imageRegister

Author Topic: DLC 4 aftermath: GOSH DARN NEW JERSEY ROADS  (Read 19176 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: DLC 4 aftermath: GOSH DARN NEW JERSEY ROADS
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
Alright, now that I'm at least somewhat recovered from the trip home, I suppose I can break down the events/folks.

Thursday: Landing in Newark I was pretty much in a state of "Red Gatewalker needs food badly". So of course I ended up in the group that took forever to get back to Meep's house where the food was. Ah well. Pizza was eventually had and I stayed up a bit longer then I should have chatting with Ciato/Met/Tai. Managed to find a somewhat comfortable patch of floor to sleep on.

Friday: Since competing in it would be a waste of time, I volunteered to keep score for the music tournament. Ended up snatching a pair of DQ4 figures as well from the leftover prizes(Sofia and Meena). I guess I can post the scores from that a bit later if folks want, once I find where I put the paper. Mall trip was...well, it was a standard DL outing, I suppose. Everyone kinda wanders off to do thier own things after a bit, making things rather difficult on those of us who are trying to keep tabs on where everyone is. Saw some stiff I might have liked to grab in the game stores, but didn't want to risk spending more then I should, so declined to pick them up. Split a Factory Mud Pie with the Kappa at the Cheesecake Factory. It was all kinds of good. And I'm very glad I offered to split that because even I could not eat that entire thing on my own. Kinda forgot what we did Friday night, though once again I stayed up far longer then I should have chatting with Ciato/Met/Tai. Managed to misplace that comfy spot of floor somehow, since sleeping that night was rather difficult. Ah well, who needs sleep anyway~

The FG Tournament: This was a triumph. I'm making a note here: huge success. Battle Fantasia went over as well as I'd predicted it would(it just felt like such a DL bait game to me). Also very glad I took over running this from Xer before it even started. The poor guy looked drained as all hell after just running BlazBlue, I can't imagine how he'd have dealt with everything all together. But organizing is a bit of a specialty of mine, so I did the best I could and it worked out pretty well. Only hitch was the SC4 finals not getting announced, though I'm fairly certain I asked if someone would, but maybe nobody heard me or maybe I'm just misremembering things. Still, I'll take half the blame for that, and the other half goes to everyone who continued to hang out downstairs after the BB tourny was over instead of coming back upstairs where SC4 was still going on. Folks also seemed a bit less enthusiastic about SF4 then I'd hoped, but eh, I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The rest of Saturday: Bang! was fun. Pretty sure this was the day I played some Betrayal, which is also always fun. Since my head was still spinning from the Tournament I passed on bowling, just hung out with Tai and chatted about FFTA2 some more and munched on awesome fries. Caught up with Zenny about owing him $40 from last year, which I feel much better about now that I've paid him. Had good chineese food, got to chill with Gref and Shale some during that which was great. Managed to find that comfy spot of floor again, even though I woke up way earlier then my body wanted to to see Tai off Sunday morning.

Sunday: Covered this in my last post.

So, now for peoples. Only listing folks I actually have something to say about, so if your name doesn't show up here it's because I already met you before and there wasn't much different from the last time.

Meeple: This will prolly sound arrogant considering I'm not even a full year older then him, but he's actually grown up a fair bit in the past couple years. Kept everything together while still being Meeple to the core, so I'm fairly impressed. Also got around to showing me Calintz's(Magna Carta main) frue broken. 19000+ damage about made me fall down laughing. That was just great.

Xer: Was much calmer and overall quieter this time, which was good. Still insanely full of hype, but that's not nessesarily a bad thing.

Met: Thanks to Sunday, spent more time with her then anyone else at the con. Which is perfectly fine, since she's great to hang out with. Very very glad we were travelling together, I would have gone nuts if I had to deal with all of Sunday's fail on my own, and as I've been invited to her official name changing party later this week it would appear I didn't manage to make her fully sick of my constant stream of blather and horrible sense of humor.

Ciato/Elf: Are entirely too cute together. Also made me miss Jenna alot. ;_;

Taitoro: Somewhat amusing how we're about the same talkativeness level online, but in real life he's signifigantly less so and I'm signifigantly moreso. And yet we get along just fine. The toro is best summed up as being pretty much my best freind(with Jenna not counting), and I intend to make dragging him out here a yearly thing if he's up for it~

Pyro: Has a wondeful "grr I'm angry" face that he pulls out at the most comedically approrpiate moments. Also very polite, which is something I unfortunately see less and less of as time goes by. Didn't spend overly much time chatting with him except for while we were waiting at the mall, unfortunately.

Kappa: More reserved then I expected, though he did deliver some quite good deadpan lines from time to time. Needs to spin his way down to more DLCs in the future~

Tonfa: Also more reserved then I expected, though he managed to deliver some very HAM lines in such a quiet and understated tone of voice. Of course I approve of this style of humor 200%. As for the understanding problem...man, the issue I had there is entirely on my end. I have issues understanding accents to the point where I occasionally miss some of what folks with a southern accent say and I grew up in North Carolina. <_<;

NotMiki: One of the folks I managed to not really interact with at all during the con. He seems to be a fairly cool guy, but we just kinda ended up being not in the same activities most of the time. But there's always future cons, right?

Djinn: Yeah, complete kid at heart sums him up very well. I was actually expecting him to be as freindly and energetic as he was, so that didn't suprise me at all. What did surprise me is that he gives Lady Door stiff competition for the hottest DLcon attendee. <_< Also gets a massive thanks for bringing back all that random swag from Japan. Having lots of prizes to hand out always makes competitions more fun.

Tallychu: Quite possibly Sir Alex in disguise? Talks a bit more then Alex at least, but the physical similarity is uncanny. Alot easier to get along with in person then online, though he always seemed really nervous about something. I'm just going to assume that's his default expression and not that he was afraid of us or anything though~

Jeff: Needs to chill. Alot. Only really got on my nerves when I was running the tournament and he kept doing things like insisting that he could play meep's turns or that we should change the rules halfway through or trying to block off the path to the playing area with a chair so the puppet could watch. -_- Obviously not a bad kid, just really really over excitable.

Mandy: Is adorable. And very much a mini-meeple in awesome little girl form.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:48:06 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »
I will post more later, but my favorite part of everything was post-con.

"THE CHARACTERS MUST BE UNBALANCED, YOU'RE CHEATING!!"

*rematch*

"STOP SPAMMING, THAT'S CHEAAAATING!"

Haha. MM owned JM at Soul Caliber basically, and he was pissed beyond belief, so he demands a rematch and she kicks his ass with one move and he whines loudly about this. Dude, just face it, you got beat by your 8 year old sister.

That is freaking awesome.  <3 Mandy.

(Side note of interest: my first Pikachu ever was named Mandy--caught and named before Mandy Meeple was even born; named after a famous Ringette player).

