Author Topic: New user alert!  (Read 8442 times)

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
New user alert!
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
So uh, I randomly stumbled upon this site.
(lucky me  :D)

Just saying high.

As a user here, I plan to rep Zidane. (Since he's got alot of bad rep. Have you guys READ the battles he fought? They make him seem like a SUPER pervert.

Zidane: geez

I also want to help around some of the lights and middles.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: New user alert!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »
Good luck with that, sparky
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »
Well, fresh bloo...er, new users are always welcome. Unless I've lost my mind the writers boards are all public now, so when the results come in feel free to try your hand at writing. Light and Middle especially could always use another hand, since alot of us find those divisions a little boreing and thus harder to write for.

(also, as a warning, I hope you have thick skin. The group as a whole tends to be pretty mockery based(as Trips here just highlighted), though we're usually not being active jerks about it. We mock eachother, ourselves, and everything else that exists as a general rule. Just roll with it and don't take anything too seriously. This is just a hobby, afterall.)
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
Considering I wrote most of those, I have read em. Welcome, etc. If you want to help write, go look at the writing board FAQ and feel free to ask questions.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
Okay.
Mockery huh, sounds like a load of fun.

Thanks guys.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
Considering I wrote most of those, I have read em. Welcome, etc. If you want to help write, go look at the writing board FAQ and feel free to ask questions.

And if you step up the Zidane hate just to counter anything PKN writes, I will give you a swirlie at DLC4. <_<
<%Laggy> no not really.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »
Howdy PK.  I would say something mean and spiteful here, but I've been feeling sick so you get off easy today.

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:31:50 PM »

And if you step up the Zidane hate just to counter anything PKN writes, I will give you a swirlie at DLC4. <_<

How could someone hate someone as epic as a Zidane.

And Captain K... Thanks. XD

Taishyr

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »
The personality given to him is one some people find abrasive (myself, it's just... there; I don't like him, but nor do I hate him).

Also some people here hate heroes that break out into emo song and dance which apparently Zidane does at some point lategame or something? I don't actually remember this so I can't say for sure.

Eh. Iunno. Prepare for, uh, some responses to that question, though.

(oh and hi and stuff)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:54 PM »
Well Zidane does have an emo moment that lasts for all of 15 minutes. I found him to be one of my favorite "goofy hero" types anyways.

Anyways, welcome. Also, don't expect me to be very interesting.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:42:33 PM »
Hi.

Ugh, I hate people who proclaim that Zidane was Emo.
Zidane has his soul ALMOST taken out his body. He gets an identity crisis, and this conflicts with the fact that he previously learned that he was created to kill. (sucks)

He just wanted to be alone for a while. He undergoes several fights with various teammates.
The kids annoyed him, and in turn he yelled at them. (He called Vivi a brat!  :-\)

Later on he realizes that he needs his friends. This part of the game is known as the ''your not alone'' sequence.
He later becomes the usual cheery guy. Heck, even the game designers said that they wanted to make him cheery. People can't hate him for that one scene.

IMO the problem lies from old memories. I JUST beat FF9 last week, and it had many points of the game that conflicted with my memory. (I though Amarant was gotten at Ipsen's castle/you fight him there)

PS: Cloud is not emo, if you played FF7 recently, you will eventually learn his true personality.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
Though I like Zidane well enough myself, you should still never tell people what they can and can't hate. Hate is irrational. One scene, if you dislike it enough, CAN ruin an entire character for you. Doesn't happen to me often, but it's very possible.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »
Also, not the main topic, I know, but Cloud most definitely is emo - not because of FFVII (he changes to be pretty awesome by the end of that), but because of AC. They basically took all the good changes they made to Cloud late-FFVII and threw them in a blender before pouring it into a bowl of acid. AC-Cloud would've been good if it weren't for the major focus on "I couldn't save her..." >_>

Oh, and, uh, hi! ^_^

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 09:59:53 PM »
Your right.

(plays FF6 overworld theme)

I shouldn't force my idea's on others.
That's exactly what this website is about, since characters are VOTED into victory.
So yeah, I hope I didn't offend you guys.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
Your right.

I believe you mean "you're" not "your".

(plays imperial march)

I should force my grammar on others.

