Register

Author Topic: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009  (Read 20758 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:48:41 AM »
If you've been following DL discussing lately, you know that the next ranking season will be taking place towards the middle of January of next year.
You may also know that, despite current rankings only placing 2 games up for consideration, we really only have one game that's looking better than anemic at that time.

On the whole this is not a desirable situation.  Given the current lack of good ranking ideas, we're probably looking at a ranking freeze afterwards, but this also means that whatever game does end up in that second slot will be much more likely to be shoved through, though by no means is it guaranteed.
But I was thinking, wouldn't it be better if we put in a little effort and made sure we had an actual, viable idea we liked for slot #2?  The DL has long had a tradition of making sure games people want to play are spread around, but given the divergance of playstyles in later years, this hasn't done much to help ranking cases, and was always a disorganized, case by case affair.

Given all this, what I'm doing here is taking a handful of the games 'on the cusp', as it were, and finding out from you all which ones you would be willing to, ASAP, go out and play to help out the DL.

So, I'm asking you to make two lists.  One will simply be the games listed here you have already played, and whether you would be willing/able to help spread the game around.  The second will be, In order of your willingness to play the game, the ones you have not.  On this second list, please make note of whether you can play it or not (eg if it is a PSP game, do you have a PSP to play it on?).
Additionally, since this is for ranking hype, if you would be unwilling to rank a game regardless of playership, please add a DNR note after it.  Please use this cautiously; if, for example, you think FE10 is a terrible game you'd never want to play, that doesn't mean it's unrankable.  However, if you think Mana Khemia 2 is a ranking nightmare that causes your head to explode when you consider it in matches, that's a good place to toss a DNR tag.  (these are purposely terrible examples so as not to express my opinon on them!)

Preamble done.  And now, The Games!

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers)
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers)
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)
La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers)

Happy listing.  Since this is trying to be an interactive topic, if you have questions please voice them!  Preemptively, these numbers come from the games super has been tracking for these purposes; if you are curious about another game, we can probably get those numbers too, although don't expect much on 2009 releases at this point.  I probably could add more to this list, but it'd have to be a pretty compelling player base/willingness to play so don't expect it.

PS: please number your willingness to play lists.

Needs MK2- super, Meeple, djinn, Tonfa, CT, Sage, OK, Yoshi, Soppy, dude, Monkey, Snowfire, Gate (except not), Nitori, Magetastic, Lance

Needs XF- CT, Yoshi, Bard, Monkey, Andy, Snowfire, Snow, Lance
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:33:17 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:28 AM »
Played:
Xenosaga: Thus Spach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)- Enough to vote on the PCs
Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)- Partial, need to finish

Interested in playing:

1. DQ5- I'll pick this sometime.
2. MK2- Ditto.
3. SO1- See above.
4. XF- Pissed off about my file wiping.
5. KH- Maybe. It doesn't look bad, just never gotten around to it. Borderliner DNR bait though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:01:41 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:02:01 AM »

Played:
*Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)
*Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)

Not PLayed:

I intend on playing both sometime in the future, mind

*I've played the original version of these games only; doesn't matter a whole lot in DQ5's case, but makes a big difference in SO1's.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 04:08:17 AM »
Played:

Playing (Including this as a separate category as I own and have progress in all four games. List is in order of how far I am thus far.)

Willing To Play:

1: Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - Own a copy, but my brother has it - I could yank it from him to blitz through it. Effectively far shorter-term, thanks to being portable.
2: Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) (Also KH2) - I'm in the mood for something like this, sure. Worth a shot, though I'm not sure how rankable it is (should be at least decently so?)
3: Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - Portable trumps non-portable...
4: La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - and a tactical game beats out a game that I've not heard much good about.
5: Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - So, yeah.

Unlikely/Infeasible:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Once I get a Wii.
Xenosaga: Thus Spach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Once I go back through XS1 and play XS2. Blah.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 04:08:53 AM »
Played
Xenosaga 3
Wild Arms: XF
Radiata Stories
Suikoden Tactics
Mana Khemia 2 (Haven't beaten, but pretty fully confident in voting on PCs at least)
Soul Nomad (Like...6 seconds ago)
Star Ocean: First Departure

I can spread around everything but Mana Khemia 2 and Soul Nomad (Which I am still playing/Still want to play more of despite having just beat the main game) and Xenosaga 3 (Which...Snow has? Someone does at least, already)

