Register

Author Topic: Good Xorning, 2008!  (Read 148011 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2008!
« Reply #1250 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:15 AM »
I'm starting to realize that your academic idols are your idols because you are a masochist.

That's exactly what being an academia rat is all about.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 29, 2008, 01:32:04 AM »
I'm starting to realize that your academic idols are your idols because you are a masochist.

That's exactly what being an academia rat is all about.

Also why no matter how much I try to keep myself to studying aspects of constructing a story (re: Creative Writing emphasis) I keep getting drawn back into classes that revolve around rhetoric and discourse, no doubt.

Re: Grefter

That Derrida is not a nihilist seems pretty self evident from the article and book (well, really short book anyway) I've read of his.  He seems less of a nihilist and more of someone who thinks there is a universal truth but we will simply never be able to reach it, only grow closer and closer toward it while ultimately never being able to reach it without inevitably reaching an "abyss" between humanity and it.  Not exactly nihilism, if you ask me.  Granted, this is off of all of two of his works so hey.

As for Foucault not being a postmodernist... does Postmodernity actually MEAN anything specific?  Given how wildly different the ostensible meanings the term has depending on what context or field of study it comes up in, I kind of just assume that it's a relatively meaningless term.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: October 29, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »
Post-modernism, historically, just means a catch-all term for cultural production after the modernism period - in my field. In contemporary studies, it also is used as a term to highlight the cultural crossroads situation we now face (basically, the conjuncture of our current worldviews, cultural production, the implications attached). However, the very catch-all nature of the term turns it meaningless very easily, as you probably experienced yourself. It also has a fairly widespread use as a derisive term in academia - specifically, as something meaningless and devoid of content.

So, yeah. And I know I'm not Gref, but I hope this wasn't thoroughly useless. >_>

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 29, 2008, 01:58:09 AM »
When I said Re: Grefter I just meant I was responding to Grefter, not that other pretentious assholes couldn't respond.

Anyway, that seems about right to my knowledge (I'm assuming your field is literature or some variation of such, and even if not it still probably applies), though it still feels largely meaningless due to the number of things that it can be attributed to.  In the context you give it to say "Foucault is not a postmodernist" is essentially saying "he does not deal with societal implications of current world views" so I don't exactly know what Grefter's getting at in this.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 29, 2008, 01:58:30 AM »
Postmodernism in Sociology is a specific thing not a vague catchall thing (like it is more so in say Architecture).  It is questioning of the universal truths that Modernism assumes is there.  Where Modernism seeks a grand unified theory of everything, Post modernism uses a methodology of examining each component on its own merit (Compare Functionalism to Post-Structuralist is probably the best I can come up with off the top of my head).  I guess the difference between first and second wave Feminism can be used as an example of the results of it.  First wave was about suffrage, right to vote, right to work for equal wages and so on.  Second wave was far more about less substantial equalities (albeit still with some of the materialist ones as well) like sexual freedom amongst other things.

The vague meaninglessness of the term stems partly from the free form ideas that postermodernism puts forwards, it is very anti-labelling and anti-structure and how the basic tenets of it apply to different fields can be substantially different, you see it in the difference for the definition I gave above and say, what it means for art where it is often about using a completely different medium to the classical painting/sculpture/so on, throwing out old methods and forms when using classical mediums or exploring art styles outside of your culture and applying them to your own.

And yeah Derrida was fairly adamant against a reputation as a Nihilist which kind of builds up from some of his method and for people that aren't familiar with his work the existence of ultimate truths that we are unable to attain is almost the same thing to them as there being no truths to begin with.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: October 29, 2008, 03:35:23 AM »
I don't think I'd despise Derrida as much if he just said what you just said as opposed to trying to make his points through typesetting.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 01, 2008, 10:40:10 PM »
Car stuff!  My dad's transmission in his car seized up on me when I went to school on Thursday. I took it home, he took it to the mechanics's friday. Turns out it just needed transmission fluid.. or maybe not, it's still seizing up.  Shit. On the bright side I bought a car for 2500. 1996 Jeep Charokee. It isn't perfect but hey, it runs well and everything works, including the radio and AC.

Edit: Shale and I can form the 'Cars just fucked us over' club!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »
See what happens when you offer super transportation, Shale?

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 03, 2008, 10:10:23 AM »
It's more emo fun time with Trance!

