Author Topic: World of Warcraft Mafia - Main Topic  (Read 22774 times)

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: World of Warcraft Mafia - Main Topic
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
At this point I won't be voting for anyone, then, Rat. I don't like several facets of Tom and Alex (for different reasons), but they act that way a lot as town (exclusively so, in fact, for the Tom I've seen so far). One thing odd about Tom (besides the usual) is that he's doing his summary that he thinks isn't helping anyone, openly stating as much... and he lists Ciato there. You know, poor, confirmed townie due to flip at death Ciato. Why exactly is he posting thoughts on her at this stage? Weird, weird, weird. Smodge's... everything language skills-related is calling to the homicidal, culling side of me, but I violently suppress those deep urges.

Had QR been here I would vote for her to bring her halfway to hammer and thus make her realize that she needs to weigh in more. However, I have no reason to suspect she is indeed here at this time, so that can wait. Especially if LD responds in a way that sits well with me, thus freeing up my vote on her.

I don't think I would be voting for you now. This is not an attempt to suck up to you; you know full well how I believe that we think alike on many subjects. By examining your arguments in that light, I get to judge your townness by how much they deviate from what I would myself consider reasonable. In any case, I lack enough data on you thus far to suspect you, and if you ARE town then I would be losing someone who thinks like I do to a mislynch. I'm quite willing to ignore Alex's 'Rat is always scum' for now.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
The general statement "X, not because I am scum, but because..." is language more likely to be used by scum than by town.
Why? Do you have any proof of that? Or are we supposed to just believe you?

Tom's example there perfectly illustrates what I'm saying, by the by.  The general statement "X, not because I am scum, but because..." is language more likely to be used by scum than by town.  This is the entire reason why alignment claims are scummy, scum tend to do them to reinforce people's psychological perception of them as town. 

It's about on the same level as "lurking is scummy."  What do you want me to do, pull out statistics?  o_O

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »

Right. Ciato is dead. I knew that.

I'm obviously in no mental state to be playing mafia at the current hour, and there is the proof. Yes, I guess Ciato has a valid reason for lurking, being dead and all >.>"
I think I'll call it a night. Sorry for being generally useless (which is why I was avoinding posting unless I had something solid to say >.>)
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
He DID mention Ciato, and not in a way that indicates he was conscious of the fact that she was dead. His response didn't reply to my question. I've made this particular mistake as scum (I feel that really dumb mistakes like this are VERY scummy, having done it... so many times myself. Seriously, Touhou mafia, final day, what.)

So. I wanted to shove discussion in a new direction after Alex's post pointed out things were stalling, thus my sudden burst of hyperaggression. Tom has, however, one-upped me AGAIN and I feel compelled to vote for him once more. Still want him to reply to my earlier question (there is a point to it!)

##Unvote, ##Vote: Dread Thomas.

This doesn't in any way make me not want QR to respond to me, but at this point there's no reason to leave a vote there.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »
##Vote: QR

LET'S DO IT. QR! You posted, what, three times in day 1? One self-confessed jokevote on me, asking what a meme is, and defaulting to LAL! Day 2! You vote Smodge to get things started! Well, get this: I don't think Smodge is scum! I think Smodge is.. well.. Smodge! You are also keeping a CLOSE EYE on Lady Door for not being the typical newbie... well, I don't think she's playing any worse than I was the first few times around (I know I was scum shut up I don't mean it like that), so obviously, our expectations for average newbie play are probably lower than what's actually likely.

I was sleeping, Carth.  *grin*  I know, such folly.

Anyway, so much more to sift through.  *joy*

Smodge has stepped up and given me a lot to read.  After his responses to our concerns, if he's scum, he's doing a darn good job of hiding it from me.  I think for now, I feel he's closer to town than the latter.  As such.  ##Unvote Smodge.
--------------------------
Now, for the snark fest around Tom and Carth.  Tom, there is a reason that Alex listed you, Smodge and LD as newbies.  LD is obvious and so I think I'll leave her out of this example.  But you and Smodge, although you have played in a lot of games, have the tendancy to make the same repeated mistakes early games that tend to get you either killed off or obfuscating an issue to the point someone else, usually someone innocent, gets lynched.  What Carth points out (snarkiness aside), is that if you look at the people who play this game the best, they consider their words carefully.  They usually re-read their posts more than a couple times to make sure that what they say is phrased in a way that helps everyone understand their viewpoint.  Now, you and Smodge have mucho enthusiasm for the game.  No one would deny this.  But the reason you're still called 'the newbies' at this point is that the same mistakes keep taking you down.  You're not 'the newbie' when you make whole NEW mistakes that take you down (see me in Touhou *facepalm*).
What I mean to say by that, is that I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

