Register

Author Topic: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Monado Mandala Week 6  (Read 9357 times)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Monado Mandala Week 6
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 02:28:08 AM »
...yeah.  My team loses.  Snow's gone over it well enough for others to understand that I don't think I need to go over it at all.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 02:56:19 AM »
And yes, Melfice has some status, but he *has to use it on Lyn*, where it's almost irrelevant.

I distinctly recall Shh! having a fairly decent area of effect, so Firefly isn't helping, at least not to me.  It doesn't help that I'm not sure if I see TDL as being enough to take out FailPope, and that he goes before Lyn and paralyzes her with GadZap.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »
I never said Jessica OHKOed to me - that's putting words into my mouth. I was just going by -your- idea of "he gets OHKOed by everything". To me, he's sub-PC HP, but he's not getting OHKOed by Jess even if both TDL hits focus on him, which... quite possibly won't happen, three targets. And you do realize that Purim does not get to Ice Saber before Rubi gets a turn, right? And I'm not sure he even gets OHKOed, he is durable - although the 4x damage makes it close. Counter happens, and that's the end of that.

EDIT: Also, I apologize if I sound pushy, but I do get excited when arguing, and I find that heat fun. It's absolutely nothing personal, I just like a good heated back and forth.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:22:23 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:42 AM »
For what it's worth, DS Rubi loses that 4x weakness, too.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 03:41:21 AM »

Team Snowfire | Purim, Lyn (Firefly), Garnet, Lyn, Rena
[Floor 6a]
Team Snowfire vs. Reno, Rude, Elena, Fujin and Raijin- Voting later.
Team Snowfire vs. Rofel, Adramelk and Kletian
Team Snowfire vs. Rubicante and Barbariccia
Team Snowfire vs. Xenobia and Royce
Team Snowfire vs. Zog, Melfice and Zera Valmar

Team Glen | Cecilia, Raquel (Firefly), Lilka, Jane
[Floor 6b]
Team Glen vs. Habaruku, Barubary and Deathevans
*Full heal
Team Glen vs. Sephiroth and Jenova
*Full heal
Team Glen vs. Myria3 and Teepo- The MT status spam, it burns. This doesn't require much thought.
*Full heal
Team Glen vs. Zophar, EBC Ghaleon and Borgan
*Full Heal
Team Glen vs. Xorn

Team Namagomi | Geddoe, Rune, Kyra, Selan, FF5 Mime (Elemental Advance)
[Floor 3b]
*All ST is MT
Team Namagomi vs. Augst and Scythe- Joke fight. BUT. Augst has his uses here, as we'll see below.
Team Namagomi vs. FFT Chemist, FFT Priest, FFT Samurai and FFT Knight- Selan's pretty damn slow at first, but should beat FFT heavy armor users to the punch. Knight may get a turn, but it shouldn't matter too much?
Team Namagomi vs. Magus, Lucca and Marle- Selan's offense is kind of a joke. But thanks to Augst's counters, she's pretty much 100% assured of having a full IP bar. That means Holy Energy--->smash here. It's an older weapon and running off her not good STR, but it's still a 3x IP hitting Lucca/Marle defense. Odds are it's killing both of them. Magus can't really solo from there.
*Full Heal
Team Namagomi vs. Nina4 and Crono- Easy enough. Other team doesn't have enough direct offense to really threaten here.
Team Namagomi vs. Alma, Ramza and Dycedarg- I'm thinking that Mbarrier lets Dyce get at least one turn. THAT is likely death for the enemy team.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:48:08 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 03:49:09 AM »
Glen and Nama's teams regrettably fail.

I'm not entirely convinced that Snow loses, though. Defense buffs are generally pretty damn effective, and the arguments sound solid enough. I'll have to check up more on that.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm done thinking about it. ABSTAIN on Snowfire.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:04:58 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 04:20:16 AM »
Team Namagomi vs. Magus, Lucca and Marle- Selan's offense is kind of a joke. But thanks to Augst's counters, she's pretty much 100% assured of having a full IP bar. That means Holy Energy--->smash here. It's an older weapon and running off her not good STR, but it's still a 3x IP hitting Lucca/Marle defense. Odds are it's killing both of them. Magus can't really solo from there.

Uh, how's Selan getting Holy Energy, exactly?  The only weapon available that grants it is the Gladius, which she can't even equip.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 04:23:24 AM »
*Headdesk* My fault, the girls can't use that! *Flips through FAQ* Selan's best option would be the War Rapier... which is likely her best weapon for offense at that point anyway. It's only a 1.5x IP, so it's probably a bit above average damage.

That+Kyra/Rune damage -should- finish the girls off before they get a turn, so vote stands.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 05:20:52 AM »
Glen and Nama's teams regrettably fail.

I'm not entirely convinced that Snow loses, though. Defense buffs are generally pretty damn effective, and the arguments sound solid enough. I'll have to check up more on that.