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »
Okay, time for the big post.

Wednesday:

Got on the bus way the hell too early. Had a good trip from Asheville to Winston Salem. Greyhound, not failing yet? As you may have gathered from my later rant, it made up for it later. It even made up for it on this trip. But, early on? It was fine. IIRC I got my own seat the entire way there. So that was pretty nice.

Winston Salem's kinda a weird town. It reminds me of Asheville...about four times as big and without the hippie vibes at all. Which...isn't...that much like Asheville on net. You'd have to see both towns to understand the resemblance. I didn't really like the place for some reason, but what the hell.

Anyways, Winston Salem's bus station fails. To be specific, it fails at being a Greyhound station.

To explain: Greyhound evidently has a deal with some bus stations, as I learned later, to use some of their space.

In...Winston Salem's case this is about, oh, three gates for a fairly busy near-hub terminal.

And a dozen gates for in-city bussing. Uh.

So, I chug into this god damned mess with like five minutes until I get on my next bus! I rush inside, mill around for about a minute, slap my forehead at being so stupid as to think that Greyhound would tell me anything at all in here, go back outside and pester some driver. Make it in time without even much risk of getting left. At this point I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to counter Greyhound's fail. Again, see earlier rant for how well that fucking worked out. Greyhound's fail escalates.

Anyhow, the only other notable things on the trip there were:

-Getting crowded out of your seat by a moderately good looking girl is superior to getting crowded out of your seat by a random gangly mexican, but...not all that much. And your leg falls just as much asleep.

-Danville...VA, I believe? Is the most puzzling city I went through on the entire trip. I have to guess that it's what used to be a thriving industrial city or something that got left when all of our manufacturing jobs parted ways. Half the city is reasonably kept up and the other half is dilapidated to the point of almost impressiveness.

The thing is, these two parts weren't...separated by space at all. Seeing a half-crumbling covered in graffiti building paired up with one of the city's governmental buildings was weird, and seeing a couple of buildings with a completely exposed, obviously not being worked on or anything, area between the first and second floors, just, you know, open air, in the middle of downtown? Weirdness. I think I've seen cities in worse condition, but never with the bad parts just mushed into the good ones like that. It's like it just got mostly abandoned as a town.

-Richmond's a cool enough town. Kinda feels a little touristy somehow, although I can't put my finger on how. Otherwise pretty nice.

Anyways, I make it to Xer's place. Xer's mom is pretty cool albiet worries too much, Xer's dad is nice though kinda grumpyish. Basically normal enough parents.

Stayed up way the hell too late playing SF4 some(Completely wrong impression of Chun-Li in 4 gotten riiiiiight here from playing a few games with her; I figured she was pretty similar to before. She's not.), Blazblue(Meanwhile, I was right, Rachel is my main and I picked up on that from damn near the first try. The surprise is later finding out that Tager is probably my secondary.), Gundam Musou 2(Gundam Wing was fun~), watched some Sengoku Basara, probably a few things I'm forgetting. Got two hours of sleep as a result. That's okay, I wasn't getting actual sleep lately anyways, and I never sleep that well on the bedroll, so hey.

Thursday:

Got up around five, after a couple hours of sleep. At that, I think I got more sleep than Xer. Anyways, the trip up until Washington DC was so unmemorable that I don't actually recall anything about it. Well, I recall napping. Does that count?

Then we hit Washington DC.

Okay, now, Xer and his dad were using Googlemaps to figure out where the hell to go. Googlemaps is bad at a few things, as you might know if you've ever used it. One is figuring out what the blue hell it means by subtle details(slight right/left turn? What?).

Another is that it doesn't tell you when roads change into other roads while being named the same thing. I suspect at this point that was the problem we had, that we just needed to go straight at a certain point. But I wasn't sure. Also I wasn't really sure you could go straight. Maybe the map was just fucking wrong.

Well, for whatever the reason, we ended up going in a circle to the exact same spot four times before finding someone that could tell us where to go(Which, naturally, was very easy to find and Googlemaps fails miserably. As you'll learn, it fails more than this.).

On the upside, I got a moderately close view of the Lincoln Memorial, Capitol Building, Supreme Court and the Senate. So, for my part, the only unpleasant thing about getting lost for two hours was that Xer and his dad were unhappy... <_<;

On the record, DC, horrible roads of nightmare aside, was actually a pretty neat city, despite being the biggest one I've ever been in. Oddly poor, which made going by such gorgeous buildings at points weirder. Then again, maybe a confusing as hell city with a weird intermeshing of over and underabundance of resources does fit America spiritually.

Incidentally we also got some epic traffic slowdown, but I still say the stuff coming back was more epic.

Delaware tolls are fucking insane and the roads aren't that good. What the hell. No, really. What. The. Hell. I appreciate that toll money goes to more than just the road and all, sure, but it should be a better fucking road than most local NC highways if you're charging 11 in tolls one way and 7 the other. Say what you will about Jersey Turnpike, at least it didn't manage that.

Jersey it's self is much nicer than I expected as a state. I mean, it's not NC wilderness or anything, and it's more built up than Richmond was even, but it's pretty nice, the parts I went through. Jersey Turnpike fails but not as much as Delaware's crap, at least it only cost 5 both ways and was an actually good condition road. Still fails, especially since it sounds like Jersey fucking drains huge amounts of money in every direction. (NC level sales tax and *those* property taxes *and* tolls on a major highway? Where does all that money go? Mom's comment was "Mob." I think.)

Naturally we got lost again like three miles from Meeple's house. People ain't kidding about Jersey road signs. They really are not. It was also partially Googlemaps fault(See that thing about slight turns...).

Finally make it to Meeple's house. Meeple's house/neighborhood is about as I envisioned it, somehow. Too bad I didn't get to talk to his parents at all, though it felt like they were just this side of tolerating the massive bunch of loud young adults and stayed away from us as much as possible.

Naturally I walked downstairs into complete trainwreck as people were playing Castlevania Judgment and mocking the hell of it. Yeah, this is a RPGDL meeting alright.

Managed to play a bunch of that, I think I was the one that figured out that Maria can floodspam everything into ridiculous joke levels. >_>

Also got to play Apples. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY REGRET FROM DLC2 OVER. It is fun fun. Arkham wasn't there yet.

Played Smash. Which is normal for the DL. Did...remarkably well to the point where I thiiiiiiiink people started gang smashing me because half the time I'd win even with my poorer characters if they didn't. >_> I think it's because I'm a jerk in team matches and won't die. Time's my worse format, too.

Probably forgetting some stuff here, the middle of most of the days was a happy blur to a degree.

Anyways, made it back to Sopko's. Instantly crashed as I was exhausted. Actually slept reasonable amounts! Like six hours. Wait, that's not that reasonable.

Friday:

I remember less about this day than the others, I think.

