Author Topic: Henchmen Anonymafia - GAME OVER - SCUM WIN  (Read 37810 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Henchmen Anonymafia - Day 3 LYLO
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:01 AM »
MOD ANNOUNCEMENT

Alright, I've noticed the meta on Whim, and I just want to clear a few things up.  Firstly, in my last game modding for Mafia, the Scum team got torn apart by Modkills.  So if Town were to lose this game on a modkill, I'd be perfectly happy to accept that as Karmic justice.  So, if Whim is town, and she does not post in twelve hours, then this game is over.  (Fortunately for the lot of you, I have assurances this is not to be the case)

Secondly, I generally dislike modkills as a rule.  So, I will try and avoid them, regardless of which side they are on.

Thirdly, I did not actually go out of my way on this.  During Night 2 I got a message from someone who was not playing to the tune of "I hear you need a replacement." to which I went "That I do."  This person is known to me, and to a few others, and should be able to play a good game, so I made the switch.  But it should be noted that I did not seek a replacement, and was actually planning to go ahead with the modkill as scheduled when this opportunity was presented to me.

Play with the meta if you like, but know that I did not pay attention to it when making these decisions.

Margaret Houlihan

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2009, 06:44:21 AM »
Welp, I'm not any happier about my replacement being into LyLo any more than you folks are, but here I am.  Also, apologies for the lack of flavor, but we really don't have any wiggle room to screw around here.  I'm going to launch directly into LyLo analysis, and then I'm going to analyze the rest of the thread to narrow down the possibilities.

I'm VT.  Everyone else but Gilgamesh has now claimed.  If Gumshoe is town, then Gilgamesh is either scum or a power role, and Axem is scum.  If Axem is town, then Oddjob and Smithers are town, and Gumshoe is scum.  Note that we can't draw any other definite conclusions from one of them being scum - it's quite possible that they're both scum and this is a sacrificial gambit, which would indicate that they thought we were on the track to lynching scum today anyway.

Gilgamesh's claim will be very important here - even in an 8:3 game, I wouldn't expect to see a Cop, a Doc, a Tracker, plus another role, all town.  Scum would have to have some strong power roles of their own to balance that, and I haven't seen any indication of any scum power roles at all so far, so Occam's razor says at least one of them is scum.  Depending on Gilgamesh's claim, the game balance argument alone might indicate that two among them are scum.  The game balance argument also pretty much rules out a Gumshoe-Gilgamesh-Axem team, since I don't think the town would be given only a Doc and a Ghost Writer in an 8:3 game.  Objectively speaking, these criteria limit the possible scum trios to the following:

Axem-Dick-Gilga,  Axem-Dick-Guild,  Axem-Dick-Oddjob,  Axem-Dick-Smithers,  Axem-Dick-Whim,  Axem-Gilga-Guild
Axem-Gilga-Oddjob,  Axem-Gilga-Smithers,  Axem-Gilga-Whim,  Axem-Guild-Oddjob,  Axem-Guild-Smithers,  Axem-Guild-Whim
Axem-Oddjob-Smithers,  Axem-Oddjob-Whim,  Axem-Smithers-Whim,  Dick-Gilga-Guild,  Dick-Gilga-Whim,  Dick-Guild-Whim

Speaking from my own perspective, I can see that the only possible scumteam that doesn't have Axem is the 3G one.  Gilga's claim will narrow down even more of the possibilities, depending on the details.

(Ninja'd:  And I just now realize that I hadn't considered the possibility of a Godfather.  Bleh.  Oh well, then keep in mind that Smithers or Oddjob might be scum with Axem town, but that the likelihood is quite small when considering the unlikelihood of a Godfather in an 8:3 game.)

But that's just cold analysis, which anyone could come up with.  I'm going to try and weight these possibilities with a reread while we wait for Gilgamesh to show up and claim, but until then, some more subjective impressions of this LyLo:  Firstly, Axem's claim does look good in that he chose two living players as his investigative results.  In my experience, scum making a fakeclaim are more likely to pick dead players as investigations, rather than risk either tying themselves to a scumbuddy or protecting a townie from a lynch depending on who they claim as cleared.  He also claimed early in the day, which indicates that if he's scum, then he was planning to do so from the start - again, only likely if he saw scum getting lynched today anyway and wanted to pre-empt the case.

I also get bad vibes from Smithers trying to claim that I have a meta clear.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it looks like he's trying to use a really weak point to lull the replacer into a false sense of security so that the replacer will say something stupid.  Ditto for Guildenstern going along with it.  Gotcha games in LyLo are very much a scummy thing.