[17:58:57] <Eila-Juutilainen> I'm just a coward.
[17:59:18] <Eila-Juutilainen> I don't know it, but I reject those who want to be close to me because I'm afraid. I'm afraid.
[17:59:33] <Tenkishi> heres some advice
[17:59:37] <Tenkishi> TOUGHEN UP
[17:59:40] <Epona> ...
[17:59:44] <Epona> not helping...
[17:59:44] <Eila-Juutilainen>   It's not that simple!
[17:59:54] <Tenkishi>   maybe you're right
[18:00:03] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I have to deal with harassment at school nearly every day!
[18:00:08] <Tenkishi>   well, i'd better go to bed
[18:00:13] <Eila-Juutilainen>   You go do that.
[18:00:16] <Eila-Juutilainen>   Good night.
[18:00:21] <Epona>   It's just hard to accept someone else who wants to be close to you 'cause you just feel like no-one can replace that certain person.
[18:00:27] <Tenkishi>   later Trance

--

[18:01:44] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm going to look terrible. waaah..
[18:01:57] <Eila-Juutilainen>   ._______.
[18:02:03] <Epona>   ;;
[18:02:07] <Shadows>   ._______.
[18:02:10] <KittyKat>   SNAP
[18:02:18] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I've spent my entire life helping others... that I can't help myself anymore
[18:02:31] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I don't know how... Everyone keeps relying on me
[18:02:38] <Eila-Juutilainen>   At school, at home...
[18:03:02] <Epona>   What do you plan to do when you're older?
[18:03:24] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm not entirely sure... maybe get into the computer industry or something...
[18:03:28] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm lost...
[18:04:17] <Eila-Juutilainen>   All this time I've been shedding tears and weeping in silence... Man, this isn't the first time either
[18:04:32] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm crumbling again. Agh...
[18:05:38] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm sorry, I won't emo anymore.

It's my last couple of days of my break, so I'm spending this time to really self-reflect and rant about all the bad and sad things I have kept in myself the past two months. As you probably can tell, it's... Really distasteful.

I'm sorry. No one deserves to hear my whining. Go ahead and yell. I'm already shattered beyond repair as far as I can see.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 03, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
First Masters Degree exam done. Three more to go, and I have about two-hundred pages worth of material to read and have down pat until Friday!

... ohgod.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: November 03, 2008, 03:22:40 PM »
Snow: Don't die.

I'm just killing time in the computer lab today. This is kind of a new leaf type of week. I start a new job at the library and get my car. I can't wait for the car at least, screw having to wait around.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:31 PM »
It's more emo fun time with Trance!

[17:58:57] <Eila-Juutilainen> I'm just a coward.
[17:59:18] <Eila-Juutilainen> I don't know it, but I reject those who want to be close to me because I'm afraid. I'm afraid.
[17:59:33] <Tenkishi> heres some advice
[17:59:37] <Tenkishi> TOUGHEN UP
[17:59:40] <Epona> ...
[17:59:44] <Epona> not helping...
[17:59:44] <Eila-Juutilainen>   It's not that simple!
[17:59:54] <Tenkishi>   maybe you're right
[18:00:03] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I have to deal with harassment at school nearly every day!
[18:00:08] <Tenkishi>   well, i'd better go to bed
[18:00:13] <Eila-Juutilainen>   You go do that.
[18:00:16] <Eila-Juutilainen>   Good night.
[18:00:21] <Epona>   It's just hard to accept someone else who wants to be close to you 'cause you just feel like no-one can replace that certain person.
[18:00:27] <Tenkishi>   later Trance

--

[18:01:44] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm going to look terrible. waaah..
[18:01:57] <Eila-Juutilainen>   ._______.
[18:02:03] <Epona>   ;;
[18:02:07] <Shadows>   ._______.
[18:02:10] <KittyKat>   SNAP
[18:02:18] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I've spent my entire life helping others... that I can't help myself anymore
[18:02:31] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I don't know how... Everyone keeps relying on me
[18:02:38] <Eila-Juutilainen>   At school, at home...
[18:03:02] <Epona>   What do you plan to do when you're older?
[18:03:24] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm not entirely sure... maybe get into the computer industry or something...
[18:03:28] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm lost...
[18:04:17] <Eila-Juutilainen>   All this time I've been shedding tears and weeping in silence... Man, this isn't the first time either
[18:04:32] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm crumbling again. Agh...
[18:05:38] <Eila-Juutilainen>   I'm sorry, I won't emo anymore.

It's my last couple of days of my break, so I'm spending this time to really self-reflect and rant about all the bad and sad things I have kept in myself the past two months. As you probably can tell, it's... Really distasteful.

I'm sorry. No one deserves to hear my whining. Go ahead and yell. I'm already shattered beyond repair as far as I can see.
ADMIN NOTE: This post contains Zenny being Zenny.  If you're the kind of person who enjoys seeing how many times the phrase "fucking moron" can fit into one paragraph, then by all means read on.  Otherwise, skip to the next post--the conversation will still make sense.

Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.  WHAAAA I GET HARASSED AND AM A TEENAGER.
Guess what.  SO HAS EVERYBODY ELSE.  Learn to deal with your fucking problems instead of just whining on the internet all the god damn time. 
And if you can't?
If it's that bad just fucking kill yourself and save us your insipid bitching.

EDIT:  I mean fucking seriously.  Everyone has the right to piss and moan occasionally, I'm not going to deny you that right.  But I've yet to hear you say any god damn positive thing about your life.  OH NOES YOU GET HARASSED.  Listen, you twat.  You starving?  You being beaten?  Forced into prostitution?  Raped?  Near death?  Your good life sudenly fall apart?  You homeless?

