Register

Author Topic: Good Xorning, 2008!  (Read 147894 times)

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2008!
« Reply #625 on: May 19, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
The point is that not only would his kneecaps be broken but that I'd do something too. The military? That's, ah, so not you.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 19, 2008, 02:21:00 AM »
I've never seriously considered it, but I did say it to see a reaction out of mom. Not my finest hour.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 19, 2008, 02:27:13 AM »
No, that really wasn't your finest hour.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 19, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »
Soldier super? Sexy uniform but no.

That would have been rough. Also you guys' mom sound awesme xD

Good morning peeps~

I feel rather lazy today. Debating whether to go into volunteer work or not <_< Need to go for a food shop too >_>

Edit - Oh yeah meant to say since I won't be in chat all week and won't know what's happening, best of luck in the chaos where you are Tai, my thoughts are out there. Take care dude.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:01:45 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 19, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »
Today's the last day before Anatomy and the summer of pain starts. I think I've dealt with everything (Even foisted most of the DL work off on others, thanks again to Tal/Snow/Snowfire). What's the worst that can happen? (;_;)

...He says, before promptly getting his ass kicked around the block on the first day. From today till I land at SFO, it's going to be a hell summer for me- I do  my last day of classwork on the 23rd, get out at 10am, go take my exam at 10:15 (Have to take it early so it doesn't conflict with the con), get out of that at noon, run to the airport and fly all day.

I am going to be a dead man walking for the next two and a half months. And I have to have an A. Take your bets on the Aiel Suicide pool now!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:19:58 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 19, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »
I am going to be a dead man walking for the next two and a half months. And I have to have an A. Take your bets on the Aiel Suicide pool now!

I would have invited you to join me in law school, but alas that cannot happen as I am no longer a law student. Such a pity.

Taishyr

« Reply #631 on: May 20, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »
*drops his Chinese classes on super, walks off*

In other news, the earthquake's really... no, no pun. It's really affected China badly. You guys have probably heard a fair bit of it, but it's about the only thing talked about here as of late. Donation boxes everywhere, too. Mrf.

Taishyr

« Reply #632 on: May 20, 2008, 04:15:41 AM »
A) Classroom issues.

I) Student-based.

1) They never stop talking. Ever. I can count on one hand the number of times the class has been completely quiet and listening to whatever teacher we had that day, and it was a day we had six out of twenty students in class, all the quiet ones.

2) When reading from the dialogue, -none of them- are ever in synch with anyone else, so attempting to follow along is like corralling a swarm of dogs. This also feeds into problem B.

3) Most are consistently fifteen or so minutes late, slam the door when they enter, slam their chair back, let out big heaving fucking sighs when the drop their shit on the table and take no less than two minutes before they stop making arrival noises, all while flat-out ignoring the teacher and drowning her/him out.

4) The same applies to after the break is over; it takes up to thirty minutes for everyone to come back from what should be a ten-minute break and start "paying attention" again.

5) The class is effectively a splice of two different ones; a fragment of my old class and another, smaller class, because my teacher for the first half of the year didn't return for this semester, so I know pretty much no one in this class and they're too interested in socializing with each other in Russian.

6) Of the people who are from my class, we have the girl from Kazakhstan and two guys from Vietnam who all cheat off each other (admittedly all three are rather smart on their own anyway and study hard so I'm not terribly bitter over this one, they'd do well anyway but they're all perfectionists), the girl from Colombia who just hits on one of the guys from Vietnam most of the time nowadays and the guy from Canada who was pretty much my only friend in the class but hasn't shown up since before midterms.

II) Teacher issues.

1) You tell us that we just have three sentences for dictation! Sentences are okay. Paragraphs, however, are not really sentences, no matter how many full stops you remove, and this is true in Chinese as well as English.

2) Furthermore, you tell us to memorize these "sentences" - which are often decently changed in order if not in content from what we have in the book - after reading them twice and hearing you tell them to us in short, fragmented, quick bursts that we can't remember long enough to write it all down while also remembering what the fuck you're saying now.