Met Soppy's mom, Janice(I hope I recall her name right. I didn't think to properly introduce myself until the last day. Which was embaressing, though better than not doing it at all.). Cool lady, very nice about people staying there. Drinks substantially more coffee than I. Has a dog that reminds me of a border collie stuffed into half the space for personality, with the added relative energy that that implies. I had exactly one bag that he could have gotten into and he did. Not for very long, since it was just filled with dirty clothes and was just a plastic trash bag for sorting simplicity. That came later though.

Soppy's house is actually in a really nice spot. Has a view of a lake and generally was less built up than Wayne. Nice place in general. Inside of the house is actually as cluttered as mine though. I feel better.

Activities...IIRC I played a lot of Smash most of the day. Which, for most people, must have been old hat. For me it was playing a fighting game I hadn't played in two years with a bunch of friends. This is awesome.

Music quiz...I did like twice as well as DLC2 because I got into the mental zone I need to actually remember songs and as such did things like somehow beating people to a frigging FF7 song(I am not the biggest FF7 fan for OST). Five is pretty damn good for me and made me very happy.

I never could get in on a game of Arkham. Never. The entire con. This felt like a running gag. I even ended up napping on the couch on the last full day because everyone else at Soppy's was in the game but me. ._. Oh well, I'll get in on an online game or something.

Mall was mall. I enjoyed it in the sense that it's been ages since I've wandered around a mall and even more ages since one so big-I like big malls. But I didn't find any games for myself, too cheap and too many piracy tools to. (In retrospect, I actually should have picked up Orange Box, but I still think I can get that cheaper online. I do actually have the money left over for it even at 30$, which stuns me as I came in with just under 100$.) Sadly food court showed the largest inflation from NC to NJ, as picking up Taco Bell cost like 33% more.

Got the biggest drink ever, after someone else(Dhyer?) mentioned that one of the places, Hardee's I think, had a stupidly large medium. I ended up going around the entire food court looking for root beer, getting it there, and getting a large that is probably bigger than most extra largest. I love large drinks and drunk it in nearly the same time as I ate my food~

Cheesecake Factory rocked. I almost was too stingy to get a desert. I would have been terribly regretful of this, as the cheesecake I had is the best desert I'd had in memory. Mmmm Kaluha coffee cocoa, I think it was. I don't think I've ever had a sugar rush wake me up before. I don't think I've had coffee do it as tired as I was there, for that matter. It was impressive. Naturally I was a hummingbird for a while~

Also I think I was like one of two or three people to get through their desert. >_>

I think that's all the pertinent stuff for Friday.

Saturday:

Fighting game tournament! Had been looking forward to this a completely ridiculous amount, because I was hoping to get my ass kicked by people, as while I'm naturally good at games in general, I had no experience in any of these. Was surprised by how I did on so many levels.

First, Fantasia. This didn't surprise me too much, my best advantage is how well I do in games I just pick up blind and play. I saw Olivia being played, went "Oh, Sakura-like shoto, minus fireball and plus dash thing. With pokes. This looks awesome." and picked her up. The fact that she's a pretty pretty princess obviously had absolutely nothing to do with it. Nope.

Anyways, was stunned by how much fun the game was and was to watch though. Very remarkably decent balance on the surface at least, balanced around a lot of 50-50ish intros on people via having low long range damage and high close range combo damage in general. Basically you can play safe or you can play risky. It's actually a neat design, at least superficially. God knows how it is on high end.

Didn't really have much trouble until Shale, IIRC? I could be recalling wrong, I seem to recall an...Urs? giving me some trouble in the semis right beforehand. The fight with Shale was fucking awesome, Shale really had learned Deathbringer well and Olivia, who relies on moderately ranged pokes, has a hell of a time getting in on him. Does a lot of damage if she can, Heat Up does like 400 damage on simple pokes or something crazy because Deathbringer is the size of a semi and takes more damage from stuff(His HP is misleading. He takes hits gamebest, but it's clearly not 60% over average gamebest.). Shale was just killer with his zoning stuff though. So much fun as a fight.

Then came Hatbot's rape rape rape. I got called to do BB against Andrew as my *opt-in* match, then SF4 against Meeple first round.

Both of these people went on to win their respective tournaments in that game. I still like to think I could have put up a better fight in BB, I was doing remarkably okay the night before when Andrew, Soppy and I were mucking with it, but for some damn reason I never got a qcb to come out.

In and of it's self, losing that move is bad enough, George the Thirteenth is incredibly good Rachel zoning, but the fluster that came with it was far worse. I didn't do hideously, but that was mostly because I started pulling out some ridiculously confusing stuff in an effort to make up and I just didn't manage to do well.

This alone would have been bad enough to make me lose to Meeple, but I suffered my second shock; Ryu's hit areas are pretty different from SF2 and Chun lacks a lot of the air priority I'm used to. I should have just went with a shoto, logically, but I don't really like shotos that much. Oh well. Depressing Hatbot rape.

However, I can't complain, as I didn't really play either game and I did very well on the other two.

SC4 I basically pulled out my old non-specific modified button mash skills with Siggy and got to the finals with them. Somehow. Against people that actually played even, I think? Then CK won. I don't get SC4's tourney. It was weird. But awesome. In later mucking, I think I probably should have risked using Amy, as she is really excellent and I was doing really well with the faster than hell pokes and overheads and the like. Ah well, I can't complain.

Also very, very stunned that I did as well as I did in Brawl. I lost to Zenny but I made it a better match than I did with Elfboy in Melee despite Zenny being comparably good in Brawl as Elfboy was in Smash, I think, and only a stupid SD made the Tal match not pretty awesomely close as well(though I think I'd have lost that too). Zenny went on to win, so basically I always lost to the champs, which also makes me very happy. Just flabbergasted, though, I expected to be one of the worse Smash players, as we have so many people that play it a ton, and I uh don't. Second overall in the tournaments and a first and a second place in two of them=Very very happy all in all. Just, screw you Hatbot.

Bowling was also really awesome. I did 30 points better than last year in a hilarious fashion where I did things like bowled 1-/-1/strike/7Spare or something like that. It was so much better than last time for awesomeness. Also sorta getting the idea of how to bowl down. I also got to see Sopko make insane comeback of doom. Then choke on it, which kept him from beating Tal. Poor Soppy.

Wandering around the strip mall was oddly fun. Also I didn't expect a cheese steak place to make such a good veggie sub. Seriously, I think that was the best dinner I had the entire trip.

Sunday:

Mostly uneventful. Soppy slept until like 11, and I had to head back at 1 or so, so I didn't get much time to hang out. Did get a bunch of time to hang out with Grefter(Got that a lot, actually, Grefter is really cool and has awesome music taste. I need to listen to all these CDs he's burned me. Too bad the FO copies don't work and the BG stuff didn't work out, but I have a hell of a lot harder time finding music than games. I already have the BG2/ToB copies and am torrenting FO1 today.), though, so it's not a complaint or anything.