If the answer to none of these questions is yes, then stop fucking whiny and grow a pair you stupid cunt.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:59:49 PM by metroid composite »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: November 03, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
Ah, as surely as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, a post complaining about life is met with Zenny's full range of scorn, wrath, and dirty words.

Anyway, Trance, stop with the self-reflection crap.  No one who reflects on their life is happy because if they WERE happy they wouldn't be reflecting on their lives.  Do something productive.  You'll feel better.

Flip side, stop taking other people's crap on yourself.  If you internalize other people's problems, you'll need more help than they will, and you'll never get it from the needy.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: November 03, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »
Zenny: It's not worth the time or effort to respond or give the attention.  Chill out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:54:53 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:24 AM »
Trance:

I say with a lot more sympathy than Zenny that a lot of us have gone through similar things; lack of direction and having negative interactions with our peers. I know I have. Most people have. My advice is that you're, what, 15? Worrying about what you are going to do with the rest of your life isn't going to serve you well. It'll just give you ulcers.

Being harassed at school isn't the -worst- thing that can happen to someone, but it's still something that is definitely worth being upset over. Not a lot I can tell you in this regard, I've never really dealt with serious harassment. Is there no way you could go to school somewhere else? It really seems like you need to get out of the atmosphere you are in if it's causing so much negativity in your life.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1265 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:40 AM »
Meh, if you can't whine, bitch, moan, (and conversely, rage) on the internet, then really, where -can- you get your outlets?

Not that catharsis is actually -good- for anyone, it actually just reinforces the behavior you're trying to get release for...

Still, as much as Zenny enjoys his rage, I enjoy my sympathy.

Trance, I know it sounds trite, it is. But everyone goes through this kind of thing at times, it'll be okay. If you think it helps you to keep from losing it during your daily life, then I say go ahead and whine all you want on the internet.

I mean... it's not like he went and broke the forums rules by posting in the wrong place or anything... >.>;;

-Djinn

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: November 04, 2008, 12:44:39 AM »
Trance: Go ahead and take a deep breath. Expel. Repeat. Vent as you need.

Then stop, and put it behind you.

Yeah, it is trite sounding, but speaking from experience, and, mind you, I'm talking about a lot of experience. I've been in that boat before. I'm probably still in that boat every now and then. Proof positive that, no, it isn't easy and never will be.

Harassment sucks and I don't have much advice beyond this: the simple fact that they are electing to pick on you already puts you miles above them as a person. Take it however works best and let it slide off you. If you need to turn the other cheek, turn the other cheek. If you need to lash out, tell their sorry asses off, ignore the comebacks, go home and do something you enjoy knowing that, personally, you won.

You cannot go through life making everyone's problems your problem. It is severely unhealthy. If you keep doing it, you will end up like me, which is a phenomenally depressing prospect. The sad fact is that you will not always be able to help people with their issues. There are problems you can do absolutely nothing about, and you need to accept that, offer up a crying shoulder and let it go. You also need to realized that people around you, your friends, your family and your loved ones, have a responsibility to offer that same benefit to you. Don't be afraid to lean on them when you need it. If you're tough enough to deal with everyone else's shit when they are down or in trouble, then there are people around you who ought be tough enough to deal with YOUR shit when you need.

TL;DR: Learn to let things wash over you, don't internalize so much and don't be afraid to externalize.

Also, no self-deprecation. It is only funny when I do it. ^_~

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: November 04, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »
Meh, if you can't whine, bitch, moan, (and conversely, rage) on the internet, then really, where -can- you get your outlets?

It's not that he whines.  Hell, everyone whines on the internet.  It's that he whines constantly all the god damn time like a god damn drama queen. 

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1268 on: November 04, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

It's not that he rages.  Hell, everyone rages on the internet.  It's that he rages constantly all the god damn time like a god damn rage-oholic. 

... >.>;;

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #1269 on: November 04, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »
You hit the nail right on the head, Djinn.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: November 04, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
Zenny's comparitively tame these days. No, really.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1271 on: November 04, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
Really I can't remember the last time he really raged against someone who wasn't Trance.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: November 04, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »
Hmm...well as long as I'm the only forum admin while Hal's away, I'm changing the colour of Admins on the active user list to #FF00FF. >_>

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: November 04, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »
*Reads Alfredo Bosi's text about the role of image in the process of literary/poetic discourse.*

*Head asplodes.*

This is awesome.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: November 04, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »
Oh please.  The last time I chewed someone out like this... Well, OK.  Chewing Niu out 5 minutes beforehand.  Before that, though?  At least a good 6 months, not including me just being an arse.  And the difference is that there ARE times where I could opt to be an ass but I'm not, or I even act nice!  Trance has done nothing but piss and moan about his life when he isn't talking about games, and I'm fucking sick of it.  We get it.  You're 15 and you think your life is the most absolutely horrible thing ever.  Shove it, every fucking 15 year old thinks that.

ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE:

I told another user to kill himself and the most modding that happened was a warning to not read my post.  The demand didn't get deleted or anything.  Fuck yeah.