Author Topic: Spirit of Our Times  (Read 1810 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Spirit of Our Times
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:15:56 AM »
"Zeitgeist is a German language expression (Zeit means "time," and Geist roughly translates to "spirit") referring to "the spirit of the times" and/or "the spirit of the age." The word Zeitgeist is used to describe the general cultural, intellectual, ethical, spiritual, and/or political climate within a nation or even specific groups, along with the general ambience, morals, and sociocultural direction or mood of an era."

So I was pondering earlier about the word, and got to thinking that really, you can generally find a person or two who represents, either as a spokesperson or an icon, the general zeitgeist of time.

So, I figured I'd put the general question to the DL: who do you feel best represents the politicl zeitgeist of our generation?  I had a few thoughts, but figure I'd rather get some cold responses before biasing the pool with my own ideas.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Spirit of Our Times
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:20:23 AM »
Jon Stewart

What? >_>

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 05:39:09 AM »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 05:44:12 AM »
You're implying that by and large this country has a sense of humor.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 05:57:06 AM »
Jon Stewart or Rush Limbaugh, probably split 40-30.

The remainder have no voice and want to set fire to everyone. I frankly can't blame them.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 09:40:31 AM »
What, and Limbaugh doesn't want to set fire to people?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
As far as I've seen, he doesn't want to set fire to everyone, only to people who disagree with him.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Right now, I'd say Obama qualifies. I don't know if he'll hold it long or if he's already lost it, but I'm pretty certain he had it around election time.

However, it's worth remembering that the zeitgeist is an inherently difficult and elusive thing to define. Pinning it down as it goes along is like trying to grab the shiniest bit of river water - it's an exercise in folly even if you succeed, since it runs right through your hands.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »
Right now, I'd say Obama qualifies. I don't know if he'll hold it long or if he's already lost it, but I'm pretty certain he had it around election time.
I thought about saying Obama.  I dunno, what I remember from his acceptance speech is "hope... change... hope... change... we're bringing a puppy to the White House!"  I don't really remember anything of substance.  I don't feel like he really says anything; typical politician stuff, of course, but....

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 05:15:15 PM »
I thought about saying Obama.  I dunno, what I remember from his acceptance speech is "hope... change... hope... change... we're bringing a puppy to the White House!"  I don't really remember anything of substance.  I don't feel like he really says anything; typical politician stuff, of course, but....

I don't think the zeitgeist requires substance, MC. It simply requires presence and resonating with the mood of the era. This is also why I feel he's lost it by now, but that's another discussion.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Idun

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »
Muammar al-Gaddafi. I'll explain when I get home from work probably.

This is for an ethnic reason (image). Nothing else. Don't know too much else about the guy politically besides dissent, support, etc.

So I forgot I was going to explain. Anyway, his presentation at the UN meeting made me exhale in happiness. Remove all that silly drudgery of conforming to European style dress and ideology of professional presentation. If it is a meeting of diversity, that should be clearly seen and not smuggled through black and white attire. Though he has his political issues, al-Gaddafi reminds me of Lèopold Senghor with pan-Africanism, pan-Arabism that I think is necessary to counterbalance distorted visions of said (large and encompassing) ethnic groups through whatever form of media. Etc.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:49:48 AM by Idun »