I've phrased wording like that in.. a bunch of other mafia games on DL, and I've been town in all of them. I'm saying that your theory doesn't work.
I believe I said something similar to the following in Touhou.  It still applies.  Just because everyone plays differently than you do, does not mean they're playing the game wrong.  If everyone plays a game one way and you play it differently...*waits for the mental leap*...yes, you're not playing the game right.  Mafia is a social game where discussion is analyzed and dissected and observed within an inch of its life.  Why?  Because it's ALL we have.  If you think my logic is usually pretty spot on, you have NO IDEA how scary I am at reading people in RL.  Body language tells you SO MUCH.  But we don't have that.  I can't watch the way you do or do not keep eye contact with me.  I can't judge by if look uncomfortable when you say something or you fidget nervously.  Without those physical clues, all we have to go on are the words.  So your phrasing is MOST important.  Your ability to convey a meaning is most important.  You have a lot of good insight that just...gets lost in what you say versus what you actually meant.  Unfortunately, we're not mind readers.  This game would go so much faster if we were.  *grin*

So, we pick apart how you speak.  Not because we want you to fail, but because we want you to learn so that in your next game you do not make the same mistakes and then are a player that can hold your own with the experienced players well enough that you're not 'the newbie' any longer.

<End QR Ranting as if she were a teacher or something...need to stop posting less than 5 minutes out of bed...I get preachy>
--------------------------
NOWWWWWW, that aside, issues of the day.

Huh. I parsed this sentence entirely differently, and "The reason I am not producing content is not because I am scum, it is because I have nothing really to produce." doesn't really jump at me as "Hay I'm not scum guys" but as a "I have nothing to produce, being scum or not has nothing to do with that."

I actually agree with Corwin's post above.  That's actually how I read it too.

Smodge made a good point about Alex' inconsistant logic in his reply #86.   In Alex' reply, though, I find his argument on why it was not illogical a valid one.  Trusting someone's gut who is usually spot on in finding scum after they're proven to be town is not a bad idea.  It's a bad idea if that is your ONLY basis for voting, but not if it's just one factor.  Since right now that's my only basis, see the above withdrawn vote.

Now, we have 2 votes on Tom.  I'd say he was my top contender at the moment, but I won't be placing a near hammer vote there just yet.  I'd like LD to weigh in a bit first.

Now, it's 5 minutes after I was supposed to be at work so I could do this post and it takes me about 20 to get there so...leaving now.  I will have time to post my usual 'List of What I Think of Everyone' post after I get in and make some excuse or another to my manager about car problems *grin*)
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
Well good morning then.

I realize Corwin is still sitting with his vote on me (a la http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=363.msg7504#msg7504 ), so I'll start there.

I was unfamiliar with FoS and, now that I know of it, uncomfortable with it. I don't see the point in sticking a particular tag on a phrase (in this case, I indicated that I was worried about not having seen you, and was waiting to hear from you and smodge) just so people can justify the need to defend themselves, but I'll consider it for the future.

My fourth paragraph was a case of poor argument structure. It was intended to acknowledge pieces I thought looked sound in favor of smodge but to wrap up that I still felt smodge deserved the vote I was about to place (really, really mistakenly placing him at -1). Hence the "I don't agree with the jokevote, but smodge got all defensive about it and figured it could spell his doom" sentence.

And... I don't see how that nullifies the previous paragraph, in which I outline why I personally find his actions scummy and vote-worthy.

Eh, and you're saying there are no other people to look at? In the same post you're saying you disagree with Alex's reasons for voting smodge day 1? Yeah, it may be an even flimsier reason to vote a person, but that doesn't preclude you from looking at him. So why aren't you? Because you honestly think smodge is scum, or because you're going for the easy target?

... wait, what? In order to decide I don't like Alex's vote, don't I have to look at who he voted for? That's kind of cause and effect. I can't draw a conclusion without examining the evidence. Maybe I'm missing the antecedent here. What do you mean "Why aren't you?" Why aren't I what?

Andrew cleared up that business about the last line in the flip post, and yet again the only apology I can offer is that I honestly didn't think about it. I tend to be direct when I feel a certain way about something, and I felt smodge = scum and the way to really indicate that is with a vote (or FoS). You know, as you so kindly pointed out I should have placed on you to confirm that there was something about my motioning to you.

What do you mean by "I don't buy her response to Tom"?

*facepalms*

Apparently another newbie error in ##unvoting. I thought about it (the one-liner post was to acknowledge I was in error before I had to run out to a RL obligation so that I might have time to explain it once I got back). Later that evening, I decided that it was my mistake, and that I should reclaim my vote for the time being. Why? Because it wasn't based on very much, just my strong feelings around limited evidence, and I'd feel bad if for some reason we lynched someone who turned out to be a townie because there wasn't much time to discuss things.

I admitted my vote was based on very little, meant to indicate that it was a vote to get started but failed miserably at that when I quickly escalated the thing into a -1 to lynch train. I voted for smodge because he looked the scummiest out of a limited pool of candidates. Said vote brought him to "this is serious business" time waaaaay too early. I will apologize again for that since it seems to be coloring everyone's reaction to me so vividly.

My "hurriedly looking for another target" was nothing of the sort. Did I indicate someone new? Did I outline another argument for why I should vote for someone else? All I did was reiterate that what I cited as a problem in my previous post -- namely, that I hadn't seen anything from you in a number of hours -- hadn't resolved since then. A bit over 3 hours elapsed between my vote and my unvote. Since I hadn't heard from you since noon the day before, and noon the day after would put us at -4 to deadline, I thought it was significant.

