Register

Author Topic: Good Xorning, 2008!  (Read 148075 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2008!
« Reply #1275 on: November 04, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
You know, I'm probably the least qualified person to say this ever, but Trance, I think you seriously need to do something instead of just whining about it over the net >_>.

A lot of what needs to be said has been said. My 2 cents is that basically, most of us have been there. Heck, I'm 6 years older than you and I still tangle with this stuff. Most of the time I feel more like an outcast than actually being friends with my friends. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go into my current field in university for the first THREE years in university. I'm sure various people in chat can vouch for this. I'm not sure even now if it is.

But the one thing that I have learnt? Take Miki's advice. Go out and do something. It's better than sitting there and whining because at least you a) stop thinking about it b) working on something you enjoy gives you greater esteem in that it is likely something you are good with. Do you have any good friends in real life? What about your parents? Consider chatting with them snce they can likely do something about the harassment instead of people over the net.

And as for the direction thing? Don't worry about it. You will be SURPRISED at the number of people who go into university, thinking they have their whole life planned, and then end up doing something else completely different. Not having a direction does hurt; but that's why you should practice goal building. It will help in the short run if you're making the goals small, and you can work with a counseller or your parents to figure out longer goals. Remember the quote, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger?". It's true in a way. If you don't have a direction, you can still go out and find it.

Really, don't sit in front of your computer at night and pull up emo chat logs to be reflective - that's a downward spiral into depression. Focus on something else. Play more games, do some reading, etc.

ON TOPIC:
Something really big happened yesterday. Although not to me directly, I feel like it impacts me anyway. Talked with a good female friend of mine (I believe I mentioned this in chat a couple of times), and found out that she got engaged last weekend.
*mind blown*
Well I guess, I shouldn't be so shocked, since little miracles happen everyday. Still, I was not expecting it at all. And I was one of the few people she ended up telling. I'm very happy for her, although I'm not sure how else I should be acting. I guess I'm just a little restless since I can't really concentrate in the past two days. Tax project is done, and also found out today that I was one of the two people who got a bonus question right. That made me smile for some reason.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: November 04, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »
And as for the direction thing? Don't worry about it. You will be SURPRISED at the number of people who go into university, thinking they have their whole life planned, and then end up doing something else completely different.

*raises hand*

My whole teenage life I couldn't wait to go to college and study Computer Science.  Then I went to college and found out I didn't like it or Computer Science.  Dropped out, became suicidal, blah blah blah.  But in the long run, things worked out for me.  The ability to be patient and endure hardships is a difficult thing to learn.  But once you learn it, life becomes considerably better.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 05, 2008, 12:31:43 AM »
Thirding the above.  Getting into a mess your second year or so of college and then finding what you really love to do and completely changing your life around seems to actually be standard procedure for people I know. 

Bardiche

« Reply #1278 on: November 05, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »
Fourthing. A few of my classmates already have quite a few years of college done and over with and, like me, started their first year of English Teacher studies this period. There're a few that are dropping out due to disinterest soon enough, too. On average half of all students drop out before the first year's passed, and only one fourth of the remainder actually sees it through.

Or so. I plan to change that.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1279 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:50 AM »
Recurring stupidity in the education system from what I can tell.  Yes, trick the 14-15 year old kids into thinking they need to lock into their university and career choices now to panic them into becoming giant balls of stress that'll do anything you tell them to do.  Wears off around 19 or 20, at which point they're too far along to finish out the degree without taking an extra year and a half.  Profit.

Then again, some people just realize they don't love anything they can get paid for.  Hopefully they decide not to consider career achievement terribly important and just a means to monies >.>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:28:22 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 05, 2008, 10:00:54 AM »
It is usually the rousing sound of scornful, unadulterated rage that puts me back on track, so I'm just going to silently thank Zenny there.

Yeah, big fucking deal I whine a lot. Ragerageragerage. I had second thoughts about doing that, and after posting it and seeing that kind of reaction it almost hurt me because I felt like I baited him into doing it. Oh well. RAGETIEM notwithstanding.

I'm kind of surprised that most people have only seen me whining, I believe there have been many times where I haven't been overreacting with such flagrant melodrama, so yeah. I'm going to try hard to set things straight for myself. I've acknowledged countless times that there are others just like me and I don't have much reason to be whining for that specific reason, it's just, as I've been thinking, I don't really know WHY exactly I am the way I am. I guess it is a sort of "identity crisis," in a way.

Again, sorry guys for acting really selfish and whiny, there are times when I can't find anywhere else. Not even my parents.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »
No real idea of what's going on since the library's net access won't let me read the previous pages (all I see are Tide to Trance's most recent posts in this thread) but I'll see you in chat this weekend Trance *hugs*~

Oh so you went with the pink one, Fain Tear was it?

WARNING - Possible TMI alert! - WARNING

God I feel like a goddamn vampire, need to eat meat, yesss meat ... what? >.> I bled quite a lot this month and I've been feeling really drained the last couple of days, someone suggested I go eat meat to start making up for the iron I've lost so yeah <.<

My cycle is returning to what it was before I had the contraceptive implant put in now that it's out so I'm having to deal with this again. Yay! ;p

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:07:23 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 05, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
Try an Iron suppliment if you're craving it that much. Meat also works. Mmm, meat.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 05, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu checks the results for the first MD exam.