...Err, silly jokes asside, hi: welcome to the forums!

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
I've heard of grammar Nazis, but grammar Storm Troopers?

Terrified. Truly.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Taishyr

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »
Your right.

I believe you mean "you're" not "your".

(plays imperial march)

I should force my grammar on others.

...Err, silly jokes asside, hi: welcome to the forums!
* Taitoro refrains from carrying this to its logical conclusion.

Also yeah, remember that we take worth in battle and not plot/story worth. Else W8 would be an obvious Godlike, of course. >_> <_<

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »

I'm not sure it's possible to step up the Zidane hate at this point. If it is, I haven't done my job as a writer.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »

Terrified. Truly.
Hey, I don't know any good Nazi music.

Although...maybe I could go with femenazi.  Hmm...yeah, Spice Girls are probably scarier than Storm Troopers anyway.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:27 PM »

Terrified. Truly.
Hey, I don't know any good Nazi music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve0XrTiFiwo
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »
Hey I'm of the opinion that the Zidane hate around here is silly and overplayed. I liked the guy more than, say, Alex from Lunar 1.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:41 PM »

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 11:44:50 PM »
As the person that writes Zidane a lot:

I don't hate him.

Does he get blown up a lot? Sure, for being a pervert.

Is he a pervert?

Yeah. Pervert, ladies man, etc. Whatever you wish to call it.

Do people react to this in-game poorly with him getting one slap and little/no mockery otherwise?

Yeah. Despite it largely being a comedic trait, the game...doesn't play up the comedy at all.

Do most perverts in RPGs get off this easy?

Sten nearly gets beaten to hell in-game.

Siegfried the unicorn gets more of a reaction out of his crowd.

Edgar has two? three? perverse moments. He gets mocked in every single one of them.

It's not hate; It's the reactions that every other RPG pervert gets.

(My honest opinion is that Zidane is the epitome of a bad main; A protagonist you could remove and have nothing notable change about the game. But that doesn't mean I dislike him. Put him in a secondary role and he'd be inoffensive; He's just got as much real importance to the plot as, say, Amarant. Well, no, he has the romance with Dagger, I suppose that's a bit more than Amarant, but...)

Does Zidane have other, highly notable traits?

Well, he has the thing that makes people call him emo(ehhhh I've never thought of him as emo. I dislike that scene, too out of character, but.).

He also is...generally, blandly cheerful, a trait that maybe half of the minor characters in the DL have, that doesn't make him notable for any writing purposes. One could easily say that I like Zidane, after a fashion; After all, I write him into scenes he has no real place being. Just, as humor.

Zidane's obviously not written quite true to in-game, it plays up his scenes of perversion, and has him have such terrible luck that there's a 60-odd-K linked series of writeups that describes exactly why. (What was that, Season 30? I forget though. It's been a while.) It's just played up for laughs. I've never claimed to be a great writer, just a silly one.

Anyways, my suggestion would be to not go too overboard trying to "reverse" the effect, if that's what you want. Having Zidane suddenly turn into a perfect gentleman who can suddenly slay Ghaleon would be kinda...ah, tacky.

And also, welcome. ^_^
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 12:13:41 AM »
First off, hi there! I have a sneaking suspicion I know where you stumbled upon this site from as well <_<

Next off...don't take write ups too seriously.  Lots of characters get certain aspects blown out of proportion for humor, or just slowly get molded into something they're not for shits over time.

Look at how Albedo, even after XS2 and XS3 showed other sides of him, is still just sort of viewed as a Pedo Psychopath and gets slammed by it in new and creative ways.

These things just kind of happen. I think Zidane did get a few positive moments, though, like I seem to recall there was a whole Behind the Scenes where he didn't do much but mock Vaynard, and generally had the support of everyone else due to this.

In general, if you are not a member of the "Norgard Defense Force", you have not hit rock bottom.  Zidane is not a member of this, therefor, he still has SOME remote sense of dignity to hold onto in his write ups.  The same cannot be said for the like of Gares though <.<
Exception: Fire Emblem's Black Knight, whose only part of the NDF out of pure pity...which reminds me, I need to get back to what I planned with that <_< >_>
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

PKNintendo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »
Haha hey Meeple!

Yeah, Zidane isn't THAT bad off.