Author Topic: Is there a computer wiz in the house?  (Read 869 times)

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Is there a computer wiz in the house?
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »
Ok, so ever since I built my computer there's been this software problem. To start, I'm using Windows Vista 64bit. Ok, so the computer will boot up normally until it gets to the point where under normal circumstances it would load the welcome screen. The screen just goes black, then the computer will try and boot up again and I'll get an error message that says: "Windows could not start properly. A recent hardware or software change could have caused this problem. To fix the issue, please insert your Windows Installation CD and click on Repair Computer"

Then it gives me a bunch more options like starting in Safe Mode with the options of the Command Prompt or Networking.

Usually takes one or two of these before the computer will just boot normally for some reason, and then it works just fine. But I moved into my dorm room today and it's been an hour and it's still lnot working. I would blame the college network for screwing me up but like I said this has been around since I built the damn thing. I have started the computer in Safe Mode here successfully, though, so at least the basic stuff works. But I'm wits end what to do and I don't know if the college tech support can help me or not.

The first time this happened and it booted normally, it said there might be a problem with one of the chipset drivers. I believe it's for my processor but I'm not sure. Everytime I look at it in the Device Manager it says it's working just fine.

So...what should I do? Try and update my drivers? Reformat?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a computer wiz in the house?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
Update drivers is good, chipset should be for your motherboard, could try that.  If you can swing it you could try downloading Windows 7 RC and format and install that.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a computer wiz in the house?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
And then it starts up first try today.

This kind of shit is going to make me a Luddite
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.