I know you're in another timezone a world away, I just don't know which one. "At this point" was meant to indicate that because I hadn't heard from you since noon previous, and because the days are 24 hours long, the time when you might possibly return to speak was close to the deadline.

I didn't vote for you because what I had against smodge was a lot more than what I had against you. Simple as that.

---

That's it for my defense for now. Unfortunately that ate up my morning time (and homework time >_< ) and so I'll have to try and drag some usefulness out of class in order to comment on the new developments, since I'm in it from now until 3:30pm (yes, that's until half an hour before deadline). I'll return as soon as I can.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2008, 06:06:03 PM »
Okay. QR and LD posted!

LD: Looking at him in that context meant going over Alex's posts and interaction, beyond the example you're citing. From your words, you disagreed with his reasoning there, correct? That's as good a reason as any, early on into the game, to take a deeper look at a person beyond the immediate issue, and either clear them of suspicion for yourself (for the time being, at least) or lay out a case for him and watch/examine his defense. And the context of that question was you saying you essentially had nothing to look at besides smodge. There weren't better cases, I'll agree. But no cases whatsoever?

Your response to Tom just felt off, it's something in the tone. It seems to imply that you've made a mistake, and no one may question that it was actually a slip. Nope, nothing like that, just a mistake. And then you're relying on newbie defense/not thinking things through/forgetting/whatever in a game where this is pretty much key. The combination of those two factors didn't sit well with me, and still doesn't.

I didn't say you were looking for a new target in the sense of a target you haven't named before. I meant new in the sense of someone you haven't voted for before. Namely, myself. And that you did this but hadn't actually committed to a vote just makes you look bad in my eyes. Then again, I just might be biased, so that's nowhere near the main reason I voted for you.

Not knowing where exactly I am... sure, I'll bite, though it's easily verifiable. The bigger problem I had here, really, was that you said:

He hasn't posted since noon yesterday and I know he's been posting to VtM, soooo. Yeah.

My emphasis. You seemed to ignore me saying in my post to you, the one you're replying to, that at the time I was posting to VtM, WoW was closed for the night phase. If you think I'm lying, provide concisive proof (posts can be linked to and have time tags, it's very easy!). If not, please account for the reasoning you used by alluding to my lurkerness despite knowing that comparing the two games in this way was apples and oranges. I can't quite get over people accusing me of lurking for reasons quite clearly beyond my control (over a busy day at work, sure; over something easily-checked like this case, no).

I'm tentatively leaving my vote on you until this particular concern is addressed by you, instead of being brushed off. I can't tell whether you decided it unimportant, or avoided it on purpose because you knew it was a slip you couldn't easily explain away.

QR: ... actually, QR's post mainly agrees with me either implicitely or explicitely. I obviously don't intend to argue with myself, so yeah. I can't really find a fault in the logic used, and my mind hadn't changed since. It does disturb me a bit, quite naturally, but... nah, not enough for a vote. But keep on talking! Please comment on the LD case/LD's defense, in particular. I know I can be easily provoked when people attack me for lurking while sleeping (it's happened so many times already, in so many games) that I'm always interested in how other people perceive any arguments I make that are related to this issue somehow. And this isn't a QR-only party; I invite everyone to comment here.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2008, 08:08:29 PM »
Hmm.  Now that I'm in (and said manager says nothing about being a half hour late yay!), I can get down to my thoughts on people.  And laying out a vote.  Because sitting on one when I'm going to be here to see responses enough to remove if necessary (ie: proven wrong), is silly.

Tom - Day 1 was...a whole lotta nothing as per most everyone else.  He did converse a bit, though, and explained his thoughts and rationale for leaving his vote on Strago.  
Day 2:
D:  Nooooo, our doc!

I'm more inclined to believe frame. Sure, it's WIFOM, but it just seems more likely to me. Given that it's Smodge. I reckon scum aimed for the frame, and got lucky with doc.. blah. No vote yet.
Honestly, I think it far more likely scum all screamed 'Kill Her Now Before She Finds Us!' and got 3 bird with one stone (while only aiming at 2 no less).  No Ciato to gutfind them, no doc to help us and a nice WIFOM in front of Smodge.  Scum are getting way too lucky this game.  It bothers the heck out of me.

Not paying attention? Classic scumtell.
Do you know how hard I laughed at reading that?  If there were EVER a time for pot/kettle that was it. :)

And I find it a bit suspicious that after the Touhou debacle (and in an earlier post you actually brough up that you were trying to change your playstyle a bit from things you learned there) that you'd go and do a grammar check on Smodge.  (NOTE: This is not an invitation to start the grammar topic up again.  Just commenting that it was disturbing considering his previous comment)  I know people who see spelling or grammar errors and literally MUST respond.  I don't fault people for things like that.  But a quick PM to someone instead of including it in a post both lets you advise on the correct way to say/spell something as well as does not start GrammarWars the likes of which were seen in Touhou.  So far, you're reading far closer to the scum side of things than townie, but you're nowherenear my biggest contender for this.  Bronze medal at worst.

