Register

Author Topic: Season 55, Week 2  (Read 5791 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Season 55, Week 2
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
Godlike:

Nate Nanjo (Pers) vs Lugia (PKMN)
Kurando Inugami (SH2) vs Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT)
Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs)
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8)

Heavy:

Barubary (BoF2) vs Lyon (S5)
Princess Toadstool (SMRPG) vs Joshua (FE8)
Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK)
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN)

Middle:

Nanaki (FF7) Vs Sharmista (S5)
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3)
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA)
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7)

Light:

Soren (FE9) vs Cinnamon (MMXCM)
Steena (CC) vs Irvine Kinneas (FF8)
Rebecca Streisand (WA5) vs Relm Arrowny (FF6)
Colette Brunell (ToS) vs Dominia (XG)
...into the nightfall.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Season 55, Week 2
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »
Godlike:

Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs)- Gut. Brahms is faster, Dhouly doesn't OHKO. 25% chance of smash+50% of smash=Brahms activates his PWS of doom.
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8)- Will need to math this out when my comp isn't slow from downloads. Lesca 3HKOs...when she can access Absorb. Empyrea may just eat through Lesca HP way to quickly. Gutting Empyrea for now. Lesca doesn't like not starting with the damage here.

Heavy:

Princess Toadstool (SMRPG) vs Joshua (FE8)- Unless the sleep->heal->ignore evade thanks to having her enemy asleep can buy Toadstool a win before Joshua kills her with a crit.
Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK)- Yosuke versus durability

Middle:

Nanaki (FF7) Vs Sharmista (S5)- Number crunch later, likely Nanaki though.
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3)- Dekar 2HKOs, Landis probably kills on his 4th turn and neutralizes Dekar's 2nd attack, but its not enough.
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA)- Massimo is the obvious choice, but about how long did Tear's Invincibility move last?
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7)- Oh god, SL hype and crit hype?! Don't know here.

Light:

Soren (FE9) vs Cinnamon (MMXCM)- This really depends on whether I see Cinnamon halving Wind in hyper mode. Think the match is pretty clean one way of the other. She does, then she 2HKOs and doesn't worry about the counter. She doesn't, and Soren is unloading a counter, a normal attack, and an Astra attack, overwhelming her.
Rebecca Streisand (WA5) vs Relm Arrowny (FF6)- Randomly gut checked this one, but won't be surprised at all if the effective numbers show it to be different. Not too different, but Rebecca has more speed.
Colette Brunell (ToS) vs Dominia (XG)- OHKOs.
...into the nightfall.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »
Godlike:

Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs): He's really good at chipping, so he never has to give Brahms a turn below 50%

Heavy:

Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN): That ID is not turn 1 against legendary stats. So... dragon dance first turn. If Cristo tries to ID, Ray kills with hyper beam next turn. If Cristo uses upper, Ray dragon dances next turn, shrugs off an ID attempt, then doubles and kills with 2x Outrage.

Middle:

Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3): Gutting that freeze/permafreeze is really mean against someone that slow.
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA): Full AP berzerk charge does it.
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7): Elaine has 1 SL charge, a terrible crit rate, and crits might not even do much because they're just extra damage before defense, not even true ITD, and so "overkill" defense blunts or outright stops them.

Light:

Colette Brunell (ToS) vs Dominia (XG)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA)- Massimo is the obvious choice, but about how long did Tear's Invincibility move last?

Less than the cast time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs) - Faster, 2HKOs and avoids the OHKO because Dhoulmagus' magical backup damage is pretty trashy. Honestly, I doubt even VP2 Brahms loses due to the parasitic healing (which quite possibly lets him avoid being 2HKOed).
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8) - Absorb 2HKOs Empy HP.

Barubary (BoF2) vs Lyon (S5) - Is faster, 2HKOs, isn't even 2HKOed (if only due to Lightning resistance). Barubary is worthless.
Princess Toadstool (SMRPG) vs Joshua (FE8) - I don't even see Sleepy Time as ITE. This just tosses Toadstool's chances into the crapper.
Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK) - Yosuke can't 3HKO Tony unless he wants to be 2HKOed through Endure - and that's being generous. That's game.
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN) - See Monkey, really. ID being turn two just gets Cristo in a bind, and Quaza goes first to begin with. Surround could be a point, but a 3-2 is quite possible under the circumstances and after a single Dragon Dance, Rayquaza is heal-locking Cristo with fury.