I dunno, you -do- have to consider that Purim's buffs are getting neutered by the MT (each extra target that is aimed by a Purim MT spell lowers its effectiveness and duration by a fair amount. Spread around five PCs, the boost just sorta fails), Garnet's buffs have awful awful duration and can't be MT'd, and I'm still having a hard time swallowing any DQ8 buff not named Acceleratle or Oomph doing anything but fail horribly. Turns spent buffing are also turns spent not making any offensive leeway - which is not good in a bevy of fights that's heavy on strong MT offense.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Dungeon vs Team Glen - Too little revivers/not enough physical blitzers/lack of durability. Even being generous and allowing peeps non shop status blockers like for Teepo's confusion there's just too much status on and not enough accessory slots on the floor. Being honest I'm not all that familiar with Cecelia's Lock State but even if she was protecting everyone with it at all times the team still has scary enemy damage to deal with like teh evil Super Nova. For example even with Sephiroth alone you have to face powerful damage in Physical, Shadow Flare and Break. The mages and Jane run screaming from Physical because it's worse for them and once Seph takes out *any* of the revivers or Jane (he's faster than Jane to boot and that's not nice) it's game. His. I'm sorry but this is just evil and even allowing Raquel to bypass Sephiroth's melee immunity for some reason ... I'm really not seeing how this team gets round the sheer level of offence/status/debuffing the enemy is putting out. Sephiroth alone practically solos this. Jenova might as well be a non factor but she *does* serve as a distraction to let Sephiroth play around *and* Death has Silence. Lol Silence yes but it suddenly becomes a whole different ball game when it's vs mages who as far as I know can't/can't afford to block it.

Congratulations though for making it this far in the dungeon with only a four person team =-) Well done on getting good use out of Jane as well!~

Dungeon vs Nama - Super brought in some excitement and spiced things up with the information about Selan, etc but I still think Magus will be able to get in a turn or more while Nama's team is dealing with the girls. That means he probably gets to take out at least one of Nama's team with ID, two if he's lucky. Then they still have two more teams to deal with and it's scary stuff for Nama. I hope Nama doesn't feel too bad about this, the team *was* an interesting idea =-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:11:05 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Bardiche

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
Dungeon VS Glen and Namagomi.

Sorry Glen, but yeah. :/

Lock State is... an FP-triggered action. I don't see Cecilia getting the required FP before Teepo gets a turn, so nasty things happen and the team dies a horrible death at RaquelMyria's hands.

Withholding on Snow. The arguments are there, and... well, I need to check stat topics et all, fffff.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
Lock State is a Hi level white magic made by combining a Wing with a Muse that affects the whole party, it doesn't require any force, maybe you're thinking of Marivel's Status Lok?

Though there is one thing I'm kinda interested in even though I don't think it really helps me get past this terrible decision of a floor that I picked.  If someone has a hard copy of WAo complete with the manual, can they check it to see if it says anything about the properties of Cecilia's magic for me?

There's something interesting that it said about her magic that I vaguely recollect reading a while back but I've since misplaced the manual for the game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:48:52 PM by Glen Veil »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Char and Gale are indeed MT (and the former is evil). The stat topic should probably say, yes, but it dates from the days before the dungeon when we figured "hey it's a duel, do MT tags really matter?" is the only excuse I'll offer for Meeple. That and Char being MT was super-memorable to me at least. <_<

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Bardiche

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »
*throws out WA:ACF*

Out, ye foul demon! I forget everything!

Though there is one thing I'm kinda interested in even though I don't think it really helps me get past this terrible decision of a floor that I picked.  If someone has a hard copy of WAo complete with the manual, can they check it to see if it says anything about the properties of Cecilia's magic for me?

Sure. I remember putting it in my bookshelves somewhere, so let me look for it. Can you be more specific though what you want me to look for?

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:39 PM »
I mostly interested in if the manual says if her magic is dispellable or not.  My memory tells me that I've read it somewhere before, but unless it's official from that manual it would probably be in poor taste to try and hype it.  I also could be completely wrong so it's why I wanted to check before I brought it up.  I also don't feel like playing through the game up to Pandemonium to actually test it on Shazaam >.>.

Mostly interested for future reference, I'm still inclined to fail my team all that said.

Bardiche

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »
Dispel

Removes magic cast by opponent (Cecilia's magic is unaffected)

MP 3/1 enemy

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Ah alright, I knew I remembered something.  It probably just meant that she can't dispel her own magic, thanks for looking that up for me, it's been bugging me for a while.

Bardiche

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I presume it doesn't mean she cancels out enemy magic, no. :P

It's been a godawful long time for me since I played WAo last, so I definitely should play it again to get the PROPER WAo cast in my head. I just recall Rudy was damn useful like Cecil, and that Cecilia's magic was lolwut @ buffs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu reads up.

Hm? WA1 Dispel is pretty typical. Undoes applied buff spells from enemies and whatnot, from my memory. Nothing fancy.

