Register

Author Topic: Desmond & Dragons - A DnD Chronicle  (Read 24692 times)

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond & Dragons - A DnD Chronicle
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Zombies are total dicks.

QFT. (See also: Skeletons)
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2009, 04:18:29 AM »
Ryan, just a heads up.  I took a look at your feat and noticed that it requires training in Religion, which Feth does not have.  If you want to change your feat, or retrain one of your skills to Religion, I'm happy to oblige.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:30 AM »
December 2nd Session – The Day From Hell

The title is a misnomer since this day has been going on for like four sessions and had a lot of battles in it.

The first thing that happened in this very eventful day was deciding to wake up bright and early in order to sneak into the city. Alex spotted a convenient sneak-in point in a cave and we successful got in! Until we were attacked by zombies which were being run by a ritual in a graveyard. Unfortunately our party was like rawr fight instead of rawr mess with the ritual in the middle of the graveyard, and zombies spawned much faster than we could kill them. Eventually we figured the battle out and Rachelle went over to the ritual to prevent it! …and rolled a 1, so she activated the five turn alarm and started getting chomped on. Feth, who was almost dead, was revived by Desmond to help her. Marza spent most of the battle on his ass as usual.

So we managed to deactivate the zombie ritual and we snuck into the city via the sewers. Marza detected a strange power from the city and we followed it to the castle which the hobgobbys have invaded. We set their orchard on fire. We sneak into the castle and fortunately murder the guard before he moves or else he would have alerted his buddies. Then we MEET GRALLAX and Richard who both summon shit, presumably using the relic to assist. Grallax puts us to sleep and slows us and all kinds of crazy shit, but we get the relic stolen from the city by Richard, who is around but runs away. We also try to hightail it as well. We were pretty close to losing Alex – he fell behind due to being slowed and was sleeped. Desmond used his SAVING THROW GIVING POWER!  to make him less sweepy though. Marza was also slept (the sleep kicked in after Marza’s turn); he teleported backwards to the stairwell. He proceeded to fail his check and tumble down said stairwell and took seven damage or so. Tentacle Demons tried to rape Rachelle and failed. Party narrowly gets away from the evil druid.

After that, we run down the hallway and Feth is separated from us by falling pillars and such (the player is busy right now!). We find an illusionary wall and go into it to hide; we find some sweet stuff for Alexander (new weapon and armor) and run across some mysterious fountain full of shiny holy water of Pellor (Alex’s god).

Next, we find a path back into the sewers. Since we want to escape back from which we came, we try to send Marza’s kitty to try to find a better route. Bad idea, since the hobs figure us out and lead an attack against us. They hit hard. Oww. So once again we flee.

No time to rest, no time to rest! So we don’t gain our HP back from the last fight, not that we took a ton of damage. We then run into some enemies who meet us outside the cave. Desmond decides to charge forward, Divine Challenge the mage who is rather unhappy with having to use his abilities on Desmond or take 11 damage. This is a pattern you will notice in enemies. These guys are pretty easy compared to previous battles, and we clean up pretty fast after Desmond’s initial charge.

After that, we take our short rest. About time! But nothing could quite prepare us for what was to come…

Dun dun dun!

We try to sneak past a series of hobgob forts and all of us are weary. Desmond is tired from running in heavy armor and we get caught by a sentry who follows us and alerts people to our existence. We approach Fort #2 and a lot of hobgobs (17 I think; three archers and 14 regulars) and we decided to avoid them since they didn’t spot us too well. We went to the side to try to attack them; we were being closed in on from more than one side. It was pretty tense; we felt like we were surrounded on all sides and caught in a deathtrap. One fun moment was when Marza’s player asks the DM if he could try to summon demons with the relic or have the relic save us. The DM smiles evilly and says “Yes, yes, yes you can…. but if you roll a one…. MWAHAHAHA!!!” I thought that was pretty hilarious.

So we go to the side, and fight! 10 ROUND TIME LIMIT OR ENEMIES ADVANCE ON US.