Trip back was pretty good. Xer's dad had evidently found a way to go around DC. This is the final and most impressive way that Googlemaps fails, it thought that going through downtown fucking Washington DC was faster than going around it. What the fuck? I mean. Really. What?

Anyways, outside of rain for a bit of intensity that I rarely see up here(And here is, you know, like over 70 inches of rain), which was weirding, and some hilarious traffic(Well, hilarious to me, not to anyone else...) that was there for.....evidently no reason, just...slow....yeah. Not a bad trip back at all.

Ate dinner at Xer's parents place. Good dinner and got to meet his sister, who is basically the cliche way I always wanted a little sister to be(Ultra energetic and vaguely nerdish.). Naturally she annoys the hell out of everyone else. <_<

Went back to Xer's place, played ESP Galuda(Which was fun, even if I didn't exactly have any hax after that much tiring trip/fun stuff/etc.) and chatted and got four hours sleep.

Earlier post sums up Monday well enough, despite being less coherent than if I wrote it now. Just yeah, take my advice, if you get stuck doing some kind of weird-ass transfer chain that wasn't planned, find other people in the same situation that look talk-to-able and stick to them. And burn my brother.

People notes:

Meeple: Seems more calm and happy, but he's at home so that doesn't necessarily count. (Also most people were in general less stressed seeming.) Otherwise it's Meeple. I mean, come on. He doesn't change. Well, no, actually, thinking on it, he was easier to understand this time than DLC2.

super: Pretty sure he's lost a decent amount of weight, which is cool. Also seemed less snarky, which makes sense considering online lately but is a shock in person. Just less though. I mean, he was making sarcastic comments more than most two people instead of most three~

Cmdr: Again much less stressed. Can't see how he could fail to me, since he had to go less distance(And he couldn't fail to go less distance either.) than at 2. ACTUALLY TALKED SOME. YAY!

Metroid: Is a foot and a half away from being a little girl. Much closer than last time, I'm sure this will be later improved on.

Gate: Somehow didn't get to see as much of him as at 2, and he seemed a little less active(Thinking on it though he had a farther trip this time himself.). Is awesome for how he squashed Meeple's brother's sillyassery during the tourney.

Xer: Is pretty damn cool when he's not worrying about offending people by misspeaking. Aspergers sucks ass. I felt for him every time he'd get mad at himself for a simple misspeaking.

Shale: Is still Shale, is still awesome, was not notably different. I talked to him a bit less this time, but yeah.

OK: Does what OK does. Actually seemed less wired up, I think he must have been under much more stress at 2 than now, which makes sense from what I can recall. Really, many people seemed more relaxed this time.

Soppy: Really even keeled, quiet-but-not-hideously person, neat to be around. Also is the reason I was able to make it at all which is awesome.

Tonfa: Has the sexiest accent in the DL, although Grefter's is a close second. Tonfa just being Tonfa is also just somehow more badass in person, I don't understand it. Maybe it's the fact that he's cheesy. <_< >_> Is exactly what I expected, except in appearance. I kept thinking surfer dude for appearance when I met him. It was awesome and I can tease him with it if I ever feel like lowering my own dignity by doing so~

Nitori: Did not spin, but did tilde. Is too quiet, we need to forcefeed him one of those pieces of cheesecake next time, that should do it. Sorry I never got around to playing Melty, there just weren't enough hours and it somehow never happened. ;_;

Notmiki: Seemed around what I expected, although I didn't actually get to talk to him much. Pity. Oh well, 28 people is a lot of people, and IIRC he got in later than most.

Niu: Still has the awesome wailing powers. Didn't get to talk to him much this time, he seems about as insane as usual though~

Djinn: You know, I think the reason he comes across oddly online is because of the time spent in japan; I've noticed that japanese language structure, even well translated, sometimes comes across a little overly formal often, and Djinn's completely ridiculously laidback yet comes across a little oddly formal on paper. It may be due to being used to using both languages a lot? I dunno, it's a thought. Or I could just be completely wrong. Which is to say in person he's probably as cheerful as I am. Also the bastard walked up to me and rickrolled me. >_>

Dhyer: Didn't get much of a chance to talk to him either. ._. Ah well, I did hang out with him some at the Cheesecake place IIRC? He hasn't changed much from last time~

Zenny: Probably even less snarky and more laid back than at DLC2. It's neat.

Pyro: Sadly didn't get to talk to him much, he seemed a lot more laid back in person than online and generally interesting to be around, but just didn't get much time in the same circles. Again, 28 people is a lot.

Grefter: Spent a lot of time with him. Again, second most sexy accent in the DL, incredibly interested in music to a level that doesn't even come across online(Yes, he comes across interested, but in person it really hits home that he cares more about music than games.), gave me tons of cool music that I still haven't listened to because I want to be in non-burnout mode before I listen to it. Actually a lot happier/non-angry in person than you'd think, although it doesn't really surprise me somehow.

Ciato: Is Ciato. Not noticably different from last DLC(Except that I want to say she's lost weight. But I'm not sure. Two years is a long time.).

Fnorder: Never saw him. ;_; Damn timing!

Tai: Had a taigraine the entire time evidently, didn't get to talk to him much, actually missed this fact until I was told it. ;_; Damn obliviousness. I will get that damned mod working for you somehow, though.

Tal: Mmmm...about like I expected, pretty...I don't know, normal for the kind of nerdy person that's at the DL, if that makes any sense. And it doesn't. Didn't stand out as hyper or overly emotional or as different from my expectations or anything like that, just is a normal Tal. I know this doesn't make any sense, and none of the DL is exactly bland or boring so that's not what I'm saying at all there. I'm just not sure how to put it better.

Andrew: Is moderately happy and peppy without being bouncing off the walls like say Djinn and I. Generally a person with a wide range of obviously shown emotions, very open and fun to be around.

Lady: Is the most normal person in the DL, hands down. Hell, she could walk by anywhere and wouldn't look out of place! She doesn't even seem nerdy at a glance! It's incredible! Stunning as hell, I tells you. Seriously, pretty cool person.

Elfboy: Sadly didn't get much time with him, which is sad as he seemed a lot more energetic this time despite just having gotten there. Ah well, there's always another con.

Jeff: Meeple's little brother is a lot like Meeple... except you know how Meeple once in a great while gets this way where he gets into rant mode and starts getting slightly angry sounding and rants about triple speed and it's about something weird and you're wondering why, like, say, a Hatbot roll or something? Yeah, Jeff's like that all the time. It's tiring.

Mandy: Is awesome and I didn't even hear her shrieking ToV quotes.

I think that's all of it, or at least enough of it. If I missed anyone, I apologize, I'm still a little on the burnt out side still.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
I picked up some WA4 manga or something from Djinn's Giant Pile O' Stuff.  Didn't pick up anything from the fighting tourney since I wasn't very interested in anything left, so I left them there for people who would be.