Nanaki (FF7) vs Sharmista (S5) - I think poke+L1 may very well be capable of getting Sharmista killed. This is sad.
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3) - I'd agree with Dhyer that killing in the fourth turn wouldn't be enough to get that win... but Dekar gets 3-2'd.
Massimo (MMXCM) vs Tear Grants (TotA) - Freaks Tear out.
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7) - No tinking hype from me, which means Elaine just SLs and two-rounds Nergal's scrubby ass. His defense is honestly overrated anyway.

Steena (CC) vs Irvine Kinneas (FF8) - Irvine fucking sucks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:56:45 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »
Godlike:

Nate Nanjo (Pers) vs Lugia (PKMN) - Nate.  Has a bigger penis, him being the number one man in Japan.  Excuse me, Number One.
Kurando Inugami (SH2) vs Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT) - Kurando.  Man, Orlandu hates having 0 defense!
Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs) - Dhoulmagus.  Brahms is a vampire, and Dhoulmagus is in a game with a night/day cycle.  Dhoulmagus just waits until it's sun, then BAM.  Stake through the heart and all that.
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8) - Yunalesca.  Have you SEEN her boobs?  They're bigger than your head!

Heavy:

Barubary (BoF2) vs Lyon (S5) - Barubary.  Makes better write-ups.
Princess Toadstool (SMRPG) vs Joshua (FE8) - Toadstool.  Seriously, you ever tried cutting them apart?  It just oozes all over you, and might even be poisonous!  Joshua comes from a desert country - I'm sure he knows not to do such things, especially since it's happened before during the events of Sacred Stones.  As such, Joshua simply tries to cook her, and of course, as we know, women > men when it comes to the kitchen thing.  Now, make a goddamned sammich!
Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK) - Tony.  While both are clumsy and sometimes bumbling, Tony at least gets the girl.  What does Yosuke get?  Lots of heartbreak :(
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN) - Rayquaza.  Dragon Quest games rarely involve dragons except at the very, very end, and Cristo really isn't the person that deals with them, hence, he's out of his league here.

Middle:

Nanaki (FF7) Vs Sharmista (S5) - Nanaki.  A talking dog-thing is pretty cool.  Sharmista...does anyone remember her?  Really?  Or him - it's hard to tell with Suikoden.
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3) - Dekar.  Hard to argue with an axe to the face.
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA) - Massimo.  Big fucking robot.  How is it supposed to be put to sleep?  If Tear had water magic, I could see it, but...
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7) - Nergal.  Elaine tinks against the mighty Nergal.

Light:

Soren (FE9) vs Cinnamon (MMXCM) - Soren's only resisted attack is fire tomes (duh, Cinnamon resists THUNDER, not LIGHTNING...kind of retarded to make a robot that resists sound, but whatever).  Therefore, no problems there.  With the might of Rexcalibre, the world is his!
Steena (CC) vs Irvine Kinneas (FF8) - Irvine.  Gun.
Rebecca Streisand (WA5) vs Relm Arrowny (FF6) - Relm.  Control.
Colette Brunell (ToS) vs Dominia (XG) - Colette.  See the write...wait, it got cut down so much :(  Oh well, Dominia sucks.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu crunches Red's physical vs. Sharmista HP, ignoring she's below average for defense by a non-negligible amount.

Dear god, Red physical x2 = borderline dead Sharmista off the HP alone. I undersold his Limited Moon offense (heck, it deals the same as the L1!). More importantly, though, this means that I'm not even sure there's a way Sharmista wins this unless stun hits turn one. That... um, yeah, it's fairly clear-cut. Sharmista sucks.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:48:21 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:15:33 PM »
Heavy:

Middle:

Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7)

Light:

"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
Godlike:

Nate Nanjo (Pers) vs Lugia (PKMN)- Lugia can't really damage Nate.
Kurando Inugami (SH2) vs Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT)-Mismatch.
Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs)- Dhouly's below average speed. Kersplat.
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8)- Boss. Yunalesca's durability isn't that impressive thanks to summons existing, but... eh. Yeah, boss.  Empy's just far better at slugging in a long fight than Killer.