Smodge: Honestly, you're doing better.  This game I haven't seen anything that was more than just a little twitchifying.  Now, this tells me one of two things.  Either one, you're learning and this is a good thing.  Or two, you're scum and your partner is helping.  This is not a good thing.  So, for your sake, I'm going to assume that you've either gotten someone to mentor you as per your suggestion in the general board or that you're just plain getting better.  Because if it's the latter, then you've just set yourself up for hurt in future games when you go back to your old ways.

Carth - You know, you and the water mammal have the same quality when it comes to these games in my eyes.  You both scare the (censored) out of me whether I'm town or scum.  I end up re-reading everything I type regarding you two about a good dozen times to see where the obvious flaw is in my post because I *know* that as soon as I post you're snagging it, running with it, and I will nearly get myself killed for not noticing.  You're both very rabid players.  Not saying it's exactly bad, but it does make me leery of targeting either of you...which is why I continue to force myself to do it.  Because if I don't and you're scum, then I'll kick myself.  But, you both scare me.  You slightly less which is why I can actually call you by your name.  My first mafia game was very nearly my last due to the water mammal's...tenacious grasp on my early messups as a townie.  But, that aside, I digress...sorry, got lost in a tangent.

Day 1: As usual, Carth leads the fray in trying to start up a train so we actually get to talking in the Day 1 vacuum.  Arguments for why gutclaims alone suck.  Says he'd vote for Strago but hold off to prevent an early hammer to give him time to respond.  Waits until enar time limit and then hammers.  Nothing odd there.  Day 2: Starts by misunderstanding Tom then figuring out what he was talking out.  AND leads the 'if you hammer this sudden 3 votes, you're so dead' argument (which for the reference, I would fully enforce).  Says he's not finding much on the case for Smodge to be scum.  I rather agree with his points on this.  And...*gasp*  Votes me.  For reasons I won't even touch (sleep =/= lurk).  I was asleep which he pretty much said after a little while that he realized was the case.  All in all, he's been very strong on trying to get people to talk.  His comments have been relevant and as usual insightful.  So, also as usual, I'm not finding much of anythin scummy about him and feel he's pretty townish.  This proves nothing to me.  Meme or not, history speaks for itself.  But, I will not vote someone based on GOOD playing just because Hatbot hates them.  As always, I'll be watching Carth closely.

Lady Door - Starts her day 1 with a vote on Strago for lurking.  And rightfully so.  Day 1 was...otherwise pretty contentless.  Nothing big there.  Not overly much to talk about and she kept her vote on a good target.  Now, Day 2: The infmous vote.  Now, I may regret this, but I will chalk that up to just what she said.  Newness at watching vote counts in small games compared to VtM where she was also highly active and 3 votes were small change.  Later removes the Smodge vote, but I've already touched on my thoughts about that.  And her 1 post of content after that is filled with her reasoning behind the smodge vote.  What I'd like from you is your thoughts on others please.

Alex - Up until he moves his vote from Smodge to Tom, everything look typical Alex.  His line of reasoning is pretty straightforward (at least what he says is his reasoning *grin* He's just as good at bullogic as he is the real variety).  And here is where it gets a little odd for me.  He touches Tom's hot spot intentionally.  Not saying it shouldn't be touched (and when I say hot spot, I am referring those things that Tom does that made my rantypost in my previous post appear), just that he moved from the realm of logic to the realm of pushing buttons that always seem to start the confusion cloud in these games.  He does touch it was calm rational purpose and clear statement of intent, though, so I don't really see anything off about the push itself, just that it's a noticeable move to something that will always cause flares of temper from Tom.  I'm getting not much of a read on Alex at all.  Insert minirant here.

Corwin - Hmm.  Looking over day 1 was rather interesting.  He dropped a jokevote on my in his first post and then...did nada.  No move to a serious vote.  No comments on the Strago issue...or any issue for that matter.  The only post of content the first day was saying that maybe a vote count would push people (himself include) into commenting.  And then nothing.  Now Day 2, on the other hand, is another story.  There's a lot to say...and some of it I find more ringing bells than just commenting idly.

Specifically, LD.  You led the charge here on this one right off the bat at the start of Day 2 and you've been steadily corralling the subject back to her each time it veers off onto Tom, Smodge or otherwise.  To start with first posts first:

You're saying Strago and I lurked. Except my 'lurking' took place after I participated (admittedly, in day 1 posting) and then went to bed.
I wouldn't really call your Day 1 posts participating.  I would call them very solidly 'Hi!  I'm not lurking!' in nature.  You did not comment on a single issue.  So, I would second LD's assertion that you lurked Day 1.  I wouldn't say you were lurking today, mind you.  But Day 1, yeah.

Now, the constant corraling back to LD I can see two ways.  Looking at you for town, it's a very good idea to get people to stop waffling and pick a flipping target.  Vote them, debate them, convince others, lynch them and move on.  So, as a townie move, I can see the logic.  But I would see it more if you also debated the other points people who are (in theory) doing the same thing you're doing are bringing up on others.  But you seem very convinced that we need to look at LD, see how your arguments are compelling and lynch her.  We'll deal with the rest later sort of mentality.  This seems more of the scum reasoning for killing off a newbie.  Why?  Because it's easier to do than going after the experienced players who will be far more likely to catch you at it.