As for people saying I'm skilled at any game, that's not true.  I got stomped in both BlazBlue and Soul Calibur 4 quite handily.  What I am good at is picking up a fighting game and learning it quickish, but never really advancing much past that (so I do well when no one's played the game at all, but am worse off once everyone's got some practice).  Former case was what happened at the con, so I was at a bit of an advantage.

Speaking of which, it would be nice if the fighting tournament gave people more chance to play the games beforehand, and not at random times.  I know some BlazBlue went on the night before but it was late and people were already heading out.  Kind of the result of con not being long enough, though.  Despite this, I think it went well and was a lot of fun regardless.  I would definitely enter another one even if it was done the exact same way.

I guess I haven't really talked into the con itself.  Overall it was loads of fun.  I actually felt really comfortable there despite never seeing any of you before in my life!

Trip to Meeple's house: New Jersey roads blow.  That is all.

Music Quiz: I might be biased, but I didn't really like the format of the quiz.  Just shouting out answers makes it just a huge mess, and my voice got drowned out not only once but twice during that time when I had the right answer, and was often afraid that some of my other answers weren't heard but those were wrong anyway.  Still was fun anyway.

Mall trip: Didn't really do much there myself.  Chatted with a few people about stuff and that's about it.  Nice to get out and do something though!

Fighting game tourney: Like I said before, needed more of a chance to get people to play stuff.  That or run double elimination so people don't get screwed in the first round just trying to get used to the game.  I know time issues are the problem here, but just saying.  It still went well and I got to play some new games, so it's all good.  Even if only one of them interested me any because two of the others I barely got to play (SC4, BB) and the other other one was just kind of boring (SF4).  mc: I was the Zelda player, yes.  Until I Din's Fired myself off the platform.  I rule.  Djinn: I have played Brawl everyday!  Or close to it.

Bowling: Loads of fun.  Got to bowl with Jim, Dhyer, and Pyro, I believe.  Good times.  Like I told some people in person, I used to bowl a lot as a child, so I have quite a bit of practice.

Airport coming home: Newark decided to make a parting shot as I was trying to get home and delayed my flight for four hours, after I was already on the plane.  So I sat in there for four hours before we even took off, then another two for the flight.

Meeple: Is Meeple.  I actually didn't have problems understanding him or him ranting or him talking too fast.  I didn't speak to him too much besides the Yiazmat stuff since he seemed so busy with stuff.  He does come across just as harsh and assertive as he does online, though.

superaielman: Didn't carry a whip.  What's up with that?  Only got to talk with him in the car rides, but that was mostly just him talking to OK or something.  Pretty much how I expected him to be: sekritly evil.  Or not so sekritly.  The universe does hate him as much as he's said.

CmdrKing: Only got to talk to CK a bit in the hotel room one morning, really, since I think he was quieter than I was on the ride to Meeple's house.  Another person exactly like I expected him to be.  It felt like I've actually known him for years.

metroidcomposite: I don't think I really got to talk with mc ever?  Played a bit of Brawl with her, though.  Will have to fix that next time or something.

Gatewalker: Another person who was as I expected!  Seemed like a leader, which we are sorely in need of.  Did a great job of organizing the fighting game tourney.  Also had some good convos during breakfast on two days.

Xeroma: Xeroma was pretty fun to talk to.  We only really got to talk about fighting games, and while I'm not a huge fan of them, they were interesting conversations regardless.  He sure knows his stuff.  Did a good job setting up the fighting game tourney as well.  I do think you need to worry and apologize less.  We're not going to bite your head off for some minor things.

Shale: Didn't get to hang out with Shale much except on the day I left.  I didn't talk much because 9 AM is way the heck too early to be up.  He does have the Ringtone that Cleaves Evil and this is awesome.

OblivionKnight: Acts pretty much just like he does online.  Naturally cheery and such.  I remember him walking into the airport and going, "Hmm, that might be OK" but he didn't actually approach me so I kind of just held off so I wouldn't embarrass myself.  Was a funny way to meet up though.  Didn't really talk to him much outside of that first day though, but I got a good idea of his personality when he was around.

Hunter Sopko: Sopko reminds me a lot of someone I knew during college.  Except actually likes RPGs.  Another leader and did a good job of pointing people in the right directions and the like.

Tonfa: The Great Vice President!  A bit different in appearance than I expected, but definitely Tonfa in personality.  I didn't really have a problem with your accent, it's mostly the fact that I have trouble understanding quietish people when there's a lot of background noise going on.  I had the same problem with other people as well.

Nitori: Didn't spin.  What's up with that?  Seriously though, Nitori comes across exactly as he does on the interwebs.

Notmiki: I didn't get to really talk to him at all, unfortunately.  Didn't hear any your mom jokes either.

Niu: Niu is crazy.  That's about all I can say because I didn't really talk to him.  Probably because he was glued to his PSP!

Djinnandtonic: Djinn is also exactly like his online persona, just a lot less formal.  Brought lots of shinies and displayed trainwreck.  Unfortunately too much trainwreck was shown and this is all your fault!

Dhyerwolf: Only really got to talk to him at Saturday dinner, though we did get to play half a game of Spades.  Similar to his online persona in some ways and some ways not, and I have trouble discerning HOW.

Zenthor: Didn’t troll!  Or at least I didn’t see it.  Really only got to play some Brawl with him and didn’t get to talk much.

Pyro: My other roommate.  Had a fun convo with him and CK in the hotel room one morning.  He’s pretty much exactly what I expected.  Also was very understanding and helped people out when needed.  Very cool guy.

Grefter: Didn’t talk with Gref a whole lot.  Didn’t really get to see any of the snark, unfortunately.  Oh well.

Ciato: Is Ciato.  Another person I felt like I had known for awhile, even though I didn’t talk with her too much.  I did watch her play Touhou and am afraid I caused deaths whenever I said something.  Sorry!

Taishyr: I... don’t remember talking to Tai much outside of breakfast the day we left, and he seemed like he wasn’t feeling too well.  Unfortunate.

Sage Acrin: Is way too into fighting games!  That said, he’s also exactly like his online persona, though it took awhile to get used to his appearance as well.  I remember watching him play... Apples, I think, and going “who the heck IS that”.  I didn’t really get to talk with him much but another person I got to Brawl with quite a bit.

Andrew Rogue: Is silly.  Really silly.  But very fun!  Got to talk some Cross Edge and a few other things at the mall.  Good times.

Lady Door: Is also awesome.  Didn’t really interact with her a whole lot, though.  Thanks for dealing with the car rental and driving!  Glad all the payment got taken care of.

Elfboy: Really only got to talk with him a bit Saturday night, and not very long.  Hopefully I’ll get a better chance next time.

