Author Topic: DLC 5 Main Topic  (Read 34099 times)

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
Re: DLC 5 Main Topic
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »
People play Darkstalkers aside from me/Sage/Snow/Andrew? And the nature of Dissidia makes it hard to run in a tournament unless -everyone- owns a copy of the game for themselves.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2009, 02:18:14 AM »
Eh, just find a few people with reasonably mastered copies and are willing to share.  Especially if you decide to make it so that you play without the vast array of accessories/equipment, which will just make it Skills and levels.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
The biggest problem with Dissidia to me is the Tallychus. (i.e. people who may have problems with a PSP game because their eyesight is poor)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:31 AM »
We could have someone pick up some composite cables and let those people play on a TV.  Not only would that let the aforementioned people play, but it would also give it a spectator aspect that it would lack relative to the other games.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2009, 02:40:22 AM »
Honestly, much as I love Dissidia?

Bad idea for a tournament like this.  The PSP nature means that you can't really WATCH the game, so the spectator aspect goes out the window (unless someone can set up a connection to the PS3?  I've heard that's possible, but don't know the specifics), which alone kind of defeats the purpose of a public tournament to me.  I would talk about the whole nature of BUilding Characters system the game has, which is akin to having Competitive DL Pokemon, but the existence of Arcade Mode does render that point moot, at least (Arcade Mode having preset character builds, levels, equips, etc.  Its the best way to go about playing the game competitively on a casual level, if you ask me.)

So yeah, as someone who really likes Dissidia...I'm personally against the game as a con tourney idea.  If we CAN hook the game up, and people actually are interested, then yeah, though I would still strongly suggest we keep the game to Arcade Mode, only so people who actually like the game a lot have an unfair advantage on those who don't, due to raising characters (and not everyone is going to be like Niu and max out EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER such that they'll all be raised...and even then, you still have set character skills, equips, etc. which takes time.  Again, Arcade Mode is ideal for this reason alone.)

Also, OK, while you may have a bunch of EVIL suggestions...bare in mind only one of them is likely getting in (also, make sure it follows the criteria, when I finally set that up!)

I'll create a topic for the Music Tourney sometime in the future; naturally, we have a lot of time and I don't need to bang out the specifics yet, this was mostly declaring my intent.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:41:53 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2009, 02:43:38 AM »
Oh man, if someone can set up a PS3 connection and turn Dissidia into a spectator sport, I know where I'd be all weekend.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »
Dissidia has nothing to do with hitting on Dhyer though.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2009, 03:07:52 AM »
Dhyer suggested the game, and is known to find Dissidia characters sexy.  I'd say it counts.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:14 AM »
Dissidia has nothing to do with hitting on Dhyer though.

That -does- present a problem...

I will have to try to find a way to juggle my strenuous Dissidia-watching and Dhyer-lusting schedule...

Dhyer suggested the game, and is known to find Dissidia characters sexy.  I'd say it counts.

...and CK comes through!

Wait... which Dissidia characters are sexy?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:33:46 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 05:20:43 AM »
So yeah, as someone who really likes Dissidia...I'm personally against the game as a con tourney idea.  If we CAN hook the game up, and people actually are interested, then yeah, though I would still strongly suggest we keep the game to Arcade Mode, only so people who actually like the game a lot have an unfair advantage on those who don't, due to raising characters (and not everyone is going to be like Niu and max out EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER such that they'll all be raised...and even then, you still have set character skills, equips, etc. which takes time.  Again, Arcade Mode is ideal for this reason alone.)

This is every fighting game! Although Dissidia has special reasons (Although...more intuitive for a new Dissidia player than an inexperienced Smash player).