3) Also, testing us on EVERY SINGLE VOCABULARY, no matter how little it's actually used, how stupid writing it is (and rest assured you won't demonstrate it for us beforehand, since of course we're perfect Chinese students and know precisely how to write everything in the correct order, it comes naturally like wagons before horses) is counterproductive, doubly so when you subvert your own purpose and just have the same goddamn person do it every time, though at least that's a mercy in disguise.

4) It is not that difficult to not make the fingernails-on-blackboard sound when writing. Please avoid doing so.

5) This is doubly an issue when the tone of the lecture is a complete drone only really adding tones at the end of sentences where they're really not that helpful because they'd likely slow you down if you actually said them in the words but of course you don't because that'd stop you from getting through every lesson in three days like clockwork leaving behind all its goddamn gears.

B) Textbook/test issues.

1) We can't hear the dialogue in the text. We can only read it. Please stop presuming that we will immediately know how to say the characters in the books, because Chinese has many characters which change pronunciations completely and it is not immediately obvious which one it is, except maybe to the authors. So clearly this is a textbook directed to Chinese authors.

2) Furthermore, please for the love of all that is good and holy, stop testing us on trap questions even worse than my eleventh grade Physics teacher's tests.  Asking us what "bu de/dei" 不得 effectively means is a stupid as fuck idea if not only the context implies "no need" as a meaning could work (bu dei), but not having told us what "bu de" means and in fact only ever using "de" as the verb->adjective hookup up to this point in any of the books. We are not Chinese, we do not know that "bu dei" is never used in Chinese. It is perfectly logical to presume this sort of stuff, penalizing us because your teachers have taught from the book and thus never covered this sort of stuff is complete fucking bullshit.

3) Is it that hard to add a Pinyin section, even, say, at the end of the book? I know, I know, it's a crutch, but with the issues taken above it's sometimes close to impossible to know what the book is talking about, and it would make speaking practice far simpler because you provide how the dialogues actually are written out so the student can practice just like a good little student should.

4) Furthermore, is it that hard to pull the collective moralcock out and actually write or choose interesting dialogues that make clear the grammar and vocabulary? I'd imagine this isn't too difficult, I've had multiple books which have managed this, but this school's favorite books to teach from are complete shit in this regard. Congratulations, a guy is unlucky. This is completely uninteresting because there is nothing interesting or really ironic about it, he is just whining about how he tries to be a good person but shit goes wrong. This is the sort of thing that fails to hit anyone in most any class, thanks.

C) Migraine

Self-explanatory. Been going on for a month before last Wednesday when it went away, now it's back again and I'm hoping my final pill kicks it out before it settles in again.

D) Conclusion

asdgsdfasdf.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 20, 2008, 04:40:10 AM »
E) Life sucks.

KokokokokokokokokokokoKO!

That sucks, Tai. At least you're almost there and you'll get out without committing homicide. Right?

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 20, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »
You really wish my old German teacher was in charge of your college's language program. Not only does she punt most of the book in favor of doing stuff that teaches you the damn language, she whips all the other foreign language teachers into doing the same. I think it's the one department in my high school that's actually notably good compared to other high schools in the region, since we've got a decent history of putting out good foreign language students.

Of course, I was a lazy ass in that class who never studied or did his homework, but eh... that's just me being a sad silly teenager who'll get his ass handed to him in college. Well, unless I figure out this studying thing quick, which will depend entirely on me being able to put together a schedule that doesn't make me puke.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Taishyr

« Reply #635 on: May 20, 2008, 05:20:58 AM »
Okay. One thing to understand is that I have four teachers, one for each class: Grammar (The main one, also the one that earned 9/10ths of the vitriol up there), reading, listening, and science dictation.

The other three teachers are effectively cool people chained to the book because they're all forced to teach to the same test that everyone takes. The Grammar teacher... well.

Oh. One other thing this school does? Gives you what is effectively a test for people who know 2000~+ characters, and far more words (effectively people entering their third year or so) to a group of people in the first year as the midterm!