I'd Play
Oh specific list order
1. Dragon Quest 5 (Because I already own it. It's not at that location interest wise, but it's here)
2. Pokemon DP
3. Kingdom Hearts
4. Phantom Brave
FE 10 doesn't get listed, as no Wii (and no real intention of buying one for a single game) means it's not viable for me to play it. I...would not play La Pucelle just for ranking, because I doubt the game just has that much that would interest me (game or ranking wise). As I mentioned, I'd take common Pokemon over Pokemon DP for ranking (Both for more variety, and for like 2.5x more playership or something), and as Super mentioned KH, is DNR bait (and PB might be worse?).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:19:20 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 04:12:08 AM »
Dhyer- since I'm going to weight the games in the style of List Topic, needs actual list.  Thanks.

Edit: For completeness.

Have Played

Everything but Mana Khemia 2.  I'm far enough along in that to be confident on the duellers and what they can do, but haven't finished yet so I'd be unable to loan it out at this time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:15:39 AM by Cmdr_King »

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
Fixed that CK.
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:21:26 AM »
Played:
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - More rankable than SO4, it seems. I'd support a full ranking here.
Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - I think it's a good idea if for no other reason than playership. Also, the stat topic is easy enough to understand that I don't have any problems with interpreting it. FW: Sora + some of the bosses would be best, I think.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - After doing the stat topic, this game has more to its duelers than I first suspected, but it's a pretty weak cast overall, except of course for the supposedly unrankable main. A small ranking would be okay... But FW: Revya would be better, if everyone could just agree that we're not taking squad-summoning into the equation.
La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - Kind of a bland cast. FW: Prier would be a better option.
Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Very small cast unless we're ranking generics... FW: Ash covers it better than a real ranking.
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Just another good FW game. FW: Jack, though the final boss is also kind of cool.

Partial:
1. Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)* - partial - Best idea here. Ranking it would be a good motivator to finish it.
3. Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)* - partial - This cast is ranked already. I already vote on it for some. Still, Kyril, Andarc, Seneca, and Corselia are decent in their own right as duelists. Rank Kyril's dad (fishman form) for frue awesome.

Haven't played:
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - owned + half the important cast is ranked anyway, and the other important half was intentionally not ranked because it was assumed this one would be eventually. Definitely my most favored of the games I haven't played.
4. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - Because I like the legendaries in this one. Also, Piplup.
5. Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - Would be higher if there were more games here, but Fire Emblem is ranking-bait and Pokemon is one I've been looking forward to. This is probably the best ranking idea of things I haven't played. Hard for me to play it for a long time though due to being out of the country.
6. Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - Because... SLIME! At least it's emulatable.
7. Xenosaga: Thus Spach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - What the hell, this cast is already ranked anyway. The only thing we get are some bosses and Allen? Let's just FW: Allen...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:14:41 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:00:41 AM »
Played:

The only of those I'm hesitant on ranking is Kingdom Hearts, if only because it's a borderliner of an RPG.

Unwilling to play the rest. I just have had no desire to pick up on video games these days, and I don't see myself playing any of these.

And, although it's not a game, I'm still very in favour of having Kletian reranked as a FW, and I will continue to try so 'til he does. ^^;
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:02:12 AM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »
Played (in order of ranking interest/feasibility).  * indicates I am willing to send a copy to people for playing.

*Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - Best shot of ranking and I like it.
*Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Weaker of the above.
*Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - Weaker of the above.  Would be higher if more people had played it already.
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - Rank Roserade and Staraptor!
*Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - A lot of the cast is ranked already so meh.
*La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - Apathy.
*Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Trainwreck.  Also needs a damn stat topic before being seriously considered.
*Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Bigger trainwreck.
*Xenosaga: Thus Spach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Most of the cast is ranked already so huge whatever.
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - Bleh.

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - DNR.  Yeah no.

Not Played
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - Got like halfway through the original anyway.  Would be willing to play it for ranking but like half of the above list should be ranked first.

Will Not Play For Ranking (basically DNR)
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Stay out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 05:08:52 AM by Talaysen »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 05:51:12 AM »
Played:

Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)

In progress:

Will probably play:

No interest:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) (lack of console)
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)

Get out:

<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »
So you know Tonfa, the way you've written that I'm going to end up reading it as 1. MK2 2. SuikoTactics 3. FE10 4. DQV 5. Gen 4 6. RS 7. XS3.  Ditto La Pucelle for Dhyer and FE10/XS3 for Tai, and so on.