I actually suggested the game...well, because it's an RPG fighting game. Seems like it's perfect for a DL fighting game tourney!
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »
'unfair advantage' is a bit of an understatement, y'see.  Equipment and levels are a big deal in Dissidia; any significant gap in equipment basically renders Brave moves useless as the character with weaker equipment fails to break defense, and any level gap more than about 5 gives you sick starting brave advantages.  Nevermind how important mastering abilities is for most of the characters (some to unlock chains, others because they need more abilities than they can afford unmastered to be effective)

It's... basically, we'd either have to strictly limit things to Arcade mode (which honestly doesn't sound like any fun; the appeal of dissidia IS setting your skillsets and tweaking your combos) or have two copies of the game which have maximum equipment and levels on every character (just agreeing to a preset level wouldn't work; you actually gain levels in versus modes) which is... crazy.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:56 AM »
Erm...  or just use the unequip command.  The game has an auto-level equalizer built in, so the only issue is abilities and if they've been mastered or not.  And that's a lot easier to do.  I mean, hell, I've definately had close matches with folks who weren't that experienced and had 90 something level differences because we took off the gear and hit the square button during the handicap phase.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2009, 06:16:33 AM »
Huh.  Didn't realize there was a level equalizer function.  Perils of having no one else to play with I suppose.

I suppose unequipped is an option, although for purposes of decent ability sets you'd still really want to go ahead and max out the cast as much as possible (STILL, this is a couple weeks work on AP Bonus days, not... ages upon ages getting Megalixers)

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:04 AM »
And it's still about eight months away.  So, not that unlikely that there'll be two or three copies that are sufficiently maxed out.  To say nothing of the possibility of seeing if there's save files that can just be downloaded and used.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty much where I meant to go there.  Building up characters' skills is something that can be done over time, once or twice a week, until done, whereas equipment adds so much grind-intensive work to it that it'd be unfair to expect multiple people to play that much Dissidia just for DLCon >.>

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »
Just download a completed save from GameFAQs... >.>;;

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:59 AM »
Just do it with Ergheiz instead.  If Shale/Xer bring modded PS2 I can bring the game.  Better fighter anyway.  It has Yoyos.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2009, 09:28:43 AM »
Ergheiz is better than only some things, Dissidia is very much not one of them. >_>

And I still don't think Dissidia would work out in an FG tourney like this.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »
FG Tourney or not, just as long as someone brings a PS3 hook-up so I can watch it on a screen that doesn't give me headaches.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2009, 07:31:42 PM »
Oh, I don't think random matches will be a problem at -all-. Just not in a tourney.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Just do it with Ergheiz instead.  If Shale/Xer bring modded PS2 I can bring the game.  Better fighter anyway.  It has Yoyos.

I have Ergheiz anyways.
...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
Ergheiz is better than only some things, Dissidia is very much not one of them. >_>

And I still don't think Dissidia would work out in an FG tourney like this.

does Castlevania Judgment fall under "Things Ergheiz is better than?"

If "yes", then I don't see what the excuse for us not playing it is

(No, I won't bring CV:J to DLC5.  For starters, we'd have to UNLOCK ALL THE CHARACTERS AGAIN.  and I don't think Tonfa, Nitori, and Djinn can stand anymore "Right on time! Welcome to the time rift!")

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
I don't think I nor Grefter would be able to handle any more un-ironic Castlevania Judgement playing. Seriously. What the fuck was wrong with you people?

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
Personally I think Djinn was trying to break Tonfa's brain so he could sweet-talk him into bed.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »
I don't think I nor Grefter would be able to handle any more un-ironic Castlevania Judgement playing. Seriously. What the fuck was wrong with you people?

I said "for starters", not "if nothing else"; the fact that the game is horrible is the main reason I'm not bringing it (hell, I might get rid of the game by then; I subjected the only friend who was mildly curious (on the trainwreck level) about it already, so I literally have no reason to keep it.)

My general point was that if Ergheiz > CV:J, then clearly are standards aren't too high such that playing a game like Ergheiz at DLC5 should be counted out!

...but I'm not saying we should; I've subjected myself to Youtube videos of the game and I can tell it is bad.  Furthermore, lacks CV:J's MST3k value of "...why is Golem the deepest character in the game?" and such.