Author Topic: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009  (Read 21257 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: DL Playership/Ranking Drive 2009
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 01:17:13 PM »
Played:
Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)
Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers)
La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers)

Want to play:
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers)
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)

Do not want:
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers)
Xenosaga: Thus Spach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:19:18 PM by Hunter Sopko »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »
ToV is in the 6/17 range for writers. The group needs more 360 owners for it to have a prayer, as most every 360 owner has played this game.

SMT:N is in the same range. I don't remember that game looking anything but poor in NR, so good luck there.

as Super mentioned KH, is DNR bait (and PB might be worse?).

PB just needs a stat topic more than anything else. Rankability... Walnut and Ash are rankable. Sulphur is too strong, every other boss is incredibly minor and not worth bothering with, Marona's massive, massive DNR bait.

Quick rundown of what we'd rank.

KH- Probably three characters. I wouldn't mind ranking the Disney temps though. Bosses are meh, depends entirely on drawing/interest there.
Pokemon DS- Starters/legendaries? I pretty much agree with Dhyer on this one.
XS3- Die. (Allen)
XF- PC's, a couple of bosses. Probably just PC's plus a token boss at first.
RS- Jack FW? I can't see anyone else getting in. Clive/Ridley and a few other major characters are possible. RS is just not a friendly DL game with recruiting and splitpathness. 
ST- Kyril, Andarc, Secena.  Probably the final as well, the evil merchant.
PB- Walnut/Ash. Could just be an Ash FW.
SN- PC's.  I love this game but blah to it in the DL. Main's a headache too.
LPT- Prier FW at first.

---

KH is the one I am most likely to support next time. Allen FW hype can burn in hell along with that game's pathetic drawing, most options are meh.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:54:05 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 03:13:26 PM »
And for SMT, I figured it was just NEB. ;p

And Meeple.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 04:09:13 PM »
Only one of those I don't own is XS3, which I am willing to play if I can force my way through XS2's gameplay first.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »
Played
Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)

Partially played
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total)

Not Played
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers)

Thoughts: It's kind of hard to pick out what's the best ranking idea out of all of these. I guess a big part of that is becuase a lot of the choices are older games that got passed over during other ranking periods. If I had a choice I would probably want to rank one of the DS or PSP games just so we can rank a new system. WA XF is probably the most interesting and well liked rank out of these, but out of the two systems I think a DS rank would be better in the long run because the DS seems to be the stronger RPG system overall especially with DQ9 and DQ6 coming out sometime next year. I'd probably support Pokemon D/P (starters, legendaries, Roserade, Staraptor and maybe Lucario) for the next ranking period along with Persona 4 bosses. WA XF and DQ5 would be my picks for the ranking period after that unless some other game becomes a really strong rank in that time period.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
Played:

Want to play:
1) Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)
2) Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers)
3) Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers)

Skipping because it's on a bad system:

Skipping because it sucks/I don't care about it:

Games in category 3 would get played if the Wii picks up better singleplayer titles (worthless 3rd person platformer/action games from over the hill franchises don't count), or if the DS's stream of good games slows down.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »
Capable of Writing For (have either finished or played enough to get a gist)

Currently not up for picking up on any of the other titles, as my plate is full enough as is. I will put out there that I'm a firm believer that, with a little hinting, I can write for any game (and have done it) anyway, though. >_>

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
Played (ordered in best idea to worst idea):

Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers)- Partial at least.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers)- Okay, I haven't actually played it, but I have watched a lot of it and I plan to play it soon on Ulrika's path, which is the one I haven't seen. So basically I can vote on Raze's crew but not Ulrika's.

Will probably not play:

Will not play:
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 09:22:19 PM »
Have played, in order of ranking viability

1. Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers): WA5 generally failed as a ranking idea which makes me a bit wearier about this one. The game is awesome and has some neat duellers, though, and is much more interesting than WA5, so I could see it being a clear success with a few more players.

2. Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers): MK1 was generally a modest success, and MK2 is for the right system. Still needs some time, but at the very least seems like a solid idea for the future.

3. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers): Next gen systems have problems and FE9 didn't really knock any socks off for voting numbers. Still, FE10 would round out some issues with the FE9 ranking. My concern with it is that the FE non-fans just... aren't going to want to play this one; it's for a system that many non-FE RPG fans won't own, it's a sequel to FE9, and it's hard. Nailah being ranked would make me happy, though~

*drop*

4. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers): I'm really not interested in ranking Fire/Water/Grass starter mark 4 and some legendaries I didn't use. Staraptor is awesome of course, but eh. Not violently opposed to this idea but I really have to second Dhyer: ranking some notables from RBY seems a much better idea, more interest and way more playership. Rank Alakazam.

*drop*

5. Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers): I'd be okay with FW Allen though I don't think even he can really draw. Everything else, fuck no. Bunch of widely disliked bosses from a game with lots of twinking, combined with 40-something% vote draw, THAT will end well.

Haven't played, in order of interest to play

(games I expect to play before I die)

1. Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers): Well I have access to it, and I like Suikoden. It's kinda weird I haven't played it yet. If it got serious ranking hype that might push it up my list.

2. Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers): Been curious in KH for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I don't like ARPGs much in general but KH seems to avoid the traps those often fall into, and I have a reasonable level of respect for Square when they aren't fucking things up Crystal Chronicles-style. Good chance I won't support ranking it anyway though.

(games I could end up playing, but don't really intend to)

3. Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers): From here on we're into games that I don't really expect I'll ever play. Out of what's left, Soul Nomad sounds the most intriguing, even if N1 + OB sounds like a recipe for extreme failure on paper. Sounds like it has problems as a ranking idea, too.

4. Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total): DQ is okay filler. I'm sure I'll enjoy this well enough but I don't particularly want to buy it and have no immediate access to it.

5. Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total): Same story as DQ4, but I like early Star Ocean less than I like Dragon Quest. I also dislike this as a ranking idea because it sounds like both versions of the game make for rather different duellers and neither version has the playership to support ranking alone. Bad combo.

(I'd be shocked if I played these ever)

6. La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers): Disgaea minus? Well, no geopanels means maybe not, but it sounds worse otherwise. For what it's worth, it's the best ranking idea out of the bottom three, though (and I would support it over most games on this list if push came to shove).

7. Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers): Something about Phantom Brave really turns me off and I've never been able to figure out what. Besides the obvious "N1 = avoid" factor. The confine/summon mechanic makes it a pretty bad ranking idea to boot.

8. Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers): Bad ARPG with only one controllable PC? BUT IT HAS LENNETH! That didn't stop the two VP sequels from sucking. As a bonus, this sounds like an atrocious ranking idea.

In order of ranking viability, thus, I think it's something like LPT > ST > DQ5 > SO1 > (do not rank below this line) > KH > PB > SN > RS

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »
Gate: do you mean to say you've played every game listed but XS3?  Already owning the games is great and all, but not the info I need most!

Dude: do you want your partial playthroughs to count as already played or would be willing to play?

Monkey: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the game's you CAN'T play outrank the games you don't WANT to play?

re: SMT: Nocturne.  Based on historical evidence, I'm honestly surprised it's clawed it's way up to that level of playership.  That said, even discounting that it would bottom out the willing to play lists of non-players by all likelihood (myself included), it's a terrible rank; there's nothing TO rank from it.  Main PC is bluelike, depends heavily on monster catching/breeding systems in essence, and the bosses that aren't space fleas are, uh, what, only two of them are guaranteed per playthrough?  (Dante and the standard final boss)  Not a strong rank, although certainly the space flea bosses are often memorable (ie Matadore may have no plot, but people remember the bullfighting skeleton that causes everyone resets).
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »
4. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers): I'm really not interested in ranking Fire/Water/Grass starter mark 4 and some legendaries I didn't use. Staraptor is awesome of course, but eh. Not violently opposed to this idea but I really have to second Dhyer: ranking some notables from RBY seems a much better idea, more interest and way more playership. Rank Alakazam.
I like this idea, but honestly aside from Alakazam there aren't that many pokemon who are in the first generation who are commonly used in the player's teams and make an appearance on an important opponent's team. The other possibilities that I immediately think of are Pidgeot, Gengar, and Arcanine, but Pidgeot's not that interesting, Gengar's only appears in Agatha's team and requires a trade to get (so does Alakazam, but he's a bit more memorable), and while Arcanine is on Blaine's team and has a possibility of being on Gary's team, he can only be acquired in one version without trading.