In other words, if you have a list of games you don't intend to play, still put them in approximate order of having the least likely stuff on the bottom.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 06:07:47 AM »
Out of curiosity, is ToV even -close- to any of these? I think it's probably the most-played 360 game here, so I'd be curious to see where it ranks among the top stuff here, if only to see how viable 360 might be. If you think a different 360 game is most-played, go with that instead.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 06:12:30 AM »
I'm pretty sure you're right on the "ToV is most-played among the 360 crowd" thing, but I'm not sure if that says much of anything. Off the top of my head, it has... four writers, that counting you, Djinn. I'm not sure if I'd count Niu for those purposes there.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 06:13:05 AM »
I was surprised you hadn't asked about that in your first post!
I'll have to get the actual numbers tomorrow, but eyeballing the list I suspect 5-6/17, which is in the neighborhood of "worth looking at".  However, I intend, once I start counting, to eliminate games surpassing a certain Cannot Play/Do Not Rank threshhold, and unfortunately I fully expect ToV would immediately hit that (I'm thinking between 1/3rd and 1/2 of responders, depending on how many I get).

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 06:21:48 AM »
Played

Suikoden Tactics
Kingdom Hearts

Interested

Star Ocean/First Departure
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
Wild ARMs XF
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
Radiata Stories
Xenosaga III

Undecided

1) Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride
2) Phantom Brave
2) La Pucelle: Tactics

Cannot play
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

No interest
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:29:24 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 06:42:52 AM »
I've finally managed to play every game on that list! Which means I finally got off my ass and played XF.

I will just state some of my personal insights on potential rankability of each game, then.

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Uh... No. I've had issues with trying to interpret games with systems like this one. It's induced more headaches in me than not, considering the currently ranked games. This is definitely a DNR for me >_>

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - I don't like how Gen3 is holding up in the DL now, and I see some immediate potential and some nice things that come out from Gen4. Granted, this is a gut feeling and should be taken with a grain of salt, but given the smooth translation of Pokemon into the DL in general, I feel this shouldn't be made an imminent issue. Also, Rayquaza is suddenly better!!!

Xenosaga: Also sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Well, most of the cast here is already ranked, this was mentioned already earlier? I suppose some of the cast get improved a little and others are knocked down so it's a pretty meh thing. It doesn't deserve as high a priority as some other games here that have a better chance to be ranked.

Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - Now that I've finally played XF, I can really see why the people who have played this game like it a lot. I think this has a decent shot of getting in, actually. I think it helps matters that I actually like the cast, too!

Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Cast of huge. Also full of mediocrity and boring and possesses qualities not befitting of a ranked game. Yeah, I'm being blunt here, but that's how I see things.

Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - See Suikoden IV cast.

Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - \o/ Shame about the playership, though. Cast is quite solid, in my opinion, and could bring good results of ranked. However, as already touched upon, the playership isn't really the best in the world. You guys need to play MK2! It's a good game!

Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - The system is woah what when you're bothering to translate it into the DL. And actually I think someone tried to make a stat topic? I think it disappeared from the face of the earth or something. Still, I hope this isn't seriously being considered as a rank until more information and other things are consolidated, as much as I love this game.

Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - Having played both versions, I'd say it's standard-fare, easy accessibility, blah blah. There are better rank choices, though. And again, it's standard-fare and I think it's rather non-descript for a rank, so.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Solid cast, solid game, many Fire Emblem characters are already in, so I don't see why the characters from this game shouldn't get in either. The player base is kind of hmm-worthy though, and probably should be taken into consideration when deciding on ranks.

Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - In the DL? Uhh... O...kay. Worse than Phantom Brave in terms of translation, I think!

Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - Apathy.

La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - Standard fare SRPG, apathy.

tl;dr from most preferred to least preferred

1. Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)
2. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers)
3. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers)
4. Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
5. Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)
6. Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)
7. La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers)
8. Xenosaga: Also sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
9. Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)
10. Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
DNR. Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
DNR. Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
DNR. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:41 AM »
Played:

Kingdom Hearts
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Phantom Brave
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Halfway through the remake, completing that would not be a problem.)
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
Star Ocean/First Departure
La Pucelle: Tactics

Edit:

In order of how good of ranking ideas I think they are...uh...call it mostly even, all in all. Inclined to say DQ5 is a better idea than most due to accessability+generally being inoffensive to a wide variety of people. Pokemon Gen 4 is a safe bet eventually, to judge by other Pokemon games, but the fact that yeah, it's too early so far probably, well, that drags it down to the level of everything else.