##Vote Corwin for more explainations.  (to clarify, not your thoughts on LD, your thoughts on others)

-------------------
OK, started writing this when I got into work at 9:30.  It's now nearly 3 hours later.  I have actually done no work yet so no response from me until very much later this afternoon.  But still before deadline.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »
Goddess bless that was a post and a half.  Apologies for the Wall of Words, 15th lvl caster folks.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »
Smodge13 (1): Alex, QR, LadyDoor
EvilTom (2): Carth, Alex, Carth
Carthrat (0)
Corwin (1): QR
QR (0): Carth
Alex (1): Smodge
Lady Door (1): Corwin

Day will currently be ending in two hours. As it stands, Tom will be lynched at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:40:01 PM by AndrewRogue »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2008, 09:36:50 PM »
*squints*  That last post worries me.
Honestly, I think it far more likely scum all screamed 'Kill Her Now Before She Finds Us!' and got 3 bird with one stone (while only aiming at 2 no less).  No Ciato to gutfind them, no doc to help us and a nice WIFOM in front of Smodge.  Scum are getting way too lucky this game.  It bothers the heck out of me.

This paragraph bothers the heck out of me.  Scum have had only one kill.  Describing it in this fashion sounds like scumgloating.  Minor, just noting it.

Smodge: Honestly, you're doing better.  This game I haven't seen anything that was more than just a little twitchifying.  Now, this tells me one of two things.  Either one, you're learning and this is a good thing.  Or two, you're scum and your partner is helping.  This is not a good thing.  So, for your sake, I'm going to assume that you've either gotten someone to mentor you as per your suggestion in the general board or that you're just plain getting better.  Because if it's the latter, then you've just set yourself up for hurt in future games when you go back to your old ways.

Wh... at point are you trying to make here?  It comes off to me as vaguely threatening Smodge for playing well and dropping the suggestion that he might be scum because this is out of character for him.   Insert obligatory counterargument about how I'm ignoring the last sentence, which covers the above effects with a weak "Well good keep playing well in future games, I guess, OR DIE."  Smodge A. has indeed been learning if you look at the last few games he's been in and B.  still isn't playing all that well in this one, see the reasons for the trains on him here.  I don't see why you'd write this paragraph.

Alex - Up until he moves his vote from Smodge to Tom, everything look typical Alex.  His line of reasoning is pretty straightforward (at least what he says is his reasoning *grin* He's just as good at bullogic as he is the real variety).  And here is where it gets a little odd for me.  He touches Tom's hot spot intentionally.  Not saying it shouldn't be touched (and when I say hot spot, I am referring those things that Tom does that made my rantypost in my previous post appear), just that he moved from the realm of logic to the realm of pushing buttons that always seem to start the confusion cloud in these games.  He does touch it was calm rational purpose and clear statement of intent, though, so I don't really see anything off about the push itself, just that it's a noticeable move to something that will always cause flares of temper from Tom.  I'm getting not much of a read on Alex at all.  Insert minirant here.

So wait.  Voting Tom for calm, rational purposes and clear statements of intent is now a point of suspicion, because it makes Tom flare up?  Uh, no.  No, no, and no.  This is exactly the reason why Tom needs to change his playstyle and the reason why his snarkiness is harmful.  Right here, he's got QR of all people buying into "don't dare attack Tom because he'll bite back and anyone who does is scummy." 

Of course, that in and of itself is worrisome, since it's not something I'd expect QR to bite on at all.  Especially after posting her own minirant on the topic.  Between this and all of the previously mentioned points on QR and Tom individually I'm now thinking it's quite probable that at least one of the two is scum.

Smodge13

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:50 PM »
Ok time to get a few things out of the way.

1. If Tom wants to correct my grammar guys, just let him, i know my grammar sucks and its not going to inflame anything.
2. Tom calm down, corrections is 1 thing, your recent posts are really uncivil.

The general statement "X, not because I am scum, but because..." is language more likely to be used by scum than by town. 
Why? Do you have any proof of that? Or are we supposed to just believe you?

Your still confused by stuff like this?, i'll bring you back to thinking of our uni games when i was scum in that, remember how i would repeatedly use the word US, WE, OUR (i do in my general vocabulary anyway me = us, you = we just a random smodgefact) i would use things like that to form a community sort of feel, i would also often say things like "well i know i'm town so i'll be voting for X".
we were all new in those, and naturally small psychological tactics like that worked magnificently, arguments weren't analyzed in those games it was purely paranoia and looking for who seems to be the odd one out.
DL as i said a while back are on a whole different level, think of it in steps.
Step 1, Scum use psychological attacks
Step 2, Town spots psychological attacks
Step 3, Scum stop using them and go for lurking/arguments
You as a chess player should understand thinking multiple steps ahead is important, essentially this is whats happens in DL mafia only on a much grander scale, instead it is ASSUMED everyone is thinking a the same level and that certian things have become almost law.

Now that that attempt to educate is over (if i have a messed up viewpoint feel free to explain it this is honestly how i think the game mechanics work and if its way off it will help me get back on track).