EDIT: Also, Snowfire, I really need to ask this. Have you checked if Insulatle is MT? OK's DQ8 topic does not point out it is, and his topic is fairly comprehensive about what is ST, GT or MT. If it isn't MT, your whole argument crumbles into dust, because stopping a MT OHKO on one person so it can just blow up almost immediately is epic failure.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:58:09 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 03:18:44 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu reads up.
EDIT: Also, Snowfire, I really need to ask this. Have you checked if Insulatle is MT? OK's DQ8 topic does not point out it is, and his topic is fairly comprehensive about what is ST, GT or MT. If it isn't MT, your whole argument crumbles into dust, because stopping a MT OHKO on one person so it can just blow up almost immediately is epic failure.

Insulate
Combat/Party/All
Makes a barrier that cuts the damage of fire and ice spells by 50% for 6-9 turns

Kaboom (Tension)
Combat/Enemy/All
A large explosion that causes 105-120 base damage, and up to 200 damage

Explanations taken directly from a DQ8 FAQ.  Kaboom is only included for reference, in case there's a bit of confusion for how things are handled.

Taishyr

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:42 AM »
Yeah, I'll also vouch for Insulatle being MT, I abused it for that at a few points.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 03:40:31 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu nods. Then, OK just forgot to note it. Does figure, though, Insulatle already blows being MT, it'd just be worthless if ST.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 06:49:23 AM »
[Floor 6a]
Team Snowfire vs. Reno, Rude, Elena, Fujin and Raijin
Team Snowfire vs. Rofel, Adramelk and Kletian
Takes way too long. My general interpretations are pretty bad for Snow on the whole. Boss durability respect and TB speed views just make this a mess for Snow. Even if he somehow scrambles through this fight, he's not going to be in much condition to take on both of the next fights, which also benefit a lot from my views.

Team Glen | Cecilia, Raquel (Firefly), Lilka, Jane
[Floor 6b]
Team Glen vs. Habaruku, Barubary and Deathevans
*Full heal
Team Glen vs. Sephiroth and Jenova
Fly and such. Somewhat convinced that Sephiroth alone is a rough fight. Jenova serves as icing on the cake.

[Floor 3b]
*All ST is MT
Team Namagomi vs. Augst and Scythe
Team Namagomi vs. FFT Chemist, FFT Priest, FFT Samurai and FFT Knight
Laggy Fantasy Tactics and Reflect Mail seal this.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:17:05 AM by The King in Yellow »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 11:19:18 AM »
[Floor 3b]
*All ST is MT
Team Namagomi vs. Augst and Scythe
Team Namagomi vs. FFT Chemist, FFT Priest, FFT Samurai and FFT Knight
Laggy Fantasy Tactics and Reflect Mail seal this.

Not that I don't agree that Nama loses on this floor, but...  Isn't allowing Laggy Fantasy Tactics kind of unfair?  I mean, it is something of a fan hack, for lack of a better phrase at the moment...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
Seconding magic. It's a fan hack. Voting on that is a half a step above sticking your ears in your head and going lalalalalalala magic pixie dust power~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and completely ignoring the rest of the universe.

[Floor 6a]
Team Snowfire vs. Reno, Rude, Elena, Fujin and Raijin- Raijin/Rude aren't threats, Elena... isn't really either offhand? Rena has the fallen hope by now which helps resources some.  Snow's right though, this floor is a resource drain in general.
Team Snowfire vs. Rofel, Adramelk and Kletian- Sure. Kletian can be silenced, Rofel is below average speed and Adramelk can't take out an entire team.
Team Snowfire vs. Xenobia and Royce
Team Snowfire vs. Zog, Melfice and Zera Valmar- My major concern for Snowfire's team on this floor is:

Will Snowfire's resources hold out? More specifically, the Xenobia/Royce fight is brutal. Royce is taking Lyn out turn one and Xenobia can inflict stone. Her MT damage is worthless until Rena's dead thanks to stone checks and Fairy light. Rena's resources aren't really a problem. She has 400ish MP and her revival costs 20, her MT healing costs about the same. Garnet I'd peg around  250 MP or so. Both of these girls having nonfull revival puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the team. They can't really afford to have Jessica or Purim spam revival due to MP concerns.

Garnet and Rena (Iffy equip, SO2 blacksmithing and all) can resist for the final fight, which doesn't help with Demon Horde slash.  Melfice opens with that, Jessica whips the pope but good, Zera can't do shit to Rena or Garnet either thanks to Firefly and Rena resisting thunder/blocking the status. Oh wait. Ba-boom! Assuming Melfice and Zera line up their turns (And I think Zera scrapes above average speed in the DL), Snowfire's team is in trouble. They don't have the resources to outheal the team, and Zog's speed sucks but Char is respectable and MT enough to cause trouble.

I'm leaning towards voting for the floor. Team's under steady pressure after the FFT fight onward.
-------------------