I suppose it's along the lines of:

Dragon Quest 5
Pokemon Gen 4(Although I agree with the later topic stuff that a package of early Pokes might be better.)
Star Ocean 1
Soul Nomad
La Pucelle
Phantom Brave(LP and PB below SN...mooooostly because La Pucelle and PB are unlikely to get more than one person in tops and are kinda a waste of time. SN is more likely to get interest in general as a game than the other two, though, which does help alleviate some of it's issues as a rank.)
Kingdom Hearts(I could possibly be talked into this these days, mind, but someone would have to rank Sora/Donald/Goofy as KHs and show me there's decent evidence that KH2 got enough votes that KH1 didn't.)

Possible, in descending order:

Wild ARMs XF (Halfway through it, got bored but supposedly I'm at the part where it gets better, so.)
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Need to beat 1 first, but it's up there on priorities once I do. Will not play before beating 1. Period. So it's sorta in an odd spot.)

Not really any time soon, but not completely possible to rule out:

Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Kinda sad that it's this high...because it's large and I want to rip it to the HD, ship it to Jo'ou, and then blast through it and delete it so it doesn't take up 8GB on there for very long. <_< Of course I may decide not to do this...at which point it rock drops bottom. Strange case.)
Suikoden Tactics (Sounds okay. I think I still have my S4 save too. I hope so, although I can get one online now thinking on it. Not a high priority.)
Radiata Stories (meh. Not interested hugely with so many better games floating around.)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Don't have the proper console.)

As for spreading the games around/if I have access to them/etc, I tend to pirate stuff so I can't spread them around(even burned copies, as I use an HD). XS3 I'm planning on shipping to Jo'ou, want to try to dig up a few burned DVDs first though since I now have a burner, otherwise I don't have any copies of those to toss around.

I have access to all of those but Mana Khemia 2(Easily found enough, and, as I said, I wouldn't play that before 1 anyways. 1...I'll probably grab the PSP version some time soon enough.) and Radiant Dawn(Would have to borrow a Wii. I am adamantly opposed to borrowing someone else's Wii here and while I might be able to swipe my brother's for a bit, it's enough of a pain in the ass to make me not care. Also I want to play FE9 first...).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:53:23 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 06:53:58 AM »
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total): Played the original. Kinda have a spotty DL memory of the game though.

1. Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers): I actually have the game RIGHT HERE IN MY HAND but have not yet played it.
2. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers): I guess if I wanted to play a PKMN game again for the first time in years this would be the one.
3. Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total): I have a DS and have considered this game, but not interested unless other people want to push it.
4. Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers): I think I even have a midgame save where I left off. Can I just pretend disc 2 doesn't exist for this?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »
Played:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Honestly, I think this should already be ranked, so no surprise it tops my preferences for what to rank now.

Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - Good game, and definatly at the point where it should be in.  System doesn't seem to be a bar anymore.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - Given the level of interest, it may be too soon.  But if there is going to be a freeze, then too early is better by far than too late.

Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - I have no issues with this.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - Nor this.

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - But I do with this.  But then, I've never liked ARPGs in this format.

Not Played:

Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - This and WA5 top my to play list right now.
Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Currently playing this, which should say something.
La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - hmm...  yeah, probably.  This group is close though.
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - I've had access to this for ages without playing.
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - A DQ that isn't 8?  Yeah...
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Trainwreck value, I guess.
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Tried playing this once.  Got bored.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 07:29:22 AM »
Willingness to Play
1) Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
2) Remakes - Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total), Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)
0) Everything else - Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers), Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers), Xenosaga: Also, Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers), Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers), Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers), Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers), Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers), Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers), Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers), La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - Already played them, so no willingness to borrow/play them, although replays are possible