Okay, now for my re-read.  For the record, at this point, Axem's claim looks plausible enough that I'm willing to consider the 3G team instead of one of the many Axem ones, but I'm not ruling either of them out.  I'm thinking that it'd be smartest to lynch the G that's most likely to be on a team with Axem, then see if Axem survives 'till tomorrow and what he claims his investigation as if so.  So if I had to place a vote right now, it'd probably be on Guildenstern.  An Axem-Guildenstern-Smithers team wouldn't surprise me.

Zerg Rush

• Denizen
  • Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »
I saw the update in the morning, and then got stuck basically the whole day away from a means of replying. So here I am, ready to be rather minimal.

First off, I'm vanilla town. Second off, Gumshoe's lying.

##Vote: Gumshoe

I don't think this is even a hard call for others to make, even without this; the way he stonewalled the vote yesterday by swinging in to put it at 3/3/3 was such a bullshit move to pull, and he was clearly defending one (or both) of Guildenstern or Whim.

I'm leaning towards believing the Axem's and a lot of it is due to setup meta, which is pointing towards the 'both' option. I'm entertaining the thought of an Oddjob godfather, but it just doesn't feel right; I expect godfathers to be somewhat more active than he's been (and unlike Gumshoe, his switch onto Weasels really does look like an effort to kill a lurker rather than bullshit, although coordination isn't impossible and argh I'm not sure and this needs to be said now.)

Either way, Gumshoe's definitely scum.
Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke! Kekekeke!

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
Time limit: It's LYLO, there's no time limit.

Whim Limit: 4.5 hou...  oh who am I kidding.  She posted, there's no Whim limit.

Votes: It's LYLO, there's no vote...  wait, what?!

Gumshoe (1): Gilgamesh

Not Voting: Everyone not named Gilgamesh, or dead...

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
Okay, so I thought Gilgamesh would have posted by now, but I guess not. I've got bored waiting, though, so I've ended up writing a code to help the penguins. This is not an appeal to 'look good' or whatever - this is plain old neutral boredom.

Prinnies! 17 syllables isn't many, so here's some help to pack more meaning into that space. I've mapped each remaining player to a letter, and then all groups of three to a monosyllabic word:

2. Axem Rangers: A
3. Dick Gumshoe: E
4. Gilgamesh: H
5. Guildenstern: N
6. Oddjob: R
9. Waylon Smithers: S
11. Whim: T

AcHE
bEAN
ARE
SEA
ATE
HANg
HARm
HAgS
HAT
RAN
SANg
ANT
RagS
ART
SAT

HEN
HER
SHE
THE
NERd
SiNE
NET
SiRE
TERm
SET

HoRN
SHiN
HuNT
SHiRk
HuRT
THiS

RuNS
TRoN
ToNS

SoRT

Or use your own, but I recommend at least this style (capitalise relevant letters, and bonus letters should not be of the relevant set) and these letters to make sense. Similarly if you want to express pairs. For just one person, I recommend shortening Axem Rangers to 'Gers, Dick Gumshoe to Dick, Gilgamesh to Gilg or 'Mesh, Guildenstern to Guild, Oddjob to... either half and myself to Smith, Whim not needing the treatment. Perhaps also consider a 1-10 scale for least scummy to most scummy.

Ninja: oh, there he is. And not even remotely what I was expecting (which was a second cop claim, which I wouldn't have thought of as immediately inferior to the Axems). Give me a bit to actually think about this now.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
Note to Prinnies, and apologies to Smithers.  But acronyms of proper nouns are still proper nouns.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2009, 01:53:52 PM »
Well, first thought is that sure, obviously at least one of Dick and Gilgamesh is scum.

Second thought is that it's a damn weird move for Dick to make assuming he saw it coming.

Third thought is that at least one of Axem and Gumshoe is town, surely. So if I'm to assume Axem scum then he's at least paired with Gilgamesh.

Ninja: as in the acronyms would count for the full syllable cost, or that the Prinnies aren't allowed to write using proper nouns?

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
That's the Prinnie's info to give out.  At least until the game ends.

Margaret Houlihan

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »
So, at least one of Gilgamesh and Gumshoe must now be scum.  This sinks all possible Axem-Guildenstern scumteams, including the one I favored up until now.  Speaking from the position of knowing my own towniness, either both Gilga and Gumshoe are scum in a 3G team, or else I'm looking for the one that's Axem's scumbuddy, in which case there is only one right answer.  For an 8:3 game to be balanced, one of the two living claimed power roles must be legit.  So, Axem and Gumshoe are not scumbuddies.  Therefore, Gilgamesh is scum either way.