As for G/S and R/S/E, I can't think of any pokemon that are notable in G/S and the only one I can think of in R/S/E is Gardevoir and that one's a bit of a stretch.  D/P/Pt is really the only one that has multiple notable non-starters/legendaries as it has the trio of Roserade/Staraptor/Lucario who are all commonly used and appear on at least one important opponent's team.

Edit: Cmdr, put them on already played. The characters in those games are simple enough for me to be comfortable voting on them.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:50:12 PM by dude789 »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »
The Common Pokemon Package, as Dhyer has discussed in times past, is variable but always includes the pokemon that have appeared in every core game in the series.  This is Alakazam, Gengar, Golem, and Machamp.  As well, anything else that can get real traction would be viable, which would include Magikarp, Gyarados, Starmie, and maybe the eeveelutions.  A few others have DL history/wide noteriety (Golbat, Onix) but I at least would vote them down since they get superior evos in later gens and they aren't nearly as awesome as Magikarp in terms of "sucky earlier evo".  A few others (Rhydon, notably) aren't bad ideas but suffer from being very similar to pokes already in the package.

All THAT said, while I'm far from opposed to this idea, ranking FWs isn't the way to keep the DL moving forward and, more pragmatically, at current rates of playership I expect it to be a long time before multiple new releases are simultaneously ready for ranking, so having FW ideas in reserve are to my mind a good, even necessary, thing.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »
Eh.  Definitely have gamed much less this year than previous years, and I've been gaming less in general since I left college. Which was awhile ago.

Have played, order of rankability

0.5. [Final Fantasy XII] - Not on the list, but I've mentioned before that FW Larsa would work if the draw was there.  Suspect that the external on this isn't as bad as NR would make seem, as well.  The final boss, while interesting, probably has too many issues.  (The regular cast is blatantly DNR alas.)

1. [Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total)] - Technically haven't finished yet, but will soon.  Very rankable in my mind, though, perhaps avoiding splitpath characters.

2. Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - This is where I have my obligation to note that with all the the hate in the thread, I can non-sarcastically say that XS3 is a great game that those who haven't played it should try.  That said the DL has probably waited too long on this one anyway, and the bosses clearly have a massive respect split, so uh FW Allen hype.

3. La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - FW Prier is fun, no ranking trouble.  A bit bland system-wise but whatever.  (Eclair is probably the most interesting dueler I guess?)

3.5 [Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon]: Not listed, but FWIW might be more rankable than RD due to the DS being more widespread?  No idea.  Anyway this is clear FW bait anyway, Marth has good notoriety thanks to Smash Brothers and is an interesting dueler.  It's quite possible a normal rank would produce only 3 characters anyway, Marth / Caeda / Jagen.

4. [Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers)] - Didn't finish yet, but gave it a shot and got pretty far (6/8 badges).  Agree that more starters is meh.  Starraptor and Roserade sound fine, but more importantly: Rank Magikarp.

5. Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) FW Ash would be kinda cool, I don't think a stat topic would help much anyway due to the number of assumptions that need to be made - things like the fact that in-game, Ash is never confined into a stat-changeless object with 0% elemental resistances.  Definitely slightly trainwrecky in interps.  Walnut is even worse, your characters have penalties hitting them off the...  whatever the term was for long-distance stat modifications from an object, which makes Walnut much better, unless you figure out to confine shmucks and have them toss their weapons and then get your A-Team from them.  The difference between a low Middle and a Heavy there, so meh.

Would maybe play sometime
Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - Own it, suspect I would like it but haven't played it.  Alas, only FW Jack sounds rankable.
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - Have wanted to play it for some time, but no Wii.  Will be first game I get for Wii when this changes.

Very very unlikely
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - I... guess?  Just didn't sound interesting to me.
Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - No PSP, plenty of stuff on the DS to keep me entertained for the near future.
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - See above except add "also sounds blah."  I like free run ARPGs, don't like ToP / ToL style 2D ones.
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - Battle system sounds cool but I can only take so much JAPAN.  Also would play MK1 first anyway.

