Author Topic: Season 52 rankings: Preliminary thread  (Read 5484 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Season 52 rankings: Preliminary thread
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »
WA5: Yeah, I think its about time this game had a chance
FW Prier: Still curious how LPT does in the DL, and we haven't ranked solo FWs in a while, so *shrugs*

Also, I will say this now...

For the love of god NO SaGa FWs.  That game went through...how many ranking sessions to get all the characters it has ranked now?  And the fact that people still don't agree on certain aspects of the game...yeah.  I like SaGa, but more ranks it does not need at this point (furthermore, only character I'd remotely support is Kylin only cause we are completely lacking in a monster, and he's the only one who can actually DO SHIT under all interps, though, IIRC, the main reason he didn't get ranked in the past was due to lack of art)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Idun

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »
I hope I'm doing this right. First, what are FWs? And.

Two nods now, for SO1. SO seems to be a series widely played here which is a good thing. SO is awesome stuffs. And Xenosaga 3 seems to have been played by many and consensually disliked, though I think there's tweaking in XS3 that makes some of the characters particularly useful. I'd suggest WA5 since WA seems to be extremely popular here, but I haven't played it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
FW Varin Omega(DDS) -- DDS boss who is both relatively significant in-game and a solid dueller.  How'd he get passed up, anyway?

By being a marginal but passable idea from not the strongest DL game in the world? Yoshiken: You can nom Mother 3 here if you want. Varin would be ranked as plain DDS, same as Heat.

For P4, I honestly think it can wait until the next ranking season with all the PCs -and- bosses. Don't much feel the love for a SH2-style rank, even if I want to see the game ranked. If it has to wait in parts regardless, may as well just leave it be for now.

Yes, let's ignore a strong rank because some people want to avoid ranking a few spoiler bosses, this is the way. There's  nothing wrong with waiting (Or arguing to rank the bosses now if people are into that). It's stronger than most of the games we've ranked of late, just due to the mix of good playership and high exposure.

I'd rather wait a bit to have a sure clean hit. I'm uncertain on the game as a whole, and I feel uncomfortable with ranking games so early - it's not just the spoiler bosses, it's mainly the feeling that I honestly can't see why it must be ranked NOW RIGHT NOW. I'm sure P4 can wait one more ranking period to get in, at which point we can discuss things in a more lax manner - not to mention that we're still sorting out interp calls for the game (that came up recently!) and all that. I feel it's honestly a bit early, strong numbers or no. The game can always get stronger in the interim, and it honestly can't hurt to have a little patience. I'm not denying the game is a good pick - I'm just uncomfortable with going up to arms and ranking it straight up. I know it has a notably better base than, say, SH2 (the last game I remember being ranked in such a hurry). But I'd rather avoid a situation like that even in theory.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
Idun: FWs are forgotten warriors, either:

Characters from games that are already ranked (Like say Varin from DDS1) or single characters from unranked games that we suggest as a test for the game. Cloud of Darkness from FF3 is one of those.

Snow- P4's been out seven months and won't get a match until it's been out for eight months. That isn't rushing. Otherwise, if you can point out in any particular way that WA5 is notably stronger, feel free to do so. The playership's there, the interest is there and so is the demand. What is there to be uncertain on, besides a few bosses?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
Persona 4
FW: Varin Omega
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 05:44:40 PM »
To me, it's mostly the fact that others are also not very firm in the idea. This is probably just a kneejerk from habit, since we haven't ranked a game this quickly since... SH2. And the only thing WA5 is better than P4 is exactly the time it had.

My point, though, is that P4 has a sensible reason for waiting - and I'd rather give it the waiting time, because I still don't feel comfortable with a fast ranking - I mean, why not give it another period so at least the spoilers settle down? It's mostly habit, but I like to think that giving things time to settle (even if only on a theoretical level) never hurts. That and I don't care about making segmented rankings. WA5, though, is just a matter of "just get in or die already", it had the time. I could also be swayed into abstaining on WA5 as well, but then I'd just abstain on this entire phase period.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
Wild Arms 5
Persona 4

I wouldn't be opposed to a FW: Prier, but thats about it for me.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
Wild Arms 5 - Just rank it already.
Persona 4 - I'm not convinced by any of the FWs up for ranking at all. Varin I spit at as usual, Little Viki is... why bother (Ruby's okay but I dunno...), Giffca was and is a stupid idea (yay splitpath PC who gets notably worse DL-wise in the game where he's no longer splitpath!).

I may flip P4 to something else with a good argument (it is a biiit soon? SH2 is a bad precedent and WA4 had OMGWTF playership) but I'm not convinced by what has been put forward so far.