AND HAVING IT FULLY COUNT FOR YOUR GRADE.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 20, 2008, 05:30:11 AM »
... are college language classes all that complicated, or is your school just "special"? Your description is somewhat... chilling... thank goodness my major isn't really one that I'll need to talk to foreigners for. And now I think I'm far less likely to take a foreign language on the side just out of curiosity, though I guess I need to look into Messiah's language programs... Still, ew.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Taishyr

« Reply #637 on: May 20, 2008, 05:31:58 AM »
I'm learning the language in Beijing. Most American programs are far more awesome, and I'm not going to hesitate to take Chinese classes when I return. This is just kinda complete bollocks.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 20, 2008, 05:40:39 AM »
Actually makes sense. My German teacher was telling us about how... I think in the 80's it was the fad for high schools to hire natives to teach language courses. The idea bombed horribly because the teachers didn't have any basis for not knowing their own language, and therefore couldn't really relate with how to learn it, which makes it hard to teach it. It's much easier to teach something that you had to learn than something you pretty much know innately, like growing up with a language, because you can recall the process that you went through and apply it to your lessons.

Plus, China lol. Don't hear many good things coming out of there... ever... I still get chills recalling something I read that was posted by nuklearpower.com from an English teacher describing what food was like where he was.

Taishyr

« Reply #639 on: May 20, 2008, 06:05:37 AM »
...The food is one of the few reasons I'm still sane, here; it's awesome and 90 times better than most American foods.

I've many rants about China, good and bad. It's... yeah, for now I'll leave it at that, may talk about it more when I get home. This college experience has just been a complete disaster study-wise for me. And yeah, the other three teachers have all studied a foreign language or two (all three English, listening teacher also can speak a bit of Russian). Grammar teacher cannot, from what I can tell, which would explain why it's bombing so badly for me.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 20, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
The point is that not only would his kneecaps be broken but that I'd do something too. The military? That's, ah, so not you.

I assume that something you would be doing would be wheeling him around in a wheel chair in a little nurse outfit with the hat and all.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Taishyr

« Reply #641 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
Would super still be wearing the army outfit?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 20, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »
... no ... Super is ... the ... ZOMBIE!

Food is probably the main reason I would like China as well <_< Still sucks that the study experience went to pot eh. Well at least you still have quite an experience to tuck away in your memory box. Something to tell people in the future or to remember. One day when we're all old and gray ... what >_>

*yawns* Weekly room tidying out of the way. Do my other chore later. Vacuming this week. Not bad.

Think I'm going to pick up a passport app this week plus job applications for the gaming store and/or the pet shop. Never thought I'd be saying this but I think that's something that I could do! Work in a shop I mean.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 20, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
Plus it gives me a source of cheap kitties! Do it.

;_; Cid won't let me bring out the Kooker near him any more. Monster.
-------------------

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »
heard about that earthquake in China......just awful man. I wish I could go back to school, went twice...left twice, there is no going back this time though....oh well life is life
I think......I think I want to be forgiven. Mhhm. More than anything.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
Damn, Tai, those students in your classes sound like exact clones of the students that were my Chinese Law classes.

Perhaps it is a conspiracy by the Chinese government to prevent foreigners from ever learning anything while visiting Beijing!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 21, 2008, 12:41:26 AM »
Yeah, I've been gone for a while (since Thursday).   

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9783/1000759qb3.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4242/1000763un6.jpg

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7067/1000766gk8.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5977/1000769kn5.jpg

Not the best pictures in the world (wish I were taking them, but oh well), but hey, it's all good.  Done and done with school...

...now just have to take the damn boards ;_;
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:44 AM »
Congrats on your graduation, OK. Once again. ^_^

EDIT: Also, it's Pat on a couple of those pics.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 21, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »
Congratulations, OK. You finally made it.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 21, 2008, 02:49:20 AM »
What's that mark on your face? Is that where they implated the tracking device?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.