Heavy:

Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK)- Strong kneejerk.
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN)- Don't know.

Middle:

Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3)-  Don't buy Landis 3-2ing. He's barely average speed and Dekar's not that slow.
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA)- I think?
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7)- Strongly leaning Elaine.  But we'll see.

Light:

Steena (CC) vs Irvine Kinneas (FF8)- What Snow said. If you have any shred of damage control or actual decent damage, you own Irvine.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 02:30:36 PM »
Godlike:

Nate Nanjo (Pers) vs Lugia (PKMN) - I ... think?

Heavy:

Yosuke Hanamura (P4) vs Tony Eisler (MK) - uh.
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN) - Gutcheck says ID won't land in time, stalling Rayquaza is an exercise in futility.

Middle:

Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3) - Nowhere near the freeze respect others have.
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7) - Fuggit.

Light:

Rebecca Streisand (WA5) vs Relm Arrowny (FF6) - Control hype. >_>

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
Godlike:

Kurando Inugami (SH2) vs Cidolfas Orlandu (FFT): Faster, puts pressure on immediately, Kurando is heal-locked back at best while a status lands.
Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VPs): VP2 Brahms only but... he actually may hold up pretty well here. Dhoumagus may not 2HKO him before draining, definitely doesn't after. So does Brahms 3HKO back? Eh... probably not. Though... not certain Dhoulmagus pulls off the 3HKO back? Probably does with High Speed Combo, but that's a limit... but probably one he gets by the last turn, which is enough to pull him over the top. So probably Dhoulmagus, and this match belongs in Heavy.
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8): Draining.

Heavy:

Barubary (BoF2) vs Lyon (S5): Faster 2HKO. G Dragon makes Baru's HP kinda emo.
Princess Toadstool (SMRPG) vs Joshua (FE8): Ignores Mute, Sleepy Time doesn't always hit, and those crits are coming eventually.
Cristo (DQ4) vs Rayquaza (PKMN): Ray's legendary stats are all in offence, not defence. 1.1x average MDef? That -may- make Beat turn 2, but offhand I don't think so. Not sure it matters, Cristo is tanky enough to survive DD + Hyper... maybe not 2x DD + Hyper, though? But I don't think Ray's quite fast enough for a 3-2 even with two Dragon Dances in there (the second barely touches Ray's speed). It's... there's enough judgement calls there that Ray could win, but I don't think so. Might also consider a vote change if someone tested DQ4DS's Whack.

Wait. Ray's best strategy here isn't to buff, it's just to spam Dragon Claw all day. That can't be stopped by Upper, and he doubles well before it runs out of ammo. So.. yeah Cristo really does need that turn 1 ID. One judgement call = switching to abstain for now.

Middle:

Nanaki (FF7) Vs Sharmista (S5): Sharmista is sure disappointing.
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3): Fairly close. Does come down to that 3-2, and a little numbercrunching says Landis just misses it: 104% speed vs. 73% speed isn't good enough.
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA): Gets off a fatal Berserk Charge turn 3 and has no chance of dying before then. Think I've underrated Massimo in the past.
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7): What the hell, people. Characters with average Strength (physical) deal 14 damage to Nergal. Without supports, or buffing. That's not even close to tinking. After scaling it's a OHKO or 2HKO depending on how you scale. Elaine is 3HKOing at worst (barely below average damage), and SL gives her 4 turns. Yeah.

Light:

Soren (FE9) vs Cinnamon (MMXCM): Cin is really good against magic (yes, I extend her "three basic elements" resistance to the three basic elements in FE, especially since Wind and Ice are the same in FE).
Steena (CC) vs Irvine Kinneas (FF8): CC has damage control.
Rebecca Streisand (WA5) vs Relm Arrowny (FF6): Ummm... I think.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 04:11:01 PM »
Will need to math this out when my comp isn't slow from downloads. Lesca 3HKOs...when she can access Absorb. Empyrea may just eat through Lesca HP way to quickly. Gutting Empyrea for now. Lesca doesn't like not starting with the damage here.