No thanks

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Friend of mine played it, said that the ARPG elements were way too simple and generally wasn't good.  Would probably skip to KH2 anyway if for some reason I did decide to try KH.
Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - SRPG that is supposed to be very easy except main character death = Game Over?  Bah, I'll just play FE.  Also yuck S4.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 10:22:13 PM »
Played and Beat

Played, have not yet Beaten

Have not played but am willing to

Only game I don't already own from this list is XS3, so me getting ahold of anything to play it is not an issue.

EDIT: This is not in any sort of order for what I would rather play or anything. That changes wildly by mood for me, so trying to order things that way would be rather pointless.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:24:15 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »
Funny you mention Alakazam, Machamp, Golem and Gengar as they're the exact 4 TRADE ONLY EVOS in Gen 1; weird coincedence.

The Pokemon who more or less appeared in EVERY version of the game, and aren't ranked yet, ignoring oddities like Pokemon XD are moer or less the following:

Golem (used by a lot of people since RBY; staple early game tank whose got good offense, and you'll hate fighting them early on before you get actual special attacks and/or grass/water/fighting moves.  Furthermore, 3 out of 4 of the FIRST GYM LEADERS use a Geodude.)

Alakazam (your token Psychic Type in every gen;  almost everyone has, at one point, used a Kadabra.  He's fundamentally the same in all games too, much like Golem; some changes in averages, loss of special defense, but that's about it; he's always relying on the same tricks and such.)

Magikarp/Gyarados (The token "Raise from crap, get something supposedly awesome!" Pokemon.  How good he is varies from Generation to Generation.  I place them like this, instead of listing the evo, cause I might actually support Magikarp over Gyarados cause he has far less interp issues between Generations (HE'S ALWAYS PUNY!), and probably more well known/iconic/etc.)

Psyduck/Golduck (listed separately for same reason as Magikarp/Gyarados.  Anyway, here's a Pokemon almost no one uses, and really only exists for HM Slaving...flipside, ITS FREAKING PSYDUCK.)

Crobat (you fight way too many Zubats throughout the game, you know exactly what they're capable of, and you even fight plenty of Golbats too; I think he's a good choice if only cause of the mere amounts of these guys you face.)

Tentacruel (Zubats of the sea!  Only less memorable since their annoyance factor isn't nearly as a high...)

Machamp (well known physical slugger, though he gets like 5x better between Gen 1 and later Gens.)

I think that more or less covers Pokemon who are in every single version of every single generation.   I think Pokemon like Gengar come close but miss out on something like Gen 3 (I know that despite their being a Ghost E4 Member, you did not face a Haunter/Gengar there, which makes me think there is no Gastly series in Hoehn), though are probably well known enough to just say "whatever, he can get in."

Just for curiousity sake, here's Pokemon typings we have represented in the DL:

Normal: Nothing! (AN EXCUSE TO RANK STARAPTOR?!?!?)
Fire: Charizard, Moltres, Typhlosion, Ho-oh, Blaziken
Grass: Venusaur, Meganium, Sceptile
Water: Blastoise, Feraligatr, Suicune, Swampert, Kyogre
Electric: Pikachu, Zapdos
Ground: Swampert, Groudon
Psychic: Mewtwo, Lugia
Fighting: Blaziken
Flying: Charizard, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia, Ho-oh, Rayquaza
Dragon: Rayquaza
Ghost: NOTHING! (Excuse to rank GENGAR?!?!)
Poison: Venusaur
Bug: NOTHING! (Excuse to rank HERACROSS AND BUTTERFREE!!!?)
Steel: NOTHING! (And this is why we need to rank MECHAPENGUIN.  Also Piplup hype)
Dark: NOTHING! (DARKR-*SHOT*)
Rock: NOTHING! (*insert Golem hype here*)
Ice: Articuno

NOTE: My hypes are just me being silly, feel free to ignore them <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »
I like this idea, but honestly aside from Alakazam there aren't that many pokemon who are in the first generation who are commonly used in the player's teams and make an appearance on an important opponent's team. The other possibilities that I immediately think of are Pidgeot, Gengar, and Arcanine, but Pidgeot's not that interesting, Gengar's only appears in Agatha's team and requires a trade to get (so does Alakazam, but he's a bit more memorable), and while Arcanine is on Blaine's team and has a possibility of being on Gary's team, he can only be acquired in one version without trading.