Mandy: Is awesome.  Breaks ToV the right way!

Jeff: Tries way too hard to fit in, and thus generally comes across as annoying and pushy.

Meeple’s parents: Awesome.  Thanks for tolerating us!

If I missed people, I apologize.  I'm trying to rush this out.

Other stuff: Needed more card games, needed less Brawl, needed more non-Brawl games.  I think not being able to mini-golf didn’t help since we had to do something else during that time, which probably was more Brawl.  Also needed to be longer in general.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:47 PM »
metroidcomposite: I don't think I really got to talk with mc ever?  Played a bit of Brawl with her, though.  Will have to fix that next time or something.

I'm fairly introverted, particularly around people I don't know.  (And I probably have an easier time approaching other girls, for that matter).  So...yeah, do come talk to me; I'm just shy, not antisocial (i.e. I do want to talk to people, I'm just not good at starting conversations >_>).

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2009, 01:42:15 AM »
Djinn: What did surprise me is that he gives Lady Door stiff competition for the hottest DLcon attendee. <_<

There's a penis joke in there, just crying to be heard.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »
I think it was already heard. All the way to Brussels. <_<

EDIT: And if Gate didn't toss that on purpose, he'll probably wish he did right now. That one's a keeper.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:49:33 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2009, 02:43:27 AM »
Four pages in and I still see no pictures here. You guys expect me to wade through all that text? Shee-it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2009, 02:44:09 AM »
You probably did anyway. Well, I did. >_>

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »
Nah. I started to but epic Djinn post put a stop to that. I've got the attention span of a fruit fly these days.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 03:48:21 AM »
Photos go up when I am less lazy, you bitches.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 03:50:31 AM »
Great, like that'll ever happen.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2009, 03:54:29 AM »
All right, in shape for actually coherent thoughts now. Yay sleeping the majority of the time to prevent falling further sick. Most of this will be fairly rambly and may cover events that did not happen during the day in question under a wrong day header!

Wednesday: Was suitably refreshed after getting 11 hours of sleep. After assorted morning activities, we went to Soppy's to meet Sopko and Grefter. As Soppy said, from one glance at his room you can tell he's a collector. >_> Spent most of the time there eyeing his insane amount of loot and being introduced to PUNCHING PUPPET GHALEON (seriously, why does that exist? I mean it is awesome but still. Well I guess that's enough reason.). Then we went for pizza. American pizza is quite good, I must say. Very thick. Afterwards I and Meeple headed back to Meeplelandia to wait for OK and Djinn. Here I notice that I'm a complete idiot for forgetting the power outlets in The Great United States of America are completely different for some reason, which renders some of the stuff I brought over completely useless. Oh well. After meeting with OK and Djinn we headed for New York together to spend a few hours there. And...wow. Times Square and the surrounding areas at night are a completely surreal experience. I enjoyed just walking around there taking in the atmosphere (and no I don't mean the random weed cloud we passed through). Toy store was silly. Ice cream was good. Ended up being introduced to the spine-bending couch. DJIIIIINNNNN!

Thursday: This was the day of the ill-fated first trip to the Gamestop. DJIIIIIIINNNNNNNN! So yes, we were introduced to that game. I was also introduced to Brawl on either this or a previous day...I think it was Wednesday on reflection actually. First time I had played Brawl ever, though I quickly picked up on a few basic FFA skills and most importantly how to die in glorious ways. By the end of the con I was placing consistently second or third unless I was given a total screw you newbies character like Olimar by random (which is not random), so that's something. Best match of the con was the four Falcon face-off in Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2, definitely. DYNAMIC ENTRY! I think the kappa also arrived this day. Strangling followed, but I decided to let him live. He could be useful sometime. Maybe.

Friday: Low downtime between con days was definitely getting to me here, it was either this day or Saturday when I hadn't even fully awakened by the time people were swarming the house. I have a high-maintenance body when it comes to sleep and 6 hours just ain't cutting it. I think this ultimately caused me to catch the cold on the flight back? Oh well. Anyway, music quiz. Was fun times, I was not fully expecting to win there though I can't be surprised either. Quiz happened to have a wide enough selection of tracks I know (including the awesome Megabonus, should have expected that in retrospect considering the aiel was planning it), and I catch most tracks I know almost instantly, so yay. Mall trip also happened. This highlighted the shining DL organizational skills.

"okay we'll meet here in 2 hours"
*45 minutes later, gets instructed to go to a completely different place where everyone is gathered up*

Yeah okay. Well, managed to pick up cheap shirts in the meantime anyway. Cheesecake factory out of nowhere followed, which I believe was also booked on the fly. Considering most of us had just eaten...>_> tried some strawberry cheesecake anyway. Very good stuff albeit far too expensive.

Saturday: FG tournament was nice, though I really would have liked it if I didn't have to go in basically cold on every game. Battle Fantasia was a nice surprise in that it was simple to pick up and intuitive, got to second round before losing to mc playing one of the 247356 flaggirls in the tournament. SC4 I got steamrolled, I don't know what that game did to Siegfried but everything I tried was different from my expectations. BB I got stomped on by Sopko who apparently got some actual game time in the night before. SF4 I buttonmashed my way into second round pretty much, had no idea what I was doing even by the end of it. Brawl...>_> I'm sure the Brawl players here found my match against Niu hilarious and painful to watch. Faced an actual Brawl player in Zenny in the next round and was put out of my misery. Bowling was up next, this was really great. Many of the DLers were clearly more relaxed here, I went on to get the best bowling score of my life feeling really hyped too. (Yay silly poses~) Won on my lane, being in the EPIC BATTLE of Kappa/Me/Zenny/Xer. I also appreciated the bowling alley rickrolling us. Seemed to cause Xer great pain though. >_> Stayed around to eat dinner at a cheesesteak place, got the biggest meal available which seemed to confuse super greatly. What can I say, I don't gain weight. Going back to Meeple's place, managed to snag up a spot in Arkham Horror. After 30 minutes of "what the christ", it clicked and I had a lot of fun with the game. Shotgunning an Elder God in the face is a great thing. Also, the game really loves to hate its players: My first character's life's goal was to die in a very specific way. (Obviously, it happened in another way.) Nitori drew a redshirt detective whose life goal was to DIE...and got more get out of death free tokens than anyone else. Yes.

Sunday: Woke up early to play against Mr. N. Tori in SC4 and see him off. The random custom character creations are not QUITE as hideous as in SC3 but there were still a few combinations that caused me to lose a match just because I couldn't concentrate on the match over cracking up too hard. Tiredness was catching up to me in the afternoon, I believe I took a nap on the spine-bending couch while people were playing Gloom or something, I just really wanted to tune Jeff out more than anything at that point. Somehow ended up demoing CV:J to some of the late arrivals, beating up the final boss of Chrono Cross with a clock laser much to the applause of the people who will never have to see the game again. Saw everyone off, went with Meeple and Djinn to the airport, enjoyed mostly listening them bicker back and forth about Tales and MF6, got to the airport, spent forever on the airport, then started the travel back and was a delirious wreck by the time I got back home~

There were a great many other things but chronicling everything about the con would take way too long! I had a fantastic time throughout.