Thoughts on people:
Once again if this cuts off mid post its because i left for work.

I don't think Smodge is behaving terribly scummy. That is to say, I believe the scumminess of his early vote on day 1 has been severely overstated, and he has not been acting out of character at all. I really, really dislike his play (it's very reliant on others, as has been pointed out), but it's what he does. All the time. He needs to stop. I think being conscious of his own ineptitude could be seen as a good thing? Maybe?

Tsukihime was won due to you, as I recall, going "Well, I've thought this is a good idea. Let's do the opposite!" and it turned out to be right, i.e. not because you figured your role was double-edged or anything.

It's often the way i think when using powers and it does seem to work unneringly well.
However imagine if i tried using it as a reason to vote for someone, in serious mode if i did that i wouldn't live 5 minutes without being lynched.

Running low on time with 5 minutes to spare.
Tom to me is just being Tom, although its the Tom as he was a few games ago.
Then again as Alex points out i'm not playing as good as i have been improving (thanks nice to know i'm changing) so it's possibly just an off-game.

QR - Alex brings up some very good points about her, however she seems to be acting in her usual vote to put pressure on someone then remove it, i'm getting a slightly less town read off her.

Alex - I will always disagree with your gamestyle i think, Touhou you seemed less rational to me however your logic does make sense (annoyingly so seeing as i still have the gut feeling your scum, but i shouldn't let it drive me).
##Unvote:Alex

Corwin - thoughts on people would be usefu, it seems your doing a similar thing as to what Tom was, commenting on things but not actively getitng involved much (admittedly your doing it more than LD and tom but still not as much as i'd expect)

Rat - seems his usual rat self, i can never read him so i'll leave it at that.

Lady Door - her "slip-ups" seem newbish to me and don't seem to hide an ulterior motive.

Now who to vote with the final hours approaching.
Alex/QR look the worst to me - what disturbs me is Alex brought up some good points about her, and QR about him, Alex's brings up the best point, just because Tom blows up when you vote for him, doesn't mean you shouldn't vote for him.
##Vote: QR

then you've just set yourself up for hurt in future games when you go back to your old ways.
Huh what?, so i should continue to play badly and not try to improve?

*squints*  That last post worries me.
Honestly, I think it far more likely scum all screamed 'Kill Her Now Before She Finds Us!' and got 3 bird with one stone (while only aiming at 2 no less).  No Ciato to gutfind them, no doc to help us and a nice WIFOM in front of Smodge.  Scum are getting way too lucky this game.  It bothers the heck out of me.

This paragraph bothers the heck out of me.  Scum have had only one kill.  Describing it in this fashion sounds like scumgloating.  Minor, just noting it.

I recall her doing this once before earlier in the game.

Honestly its not much, Tom looks bad, QR looks minorly bad to, however i think Tom is just being Tom so thats where my vote goes.
It's weak and not much i know, but i'm not going to find more before the hammer, i could choose to not vote, however i regardless believe Tom will be the one lynched as thats how it seems to go in prev games
QR was being unnervingly quiet day 1, combined with her strange previous post makes me want to vote for her over Tom.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
Smodge13 (1): Alex, QR, LadyDoor
EvilTom (2): Carth, Alex, Carth
Carthrat (0)
Corwin (1): QR
QR (0): Carth
Alex (1): Smodge
Lady Door (1): Corwin

Day will currently be ending in two hours. As it stands, Tom will be lynched at the end of the day.

Just a note that I unvoted Smodge Andy, so my vote on his should be in italics.

-------------------------------------------

This paragraph bothers the heck out of me.  Scum have had only one kill.  Describing it in this fashion sounds like scumgloating.  Minor, just noting it.
1 - I'd never seen that page on the wiki.  Interesting.  Thanks for the link.  I don't know that I agree with all of them, but there are a lot that I do agree wholeheartedly with.

2 - Now, the actual thing you acused me of: Saying scum killed Ciato because they feared her.  o.0  Alex, you DO realize that's been said before, right?  In fact, iirc, you were one of the ones that did.  How does thinking that scum said 'kill her before she finds out who we are...and hey, nice frame in the process' translate into 'Oh NOES!  They Killed our Doctor!!' as per the scumgloating note on the bottom of that page?

Wh... at point are you trying to make here?  It comes off to me as vaguely threatening Smodge for playing well and dropping the suggestion that he might be scum because this is out of character for him.   Insert obligatory counterargument about how I'm ignoring the last sentence, which covers the above effects with a weak "Well good keep playing well in future games, I guess, OR DIE."  Smodge A. has indeed been learning if you look at the last few games he's been in and B.  still isn't playing all that well in this one, see the reasons for the trains on him here.  I don't see why you'd write this paragraph.
Threatening players for good behavior?  Reading comprehension is all of our friends.  I said I am assuming that he's getting better because if not, IN FUTURE GAMES when said scumbuddy were not around helping then he would be reverting to his usual self.  This means to ME, that I would not be trustful of his games after that where he was again better, assuming that again he was scum and had his scumbuddy helping.  What he's done seems to be to be MOST likely getting better and as such, I SAID that at the start of my comment to him.