Game Thoughts
MK2 - Will probably come up at some point soon.  This is also the only game I haven't played on the list, so it's good to wait >_>  Sounds like a decent rank, interesting, lots of awesome bosses.  BOSS TOPIC, PEOPLE, COME ON.  
DQ5 - Probably another one with a good shot in the future.  Brings...fighters similar in quality to DQ4.  Not bad, really.  Need to play the remake for the new character, but eh, not a huge problem.  
SO1 - See above, but with 2 new characters.
KH - Really...I think it works fine.  Relatively small rank is probably what people are going to go with (for all that it could have a large rank!)...I think people aren't getting over the system - I don't think it's as annoyingly hard to view as people make it out to be.
Pokemon - Eh...I don't have a huge interest in Pokemon as characters at all...probably going to get it eventually, after DQ5 and SO1 most likely.  Another small one, too.
XS3 - Really needs to get in...comes along after DQ5 and SO1 to me.  Neat fighters, important bosses...lots of good stuff I'd love to see.  It has interesting fights!  I really think all the anti-hype is a bit overdone and needs to be cut >_>
XF - After DQ5 and SO1.  Strong overall cast and the like, I think, and people are interested!  It's good!
RS - Eh.  See KH, except probably people would be more for it.
ST - RANK.  WE NEED MORE GRAHAM CRAY.  Ahem...it's kind of far behind.
PB - ...probably not happening.
FE10 - ...this will be a while.
SN - Better than PB, worse than LPT.  I prefer this to either of them, though >_>  Relatively interesting cast for a strategy RPG that's Disgaea-like.
LPT - More interesting than D1 in general.  Good cast, and probably would be ready pretty quickly.

Rank Order List of Priority
...wow.  I see a lot tied here.  Let's do tiers:

1) Good chance of getting in at some point in the future!
- DQ5, SO1, XF, XS3, MK2

2) Possibility!
- KH, LPT, FE10, ST, SN

3) Eh.........
- PB, RS
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 11:05:50 AM »
Firstly, needs more SMTN. I think that's almost on par with RD at the moment for playability/writers, and makes a lot of sense as a ranking. That said, I know that it does need more writers, although it shouldn't be too hard to get hold of and play now, methinks?

Played:
 - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Perfect rank, methinks. Loads of potential ranks, a huge amount of variety and even some decent bosses! (Yes, I'm looking at you, Dheginsea.) A++, would rank again, etc.
 - Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - Another good ranking idea! While I'd also like to see some non-starter/legendaries ranked solely for being interesting ranks (Blissey, Machamp, Heracross...), I think having the uniques alone would make it a decent enough rank.
 - Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Blah. Possibly one of the worst ranking ideas around. Difficult to interp, extremely low cast and minimal originality in the potential ranks. Fine to rank, methinks, but low priority.

Need to play:
1. Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
2. Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)
3. Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)
4. Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)
5. Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
6. Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
7. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
8. La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers)
9. Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
10. Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)

All of the ones I've played, I'd obviously prefer to see ranked than those I haven't yet. No PSP (yet!), so can't actually play XF/SO1. Most likely to be able to get hold of DQV, as much as I'd prefer to play MK2/ST.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »
Also, as a comment, I'd like to point out that SMT3, XS3 and KH(and possibly Radiata/non-Soul Nomad NI games, although I wouldn't 100% swear to it) are going to have some interesting problems. As, they'll ram into some subsets of the DL that have either heard descriptions of the game and aren't going to have it appeal to them at all, or who have played other games of the series and are biased against them.

For KH, I have no idea how much of an issue this may be-it may not be one at all, honestly. KH conceptual dislike is, I think, more of an external thing. But I dunno.

SMT3 and XS3 have real problems in this direction, though. Any ranking push is, at best, going to be questionable to pull off at all, based on reputation internally. It's just how it worked out. In SMT3's case it's not even that the game's bad, so much as it tends to compare unfavorably to other games that people....didn't necessarily like either and that don't appeal to everyone by their nature. In XS3's case....well, by now, that should be well known enough...
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Bardiche

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:57 PM »
Played:
Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Uh... this'd be annoying to interp.
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - I guess this would be annoying as well, since everyone's an AI and... stuff.
Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - I don't like this game, but out of the first three would make good ranking I'd guess!
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - RANK. I'd hype it. Definitely.
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Uh, no. Squads and stuff are too annoying and I'm not sure it's easy to find a balance with in-game performance.
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - I guess I'm OK with this.

Need to play, listed from "would want to" to "DO NOT WANT":
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 12:03:46 PM by Bardiche »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 12:03:39 PM »
For KH, I have no idea how much of an issue this may be-it may not be one at all, honestly. KH conceptual dislike is, I think, more of an external thing. But I dunno.

SMT3 and XS3 have real problems in this direction, though. Any ranking push is, at best, going to be questionable to pull off at all, based on reputation internally. It's just how it worked out. In SMT3's case it's not even that the game's bad, so much as it tends to compare unfavorably to other games that people....didn't necessarily like either and that don't appeal to everyone by their nature. In XS3's case....well, by now, that should be well known enough...

XS3, I can understand from what I've heard. For KH, I think it's just the ARPG thing, right? And for SMT, I figured it was just NEB. ;p