imageRegister

Author Topic: Season 52 rankings- making the final cut  (Read 8407 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Season 52 rankings- making the final cut
« on: June 19, 2009, 05:15:41 AM »
Alright, here's the final barrier to what gets into the RPGDL. There's three questions...

1. Have you played this game?

2. Rank it?

3. Why or why not?

Some good reasons not to rank a game...

A. Not enough voters at the RPGDL.
B. Too hard to compare them to other RPG characters (assuming you've seen them that is).
C. Not interesting enough (i.e. boring in a duel and not much to write about them)
D. Other (please specify)

2/3 support (66.66...%) is needed for a game to be ranked. Each character in the game also needs 66%- IE if Wild ARMs 5 is ranked with 95% of the voters but only 15% support ranking Volsung and the rest no/abstain on him, he won't be ranked.

The games this time:

Wild ARMs 5
Persona 4
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Season 52 rankings- making the final cut
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 05:17:11 AM »
Wild ARMs 5

No (Just started the intro, that's it)
Abstain

I'd like to play the game before weighing in. No to Volsung, no opinion otherwise.

Persona 4

Yes
Yes

PC cast only. The numbers are good all around, especially internal. I see no reason to wait on it. Bosses are late and a few are spoilers, so waiting on them doesn't bother me. I have no issue splitting the game's ranking, doubly so when I'm iffy on a couple of the boss ideas in the first place.

Edit: Changing Souji vote to a yes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:34:58 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:36:51 AM »
Wild ARMs 5

No (Just started the intro, that's it)
Abstain

I'd like to play the game before weighing in. No to Volsung, no opinion otherwise.

Persona 4

Yes
Yes

PC cast only. The numbers are good all around, especially internal. I see no reason to wait on it. Bosses are late and a few are spoilers, so waiting on them doesn't bother me. I have no issue splitting the game's ranking, doubly so when I'm iffy on a couple of the boss ideas in the first place.

These are solid reasons and the bosses can always be added later.

EDIT: Yes to Souji.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:51:40 PM by Nephrite »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:45:18 AM »
Well, between Elf and Pyro, I've been reminded of what I was missing!

Wild ARMs 5

Yes
Yes

Yes to all PCs, Sentinels... know what? I can go with holding Double Action to only one at a time, and Volsung's got a vaguely usable form before that - heck, I'd almost allow Legio Volsung. So, Yes to Volsung too.
EDIT: Ice Queen and Nightburn too!

Persona 4

Partial
Yes

I like to avoid split ranks, but now that it's here, rank PCs, 8-bit, and killer, abstain on others.
EDIT2: I'll give Soji the OK. Armageddon was my big objection to Minato; Soji however loses to... probably a decent number of people even with access to every Persona. Specifically, no way Insta-Heal prevents game-over status from killing him, and is on Personas that get wrecked in other ways.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 06:15:39 PM by Ultradude »
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:50:36 AM »
Wild Arms 5:

Played.
Rank the PCs, Nightburn, the Sentinels, and Ice Queen Avril. (Ranking her seems slightly odd but not ranking her creates huge Avril votesplits, and not ranking Avril just rubs me wrong plotwise.) No to Volsung.

Persona 4:

Not played. Abstain on the rank as a whole, but no to any bosses. Sounds like the game's one sure-fire boss rank is a good call for what we did with Kato. EDIT: No Souji.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:01:03 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 05:57:34 AM »
Wild Arms 5:
Played
Rank PCs, Nightburn, Sentinels. I'll abstain on IQA for now and think about it later. NEB may have the right idea here though. And honestly it's essentially what we did with Fei and Id.
Pity Volsung has that infinite turn thing hyped for him. He'd be a surefire rank otherwise.

Edit: Not abstaining with IQA, rank her separately from Avril herself.

Persona 4:
Played, loved.
Rank PCs. No to bosses. Straightforward in why this is.
Are we thinking about Souji here? I'm not against ranking him myself, but I have a feeling everyone else is going for "no" and not thinking that he qualifies as a PC.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:36:00 AM by Pyro »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:58:54 AM »
Forgot about Souji, thanks. He can burn.

