...though, no idea how many shots, and not everyone could act, so....

...wait a second.  So...if you didn't use this, how could you be sure Sylon was town?  Maybe reading through 10 pages of mafia in less than 30 minutes has meshed it together, but where do you say you're sure?  You've just said it's not your role...so....how?  He flipped town, sure...but this means you are either lying, or...well, your logic?

Please tell me why you were so sure, because I have no idea, and I find that more damning than the other stuff, since now you've kind of forced yourself into a logic hole - a deep one.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
VOTECOUNT

Snowfire(6): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom, Strago
Carthrat(0): OblivionKnight
Ryogo (1): SnowFire, Nietz

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in about 8 1/2 hours. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:56:06 PM by QuietRain »

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
I agree with the cases on both Excal and Alex. They've victimised Snow quite a lot and even misrepresented his stance several times to make it look more scummy than it is; http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55052#msg55052 and http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55056#msg55056 and I find it incredibly concerning when people say "well he's at -1, we should lynch him otherwise we'll be suspicious of him in later days based on precedent." I'm looking at you Strago. There's no reason to lynch someone who is likely town simply because they've been pushed there.
I can't see any reason for Snow to be scum. As such, Alex and Excal are my targets.
They were the first ones on the Snow train... crap clas ending, gotta run. Will return at next available internet!
##Vote Excal for now

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2009, 12:01:19 AM »
Ryogo!

- Ryogo: Calls out Rat for his "all aboard the Sylon train woo woo!" reasoning and then turns around and does the same thing.

Why was doing this okay? I'd still like to know.

Sure. I can answer this really quickly before I start my next post. What I meant by that was that Carthrat jumped on the train without giving a reason, other than "Sure, why not." I at least threw my own reasoning down on the table. I felt him suspicious because he had been lurking, and had been confirmed to have been on the forums frequently without defending himself from the votes put down on them. Even when the votes started to get serious. I was just saying Cat hadn't thrown any reasons down, and had ONLY said "all aboard the Sylon train woo woo!" at the time.

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Dinner Copper Grandfather
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »
Still kind of here on and off, but have just started on a film. Haven't really read back up to date. I guess I should be expected to put my vote where my mouth is than just sit here voteless for so long, but if that's not Snow then it's Meeple (who in turn hasn't been back on) rather than Alex or Excal, but if nothing else I don't like how this is proceeding towards another random squeeze at the end of the day.

##Vote: Meeple for current intention, at least, but am growing more concerned about a late day clusterfuck.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »
VOTECOUNT

Snowfire(6): Xanth, Snowfire, SirAlex, Excal, Kilgamayan, Carthrat, Xanth, Deltaflyer, EvilTom, Strago
Carthrat(0): OblivionKnight
Meeplelard(1): Bardiche, Xanth, Xanth
Ryogo (1): SnowFire, Nietz
Excal (2): SnowFire, EvilTom

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch.  Deadline in a little less than 8 hours hours. 

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »
General comments: To some extent now that Sylon has flipped, the Sylon train / arguments is water under the bridge.  And...  Sylon wasn't scum.  So...   obviously there are a whole mess of reasons for voting against me, but it seems one of the biggest ones is "Snow's logic is all wrong."  Obviously scum to some extent "know" at least some of who's innocent (though with two scumteams, less so) and thus can be tempted into using fallacious logic, but...  all I can say is that I'm sincere in my theory which apparently went over like a lead balloon.  Excal is right that this isn't a town-tell- "sincere" applies both to sincere townies and scummers sincerely trying to be town - but I'd humbly suggest it isn't a scumtell either.  Your results may vary.

There's also EvilTom's point - a Snow/Sylon team was admittedly a possibility when viewed from afar, and lynching one of us to find out would have had some value...  but we know better now.

Responses / Thoughts (WARNING: This is a genuine Wall of Text, my apologies):

Nietz, a long time ago, re me: "I can't say I like how the Sylon wagon has waned without him having to do anything. And I like even less how SnowFire argues that Sylon is town exactly for doing nothing."

I don't want to go back to the moot point too much, but that wasn't quite my theory.  My theory was that if Sylon was scum, then his scumbuddy was failing it up massively, which I found somewhat implausible.