##Vote: Gilgamesh

I'm certain that my vote is safe here, so there's no point holding back.  I don't expect the other townies to be convinced so quickly, but you should keep in mind that for Gilgamesh to be innocent would require me to be guilty.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »
Starting from the assumption that the game hasn't ended yet and I just don't know it, [at least] one each of the pairs (Dick, Gilgamesh), (Gilgamesh, Whim) must be scum.

Assume Gilgamesh isn't scum. Therefore the other two are. Pairings are:

1) Dick-Whim-Axem
2) Dick-Whim-Guild
3) Dick-Whim-Oddjob
4) Dick-Whim-Smithers

Case 1) I drop out of balance issues. Case 4) I drop because I am town. Case 3) I drop a little less certainly on account of balance issues of 8:3 with a godfather up against just a cop and a doc (for reference, given I had to work it out to understand her logic, Whim has also dropped the possibility of town{Axem, Whim, Dick/Gilgamesh} on the grounds that it requires a godfather to work).

So if I'm to assume townGilgamesh then I'm just about dedicating myself to a scum team of Dick, Whim and Guildenstern. The trouble here is that this is an entirely plausible scum team for me (assuming I don't apply the meta that I'm getting shouted at for supposing), both in that all three have done a pretty bad job all game and in that Gilgamesh has never been on my bad side.

Conversely, it also means that if I'm looking at scumAxem then he must be paired with scumGilgamesh (with the third being one of Guildenstern, Oddjob or Whim), which means that at least one of my reads (scumAxem, townGilgamesh) was incorrect.

tl;dr: I've made a bunch of misreads this game, so am now hesitating horribly on being freely presented a really obvious path.

Excal: well, I know which of those I'm going to assume and could try to munch the situation again, but I think it's best that I opt by the 'no silly buggers' rule and leave the role to run as you intended.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
Argh I hate all this thinking.

I'm too tired to think, not going to look at this mess in detail until tomorrow.

No scumhammers, so that's good at least. Zzzz.

Tohsaka Rin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2009, 04:04:19 PM »
Ninja: oh, there he is. And not even remotely what I was expecting (which was a second cop claim, which I wouldn't have thought of as immediately inferior to the Axems).

I actually saw this coming as a confusion tactic. I believe Gilgamesh and Gumshoe are a scum pair trying to throw everyone off with this nonsense.

The action referenced in Post 223 is Gumshoe claiming as early as he did. I believe TownGumshoe with a Gilgamesh action in hand would not have jumped the gun in that fashion - instead, he would have seen my claim, realized the implications if I was indeed telling the truth, and held back to see what Gilgamesh had to say before springing his info (to make himself sure of what was going on if no one else). Claiming before Gilgamesh had posted gave Gilgamesh free reign to claim a variety of things, including the smokescreen vanilla claim. I think Gumshoe claimed what he did for just that purpose, with the additional benefit of actually knowing what scum buddy Gilgamesh would have been doing Night 1 (in case Whim had something to knock a different claim over).

With this decision I am set to toss the idea of GFSmithers/GFOddjob and focus on one of Guildenstern and Whim as the remaining scum. I am fine with voting either of Shoe or 'Mesh with a slight preference leaning toward 'Mesh due to me thinking he's a roleblocker (based on Shoe telling the truth for Whim-related reasons noted above and vanilla Smithers not being aware of being targeted) and I'd rather knock the potential roleblocker out simply because it eliminates all possible scum chicanery with RBing me and killing Smithers and Oddjob to make me look suspicious. However, this is not set in stone, and I am open to discussion wrt voting Shoe instead.

(Reread turned up nothing spectacular aside from reminding me how cruise control lurkertastic Gilgamesh has been all game, as well as pointing out Gumshoe's scummy swing to Oddjob late in Day 1 which I'm kicking myself for missing and pursuing the red herring Smithers flip-flop instead.)

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:54 PM »
The risk of failure stresses me the hell out, as loss in this position means me having screwed up massively one way or the other, be it from being talked down from being correct on Axem or from somehow talking myself out of the 'obvious' answer in the final day. Well, I'm going to have to take a step somewhere regardless.

My conclusion is that Axem's played a really good day three if he is scum. The early cop claim doesn't faze me very much (scum angle of being a rolecop and having scanned both myself and Oddjob as vanilla is simple enough without touching more complicated possibilities), but just about everything else following it falls into place really neatly. A bit of a wurgle over scanning Oddjob over me on night 1 and obviously plenty for the following railroad, but on the whole it's all so minor compared to the other way around.