Now, as to why I would say he's getting better despite the train on him earlier?  Because the ONLY thing I had to go on and my ONLY reason for finding him fishy was Ciato's gutcheck and NO information Day 1 to give me  a better target until Strago's lurking took precedence.  I kept my vote on him this morning to induce conversation, not to say I thought he was acting scummy.  Please note my previous comment of:
Since right now that's my only basis, see the above withdrawn vote.
I think he seems much less scummy to me Day 2 than Day 1 considering that scumminess on Day 1 was so minimal I went mostly off Ciato's usual good senses lacking ANYTHING better to go on at that point.  As to 'why I'd write this paragraph', because I was writing a paragraph on EVERYone and my only thoughts on Smodge were that I wasn't ready scumminess off him, and for him, that's good and an improvement that I dearly hoped was a lasting one.

So wait.  Voting Tom for calm, rational purposes and clear statements of intent is now a point of suspicion, because it makes Tom flare up?  Uh, no.  No, no, and no.  This is exactly the reason why Tom needs to change his playstyle and the reason why his snarkiness is harmful.  Right here, he's got QR of all people buying into "don't dare attack Tom because he'll bite back and anyone who does is scummy."  

Of course, that in and of itself is worrisome, since it's not something I'd expect QR to bite on at all.  Especially after posting her own minirant on the topic.  Between this and all of the previously mentioned points on QR and Tom individually I'm now thinking it's quite probable that at least one of the two is scum.
Again, reading comprehension.  I said:
Not saying it shouldn't be touched (and when I say hot spot, I am referring those things that Tom does that made my rantypost in my previous post appear), just that he moved from the realm of logic to the realm of pushing buttons that always seem to start the confusion cloud in these games.  He does touch it was calm rational purpose and clear statement of intent, though, so I don't really see anything off about the push itself, just that it's a noticeable move to something that will always cause flares of temper from Tom.
I have said repeatedly that it's Tom who needs to change his playstyle, not us.  And I said that touching the button wasn't an OMGURSCUM.  It was just a change in where you were going, from logic and then into pushing buttons.  It gave me a null read.  I most certainly do NOT buy into the don't pester Tom gambit.  You have REALLY got to STOP putting word into people's mouths Alex.  It is SO frustrating.  Take apart what I SAY, but don't INVENT things.

My read on you was neutral because you suddenly did something different and I didn't know what to make of it, not that I thought you were starting something.

EDIT: reading Smodge's post that ninja'd me, but posting this first

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »
Smodge: Since your concerns about me were tied to the things I just posted about, I'd like a response from you to see if I answered your questions or if you still had some.  I'll be happy to answer, but if I answered them in my last post, no sense in copying them now.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
"Scum are getting way too lucky this game.  It bothers the heck out of me." is what I took issue with there, QR.  Why scum killed Ciato has nothing to do with it.

I've already addressed why paraphrasing and interpretation (which you call putting words in people's mouths) is good.  I *am* taking apart what you say, and saying "This is what I get out of it."  D'ya want a more detailed breakdown?

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »
Are you saying that scum did not get lucky to kill the doctor?  Why is that not lucky for them?  I think it's a statement of fact that one night one they managed to get our doc. can only be lucky.  Can you think of something else it could be?

There is a difference between paraphrasing and saying that someone said something they DID NOT say.  This is not a hard distinction to make.  I can paraphrase your post above by saying:

You weren't talking about why Ciato was killed, but rather that my comment about scum being lucky to do so was purely a scumtell.

What I can not say is: Alex says scum weren't lucky to kill Ciato.  Why?  Does he think they knew?

One is paraphrasing, the other is twisting words that someone says to mean something they didn't.  You certainly DIDN'T say what I said in that last paragrapoh (before someone jumps down my throat, that bwas purely an example).  When you wordtwist, it looks scummy.  Paraphrasing is a good thing and I endorse it.  I, personally, SUCK at it which is why I use quotes way more often than I should.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »
I hope whatever you've got to say is good, LD, we're kind of in a jam and need to decide on killing someone quickly. I'm pretty gung-ho about lynching Tom at this stage, though, so let's all vote for him (to reiterate, he's made dumb mistakes that are classically attributed to scum, he's been an angry, angry man in his posts, and most of his content only really spilled out when people started pressuring him; somewhat fair, but I hated his attitude of 'I have nothing to say, and this is fine.')

<->

Huh QR hmm.

1) QR, flattery will get you nowhere~

2) It would actually have been great if you DID put a near hammer vote on Tom if you think he is scummy. Let's pay more attention to deadlines and not be stuck with a MAD RUSH in the last half-hour again.

3) QR-Sensei is reiterating a lot of stuff that's already been said about Smodge and Dread Thomas' playstyle. Eh.

4) The dreaded LIST OF NAMES is actually a convention I hate (it doesn't really spur discussion in a meaningful direction). Everyone seems to do it, though. I dunno, I don't actually think it's always good for town to drop all their feelings on everyone like that at once. It feels like it encourages groupthink and allows scum to easily riff off of your conclusions. I can't call it a scumtell 'cos frigging everyone does it, and sometimes it does have merit, but mainly towards the endgame. At the moment, I'm not calling it a good idea. Also it's a great thing to do if you're scum and don't know what to say... as long as you remember who's alive when you go back through the thread.