Edit: The irony, it burns. I blame OK.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:51:02 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 06:01:28 AM »
WA 5
1. Yes
2. Yes to PCs, Nightburn, Ice Queen Avril (Or else you'll be having legitimate Light-Godlike vote splits, not to mention that IQA certainly stands out as a character), and the Sentinels. No to Volsung

P4
1. Yes
2. Yes to non-Souji PCs, no to bosses and Souji. Necron bosses can go die, and doesn't hurt to wait on the spoiler boss considering that it's actually a legit spoiler for once.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:20:59 AM »
Persona 4

Yes.

2. Rank it?

I... hmmm... actually, yes. While I still have reservations about it being ranked so early, it's a game I personally really want in the DL, and it got the internal up to speed really fast. It's an interesting, colorful rank that brings solid and neat duellers to the table across the board.

For ranks, yes to PCs, including Souji. No to bosses, they're too spoilertastic to rank now. We can - and will - come back to them later.

EDIT: I changed my mind on Souji. Blame super. I -may- regret this later, but the arguing all around convinced me that he's beatable enough to not be Bluelike.

Wild ARMs 5

Partially, and will be sorta muscled into actually beating it if it gets ranked.

2. Rank it?

Yes. Just get over with this already. For ranks, whatever you people want except Volsung. He can die in a fire. EDIT: also, yes to IQA.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:23:45 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Lurkerson

• Denizen
  • Punii punii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:28:35 AM »
Wild Arms 5:
1) Yes
2) Yes to PCs, Sentinels, and Nightburn.  Abstain on Ice Queen Avril.  No to Volsung.
3) I wanna say that possible medium confusion would be a good reason not to rank the PCs, but honestly WA3 seems to do well enough.  That and my real objection is simply hating this game's plot and characters with a passion, which isn't really a good basis for voting against it.

Persona 4:
1) Yes
2) Yes to non-main PCs, 8-bit hero, and Kunino Sagiri.  Abstain on Ameno Sagiri and Mother.
3) I don't think ranking the two bosses I voted yes for will be too spoilery, and I think there should be some representation from the bosses here.  I don't think it would be that big of a deal to rank the others either, but I'm willing to wait on those.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:38 AM »
For once I've played the games being ranked!

Wild ARMs 5
1. YES!
2. YES! PCs, IQA, Nightburn, Sentinels. No Volsung.

Persona 4
1. YES!
2. YES! PCs, no bosses yet. Izanagi Souji for Puny! ::Is shot::

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:40 AM »
Wild Arms 5

Played it? Yes.

Rank it? Yes.

Who? PCs, Ice Queen Avril, Nightburn, Sentinels, and... yeah, I'm okay with Volsung. I wouldn't be hyping the infinite turn ability. And it'd be nice to see some more High Godlikes apart from Myria and Ghaleon.

Persona 4

Played it? Nope.

Rank it? I'd rather wait one more ranking period. It's obviously a strong enough game to get this far, and it seems like people are only supporting a partial rank anyway. I'd rather wait until the bosses are less of a spoiler so that the whole game can be ranked all at once. As it is, the game is going to be one of the main ranks -this- period AND -next- period where everyone starts hyping "Rank FWs P4 Bosses."

That said, I have no problem with seeing it -all- ranked now so that it doesn't have to be stretched across two ranking periods.

Who? PCs, Izanagi Souji (Not the first SMT main to get shafted into Light, hello Serph!), Ameno Sagiri, Kunino Sagiri, 8-bit hero

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »
Wild ARMs 5

No
Abstain

Persona 4

No
Yes

Edit: Oh hell fucking no to Souji.

Flipped one answer on played it or not, otherwise Super's votes and reasonings work fine for me.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 06:54:02 AM »
Wild ARMs 5

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Rank all PCs, don't rank Volsung, abstain on other bosses.  Volsung can infinite turn perfectly legally after turn 3 even if you hold turn restrictions against bosses, but you better be doing that for the loads of other bosses in the DL.  The odds of doing the infinite turn thing is low, but if you don't allow that, you better not allow spamming of low odds stuff for other bosses either.