Strago: Think you sort of... shot yourself in the foot here, Snow. I see what sort of devil's advocate stuff you're trying to say, here, but actually for me it suddenly highlights in very stark relief the weirdness of your Sylon defense.
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55146#msg55146

Er...  sorry?  It's Day1.  I was undercutting myself because obviously it WAS possible that Sylon was scum, due to the aforementioned possible holes in my little "theory" (scumbuddies not acting as planned, away, etc.).  I'm not sure why numbers fill you with bloodrage, but that was an extreme oversimplification because my "I don't have much on Xanth but he's the best option" statement was drawing fire.  I was trying to show a very simple case where this would obviously make sense.

Strago again: This is especially true, to my mind, since it seems like whatever other lynch took place would not be spurred on by any persuasive argument by SnowFire himself,
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55169#msg55169
This is my fault, I will grant, I should have been doing this more actively last night.  Remember, however, that I was strongly hoping (and even expecting?) the extension and for new material to work with.  The main thing I got off the Sylon train was that Sylon was mildly more likely to be town, and going to bat for people you think are likelier to be town is also an important pro-town role.  Knowing who NOT to lynch is also valuable.  That said, yes, I probably should have posted more on my own suspicions.

Yoshiken: I can appreciate the odd mistake, but something as basic as (the same thing everyone else has brought up about) voting for "Just because" after giving that as the reason not to vote is majorly flawed.
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55175#msg55175
The Xanth vote was entirely an artifact of the fact that I thought the day might end too soon before any new content could come up, be digested, and form a new lynch train, and I said as much.  If the day had been 58 hours long from the get-go it never would have happened.  So, yes: I said I wasn't happy with that vote!

Kilgamayan: "Thou shalt not suffer scum to live" an' all that.
 You're awfully certain I'm scum.

Xanth: (the vote on Ryogo is particularly weird)
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55197#msg55197
I'm actually still really ambivalent on Ryogo.  Not many posts to work with, but they haven't felt very useful, and he also hopped on board the questionable-to-me Sylon train.  Granted, it's Day 1.  He ranks in my "keep an eye on" list, certainly.

Strago: Cut our losses, end the day. Am I wrong?
http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55199#msg55199
"Cut our losses?"  How about "do the best lynch we can?"  People were giving me crap for "settling for the second best" on Xanth, but now we've got plenty of time.  Let's get a lynch we can all get behind, not an "eh, whatever" lynch.

Ryogo: If Alex was scummier to you, why didn't you put your votes down for him?? 5 may be greater than 4, but 6 is even larger than both! This is just adding strikes to the board. (Reading on later, noticed Delta makes the same point, so I guess I second it.)
Again, again, I didn't vote for SirAlex at the time because he had 0 votes, the day was ending soon, and I was trying to get to bed with a nasty cold.  See the game theory arguments elsewhere.  If I'd known I wouldn't be able to sleep, or if I'd known the extension would have gone through, then I would have voted differently, obviously.  At the time of that post, it was something like 5 -Xanth, 4- Sylon, 3- Me.  Unvoting Xanth and leaving would potentially have gotten me or Sylon lynched given no extension, and I wanted neither of those outcomes.

Excal: Kilga, gave solid reasons, and both of his train memberships are well explained, so he's probably the strongest pro-town player for me at the moment.
I can't say I agree with this at the moment - I find Kilgamayan's reasons pretty bad, but obviously I have a radically different viewpoint on things here.  That said I will concede that Kilgamayan does not appear particularly scummier than average, since I can very much see "townie with irreconcilable differences with SnowFire at the moment."

Carthrat: I'm...  still not sure what to make of him.  Perhaps will come back later.

OblivionKnight: This is making me want to vote for you, except I want to know where this assurance of Sylon being town came from.
I was not sure Sylon was town.  People are making a huge, huge error: you can be strongly against something without necessarily "knowing!"  Perhaps I should bring the numbers up again: You should be strongly in favor of earning 10 dollars over 2 dollars, but you should be just as strongly in favor of earning 5 dollars over 4 dollars.  Saying "Sylon is a bad lynch" != "Sylon is confirmed town!"  As for my argument in favor of Sylon...  I'd just be repeating myself again.

Still plenty of time left in the day, so I fully expect that those who believe that trains can change at any time are willing to reconsider things and not go along with an SF lynch "just because."

Will try and post again, as there's still stuff I need to respond to as well as advance theories.  Short version: Let's lynch Excal or Sir Alex, they both have suspicious points to me.  Will expand on that more below.