EDIT2: Okay, concerns about the system addressed, so it's back to tentative P4 support.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:42:52 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
Persona 4
Fire Emblem 10

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
EDIT: WA5/P4 are running away with it anyway, and I just realised the rule for FWs is horribly flawed, and they can sneak in with like 3 votes if no #3 idea takes off. So throwing my support behind an innocent yet reasonable FW idea to be that #3, La Pucelle: Prier

No, that's a mistake. Any FW idea has to have more support than the weakest game to make the final cut. IE It used to be it only had to be third best, but now it has to be second in score. I'll go fix that, forgot to edit that when we went from three to two game slots.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:34:56 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
People are voting for WA5 based on the idea of "get in or die already", but even though people are seriously considering Prier, no one seems to be nomming her. The fact that LP:T has been out longer than WA5 and has proven to draw better in NR (and that people are still seriously considering her) seems to suggest to me that Prier is the stronger rank.

I'm guessing it's just general backlash against the Forgotten Warrior concept in general, then? Or maybe people just -really- like the WA5 bosses...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »
The FW concept itself being seen with wary eyes makes sense given we've had a bad pregress history with them before. In spite of their conceptual nature being "they're test dummies, and we throw them away if they fail", actually throwing them away when they failed proved to be, time and again, roughly equivalent to having a perfectly healthy tooth pulled out by a barehanded Middle Ages farmer. I also don't think that representation is worth much weight in rankings given the nature of the DL group. So, FW ideas just tend to not attain much clout.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:24 AM »
WA5 is stronger by the numbers last time I checked, neither was very strong in NR near the end. LP strikes me as inoffensive but not better than either game we've got up.
-------------------

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »
Not changing my noms.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (Votedraw wasn't that bad last I heard. I see a lot of people voting on Benjamin/Phoebe.)
FW Kletian/Cletienne (FFT) (Bonus content with Lion Wars (albeit little), unique class from a loved game in the Duelling League.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:32:54 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
I don't think either WA5 or P4 are really great choices (WA5 because I've gotten the impression from other people that the duellers wouldn't translate well, P4 because I think it's just a little too new (though knowing my track record I probably voted for it last time...)). So...

Kingdom Hearts - Full rank.
Pokemon DPP - Starters, the legendaries on the cases, Lucario, and definitely NOT Bidoof.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
Persona 4
Wild Arms 5

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
This topic closes when voting closes on site, so get your votes in now!
-------------------

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »
Persona 4
Wild Arms 5

Ehhhhh, sure, why not.

I would vote for Prier FW, but the system's set up so that her being a FW would eat one of those two slots, and objectively I doubt she deserves in more than WA5. Maybe later.

P4 I share Elfboy's concerns on and I will *kill* people if we rank spoiler bosses this early. (There's always time later, unless people with objections can see some obvious ranks next period? >_>) But I think it'll be fine. Historically, well liked games that hit a bunch of writers fast are.

All the possible already-ranked-game FWs we've got up are kinda "meh.". When Varin looks like the best idea, yeah. <_<
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 10:44:03 PM »
Sora forgotton Warrior
Prier forgotton warrior

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »
Just as a random thought...ranking someone who is a spoiler...is really only a spoiler on battle system as long there is nothing in the write-up discussing plot, which can be avoided.  I agree with MF's assessment that ranking the killer doesn't spoil anything as long as they're not NOTED as the killer.  Also, there are really only 2 spoiler-ish bosses (Hippie and Killer) - the other two rankable ones are not real significant spoilers (more akin to...not Necrons, but bosses that really don't spoil the plot of the game). 

Not that I'm arguing explicitly FOR ranking them all now (not sure where I stand on that yet), but it's not like we can't rank and avoid the spoilers too.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Lurkerson

• Denizen
  • Punii punii
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 12:37:32 AM »
Persona 4
Xenosaga Episode 3

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 02:10:01 AM »
Wild Arms 5
Forgotten Warrior: Hugo Hewitt (Wild Arms 4)

Meh.

Taishyr

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:03 AM »
Persona 4
FW: Hugo Hewitt (WA4)

eh, fuckitall. WA5's gonna be up anyway, might as well push for one of the more egregious standouts amongst FWs.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2009, 02:36:02 AM »
I guess Hugo and Prier aren't quite as popular as Naesala...

Or maybe OK hype is just that powerful?

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:53 AM »
Just as a random thought...ranking someone who is a spoiler...is really only a spoiler on battle system as long there is nothing in the write-up discussing plot, which can be avoided.  I agree with MF's assessment that ranking the killer doesn't spoil anything as long as they're not NOTED as the killer.  Also, there are really only 2 spoiler-ish bosses (Hippie and Killer) - the other two rankable ones are not real significant spoilers (more akin to...not Necrons, but bosses that really don't spoil the plot of the game). 

Not that I'm arguing explicitly FOR ranking them all now (not sure where I stand on that yet), but it's not like we can't rank and avoid the spoilers too.

Too easy to spoil that they're major characters though, their relative power(This may or may not apply if they're all Godlikes, but if one's Godlike and the others are not it's going to stand out. Megaten games are oddly good at making their plot important bosses and final bosses notably stronger than usual.) and way too hard to avoid any mention of a character's role in plot, in writeups.

It's not really worth it, not when people can just be patient.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter