Register

Author Topic: Let's get a MnM system going (P&P RP discussion)  (Read 4616 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Let's get a MnM system going (P&P RP discussion)
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
So we've been kicking the idea around in chat to play some Mutants and Masterminds. This is a well-designed superhero themed RP system.

The idea is, instead of structured groups that meet all the dang time, people who want to can come up with characters and plot them out, and they'll exist in this happy little co-GMed universe and go on missions when it's convenient to the players. That is, you will not have to meet every week or whatever. Action will mostly be for small groups of characters who go on individualized missions, but there's nothing that prevents us from mixing and matching. The setting lends itself to that very nicely.

So yeah. Myself and several others were talking in chat. I'm on new and exciting medication right now, so I am drowsy as all get out, and maybe someone who's a bit more coherent can help flesh this out. It's a good idea and everyone should join the festivities.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Let's get a MnM system going (P&P RP discussion)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 07:47:09 AM »
I would be interested in participating should stuff actually happen! Usual caveats about VSM + attention span apply?

I know naught of MnM, though.

Taishyr

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »
Yo.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »
I would be interested in participating should stuff actually happen! Usual caveats about VSM + attention span apply?

I know naught of MnM, though.
I can "teach" you how to play pretty easily.

As for VSM attention span: Yes and No

Yes because, well, I'm me and I almost always go on these weird little runs where I do things and then suddenly don't do things. And I have to read through the material once or twice again myself to really get the right grasp on it to run a game. But that should go off without a hitch.

No because, by design, this is a lot more casual than before. Again, this will not be a regularly scheduled game and will not necessarily have me GMing every time. The idea I was pretty sure we came up with last night was that we'd be dinking around with pretty well whoever was convenient at the time.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Double-post time!

So yeah, if you're even remotely interested, or just want to see what the system is like, form an orderly line here, and I'll do what I can to make sure you have a grasp on it.

>_>

<_<

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »
Yeah, that was the idea we were tossing around in chat.  A few people were complaining about how the games they were in were running slow or not when scheduled *eyes the Rat* and somehow the M&M system came up and we started talking about how well that lends itself to a group where not everyone can be there all the time.  It's like a superhero group like the Justice League or something: the whole group doesn't go out on every single case, a couple of the ones that are available jump out and do stuff.  This allows players to play even if for some reason one member of the team can't be around, and also allows us to mix up the team dynamics without having to actually scrap our character if we don't want to.  It was also thrown out there that maybe more people than just VSM would like to run a few of the missions, so he could play some of the time and we don't completely lose everything if he just doesn't feel like it or something. >_>

I'm still in, of course, as I mentioned last night.  Haven't decided if I'm going to keep that old character or not, I'll read through the rulebook again and decide later.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 05:08:57 PM »
We might need to run the characters by more than just me, too. Since I've never actually played this game, I'm not quite 100% on how characters are supposed to be built. It'll take a while to work out all the bugs, but I have a good feeling!

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 12:19:29 AM »
I would be interested in playing--if I could find an IRC client that'd let me join more than #rpgdl, anyway.

Not that I have an objection with being able to join the #rpgdl chat.  I just have issues with being unable to go to other rooms. ^^;
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 01:02:57 AM »
Interested.  Friday and Saturday nights are best for me currently.  I'm willing to GM as well, although I don't know the system.

Taishyr

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 02:05:43 AM »
Once I get a feel for how the system runs, I could probably help run stuff too.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 02:57:27 AM »
I'd love to join, except... well, you know how my connection is.

HOWEVER! If this gets going long enough, I'm hoping that Messiah College has good internet service, which means that I'd be able to participate on the laptop I plan on having by then.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
Noted and noted. Hit me up on IRC or AIM sometime. I'll help you guys out.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 07:34:11 AM »
Is there an SRD or something for this? I'm curious about the system, at least.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
He's got a PDF version of the rulebook, poke him online and he can pass it on.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
I get a lot of people saying they're interested in looking at the game, or possibly playing, but almost no one actively asks for the material.

Since I'm in chat pretty well indefinitely, I should be very easy to access. Getting the information to you guys is a snap. It's just somewhat time-consuming. So please, if you're interested, try to actually get hold of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, it strikes me that I have an awful lot of world-building to take care of. Some things I can keep sort of... uh... on the back-burner. Others, I probably can't.

If anyone wants any say on how things ought to work, or if they have a fun idea, by all means, hit me up. In theory, this is a shared project, so I'll let others have some say in the actual setting.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 04:23:58 AM »
'kay. What I've actually been wondering is what kind of scale we'd be working on. Like, are we kind of a local task force patrolling a particular city, or an established World Saving Organization? Because how much experience our characters are likely to have prior to the start of the game will significantly influence what kind of character I run.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:59 AM »
Noted.

What I'm considering at this time is that you're members of a large-scale superheroing task-force. A sort of omni-team that encompasses many (but not all) of the country's heroing population.

You can be as established as you like, but you should have at least a general idea of how your powers work. You're being trusted with the lives of many.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If someone has a better idea that still lends itself to a revolving door cast, I'm open to suggestions.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »
Can someone with the source material get hold of the Captain at some point? It's failed through me.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »
I'ma guessing this is an IRC game? No go for me then. My university internet blocks the IRC application :(

It sounds like it'd be a fun time though!

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 07:04:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that, new guy. It's an open invite, so assuming the game ever gets off the ground and something changes with you, feel free to give me a shout.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »
You could try my way of getting onto IRC, using Chatzilla.  It's technically part of Firefox so it might avoid the firewall issues or whatever the problem is.  Worth a shot, anyway?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 06:39:28 AM »
I'm going to start throwing up some characters to help get the ball rolling on this.  Replace "Justice Dudes" with whatever the name of our Super Squad ends up being.

=======================
Arthur Meitz, aka ESCUTCHEON

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 30 (+10)
Intelligence: 12 (+1)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 8 (-1)

Attack bonus: 5
Defense bonus: 0

Saving Throws: Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Reflex -1, Will +1

Skills: Computers 2, Knowledge (Technology) 2

Feats: All-Out Attack, Interpose

Powers: Immunity 89 (Life Support, Immune to lethal and nonlethal physical and energy damage)***

Arthur Meitz was a socially inept teenager.  His powers manifested one summer weekend after he graduated from high school.  Spending the weekend alone at home, he went to sleep on Friday evening.  Upon awakening, he discovered it was Monday afternoon.  There was some kind of broken cocoon-like shell on the bed beneath him.  He does not know what happened during the three days he slept.

Arthur began noticing strange things about himself.  He never became tired, or sleepy, or hungry.  Falling or stubbing his toe caused no pain.  With some experimentation, he realized that there seemed to be nothing which could actually hurt him.

Immediately discarding his plans for college, he applied for membership in the Justice Dudes under the codename Escutcheon.  Though they were initially leery of his complete lack of combat prowess, his total invulnerability became an asset to the team.

Escutcheon is immune to most forms of damage.  He is still vulnerable to mental attacks, and he has no special protection against magic.  Since he is no stronger than a normal person, he can easily be tied up and ignored by enemies.  His body is in a sort of stasis.  No amount of exercise will make him more muscular, and he does not appear to age.  Although he is now 25, he still looks like an unpopular 18-year-old kid.  Arthur is very sensitive about his appearance, and gets offended easily.

On missions, Escutcheon typically leads the charge to trigger any traps or expose enemy ambushes.  He will put himself in the line of fire to protect his teammates whenever possible.  He has been studying offensive martial arts to increase his usefulness to the team, although he is somewhat hampered in this by his physical limitations.

Escutcheon lives at Justice Dudes Base fulltime.  Since he doesn't sleep or eat, he has no need for an outside identity or job.  He usually mans the Danger Monitor while the other heroes are resting.

***Yes, the immunity is broken as hell.  However, the GM can override it as needed.  If the GM says he gets hurt by being punched by the Hulk, then he gets hurt (but not much!).  Likewise, mundane energy sources like fire won't hurt him, but "cosmic" energy can, at the GM's discretion.  Most enemies that have fought him before just ignore him and concentrate on his teammates, since Escutcheon isn't much of an offensive threat.  In addition, he may never increase his Strength, Dex, or Con through experience - his body just doesn't change.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 04:57:53 PM »
You could try my way of getting onto IRC, using Chatzilla.  It's technically part of Firefox so it might avoid the firewall issues or whatever the problem is.  Worth a shot, anyway?

I tried this the other day, actually. Didn't seem to work either. I tried like 10 times that night. The second time, it actually started to go through before it timed out again :(

I'll giver a try again tonight.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »
That character concept is awesome, Cap'n. Well done.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 06:25:13 AM »
By the way, anyone is welcome to add to these characters I'm posting.  As far as I'm concerned, they're community property.  Although the lack of skills on Escutcheon is intentional, since he's supposed to be a loser superhero.

Also, feel free to check my designs for errors, since I'm new to this system also.

Anyway, new character time!  I promise I'll do a serious one next.  >_> <_<

=================
The Tilde~

Every super team has one guy that's just a little bit nutty.  The Tilde is crazy enough for several teams at once.  Nobody knows where he came from, how he got his powers, or even his real name (although he responds well to Sir Stanley Froppingsash).

Inability to hold a coherent thought aside, The Tilde is a valuable member of the Justice Dudes.  He spins merrily through combat, taunting his enemies and touting the virtues of Cucumber Ice Pepsi.  Surprisingly, he does follow his leader's orders well.  Perhaps he's smarter than he looks, and just isn't letting the rest of us in on the joke.

Abilities (16 pts):
Strength 14 (+2)
Dexterity 20 (+5)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 18 (+4)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 10 (+0)

Attack bonus 5 (10 pts)
Defense bonus 10 (20 pts)

Saving Throws:
Toughness +2 (+12 while spinning)
Fortitude +2
Reflex +5
Will +0 (+15 vs Mental attacks)

Skills (4 pts):
Bluff 10
Perform (Oratory) 6

Feats (6 pts):
Fearless
Distract (Bluff)
Taunt
Evasion 2 (only while spinning)
Move-by Action (only while spinning)

Powers (76 pts):
Mind Shield 15 (15 pts) - There's just not anything there for a mentalist to work with.
Spinning 10 (21 pts) - The Tilde can spin rapidly, which lightens him and enables him to see in all directions.  The Tilde must be spinning to use the following powers:
Super Movement 4 (8 pts) - Trackless, Water Walking, Slow Fall, Wall-Crawling)
Deflect 10 (11 pts) - slow projectiles only, free action
Strike 10 (10 pts)
Trip 10 (11 pts) - +knockback

Total cost: 132 points