Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Round 5~  (Read 4140 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Round 5~
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »
Big Bridge - Gilgamesh > Isolde
STIGMATA - Vayne > Minato
Awe of She - Bridget > Great Gamma
Marionette Messiah - Levi >>> Asch

Four Feinds - Rubicant > Miguel
Faith is for Transient People - I know nothing about either game!
Into the Wilderness - Out of character comments.
Dream of the Shore - LoM music >>>>> CC music. ... so this result weirds me out.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:56:10 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V): Today's a "Hey Nefertiti is pretty cool" day.
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3): STIGMATA on the other hand is awesome every day.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX): Consistently great. Also probably better even comparing the best parts.
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs): No, seriously, what is this scrubfest doing here in the elite 16?

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross): I suppose. Comparatively weak draw.
Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2): SPHILIA is wondertastic etc.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs): Good run, for whichever falls here.
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana): Good pool, though it looks a bit too much like its last year's counterpart.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:57:28 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V)

STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3)

The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX)

The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs)

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross)

Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)

Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs)

Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:59:34 AM »
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3)
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX)
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs)

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross)
Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02:45 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs)- Seconding Tonfa.

Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2)- ...Pass.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Alrighty.  Time to break out the frue rants!!?!  Maybe.

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V)- Hm.  Gilgamesh represents what makes Uematsu stand out- he can create melodies that really penetrate and stick with you, yet have them still sound halfways decent with the equipment available to him at the time.  At the same time, this really tends to mean that you remember songs as stronger than they really were; your head fills in better instrumentation than he actually had to work with.  While Nefertiti lacks that sort of timeless aspect, the difference in actual quality is pretty stark, and it's a good song in its own right.  Hum.  Yeah, ultimately leaning Nefertiti.
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3)- Battle for Everyone's Souls is neat.  They make good use of the Velvet Room theme for BATTLE MUSIC, which is pretty impressive, and the song is undeniably catchy as all get-out in its faster sections.  The one woman wail/piano bits work damn well.  Unfotunately, the other sections leave me literally sitting and waiting for the next fast section to start.  Mood rollercoaster in a very unintentional way.
STIGMATA... well.  Mitose is a brilliant vocalist, and STIGMATA, unlike nearly everything else I've ever heard of hers, really lets her cut loose and break into power notes.  The background music is fairly typical Gust, but with a sort of backdrop of dissonance that really works well with the context of the song.  The bridge has just enough pure cheese to appeal at the "RAWK!!" level of course, just an incredible overall package.  Definitely my favorite remaining battle track, whether it beats out the other mood tracks or Song of Mana we'll have to see.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX)- Awe of She has a great rhythm, but I can't help but feel it would actually benefit from being way faster.  Maybe it's just a bias due to the instramentation involved?  Hard to say.  The ending adds quite a bit to it, though still leaves the song feeling good but not so good as it could have been.  The Fate, of course, is 100% mood track, very much tailored to the scene is represents in-game (awesome scene, of course).  So a lot of the piece is ambience.  The climatic bit though... good use of the ol' electric violin, and the effect on the whole is brilliant at capturing the melancholic mood of the game at its most serious.  So ultimately have to vote the fanboy route here.
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs)- Meaning of Birth reminds me of Big Bridge in a way; it rides the strength of its core melody rather a lot more than it does its own native strength as a song.  It works well enough in context, but the out-of-context listening value is somewhat dependant on memory over actual listening.  Marionette Messiah meanwhile is by and large catchy.  Like most things SRW, it runs on rhythm and cheese and pulls it off pretty well.  I think I have to hand it to Judecca here.

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross)- Four Fiends is another one of those great early Uematsu efforts.  Memorable, catchy, fits the character of the fights well, but with enough simplicity to be easily played with inferior sound.
Prisoners of Fate is pretty much the anthropomorphic personification of emotional torque.  I'm convinced it's WHY people remember the Dead Sea far better than anything else in Chrono Cross.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs)- Okay, so, keep in mind that I'm actually an absolute sucker for good piano.  So, y'know, Shimomura is a Goddess and all that.  So anyway, we start out with the intensely lonely solo bit.  Even when it switches to two hands, you can almost imagine it as someone monologuing about their own loneliness.  You get more and more background as it becomes more intense until it's almost as though other voices are joining in.  It drops back down again, only to be supplanted by the full orchestra drowning out the piano.  Finally it sweeps around such that the piano actually plays when the orchestra is softest, then into a movement where the piano shifts keys, as though two different voices.  It sort of goes back and forth between these two for the rest of the piece, and... well.  The whole effect of voices seeking each other out among the noise makes for a really moving story in its way.  You could really go on a while longer about this bit, because it echos incredibly strongly with the whole Aya and Maya thing.
It's a lot harder to find words for Into the Wilderness.  It... is Wild ARMs.  Not only is it inescapably iconic to the series, not only does it contain all of Naruke's favorite tricks, just the instraments involved and arrangement speak volumes of the overriding theme of overcoming loneliness the series has.
All told... I dunno, I guess I'm gonna go with the piece stronger on its own merits, but the similarity in theme is funny.
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana)- Uh-oh, more Shimomura.  This one is a lot simpler though, a marriage of the beautiful and sweeping overture with the recurring Theme of Mana, carried by vocal.  Just a very pretty and upbeat song in general. 
Dream of the Shore is... well, also straightforward.  Plays well to a violin bias, has a great meloncholy mood to it without really being slow.  I'd call it a brilliant mood setter, but it's actually a little bit out of place where it plays.
Hum.  Ultimatley voting mood.  Go, Mitsuda!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:22:42 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »

MAIN TOURNAMENT

<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:49 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs) - Messiah still around?!  Obviously Tonfa, super, and myself are missing something.  Not that it's bad or anything, but meh.