EDIT: Edit was after the game completed, fixing italics for posterity, that's why I wasn't modkilled.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:33:19 PM by SnowFire »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
Aw, dang it.  Can a mod edit my post to fix the italics?  I did preview, but I made a few modifications and one addition which screwed everything up afterward.

Bardiche

« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »
Why does Meeple concern more than Alex, or Excal for that matter?

Bardiche

« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »
To Xanth. Knew I forgot something.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2009, 12:36:18 AM »
On second thought I'll try and keep this short, since I already posted a giant WoT.

One last response: OblivionKnight: You say you're still suspicious of me.  I'll give another look at your post next, but is there anything in particular you want me to explain?

As for scumhunting....

Snow, just curious.  Do you actually have a reason as to why Sylon is town besides that he's sick?  I mean, sure, he could be a townie who's not feeling well and can't think of anything to say.  Though he could also be a scum who's not feeling well and can't think of anything to say.  Both sides can have that same excuse.  So where does your certainty come from?

But what gets to me is the logic that not only is the excuse a good reason not to lynch him, but that we should lynch Xanth instead specifically to save him.  However, more important is the reasoning used to pick between the two.  Namely, that Xanth talks.  What the hell kind of reasoning is that?  We want to have a lurker over someone who actually participates?

Honestly, I'm not sold on Sylon, but some people have made some pretty good cases for him.  Xanth I don't see the case on at all.  But you, Snow?  Yeah, I'm definatly feeling that right now, so.

##Unvote: Sylon, ##Vote: Snowfire

EvilTom already raised this post, and it's one of the reasons why I'm mildly more interested in an Excal lynch than a SirAlex lynch.  Obviously lots of townies disagreed with my posts too - but this post is just obviously twisting my words to be in the worst possible light.  Excal had already voted for Sylon, and he now aggressively casts my logic as "kill people who talk."  SirAlex to some extent feels like he could have just been taking exception what what I was saying, but Excal's fire-starting hop-on rubs me the wrong way.

Re SirAlex: Well, I'll be the one playing me-too here, since I think I've Wall of Texted enough.  Suffice to say I'm inclined to agree with what Bardiche says here.  SirAlex's actions earlier on the Sylon train are suspicious - perhaps I should have harped on this more myself, I'll grant, rather than just wagging my finger at him last night- and he then hops on me after the Sylon train starts growing suspicious to stay on.  Strago's point against Bardiche  - scum sometimes raise a last minute case to look good to town- kind of applies to SirAlex against me, as well, though obviously this last-minute case has had lots of success.

My vote stays on Excal, but I am totally willing to move it to SirAlex if need be, which it might be.  Not sure what to make of Xanth's suggested Meeple train, will take another look at his posts.  Obviously I have a preference to live, so coming up with a good alternative target that we can agree on (that hopefully isn't me) would be cool.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2009, 12:45:03 AM »
Snowyfire:

Ok...I do apologize for saying you said he was confirmed town...I thought I remembered reading that you did say he was confirmed and you were sure he was town, but after another look...I can't find it.  So maybe spam reading all those posts made my brain explode.  Though...

This: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55090#msg55090
"...albeit at the cost of confirmed townie me now being in the spotlight"

I understand you want him to post again to see his views, which is understandable.  Still, confirmed townie?  No.  If you were confirmed, you wouldn't have votes on you.  Not sure what this says, but it's odd that when you're in danger, you start adding this.  

This: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55100#msg55100
"...On the downside we lynched sure town, but so it goes"

Where does this come from?  This is what I think I took as you saying he was confirmed.  The grammar and context are a bit off, so I thought you were referring to Sylon here.  I don't know where this fits, in context, now that I look at it.  Can you clarify?  It's an ODD thing to say at this stage, though.

This: http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=3132.msg55020#msg55020
"If Sylon is scum with RL issues, then his (or her?) scumbuddy should seriously be trying to kick up a racket about an extension so that Sylon could have a shot (kind of like what I'm doing now), something that could be done without necessarily tying their cases together"

So...bleh,  Not sure what to make of this with his flip.  I was originally reading this as a death-note, but...no.  I do understand the logic in protecting him so he can say something.  Something about this does bug me though - I'm sure a scum jumped on the extension wagon, but the key is did a scum or town start it?  Mmm...

Well, I've now confused myself.  Could you do me a favour and answer my query?  I'm still trying to analyze all this information.  I think you might just be a misguided townie, but I want to clarify.