As for G/S and R/S/E, I can't think of any pokemon that are notable in G/S and the only one I can think of in R/S/E is Gardevoir and that one's a bit of a stretch.  D/P/Pt is really the only one that has multiple notable non-starters/legendaries as it has the trio of Roserade/Staraptor/Lucario who are all commonly used and appear on at least one important opponent's team.

How many Lights are really more interesting that Pidgeot who is/features:
--Semi Wind Reliance
--Anti Fighter Tricks (Evasion +, Enemy Attack Down)
--Weak to Ice and Lightning Magic (Which...well, for all that Pokemon in the DL, more weaknesses is something that I generally find to be pretty cool)

While not a powerhouse, I'd definitely argue on how interesting Pidgeot is. This is generally to say that even dull Pokemon duellers are going to have something about them that stands out DL wise.

CK, on holding back FWs...well, if none of the ideas are really ready this time, I'd rather throw in some fun duellers who are ready to go than something that's just going to struggle. Rank the FWs now, and if multiple new releases aren't ready in the future, then we don't have to rank anything.
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 12:00:25 AM »
then we don't have to rank anything.

History mocks the likelihood of a ranking failing to go through on draw issues once in the second stage.

Anyway, since RBY playship is such that there is zero need for more players for it, regardless of the viability of this as a ranking idea, requesting we let that issue go off to its own topic/drop now.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 06:06:38 AM »
Played:

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - FW Gastrodon
Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - FW Citrine
Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - FW Tony
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - FW Danved then rank Devdan
Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - FW Jie

Want to play:

1. MK2
2. RS
3. LPT - FW Chocolat
4. ST
5. PB - FW Marona
6. SN - FW Revya
7. KH - FW Ansem
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:51:42 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:11 AM »
Will comment on the viability of the games as I go.

Games I Played/Am Playing

Kingdom Hearts (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - This one, I just don't want to see ranked. Complete trainwreck.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers) - Eh. I'm going to finish Poképlat, sure, but the poor playership+draw+more starters on the same mold makes me feel unexcited about this. I'd much rather support gen 1 star-spangled Pokés instead. Rank Starmie and Alakazam.

Suikoden Tactics (Playstation 2, 8/17 writers) - Apathy on this as a DL rank. So much of its cast is -already- ranked.

Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy (Playstation 2, 5/17 writers) - Probably the one I'd like ranked the most out of this list. Most DL-friendly, has potential for internal growth and it, once again, provides a duelling cast that isn't dull. Probably much like MK1 as a rank.

Phantom Brave (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - I am going to bludgeon people with asian schoolgirls if this gets seriously considered for ranking. I'm not sure if it can even be sanely stat topiced due to the horrifying nature of equips and skills and the seven billion ways they can be interpreted. And that's not even getting into Marona, who has a "Kick Me" sign slapped on her back for ranking purposes.

Dragon Quest V/Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Super Famicom/Nintendo DS, 6/17 writers total) - Eh. More DQ.

Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Another game that has huge DL issues. Type translations are going to be a nightmare (FE WTA is one thing. When you have multiple weakness/resistance tiers that are arranged per class in a game whose class system spans an amount somewhere in the double-digits, though, you have a problem). Then, there is Revya - who, by the way, is the worst creature possible to consider for a FW. Someone with near Marona-level interp splits? Stay the fuck out. It doesn't help that, in practice, it proved to be a rather uninteresting DL game in those tourneys, I found. Dull+interp nightmares = bad DL combo. Or, more simply, this game deserves the asian schoolgirl bludgeoning approach almost as much as PB does.

Star Ocean/First Departure (Super Famicom/Playstation Portable, 8/17 writers total) - Played the original, wouldn't touch the remake even if I had access to it. Bleh to this game as a ranking idea as well.

Games That I Lack The Means To Play

Wild ARMs XF (Playstation Portable, 9/17 writers) - ;____;

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii, 6/17 writers) - ;____;

Games That I Haven't Played, But Theoretically Could

Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - The only reason I may play this is for trainwreck purposes. And I'm not paying for -that-. Past that, it's a terrible ranking idea: widely disliked, the bosses sound like a recipe for comical failure with the wildly varying respect levels due to retarded twinkability and the writers aren't there. Not even Allen FW is worth this disaster.

Radiata Stories (Playstation 2, 7/17 writers) - This sounds less rankable than KH and it also sounds like the type of game that makes you long for DQ gameplay. I've skipped on buying this game far too many times for a reason.