Yunalesca has Absorb available in all of her forms, at any HP.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »
Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3): Fairly close. Does come down to that 3-2, and a little numbercrunching says Landis just misses it: 104% speed vs. 73% speed isn't good enough.

Dekar's speed is actually above 70% average? I always figured it hovered somewhere in the realm of the high 60%.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »
Why isn't a 4-3 good enough?

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
I'm not sure I follow.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 04:38:58 PM »
... if you assume Dekar misses his second turn due to stun and it resets his CT, you're probably right, a 4-3 is enough because Dekar just doesn't OHKO - Landis attacks, Dekar attacks, Landis attacks, stuns, Dekar loses turn, Landis doubles and attacks twice, entering the turn three threshold for permafreeze and, on average, making Dekar at least lose another turn, and at worst, five Landis turns should be fatal to Dekar. Although I'm not so sure about that, since it enters more elaborate turn manipulation shenanigans and picks into a realm that S3 stun doesn't cover in and out of itself.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:41:33 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Empyrea (DQ8) - Let's see.  All - or at least all the major ones, and probably all of them - FFX bosses are immune to Demi, which is basically a psuedo-status.  Gravity doesn't exist in DQ8, but Empy is also immune to status.  And for what it's worth, as far as psuedo-statuses, Empyrea is (according to Dark Holy Elf's later post in the stat topic) completely 100% immune to stat-downs (much like Yunalesca herself is basically immune to all status - including Demi).  Conclusion: No, a gravity effect ain't working here.

Bardiche

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
Godlike:

Heavy:

Middle:

Dekar (Lufia 2) vs Landis (S3)
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA) - I think she can get off a Forcefield to block off his attacks, and heal plenty and harm him. But man, I'm starting to hate ARPGs in the DL because the way they shine in-game translates so poorly to turn-based settings.
Elaine (S3) vs Nergal (FE7) - Only one charge of SL? Well!

Light:

Colette Brunell (ToS) vs Dominia (XG) - Probably Colette? Gotta look at stat topics, Dominia somehow makes me go "Who again?"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA) - I think she can get off a Forcefield to block off his attacks, and heal plenty and harm him. But man, I'm starting to hate ARPGs in the DL because the way they shine in-game translates so poorly to turn-based settings.

Wait, there's a universe in where Force Field isn't impressively useless? That thing only caused me grief until I turned it off Tear's AI so she'd stop wasting the time and TP casting the thing. I wouldn't have known it gave invincibility by playing the game, given how utterly awful it was in-game.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »

Wait, there's a universe in where Force Field isn't impressively useless? That thing only caused me grief until I turned it off Tear's AI so she'd stop wasting the time and TP casting the thing. I wouldn't have known it gave invincibility by playing the game, given how utterly awful it was in-game.

That's probably because it costs of a lot of TP, and the AI usually used it against attacks that would only normally do double-digit damage. I think it's completely valid against anyone who has something that requires charging.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Problem is that Massimo doesn't, really. He gets the WE threshold to unload his damage whenever by turn two, and there's nothing forcing him to unload it while Tear puts up Force Field. And given how it runs out in less time than it takes for her to -cast it- to begin with, what stops him from just waiting until it's vulnerable? Where is she getting the leeway to actually make headway? It just lasts too little for it to be of any use against anything at all, it's basically a wasted action.

Bardiche

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
Tear doubles. Occasionally. She can restore TP by attacking then.

I'm tempted to just not vote on that match at all because of ARPG mechanics being kind of Urgh.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 07:49:22 PM »

I'm tempted to just not vote on that match at all because of ARPG mechanics being kind of Urgh.

No way she restores enough TP attacking OR doubles with that kind of casting time.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »

If she's charging her sluggish to slow as molasses spells, oh no she isn't. Massimo isn't even that slow, and I'd struggle to see even First Aid as above average speed (and that's Tear's fastest spell. TotA spell charge times are egregious failure).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:52:48 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
(Boring) Godlike:

Dhoulmagus (DQ8) vs Brahms (VP2)

Heavy:

Middle:

Massimo (MMXCM) Vs Tear Grants (TotA)

Light:

<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]