5) Inclined to agree that the 'lucky' comment is a bit weird, I mean there's only been one kill. Even if it's a doc, going 'way too lucky' actually seems to be blowing it over the top (when you think about it, doc actually isn't that great in C9, I'd rather have a cop.) If QR is indeed scum, then I believe this statement would have come out of town being on the wrong track, i.e. neither her nor her scumbuddy.

6)

THIS
Quote from: QR
I'd say he was my top contender at the moment, but I won't be placing a near hammer vote there just yet.

Was followed by THIS

Quote from: QR
So far, you're reading far closer to the scum side of things than townie, but you're nowherenear my biggest contender for this.  Bronze medal at worst.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND. These were very close together (only a couple of hours apart!) Biggest problem with you I've seen so far. In fact I almost want to switch right now.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
(oh, and QR was talking about EvilTom both times just then.)

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »
Right. So I'm awake, and there's not a lot of time left on the clock.

First of all, CRat, I don't understand your question. You'll have to explain it better/rephrase it if you want me to answer it. I have no idea what you mean.

On Alex: I'm very concerned with his attitude of "you sound like scum to me, so I'm going to make it sound like you're scum to everyone else". This is not helpful town play. It's easy to use a quote, so why is he making things so much worse? And then flaring up into argument and blaming others? He did it first to me, and now to QR?

I'd like to vote for Alex at this point, but I may end up lynched if I do as there's not much time left. So ##Vote: QR

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
Ok. It has been pointed out that you appeared to point out to everyone that you are not town. I believe this is a valid interpretation of what you've said (it was implied if nothing else.)

In a post of your own, you pointed out that I said something somewhat similar ('you're not scum') at one point. I want to know why you pointed this out and what you think this says about me.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14:16 PM »
That you are *not scum*, yes.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »
I agree getting ducks in a row before we're dead up against a lynch is a good idea.  Tom hasn't been a shining example of towniness.  I still don't think he's the worst offender to me, but of the choices I have for a possible lynch, he's the best.

##Unvote Corwin
##Vote EvilTom.

As for puttinjg it on Corwin rather than Tom, I put my vote where it looked scummiest.  But yes deadline approaches and we need to stop dithering.

For issue 4, I agree it's a playstyle difference.  I find it very sueful when I'm laying out my own thoughts and I generally find it wass interesting to see what people say about everyone as what things they seem to skip.  So, helpful for me so I use it, yeah.  Not a tool for all.

For issue 5, if saying 'way too lucky' versus 'lucky' was my poor wording, I'll accept that.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2008, 11:19:25 PM »
About ten minutes to go. LD, I hope you have a vote for someone ready.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »
Huh? Oh, no that was something completely different. You say it was implied, I say it wasn't the point of the comment. If your intent is to read the statement in a way other than was intended even after multiple explanations, I don't think I'm going to be able to change your mind here on this subject.

As for the "you're not scum" quote, that was me being tired and annoyed, and pointing out that if you only partially quote somebody, you can take their quote out of context and give it a new meaning.
You refused to accept this up tot that point, basically telling me to grow up. I got more annoyed, and used that intentional misquote as an obvious example to further my case.

In other worse, taking quotes out of context is very harmful to the person quoted. And we shouldn't ignore it when people try to do it. Alex has been doing it a lot, you've only done it in a very small way. i really don't see how it helps town to make people look worse than they are. He's jumping from one target to the next, causing strife. Normally swtiching targets is fine, but not when all you're trying to do is 'push buttons' and wait for explosions.

Oh geez, ninja'd like 4 times. Post then read..

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2008, 11:24:20 PM »
What you say is good and true.  The heart of the matter, though, lies in what can and cannot be drawn out of something someone says, and that's a judgment call that folks need to make.  We're in the business of scumhunting here, and most of the time scum aren't going to be dumb enough to say things that directly implicate themselves.  Scum lie, cover their tracks, push scummy agendas in subtle ways, and occasionally slip and say things townies wouldn't.  Searching for these things is good and necessary, while sticking to literal paraphrases and what the author of a post says its intended meaning is is not so helpful. 

To take up your example, you COULD in fact say "Alex says scum weren't lucky to kill Ciato, does he think they knew she was doc?," and you SHOULD say so if you saw something, a turn of phrase or whatever, in my posts that made you think that.  Once you bring it to everyone's attention, people can make their own decisions about whether you're seeing something valid or just off your rocker. 

The author of the statements in question is the one whose word carries the least weight in such debates, for obvious reasons.  It's no good for you to say "Reading comprehension!  My words say what I say they mean, not what you say they mean!"  when the issue is you possibly being scum and pushing the scumgenda.

I've been assuming that everyone can see where I'm deriving these meanings from once I point them out, and make their own informed judgments on them.  This may be a bad habit of mine, I should make it more clear that I'm not saying these are the only possible interpretations.  Just the ones that I see.  If anyone wants more detailed breakdowns, just ask.