We spot a mage so we all spread out, which ended up being a really foolish decision. The enemies all charge Marza and they down him in their first round of attacks to -14 HP. His death is -22, so this is a BAD THING. Desmond uses his one shot of Lay on Hands to revive the little bastard as well DIVINE CHALLENGING EVERYONE and attacking the mage, who will likely use nasties on us next round. Marza actually thought that reviving him was a bad idea and didn’t want us to do it; the DM told us that he would have basically died if we had listened to him, which is kind of interesting. We end up murdering the mage with a combination of invoker hax and Marza along with Desmond’s attack. Desmond also took a hit for barely alive Marza, and he ended up living at least one more round. Rachelle killed a lot of stuff with her MT as well as injuring peoples. 

Battle continues, Marza dies again, Desmond tries to defend him with Divine Challenges as much as possible, Rachelle heals him and flings her magic, and Marza pops up and flings magic again. I am imagining Marza prone on the ground firing spells. Alex doesn’t really get to do his thing too well this battle; didn’t really play to his strengths and he picked a really bad target for his Oath since there was a hobbie riding a wolf. Desmond abuses positioning to Challenge people (this is what Desmond is all about really.)

Marza ends up being downed three times and ends the battle with 2 HP and no healing surges left, but he is still alive to see another day. Somehow. We (finally!) get to rest after fighting three real battles and two pseudo-battles in a game day. (I still had my daily though, just in case Marza died again. >_>;;)

Next time, we will hopefully meet Feth again!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Yay for Richard having the Holy Relic that the town uses to protect itself. I'm... kinda not looking forward to explaining that one. Not sure if we're still in pretty shaky terms with the church or not.
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
It seems like we are on pretty good terms with the church actually -- we were sent to investigate things that were going on around said church. Now the real question is... is Elk's Bend even safe anymore? We've been gone for a few days and some bad shit has happened there lately.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »
True. We also know for a fact that the thing keeping the town safe is gone, and has had some bad mumbo jumbo done to it in the meanwhile. Luckily, I think the Druid is going to be at least a little more friendly with the church and Elk's Bend, and hopefully that'll add up to something.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
So we went over Alexander's character sheet with the player yesterday and we discovered a few things:

-Alexander has a once-an-ENCOUNTER ability to make allies reroll a hit roll on his oath.
-Radiant Vengeance, the at-will he seems to ignore, works beautifully with taking an opp attack from range; his censure of retribution adds four damage and he gains 5 HP back from any attack he takes.
-Alexander has Avenger's Resolve, which lets him for one turn resist 5 to all damage taken, which is an immediate interrupt. This would be great for racking up damage as well and let him take a few attacks of opp pretty safely.
-Avenger Level 5 Dailies suck balls. So much balls that the three of us together decided that getting a second Level 1 Daily was a better idea; we found one that does 3W + Wis with weapon bonuses and increases his damage and speed by 2 and his Athletics by 5 (useful for scaling things for sure).
-Avengers are cooler than I thought.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2009, 05:00:33 PM »
So, you're thwacking him upside the head?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
He is pretty confused with all the number bookkeeping that DnD provides and I think he's a little overwhelmed by all his options. But yes, we thwack him.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:13 PM »
Think of it as disciplining love.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:33 PM »
One thing that is interesting is that.. basically, every time you get hit by someone who isn't your Oath of Enmity in the round, he gets +4 to his damage. I always thought it was a melee-only effect when it's not. .-.

DESMOND has a new ability though which gives all allies +1 all defense within three panels on all sides of Desmond and it hits all enemies in the three square radius for 2d6 + 5?6? damage. Pretty sweet, and it finally gives Desmond some MT stuff.

Also I am retraining an at-will which lets me challenge TWO PEOPLE A ROUND!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
So, Alexander and Desmond will now destroy worlds with the mighty powers of character quests. I approve.