Okay, so I guess I'm obligated to toss out some quips about people.

Meeple: Is Meeple. Exactly as advertised on the internets. Did a great job of managing the con and the guests.

super: Oh faiel. When will the universe stop using your ankle as a running gag? Very soft spoken, does not actually carry a whip, which makes him about as imposing as a Chu-Chu in person. Had several good chats with him chilling out near a fan.

Cmdr: Uh. Didn't really get to talk to him much. No real impression, sorry!

mc: I'm very grateful for her covering up a bit of my travel expenses, it helps. Was fun to be around, but didn't actually talk to her much.

Gate: The big guy who organizes things. Looked very stressed out.

Xeroma: Very passionate about his gaming, as I expected. Concurring that he really doesn't need to apologize so much. Just work on that indoor voice and you're fine.

Shale: Good at making snarky comments. >_> Sorry, that's all I got!

OK: Exactly as advertised on the internets, which SOMEHOW is possible apparently. Fun to be around. Had super's travel karma this con which caused him to miss out on a bunch of things which made me feel bad for him. Oh well, sometimes these things happen.

Sopko: Mm, don't have much to say about him somehow. Maybe because I mistook him for Andy half the time. <_<

Nitori: Does not actually spin or tilde in person. Has exactly one tone of voice. Is somehow a worse bowler than super. Is apparently epic at managing money. Has a Fail Mode on his laptop. Is always plotting some far off revenge that will never be realized. Is always locked in an epic struggle with a mysterious fellow named Irotin. Despite all this, is surprisingly balanced! Probably spent most of the time at the con with him and Djinn. Needed more random Melty~

Notmiki: Still a heretic Phantom Brave hater. Why do you hate fun?!

Niu: Exactly as advertised on the internets. Has three modes: Playing, freaking out, or asleep. Very amusing.

Djinn: This was a big surprise. Djinn never came across on the internet as more than "that guy who like Tales, has strange ideas and likes to draw". Turns out he's a LOT more expressive in person. In fact, he is now the official Vice Presidential Fun Master. Just BSing about random things with him was a whole lot of fun, though I must say I will continue to deny any invitations to drink in the future~. "Welcome to the time rift." "JUST AS PLANNED!"

Dhyer: Another one who was kinda there. Big con, you don't get to socialize with everyone. Oh well.

Zenthor: A lot more mellow in person and doesn't seem to have any of the troll attitude offline. A very nice guy (Yes, yes, it's true)

Pyro: Very average by DL standards? Didn't talk to him much. >_>

Grefter: Also more mellow in person. Occasionally throws in a comment about cocks or eating babies to confirm he really is Grefter. Fun, etc.

Ciato: Perma-^_^

Mad Fnorder: Didn't get to see much of him. Apparently the only Maxi player in the world that does things other than "spam buttons"

Taishyr: Tai-to-ro, Tai-to-ro~

Sage Acrin: Very excitable. Comes across as a bit too serious about winning in fighting games, but generally a nice guy. Scary thing is I'm starting to understand what his PBP narration slash analysis of new FGs means. >_>

Talaysen: Very quiet. Seemed to slip into DS mode a lot when nothing immediately exciting was going on. Should have talked with more.

Andrew Rogue
Lady Door: Huge props to both for hosting the Arkham Horror game and running a clueless me through it, it was a lot of fun. Not much else to say, sorry!

Elfboy: Sorry, don't have much of a comment on you either. 5 days is way too little to get acquainted with 25 people.

Pictshurs later when I get unlazy enough to hook up the camera.

EDIT: So there are not one but TWO Rinoa figurines in the figurines pack? Djinn, you've got some 'splainin to do.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:08:23 AM by Tonfa »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:46 AM »
I'm fairly introverted, particularly around people I don't know.  (And I probably have an easier time approaching other girls, for that matter).  So...yeah, do come talk to me; I'm just shy, not antisocial (i.e. I do want to talk to people, I'm just not good at starting conversations >_>).

Well, this is going to be a problem, since I'm exactly the same way (except the "have an easier time approaching other girls" part for obvious reasons).

Talaysen: Very quiet. Seemed to slip into DS mode a lot when nothing immediately exciting was going on. Should have talked with more.

That's because there was too much Brawl!  I actually didn't play as much DS as you think because I ended up getting distracted by something else going on or people nearby talking.  I actually have no problems with this and welcomed it!

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2009, 05:04:05 AM »
Picthsurs are GO!

Random NY scenery.

Just...ask OK.

Yes, Djinn, Wobbuffets are totally rad.

Pipluuuuuuuup

A challenger appears!

Chu-chu and Piplup.

I had to take proof of its existence.

And of course, DL group photos of varying degrees of failure. Proving that all cameras WILL seek to take their shots at the worst possible time.

Going by the lowest picture, let's see...

From left to right, kneeling in the front, Tal, Shale, OK, Lady Door, Nitori.

Standing up, Tai, Dhyer, Djinn in the far back, ungodly cool mysterious Finnish fellow in the front, Niu, mc, Elfboy, Ciato, CK, Sopko, Pyro, Meeple, Gate in back, Notmiki blocking him, Sage, Zenny, Andrew, super doing his best pretty princess impression, Grefter.

Not pictured: Xer, who is to the right of me in the uppermost photo and in the middle of a swarm in the middle one.
Fnorder, who arrived Sunday.

Dookie, the bestest dog ever, is also present in the uppermost picture. More dogs need to be that awesome and fluffy.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2009, 05:32:53 AM »
You even kind of look like Richard Hawk. That's impressive, Mister Vice President.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
I think it was already heard. All the way to Brussels. <_<

EDIT: And if Gate didn't toss that on purpose, he'll probably wish he did right now. That one's a keeper.

Lowbrow jokes? Me? You must be mistaken, I am always the epitome of good taste and class.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2009, 06:14:20 AM »
And that's one of the reasons why we love you.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2009, 08:33:17 AM »
So, DLC4. It was good, etc.  Mostly ran around like a crazy person trying to chatter with everyone, distributing hugs like candy, and enjoying Meeple’s sister and her shear entertainment value.

The new:

Nitori- Very quiet, and I didn’t get much out of him really. I hope he had fun. He’s pretty funny and distinctively kappa-like when I did hear him talk though.

Tal- He’s a lot of fun when you get him going! He seemed pretty comfortable after a couple days and he seemed to like to talk more. He is a quiet confident fellow, doesn’t really talk willingly but he’s pretty bold and well-spoken when he talks? Also OWNS US AT BOWLING, CURSE YOU TALLYCHUUUU!! Also a pretty damn good Smash player. I am not sure of how well he received the title of Tally-chu.