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross) - Oh, close.  Going for classic and upbeat.
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana) - Much as I like Song of Mana, Dream is probably the best piece on the CC soundtrack to me.  Pretty close.

I wonder if this makes me a leftist.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:25:02 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the remaining tracks. Only one or two tracks stand out as definitive champ material while all the rest range from "pretty good" to "inoffensive" to "what the heck is this still doing here?" Eh, whatcha gonna do.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 05:08:40 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »
Need to remember to vote on these

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) - ...huh.  Well...on the one hand, Bridge is a classic.  On the other hand, Nef is hot.  Both have slowdown points, but they both work well.  I'll give it to Bridge today.
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3) - Battle for Everyone's Souls.  Stigmata is nice, but...I don't like the vocals or the background music much.  It fits for the fight, but...I don't feel it's that strong.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX) - Cluster Amaryllis.
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs) - Birth.

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross) - Fiends.
Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) - Faith.  Never been a huge fan of either.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) - Wilderness
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana) - Mana.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 05:50:44 AM »
This pool will be closing tomorrow so get your votes in now!

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 05:54:40 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) - Nefertiti's a truly amazing song, whereas Gilgamesh suffers majorly from the retro music quality problem, as CK's said. While it's a brilliantly made piece, both of them are, and the quality of Nefertiti tips the scales in its favour.
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3) - Stigmata's an odd one. I like it, and I know I've claimed it to be a potential winner before, but I'm just not seeing it today. It's good, but a little too quick to change and jumps between several styles in quick succession. Battle Hymn is... also an odd song, but it's a pretty consistently good one. Again, changes between styles pretty quickly, but it suits the mood of the song more. I'm gonna have to go with Battle Hymn, if only because it's really grown on me over the duration of this tournament, whereas Stigmata's been pretty much ignored.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX) - Odd. Fate starts out as kinda meh to me, whereas Awe kicks in from the start and strikes me as an awesome song. It then repeats what seems like about 20 seconds of music throughout the whole song, whereas Fate becomes this amazing piece that I can really imagine working in-game (despite me not having heard it in SH:C) and works out of game as well, hence winning this match. (If this were You're Not Alone instead of Awe, it'd've been better. ;o)
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs) - Difficult. Birth didn't hold my attention for too long, but what was there was pretty damn amazing. Marionette, alternatively, was catchy, but pretty poorly done past that. Thing is, I can re-listen to Birth and realise that it is pretty damn good, and good enough to be Marionette.

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross) - Wait, why is Prisoners in the final 16? >_> Four Fiends is classic, Prisoners is meh. Easy choice~
Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) - Faith is definitely an awesome piece. Upbeat, nice to listen to and good quality all at once. Potential finalist, maybe~? Exec's good, but definitely nowhere near good enough to beat Faith.
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) - It doesn't matter which one I vote for here. My quick count has the score at 13-5, so Wilderness has probably lost. But hell, I've voted on the rest already, I'm gonna vote this one. Although neither one particularly appeals to me. Meh, PE Theme kept my interest more, I'll go with that one.
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana) - Song of Mana anti-vote. Am I about the only person here who can't stand this song? >_>  Dream, on the other hand, is pretty damn awesome in its own way, although I don't see it being finals-quality.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:14 PM »
Nefertiti vs. Battle on the Big Bridge - Unarranged Gilgamesh doesn't really stand up that well.
STIGMATA vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls - Both great. I'm going to have to go with the more beautiful of the two.
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis vs. Awe of She - Fate doesn't go anywhere and has woeful noisemaking midway. Awe Of She is somewhat competent.
The Meaning of Birth vs. Marionette Messiah - Meaning is nice but doesn't go anywhere either. Might beat some tracks but not Marionette.

Battle with the Four Fiends vs. Prisoners of Fate - I can't claim to understand why Fiends seems to get so much love. Imprisoned is beautiful, albiet a bit directionless.
Faith is for the Transient People vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. - Both of these are nice.
Main Theme (Orchestral) vs. Into the Wilderness - Seems simple enough.
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World vs. Song of Mana - Dream is nice, but Song is the pinnacle of beautiful vocals.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 03:03:50 AM »
Fiends v. Fate - Fiends.  Fate's probably a better composed track overall, but Fiends is more appropriate for what it is, and I didn't have to click the link to remember what it was.  Memorability + Appropriateness win out.

Would vote on the rest but APATHY DINOSAUR

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 05:25:10 AM »
Results!

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) [12] vs. Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) [8]
STIGMATA (Mana Khemia) [11] vs. Battle Hymn of the Soul/Battle for Everyone's Souls (Persona 3) [9]
The Fate ~ Cluster Amaryllis (Shadow Hearts Covenant) [11] vs. Awe of She (Guilty Gear XX) [9]
The Meaning of Birth (Tales of the Abyss) [7] vs. Marionette Messiah (Super Robot Wars OGs) [12]

Battle with the Four Fiends (Final Fantasy IV) [11] vs. Prisoners of Fate (Chrono Cross) [10]
Faith is for the Transient People (Mountain of Faith) [8] vs. EXEC_SPHILIA/. (Ar Tonelico 2) [10]
Main Theme (Orchestral) (Parasite Eve) [14] vs. Into the Wilderness (Wild ARMs) [6]
Dream of the Shore Bordering Another World (Chrono Cross) [8] vs. Song of Mana (Legend of Mana) [12]

The next round will be up shortly!