I can't help but find the scumDick and scumGilgamesh position pushed compelling. It's that and a few random things here and there that really stick in my head that really push it.

On the other hand, this conclusion throws me more towards Gumshoe than it does Gilgamesh, and a re-read is most damning of Gumshoe of the pair. I think I'm looking at three out of Dick, Guildenstern, Gilgamesh and Whim, in that descending order, and it's the Gilgamesh~Whim twiddle that halts me short of voting Gilgamesh.

Blah. I get this far and yet I still don't have the balls to put my vote down. If I'm playing weak and safe then it goes to Dick. The stronger but riskier play is the vote for Gilgamesh.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Okay, I'm going for the wuss option, as further thought suggests that the stronger option doesn't necessarily help any more.

Time to find out if I've been played like a fiddle.

##VOTE: Dick Gumshoe

Tohsaka Rin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:10 PM »
Musing by myself has actually swung me over to the idea of voting Gumshoe first (mostly because of the power role claim counter to my own), but there's one last thing I want to go back through the topic and look at (in case I'm killed tonight) so no vote yet.

Tohsaka Rin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »
Alright.

##Vote: Dick Gumshoe

On the matter of Guildenstern vs. Whim, should it comes down to these two on the final day, I feel Guildenstern is more likely to be scum. The arguments against him have been better and come from more reliable sources (Smithers in particular) than those on Whim, and his pair of "maybe but maybe nots" on Day 2 stand out as truly bizarre. It's possible Whim stumbles in future days but she's done nothing notably wrong today as far as I'm concerned.

Tohsaka Rin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 18, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »
I will be gone for several hours for a performance followed by post-performance festivities. I will be back later this evening to talk more if necessary, though I expect the day to be over by then.

Princess Leia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
No proper nouns, dood.
Kill the most guaranteed scum.
You must be right, now.

Haruhi Suzumiya

• 17/F/nishinomiya if ur an ALIEN or ESPER or TIME TRAVELER c me!!!
  • Denizen
  • SOS BRIGADE SUPEREME COMMANDER
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 18, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
Time limit: ZOMG NONE!

Whim Limit: cum back 2 my place after the game and well find out if u know what 1 mean :3

Votes:

Gumshoe (3): Gilgamesh, Smithers, Axem Rangers
Gilgamesh (1): Whim

Not Voting: Everyone else

With 7 alive it takes 4 licks to get to the cneter of Whimchan's Tootsie Roll Pop
oh wait we were supposed ti find that out after the game
o well

Tanaka

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »

What the hell, pal?! Keep in mind that this is Lylo. LYLO, pal! We lose if I get lynched now, you hear me?
Seeing those votes and no scum jump in the last however long makes me suspect the Axems even more - although I'm seriously wondering why Smithers is voting me, and considering that I may've been wrong about Oddjob. Gah.
Naturally, I'm gonna be voting for the one who, you know, is ACTUALLY MAFIA. I'm Town Watcher, I've said that. If you guys choose not to believe it, then... well, our loss. Simple as that.
##Vote: Gilgamesh
Most likely to get support. I'm fairly certain it's Gilgamesh/Axem, at least, based on the votes, and that 3rd place is anyone's guess. I'm thinking it likely to be Oddjob, with Smithers as the least likely due to the scuff with the Axems. Possible scum gambit? Maybe, but damn unlikely.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 18, 2009, 11:44:06 PM »
I've made my choice. If you're not scum, then we've already lost, and we're just waiting on presumably scumOddjob (I've seen both Guildenstern and Whim on since myself and Axem placed votes) to wake up to put me out of my misery.

Maya Kumashiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 18, 2009, 11:53:36 PM »
For the record, as Smithers noted I saw the results, just want to reread Gumshoe / Gilgamesh in the thread before casting my vote.  And that probably won't happen until a good bit later tonight, need to go on a sailing trip to England tonight, will hopefully be on later.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 19, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Guildenstern: bear in mind that, if the game isn't over yet (and I'm hoping Oddjob will be waking up about now so I at least don't have to keep this meta-state up for ages), if Gumshoe isn't scum then the scum team has to be the three of us sitting on him now. It's not just a one on one face off as it is.

Maya Kumashiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2009, 12:54:11 AM »
I realize that, yes.  Unfortunately it's a possible scumteam in the (what my gut says is unlikely) event you and Axem were a fake dispute.

And now I'm gone for real.  (Well, 'till later, at least).

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 19, 2009, 12:55:06 AM »
##UNVOTE: Dick Gumshoe

Just give me a second to think something through here.