DJ and Tonic- I really didn’t know what to think about DJ. I always saw him as this guy who isn’t anything like me at all – loves Japan, Tales, and Disgaea- but he’s a pretty good guy in person. Much thanks for Vivi as well as the Suikoden Doujin (pretty pictures~~). We ended up talking and just generally having a lot of fun. There’s always someone at the DLCs that I have a drastic change in view of, and Djinn wins the prize here. Really hilarious guy. He actually mentioned that he thought I didn’t like him on the forums very much, and I just nervously chuckled and gave hugs. >_> <_<

Tonfa- I love this man. He’s quiet but very nice and funny as hell. Love the accent as well, it is ownage. I really hope you had a blast in NYC as well as hanging out with us crazy kids. And I hope you endured the Meeple’s brother well enough.

Jim- Very low-key, I enjoyed chatting with him but he is way quiet.

Pyro- Haha, he’s so sweet. He will ensure that none of us crazy kids get ourselves into trouble by being the protective big brother type. Intensely polite. He really wanted to clean up and make sure things were nice and smooth with the parents and such. I think he’s the type needed at such events, really.

Fnorder- Crazy! I wish we could have hung out more, but oh well~ Maybe next time I come to New York/Jersey.

Strago: Wait, what? SCREW YOU STRAGO!!!

New comments about old people:

MC: ^_^! So glad to see you so happy. I hope to see you soon, dear!

Xer- Seemed to apologize less this Con which was a great thing to see. I think it’s nice that you are willing to be as considerate of other people’s feelings as you are.

Sage- Yay, beard! Sage seemed a lot more cheerful and talkative this time, which was good. Glad to see that. Hope he can get to wherever we are having it next year, and preferably a better method than Greyhound~? Well, whatevs, we’ll see.

Sopko- Sports talk for the win and such. Got to chat with him a bit more at least. Cool dude.

Shale- Yay, finally some time to corner you. ^_~ Shale is super awesome.  Me/Elf/DJ just got to shoot the breeze at the restaurant. And yes, I gave Giants stadium the finger when I drove by it.

Zenny- DIE MONSTER, YOU DON’T BELONG IN THIS WORLD. Hugs are the best.

Meeple- After this Con and post-con, I have a great appreciation for this man. He went above and beyond to be not only a great host during the con before after the con. I think his mom was a little hard on him, but she just wanted him to make a good impression on his guests. What a sweetheart. I just want to hug him.

Tai- Sorry you weren’t feeling well. :(

Meeple’s family

Meeple’s (youngest) sister- Cutest little girl ever. Already mentioned her Crowning Moment of Awesome in this topic. I’m sad I didn’t get to play Life with her. Also “DON’T SAY THAT!!!” when everyone else was trying to think of how to correct politely. On two occasions. >_>

Meeple’s brother- Has made replacing the T-word with Snowbait a requirement. I feel like saying he is that similar to Meeple an insult; Meeple has sooo much more social awareness and humor and actually knows what he’s talking about. (He does look a lot like a younger Meeple though.) Also holy shit he’s 19 and such. Basically I see why Meeple and he don’t get along.

Meeple’s (oldest) sister- Very funny, very New Yorker-esque. She was a great tour guide for us around Manhattan. Showed us things about the subway, which was nice of her.

Meeple’s (other, elusive) sister- ?? Added for completion, I have no idea.

Meeple’s parents- Very cool people who seemed to genuinely enjoy hosting 25 crazy people in their house. They were a delight to chat with post-con as well. I get the feeling that our brains don’t really work the same; they complained about Calculus while talking of liking Organic Chemistry. *shudder*

Dookie- Awww, so cute!

--

SC4 is my favorite game that was played at the fighting game tournament. I’d have liked to get my hands on Battle Phantasia as well but didn’t have time. I suck ASS at Smash, SF4 I was pretty terrible at and I didn’t like it so much, and BlazBlue is way way WAY too slow for my very very impatient self. I won’t hold my impatience against the game objectively but I sure as hell won’t be lining up to play it anytime soon~ I enjoyed feeling like I was wanted in the fighting game tourney. ^_^! The speeding up was a great idea, I was getting pretty bored after BP had gone through a round so I welcomed it being sped up. Also meant I could watch SF4/SC4 instead of long game that tried my patience. OhgodanhourandahalfofBB. I also got my exercise to make up a little for the fact that I ate way too much chips and dip and M&Ms. I was pretty happy CK won one of the fighting games; CK is not one of you fightin’ game playing freaks and as a result is awesome in his ownage of you all.

I really enjoyed talking to mc and Gate and Tai when we all hung out in the room together. Got to fulfill my curiosity about mc’s situation as well, and chat with Gate which is always super-awesome. Tai was vaguely of it but had some great Tai moments as well. There was a lot of chatter in my room for the most part until I was just so damn tired that I finally had a day that I just crashed like hell. Three hour sleeping nights are not a good thing and I had a few of those in a row.

Music quiz… well, uh, yay for Bjork so I could actually get a prize~? It was too loud for me and I really don’t get into video game music. I played Touhou instead. I suck.

I went for a lot of walks, since I really like to talk and walk and it helps get out of the loud house and the heat of 25 people. >_>

Anyway, good times. I also have a post about POST-CON!! but I will not wall of text the world.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Bardiche

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »
Wow, my girldar is more broken than I thought.

For some reason I'd thought there'd be more asian-like people among the DL group, but apparently it's just Niu? Huh, figure that.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »
Um, Nitori qualifies too.

EDIT: Unless you actually meant "I'd thought there'd be more asian girls", in which case I'd recommend the Ol' Yeller treatment.

Bardiche

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
No, I meant guys. I'm just surprised to see someone's a male when I pegged them as a female for ages.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:43 PM »
Sage Acrin: Very excitable. Comes across as a bit too serious about winning in fighting games, but generally a nice guy. Scary thing is I'm starting to understand what his PBP narration slash analysis of new FGs means. >_>

Yeah, that's a problem.

I tend to have two settings, overly serious and screwing around. I have a hard time playing anywhere inbetween, for some reason...

I suppose practice will lighten me up. Or make me neurotic so that I quit playing, but I think that's less likely.

But actually, part of it the tourney was more "argh argh argh argh I can do better than that sigh" in BB. It was frustrating. SF4 I saw coming after the BB loss, everything else I was just having too damn much fun and wasn't serious in the least. Excitable as hell, but not serious.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2009, 03:44:04 PM »
Aw. Honestly I feel that taking games seriously is fine as long as you aren't mean to the other player. I am pretty hard on myself for losing things I should have won and screwing up in things like Touhou, and I do like winning in fighting games. >_>
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
Like, 70% of the fun of fighting games is talking trash and yelling.