... YES! I got approved for the second phase!

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 06, 2008, 01:17:02 AM »
God, I see MD, and I keep thinking doctor.

Snow practicing medicine makes me ;_;
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 06, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »
Well, in fairness, after the Masters, the natural academic step is the doctorate. Being called Professor Doctor Snow at some point in the future will feel jarring.

Ashdla

• Nyah~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #1286 on: November 06, 2008, 04:17:41 AM »
So, I apologize first of all for the random joy to follow, but it's nice to vent to a community who... actually knows what the hell I'm talking about. >.>

SQUEEEE~!

Ahem. More to the point, Laggy and I were actually talking to HUMANS today about my getting citizenship and us getting a house and what would need to take place. Getting actual information and being able to ask questions is just such a breath of fresh air. I've been researching my butt off, but it's like pulling teeth trying to find accurate information you feel is reliable, let alone to talk to an actual person and be able to ask questions without paying fee after tax after *insert more money here* (mainly about the visas and citizenship and whatnot).

Anyway, I just needed a bit of an outlet as to how happy and relieved I am that we now have actual answers, and can plan accordingly. Again, I apologize for the random mushy...ness, but it's such a weight off my shoulders that I had to share it!

~There is always some madness in love, but there is always some reason in madness~

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 06, 2008, 04:37:01 AM »
Awesome. Nothing like being able actually make progress with the federal government. (It being such a rare feeling)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »
So my fancy new mouse that I picked up a bit back.  Laser stopped working.  Buttons work, can't move cursor.  Fuck.  I had got used to it as well, back to my old Intelli mouse and it feels weird.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 06, 2008, 06:08:17 PM »
Met Taish today, which was kind of neat, if a little weird. But I find everything weird, so whatever.

Taish is a gentle giant (or I'm simply tiny), an altogether pleasant fellow who speaks in a charming unaccented drawl. We didn't really talk much, but we had a nice breakfast. All in all a decent experience. Less awkward than some dates I've had.

Taish, I'm sorry if my dad came off as somewhat uncouth. I'm sticking to my guns that he's hands down the most generous man I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: November 06, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
Hi, Spencer! </Taitoro>

EDIT: The bookstore where I applied called! I passed the test and I'm going to be interviewed for a spot tomorrow! Aw yeah.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:43:09 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:39 AM »
He is that big VSM.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Taishyr

« Reply #1292 on: November 07, 2008, 12:38:40 AM »
VSMSpencer: Actually I thought your dad was awesome. >_>

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 07, 2008, 04:45:15 AM »
He is. He's just a strong flavor, like a coffee. Some people he instantly rubs the wrong way.

Taishyr

« Reply #1294 on: November 07, 2008, 01:42:43 PM »
Fair 'nuff, I can see that. He was cool, though.

Though I was sitting there going "huh. These two are related?" And then I thought of my dad and I, and realized it's probably about the same situation. >_>

Edit 1: Also, wait, I've got a drawl?

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 07, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
Metroid- Be around for the update tonight/IM me as soon as you see me online. Thanks.
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
Second exam for the MD done! I pulled an all-nighter reading that Terry Eagleton book, but goddamned if I could -let go of it-. If all introductory theory books were as hypnotic as this, academia would have a far lower dropout rate. ._.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »
Fair 'nuff, I can see that. He was cool, though.

Though I was sitting there going "huh. These two are related?" And then I thought of my dad and I, and realized it's probably about the same situation. >_>

Edit 1: Also, wait, I've got a drawl?

We have more in common than meets the eye.

And a drawl is just a slow way of speaking, not a southern accent. Basically you stretch some of your vowels out in a breathy way. It's a relaxed sort of speaking. >Shrug<

Taishyr

« Reply #1298 on: November 08, 2008, 01:51:16 AM »
Ah. I see. >_>

(I've been told by people from Michigan that I have this really weird accent. Maybe that's all it is?)

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 08, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »
On Monday, I am going to get someone fired.

The long version: This weekend, I was supposed to drive  a friend up to New Jersey for a going-away party for her brother, which would be the last time she'd see him before he deploys to Europe for a couple of years. Then, last week, my car broke down for good. Yay. No worries, though; we agreed to split the cost of a rental car, which it turns out would only run less than $50 for a weekend anyway. So I set up a pick-up with Enterprise for this morning. This morning, I get a call from the guy at Enterprise saying that he's busy and he might not be able to pick me up, and he'll call when he knows for sure. I'm pissed, but there's not much I can do so I say okay. An hour later, it's 11:30 (they close at noon) and I haven't heard anything else from him, so I say "fuck it" and start walking over there in the rain. at 11:50 I haven't heard from him yet (I gave my cell number for contact info), so I call the office to let him know I'm coming in, get put on hold immediately, and dumped into voice mail after five minutes on hold. I get there to find that the office is closed and he's gone home for the day. Checking my cell records shows that he never tried to call me. No other business that rents cars (either a rental shop or a dealership) is currently open in this ZIP code. My friend, who cannot drive and lives in a state with no public transportation on weekends, can't get home to see her brother.

And this is why, on Monday morning, I am going to have that son-of-a-bitch's job. And possibly his spleen.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:31:47 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.