Persona 4

1) Yes.
2) Abstain
3) Rank non-Souji PCs, abstain on Souji, no to the bosses, no to Rise because I know some morons are seriously going to hype that.  Izanagi-only Souji is similarly silly unless you start banning other optional stuff for all the other PCs in the DL.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:04:48 AM by Talaysen »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
WA5

1) No, and will not until I can defeat the loading screen.

2) Yes.

3) Sounds fairly similar to WA3 in a lot of ways.

Persona 4

1) Yes

2) Rank PCs, including Souji

3) While I don't agree that the bosses need to stay out right now, it's better that they all get ranked as a group than piecemeal.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
Rise only has stats, right? Like Fuuka?

She doesn't actually have anything that can damage opponents, right?

I'd like to state that my definition of 'PC' generally includes this ability in some form (Sorry FE Bards).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »
Rise doesn't even get into battle. She's exactly like Fuuka.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:26 AM »
Rise only has stats, right? Like Fuuka?

She doesn't actually have anything that can damage opponents, right?

I'd like to state that my definition of 'PC' generally includes this ability in some form (Sorry FE Bards).

Correct.

And FE Bards are clearly PCs, and rankable.  They just lose to everyone in the DL (well they tie with Augst...).  So there's just no point in ranking them.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
Haven't played either game.
Both seem rankable to me, from what I've seen around the site, although I'd rather wait before ranking P4 bosses.
Seem like they're similar to their already-ranked prequels, although I'd like some chance to get hold of P4 before finding out about spoiler bosses. ;o

Taishyr

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
WA5
1) No
2) Abstain. Only person I'm comfortable saying no to is Volsung.

P4
1) Yes
2) If it's gonna be up this season... sure.

3) Rank all non-Rise members of the PC cast, including Souji, and DW1 Hero. Abstain on Kunino-Sagiri/The Killer, no to Izanami, Disco Eye In The Sky, and Rise.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:33:13 AM by Taitoro »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »
Rise doesn't even have a battle form; I wasn't going to even count her.
-------------------

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 02:13:18 PM »
Persona 4
Ok, as you know, I've played and love the game.  Whether to rank it...well, couple thoughts here.  I can see both waiting a session to get them all at once, ranking them all now, and doing a partial now.  

1) Waiting a session means we can still get them in and another 2 games (assuming quantity, here).  We'd rank just the 7-8 party members.  This is not really a huge issue - there's a minimum of 2, max of 4 bosses here (and the argument for, "if you can't say their name in a ranking topic, then don't rank them!" is...generally true, although see below).  It's not a huge loss.  The alternative here is to rank the the 2 that aren't significant spoilers, and hold on the other 2 that kind of are.  Unfortunately, the 2 that are would be the most important bosses to rank!  And the 2 remaining do have some semi-issues...although not too significant, really (and people consider them for ranking, so...).

2) All at once - for this, see MF's post in the ranking topic discussion.  Just because a spoiler is ranked does not mean they need spoiled.  It just means they fight (PC, boss, optional super-boss).  Granted, part of the issue here is that it's hard to fit them in to this set - but just because they have a boss form doesn't mean it needs spoiled.  I can come up with several spoiler-free write-ups, BtS set-ups, etc. that explain the person and spoil nothing.  So, really, I don't think spoiler waiting is too much of a necessity - even with Masaji Kato, he falls in the same thing (would fit for a party member, almost, and has plot in both games...really doesn't mean anything, and him being the final boss spoils very little, to me - I mean, I could tell you, say, the final boss of FF1 is Garland, and it really doesn't spoil much - you just know he'll appear at the end).

3) All in all, partial is probably the safest bet.  It's been gone over already, I just don't think it's as necessary as others indicate.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID!  As for whether to rank the game or not...it looks like it's getting in, so the "wait a session to rank the game" probably won't do much.  I think the game's ready - I held out for some other SMT ranks, but it's built up a lot (and overcome WA5 which has had, what, over a year? - granted, interest).  So rank it.  And rank the PCs (Soji, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Teddie, Naoto) and the 4 significant bosses.  As I said, I don't think you have to necessarily spoil them just because they're big, important players in the game (and 2 of them are spoilers to the extent that Zeromus is a spoiler as the final boss in FF4).

Wild ARMs 5
Damnit, I was hoping it would get snubbed another season!  It's just so funny!

Anyway, played it, find it average-ish or so for the series, above-ish overall.  Worthy of ranking, I'd say, for all that P4 owns it in like all categories (except for Elfiness).  

But someone asked for a Volsung argument?  Sure, I'll bite.

1) If you allow all forms for all characters, then Kartikeya's duel form still has the same issue.  Granted, he also has another valid form without it, so...not as much of an issue, and an easy counter-example for this argument.  But he'd like that duel form a lot.

2) There tends to be a consensus among a lot of people to ban "overpowered" stuff in general.  People hold Ghaleon to his in-game combos (well, some...very few, actually), disallow the reflect aspect of FFT Reflect Mail (which is not something you can have in-game), disallow other boss special effects (Fallen One/Fou-Lu's skill that does the same thing to hit anything, period - most people call bosses immune to it), don't let certain boss skills work (Absorb from Yunalesca against bosses), disallow form-chains even with "agreed to" form-chain allowance rules (Jenna's form-chain, which keeps all effects in place through both battles), etc.  I don't see why people wouldn't just do the same here - not allow the infinite chaining to work.  It's not like people allow Tales characters to do infinite combos, right?  

3) As a corollary to the above...how many people see it?  I saw Kartikeya chain (just 2 of them together), but have never seen Volsung do it.   Two ways to look at this:

A) If we have high vote draw from "external" sources, then it's not likely people saw the thing, and thus don't know about it.  So probably won't vote like that, or alternatively vote in a different way than "normal".

B) If we have low vote draw from "external" sources, then, hey, the general "consensus" allowances noted in part 2 above hold true, and thus people won't give him that potential.  

4) More a question - can someone clarify something for me?  Meeple and I had this discussion, and I would also like to get other thoughts.  Volsung had 2 fights before the frue final - one had the Double Attack, the other didn't.  Aren't both legal, and doesn't it sound similar to the Kartikeya note above?  Or am I mis-remembering the plot, and the one form was a hologram or something?  If they're both deemed, "legal", then hey, just hold him to the other form, the same way other bosses have that done to them.  If not?  See the above stuff, with the thought that people on the "external" side won't see that "legal" difference, and possibly vote on one of the 2 out of 3 forms without it.

I really don't think this is as bad as people say it is, for the reasons above.  He's plot important, and the "issue" noted I do not think is as bad as people are making it out to be.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT - rank Dean, Rebecca, Avril (no additional Ice Queen Avril - it's a force of will in her head, although I can see the point to rank them both, especially since I came up with it originally as an afterthought), Greg, Carol, Chuck, Nightburn, Persephone, Kartikeya, Elvis, Fereydoon, Volsung.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Wild Arms 5:
1) Yes
2) Yes to PCs, Sentinels, and Nightburn.  Abstain on Ice Queen Avril.  No to Volsung.
3) I wanna say that possible medium confusion would be a good reason not to rank the PCs, but honestly WA3 seems to do well enough.  That and my real objection is simply hating this game's plot and characters with a passion, which isn't really a good basis for voting against it.

Persona 4:
1) Yes
2) Yes to non-main PCs, 8-bit hero, and Kunino Sagiri.  Abstain on Ameno Sagiri and Mother.
3) I don't think ranking the two bosses I voted yes for will be too spoilery, and I think there should be some representation from the bosses here.  I don't think it would be that big of a deal to rank the others either, but I'm willing to wait on those.

Only difference is yes to Ice Queen Avril, and abstain on Killer.

Edit: Yes to Souji. There are enough people who are able to beat him to justify ranking him.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:31:41 PM by dude789 »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
WA5

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Rank PCs and non-Volsung bosses.

P4

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. PCs only for now, sure (minus Souji).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 01:02:20 AM by El Cideon »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Wild Arms 5
1. No
2. Abstain
3. Abstain

Persona 4
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes on PCs. Abstain on bosses until I think for a bit.