(Granted, the CQ happened in real life rather than in the game, but.)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »
Yesss. We rule!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2009, 09:45:12 PM »
Just for clarification: the divine challenge thingy, mechanically speaking, is like a taunt that forces enemies you targetted to go for your throat instead of aiming at other people, right?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
More or less. Basically I can mark one person a round that I am either attacking or I end my turn next to. That person takes 11 points of damage if they attack anyone but me. Considering that a) a large part of defense in DnD isn't HP but the ability to dodge, which they can't do with this and b) 11 HP is about 1/4-1/5 of enemy HP, it makes enemies cry immensely.

One of the at-wills that I am getting is called Ardent Strike. For one round only, it marks someone I attacked. It basically gives me the flexibility to attack one person and have them marked for a round and to mark a second person who is merely adjacent to me.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »
Man, that's some neat reverse-engineered tanking synergy.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2009, 03:45:55 AM »
Upon closer inspection, Marza has decided to multi-class into Bard. Not only does it give him Ritual Casting for free, but it gives him access to Bard stuff (just in case), and once per day, he can cast a Bard ritual of his level or lower for free. Though I'll need to check with the DM about some of it, it's looking like a good thing to retrain into.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »
Thursday Dec. 17th update. (Though I think there's a few days worth of updates in there, somewhere.)

After we left off, the group retreats to the fort they had been going to for a good while now, and are left alone as killing all of the wolves makes us hard to track. We rest up, and begin our march back to Elk's Bend in safety. We decide to go in more of a straight line than the bee-line we had done to get to the Hob-city in the first place. This just so happens to take us by a couple of villages. The first one we go to has people that are very on edge and telling us of rumours of people blinking out of existence, getting attacked, etc. (We also passed by some farms that had been attacked by Hobgoblins, but they left after a bit of struggling because they had been called back to home base for something. Hmm. I wonder what.) They then tell us that a whole bunch of places, especially farms, have been abandoned lately, and that they haven't heard from the messenger they sent to Luttin in far too long. So, being the brave adventurers we are, we offer to make sure that things are A-OK over there.

When we arrive, Alexander notices that something seems rather mechanical about the villagers, Rachelle notices that they're all moving in a pattern, Desmond notices that nobody here is actually from the village, and to top it all off, there were people working on the farms. While we're closer to Elk's Bend than the other town, this still sets off more warning bells than the party did when they left Hob-city. Desmond addresses a nearby farmer, and after about a minute, gets a very... mechanical response. (surprise surprise) We (mostly Alex, Desmond, and Rachelle) go through the motions of the conversation, Marza fingering his daggers very closely, ready to start blasting, and we end it having learned absolutely nothing, and being enticed to stay the night. Multiple times we were enticed. (And good beer was even offered for the Desmonds!) The party moved on, heading to Elk's Bend, not wanting to waste any more time.

When the party arrives at Elk's Bend, they head straight to the church to relax (all save Marza's kitty, whom he puts on a search around town for any sources of magic), and find themselves making a report of everything that has happened to Gregory. They even offer him the Holy Relic to inspect for himself, which he then promptly gives back, giving them a special ritual to perform their newest mission. To contact St. Cuthbert's 1000 year old dead buddy and have him fix up the Holy Relic. As the meeting finishes, Marza's kitty comes in with a frozen squid thing attached to it, which Marza detaches and puts into the bag of holding for SCIENCE!... which empties the bag and the contents fall on Marza's head 5 minutes later, minus the squid-thing. It is recommended he not do that again. On the bright side, the cat found a magic item shop. Go it.

The party goes shopping, finding many shiny things, but only having the money to buy themselves some cloaks (of resistance), and boots (of acrobatics). Sadly, Gregory bought all of the ritual scrolls, so none of those. Marza also buys himself a ritual book with most of his personal cash. They go back to the church to rest up and wait for Feth. Luckily, the next day, he shows up, and spends a couple hours shopping, while everyone else packs their stuff and gets ready to head off. Oh, and everyone has leveled, too, so yay for extra dailies!