La Pucelle: Tactics (Playstation 2, 10-11/17 writers) - Disgaea-style N1 sounds as appealing to me as eating glass with ketchup. I'm never going to bother. As a rank, it also inspires massive apathy both for its drawing capabilities and its DL interest.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 06:40:05 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »
Have Played:
Pokemond Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - DNR. It's just so... bland, compared to the first few. It's like a magician throwing glitter into the air because he's out of tricks.
Wild Arms XF - Should be played by all. A thoroughly enjoyable game.
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Is a FE.
Star Ocean: First Departure - I'm slightly opposed to this being ranked. It feels like the weakest of the SO games (4 aside. Haven't played that yet)

Play Interest:
1. MK2
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Dragon Quest V
4. Soul Nomad
5. Radiata Stories
6. La Pucelle

Don't Want To Touch:
Suikoden Tactics
Xenosaga
Phantom Brave
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:29 AM »
Games I've Played All the Way Through
Uh...

Games I've Played Partially

Games I Will Definitely Play within the Next Year, No Questions Asked

Games I'll Try to Play within the Next Year if They Get Ranked

Little Interest/Don't Have the Necessary Console

Fuck No

Of all these ideas, the only one I'd really be willing to fight for is Radiant Dawn. If nothing else, it will let us rank some of my favorite Path of Radiance characters who missed out the first time (Ilyana, Astrid, Gatrie, Marcia...)

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
Hm.  Things are progressing pretty quickly (yay!) so... will probably lock the topic down to start tallying on Wednesday afternoon, and hopefully get numbers crunched by that evening at which point phase 3 begins.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:38 AM »
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (Playstation 2, 10/17 writers) - Another game that has huge DL issues. Type translations are going to be a nightmare (FE WTA is one thing. When you have multiple weakness/resistance tiers that are arranged per class in a game whose class system spans an amount somewhere in the double-digits, though, you have a problem).

Then, there is Revya - who, by the way, is the worst creature possible to consider for a FW. Someone with near Marona-level interp splits? Stay the fuck out. It doesn't help that, in practice, it proved to be a rather uninteresting DL game in those tourneys, I found. Dull+interp nightmares = bad DL combo. Or, more simply, this game deserves the asian schoolgirl bludgeoning approach almost as much as PB does.

Just a note on the typing-thing. I copied the exact class distribution from Tonfa's topic into the stat topic, but it divides out pretty easily as:
Human Melee
Human Ranged
Human Mage
Human Special (Clerics/Bards)
Monster Melee
Monster Ranged
Monster Mage

So it's not as big of an interp headache as you'd think.

As for Revya, well, he's Godlike whether you allow summoning or not, it's just a question of -how- Godlike. So not as bad as Marona. Even if you allow summoning though, he's still only Yuna-level Godlike since his squads don't stop him from being attacked and they don't get to act immediately. His best strategy is still to try for OHKO damage with Demon Blast.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
Djinn: There's still the bullshit caused by mounted classes (Phynx Knights and Gryphos Riders), as well as the fact that, for summons, you have the options of Los Banditos rooms, which lets them act immediately.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
SO4's boring as a rank. No pseudo support fighters such as Nel and Peppita who do a variety of interesting and variable things well. Meracle's hyped for invincible Blindside X Claw juggle spam, Reimi for Savage Sparrowed rush combos, Arumat for Dragon Roar SMASH, Bacchus for AoE locking with Black Sphere ... I don't know how/if those things would translate to duelling. I adore Meracle (and probably Reimi too if I ever get around to replaying SO4 to give her a more extensive run ... she wasn't around for plot reasons and I ended up switching her out permanently for Sarah and uhh ... I couldn't be assed trying different PCs post game *flees*!) and her juggle hax and/or Berserk + Focus + critical hits shenanigins but she's basically just a pure brawler. So's Bacchus. As are Arumat and Reimi I believe. The mages ... (Lymle, Sarah, Myuria) ... SO mages. Yeah.

I believe Star Ocean FD has PCs akin to Nel and Peppita which is why I'm interested in playing. If so I'd definitely consider them more interesting as duellers than SO4's cast. Actually I do know one of the PCs has dances but not the variations between theirs and Peppita's =-)
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"