On the way to the Alefin Downs, Desmond strikes up a conversation with the party about parents. Alex is a Deva, so... no parents to speak of, except possibly Pelor, but ehh. Desmond is, of course, a freak of nature with an elven daddy and a dead human mother, and his elven daddy abandoned him to a monastery of Erathis. Marza was exiled from his town of Eladrin Wizards because he is, evidently, not a wizard, and is not allowed back to his Feywild hometown until he becomes a great wizard able to bend the very fabric of space and time at his every whim. Feth is... not so open about his family, and Rachelle is, of course, aggressively boring, in that she has two very much alive human parents that wanted her to become a great Invoker someday, blah blah blah.

As they get closer to the Downs, they meet up with some of those people that have randomly blinked out of existence. They're like the Luttin people, only different. We speak with them for a while, being told by the crazy leader (whom Desmond owes a few silver) that we can't pass, and not giving any reasons or anything. We just can't. He also freaks out when the outsiders and their dimension are mentioned, and is inconsistent with his escape story. Nobody else from his party of 5 (including him) speak. Marza spends the time with his daggers out, desperately clinging to the hope that, hey, maybe these guys WON'T attack us. Desmond says "We're gonna keep going," they transform, Marza throws some chaos their way, and the fight begins.

This is a very odd fight. First off, the silent dudes grow claws and the like, and the guy who spoke is actually a Large four-legged creature that is made of the various remains of more people than can be counted. Next, as soon as Marza gets a turn, he walks up next to Rachelle, snaps his fingers, and they both have Resist 5 Psychic. Guess what the mooks did? If they hit, they do an automatic 5 Psychic damage. (If you were bloodied, it was 7, which meant they could break the defense!... if the two near-invincible tanks ever got bloodied. >_>; ) Oh yeah. So. We begin by doing that, and taking out as many of the mooks as we can. Marza hit one in the surprise round, and he was still around, so we figured there were some sort of revival shenanigans. Also, somebody targets the big baddy with psychic damage. Guess who completely and utterly immunes psychic damage (It's just a really high resist, but holy crap). So, after the first round, we have Desmond, Feth, and Alexander all running into Melee to start blasting at things, we figured out that it takes a Move action for the mooks to get up, Marza and Rachelle have their Mook Protection up, Feth is in Beast Form, Alexander has the Big Bad oathed, and Marza has activated his dagger of "You have no resistances against me. Suck it." The Big Bad also hits Desmond and Rachelle with Stun, and throws out some Slow + Damage. Everything he has but his swoop attack is MT, and to a large degree, too. The battle continues, with Desmond and Alexander eventually getting to the brink of death around the time we bloody the Big Bad. Which is around 150 damage in, so not bad. Our damage output then begins slowing down, and Feth and Desmond bring out a couple of their own dailies to play around with as we get to the last few rounds of the fight. (Mostly so we can focus on just damaging the damn guy, though Marza's natural rolls of 16, 16, 16, 16, 12 in one round, and his multiple max damage rolls against the Big Bad was kinda a good foretelling of how the battle went) The guy eventually falls, and we then get to the job of "Hey, these guys lost their ability to revive!"

Afterwards, we pick up a bracelet of WHAT THE SHIT, THIS SHOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE, AND SHOULD NOT EXIST, and put it into the Bag of Holding for further inspection. (But not until after warding the bag appropriately) The party then heads off, and talks to the dead guy, and is told to meet him in the Shadowfell. They say "sure" and begin thinking of possible places to get said ritual. They agree that Kingston is a good place to check, or at least the church of Erathis in Elk's Bend, because Gregory has a load of rituals now. They then pitch camp, and rest. End of session.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
* Magetastic performs a Desmond call~
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
Aw man! I have an XF post to write up too! I shall work on this today!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »
And then, we never saw Reneeman again.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »
Many eons ago was when the last update occurred. In the meantime DESMOND has found many ladies and OWNED many evil doers!!

…maybe not…

As a solar eclipse appears, Feth disappears. All the followers of the Raven Queen go a little batty during those; Alexander the Deva of the sun god is not pleased.

As we approached the city of Kingston, a vast tower appeared in the distance. Marza uses DETECT MAGIC and DETECTS MAGIC. He is immediately distracted and wanders off. We try to visit with the crazy Raven Queen folks who hang out here, but since the solar eclipse they’ve been a little … looney. Uh, anyway, we decide that the Erathian temple is a better idea. Alexander declares that we have saved Elk’s Bend from danger (which is wrong, Alex got confused) so we get an audience with the governor. Pretty good trick, but we have to dig ourselves out of that particular hole. Desmond works his charm, though, and saves the day again! She tells us that we should go to the wizard, which is where Marza already is…

Marza wanders around the wizard’s tower in an attempt to find the entrance, but to no avail. In fact, the wizard goes out of his way to mock Sorcerers; he has instructions including “hop on one foot while rubbing your stomach and patting your head” while declaring you are the banana king. Once this is done, the wizard mocks you for being a fool and trying to get in that way. ONLY WIZARDS CAN ENTER THROUGH THE WIZARD DOOR!

So Marza comes back, dejected, to the inn. He gets a drink at the rather seedy place and is immediately knocked on his pansy ass. Sigh. Incompetent fool. Anyway, the three of us venture to go investigate the wizard’s tower.

We find the adventure’s entrance pretty easily and explore inside the magically-made tunnels. We eventually get to a portion which is like a platformer; the blocks appear and disappear. We are a little weirded out by this so we decide to turn back; we hypothesize on the nature of the pit. Alexander thinks it’s a test of our bravery; Desmond thinks anyone to jump in it would be a fool. Rachelle simply recognizes a pattern.

We go back and fetch Marza and take him with us. We head back into the adventure’s entrance and find another type of patterned platformer. Marza decides to throw his kitty down the well (rather cruelly), Rachelle TRIED to find the new pattern and failed miserably. The kitty was nowhere to be seen. Alexander declares that….. DUN DUN DUN! THIS IS A TEST OF OUR BRAVERY!!! So he jumped down the well. Hilarity ensued. The DM handed him PHP1/2 to create a new character. Everyone but Alex’s player is giggling hysterically; he is horrified at the prospect of creating a new character. The DM rubbed it in pretty hard, he kept telling him that he needed to look for new abilities~

So the three of us sane people *cough cough* get to the next stage of the tower. There is a puzzle map made out of some old board game called Labyrinth which we played on. Doppleganger Alexander appears as well as the kitty to assist us in the fight; we devise a swift plan of action to get to the end of the road. Things go pretty well; we get statused a bit but nothing major. And then… we meet the wizard.

The wizard pops Alexander and kitty back into existence. Alex’s player is very relieved. The DM smiles evilly as he tends to do, and Alexander starts yelling at the wizard, calling him a wretched old troll who does nothing to help others and just sits in his tower. The wizard just smiles and sends Alexander back into un-existence because it’s funny. We ask the wizard for help getting to the Shadowfell; he says he will send us if we find some precious shadow silk for him. We agree, Alexander curses the wizard. Rachelle takes the side of the wizard; she believes he is an agent of civilization. Marza just wants to steal his shit.

After being transported to the Shadowfell, Alexander and Rachelle continue their philosophical discussion on the role of a person in society to help others as opposed to primarily benefitting themselves. Alexander vows vengeance on the wizard for his folly and non-good-heartedness; the neutrally-aligned Rachelle just shakes her head and smirks.

More next time! There’s a whole ‘nother session left!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2010, 11:19:11 AM »
Marza through a kitty down a bottomless pit? Remind me to defenestrate Mage the next time I see him.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
Well, it was a magical kitty, so he was testing to see if he could get it to reappear on his hilt.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »
It was a magical cat that had a pretty awesome ability to reduce falling damage. I wasn't around when they found out it was bottomless. Therefore, sending my magical kitty down the possibly not!bottomless pit made perfect sense. (That way, I could always pop it back into existence and find out what it saw) Besides. It can't actually die. >_>
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...